Demonland

Place your votes here 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

6 Bate

5 Davey

4 Green

3 Bruce

2 Rivers

1 Jones

Bate and Davey could have gone either way. Davey perhaps better all day long, and Bate started slowly, But Bate finished with 2.2, 3 goal assists, 3 inside 50's and 17 touches and was probably our most important player forward. For the record Davey had 30 touches, 3 inside 50's 1 goal assist but didn't score.

Green got 17 touches and kicked 3 goals, bruce could argue BOG with 29 touches, 2.1 and 4 inside 50s, Rivers had 17 touches, 2 inside 50s, 7 rebounds from 50 and 94% effective disposal, While Jones almost got it by default because he got a lot of the pill (25 touches) and while I read that Cale had alot of it, I sort of didn't notice him throughout the day, and while Bennel did some nice things, I think they are worthy of a mention rather than a vote.

6- Davey

5- Bruce

4- Morton

3- Rivers

2- Bennell

1- Frawley

Encouragement votes to Martin (it would be too biased of me to give him 6 votes :P), Miller (for working his butt off again) and Meesen (for not being as horrible as I thought he'd be! :D)

Am I the only one who thought Bate was terrible? He's SO slow, and gets lost in the contest far too often. My dad describes him perfectly when he says "so close, yet so far away".

Am I the only one who thought Bate was terrible?

We might have to agree to disagree there :D

He will never be our number 1 key forward, but I would love to see him playing with a couple of talls around him. He can use his strength on a half forward flank, and I don't think he is that slow, I think it is his agility (ie very slow turning around) that causes him problems. He seems to me to be reasonably smart, and he is learning to use his body a lot better. Hopefully he keeps improving.

1- Frawley

I dont disagree here either, he played really well and was on a tough opponent. It wasn't his fault many of the times that motlop scored. Nor was it always warnocks fault RE treadre. Where were his teammates plugging holes? And why was martin on ebert? That has to be a size mismatch doesn't it?

They're ready to delist him at Demonology. Want to get someone in with the kicking skills of Palmer. ;)

Bate's kicking may not be great, but he showed some great signs toward the end of the game like taking a great contested mark. That is what we want to see.

If Bate can keep taking those marks that we desperately need inside our 50, kicking skills can come after.

And why was martin on ebert? That has to be a size mismatch doesn't it?

Because Martin is awesome and tore Ebert a new one? ;)

Just goes to show how quick Martin is for his size, that he can play on someone of Ebert's size.

They're ready to delist him at Demonology. Want to get someone in with the kicking skills of Palmer. ;)

Bate was responsible for a third of our score either directly or indirectly. Although he has the turning circle of the titanic his pressure, multiple leads and bustling today were exactly what you want from your third forward. We now just need to find the first and second forward and we will be right.

6. Davey

5. Bate

4. Green

3. Bruce

2. Frawley

1. Bennell

Can't agree with Jaded about Bate. He is never going to be a high marking, pack busting forward, but i would guess that he leads our team in goal assists this year, has a great work rate, is reliable in frot of goals and is actually one of the few players on our list that can cause a spill of the ball from a tackle.

I am not sure how effective Martin was, as i there was not much need to to direct the ball to him when you had Tredrea 10 meteres in the clear on leads, or resting ruckman down there monstering us.

Martin is quick for his size, but Martin's main fault is when possessing the footy he is sometimes unsure of what to do.

I think we can cut a big man playing his 10th game at AFL level a bit of slack. He meets the Rising Star criteria apart from his age.

This bloke has a huge upside.

Bate was responsible for a third of our score either directly or indirectly. Although he has the turning circle of the titanic his pressure, multiple leads and bustling today were exactly what you want from your third forward. We now just need to find the first and second forward and we will be right.

I also through he good. 17 touches, 8 contested @ 76% effective, 2 goals 2 behinds with 3 assists. A solid return for a forward in a good team, let alone the current MFC.

I think Bate played a Good game, but people on this fourm always put

him down, remember he is playing on there best backmen every week.

If we had a gun foward we would play a great 2nd or 3rd foward.

Well I guess I'll have to concede defeat on the Bate issue.

He is an extremely frustrating player IMO, he is absolutely hopeless below his knees, and too often gets pushed aside in a marking contest. Yes he worked very hard today, and his kicking is generally very good, but he never really influences a match, he just teases us with glimpses of good play.

I'm with you...its a bit rough bagging a bloke who has 8 contested possessions :huh:

Votes:

6 - Davey

5 - Green

4 - Rivers

3 - Bruce

2 - Bate

1 - Morton

Well I guess I'll have to concede defeat on the Bate issue.

He is an extremely frustrating player IMO, he is absolutely hopeless below his knees, and too often gets pushed aside in a marking contest. Yes he worked very hard today, and his kicking is generally very good, but he never really influences a match, he just teases us with glimpses of good play.

I think sometimes we need to think more about the reality of our team and it's lack of any superstar players.

Would the likes of Clinton Young, Campbell Brown, Corey Enright, Cameron Mooney or Andrew Mackie be considered gun players if the played individually on our team, or would they just tease us with glimpses?