How many goals would Newton kick in a season if he played for Geelong?

pringle

How many goals would Newton kick in a season if he played for Geelong?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having started his career with such promise, Newton has yet to kick on. However I believe that in a better team with good delivery into the forward 50, he would be a very handy forward who could potentially kick plenty of goals. I'm not trying to say that he's a 100 goal a year player, but I do think that being in a team with a poor midfield for the past few years has hindered his development. Interested to see what others think.

He'd do a lot better than that spud Hawkins whom we should note has kicked 9 of his 27 goals in 6 quarters against Melbourne. A number of these were land-in-the-lap, dribble-over-the-goal-line jobs.

Take the Dees out of the equation and he's a goal a game full-forward. This is nothing to get too excited about. Notwithstanding the similar overall contributions Newton gets [censored] poured on him playing in a team with scant and dud delivery whereas Hawkins gets loads of opportunity, some of which is lace-out, but escapes criticism largely.

Comparison

Disagree sorry. I don't think Newton is AFL standard. Unable to stand tall in a contseted situation and not particularly good on the lead spilling his marks at the vital moment. I hope he kicks eight a game for the next three weeks at Casey then comes in and blows our mind. Can't see it happening

Talk about rose-coloured glasses?!?

Wouldn't get a game.

He'd get 20 playing on and off for their VFL side.

He has a long way to go...

If recent adequate performances is the start then that's great.

Great understanding of the topic guys. You don't have to agree that he would do better at Geelong. This is called a hypothetical. If he was in the team, how many would he kick?

By all means say he's no good and would kick 7 goals in 22 games or something to that effect. I asked how many he would kick if he played a full season with Geelong. Surely there is someone here who is not so bitter about the fact that we are crap and have players that are not up to standard who make our forwards look worse. I don't think Lonergan is much better than Newton and he still managed to kick a few goals due to lovely delivery.

There are many serviceable forwards at other clubs who are probably not as good as Newton, but they at least get a few more opportunities a game. How many would Newton kick if he had those same opprtunities?

FWIW, I think he's an ok to average footballer who would be good for 40-60 goals over 22 games in a good side with a gun forward taking the opposition's no 1 defender. And with time and class around him he could improve on that.

Great understanding of the topic guys. You don't have to agree that he would do better at Geelong. This is called a hypothetical. If he was in the team, how many would he kick?

By all means say he's no good and would kick 7 goals in 22 games or something to that effect. I asked how many he would kick if he played a full season with Geelong. Surely there is someone here who is not so bitter about the fact that we are crap and have players that are not up to standard who make our forwards look worse. I don't think Lonergan is much better than Newton and he still managed to kick a few goals due to lovely delivery.

There are many serviceable forwards at other clubs who are probably not as good as Newton, but they at least get a few more opportunities a game. How many would Newton kick if he had those same opprtunities?

Get the message....... zero.

No one lets down Newton more than Newton does. He simply refuses to work hard,commit and contest. Good or better delivery does mask over that

Your assessment is a cop out because you cant accept he cant cut it.

A sub standard AFL player is a sub standard AFL player in any club. Over the years other clubs seem to be able to cut the chaff earlier than MFC does. In particular on this site, there are posters that bizarrely glorify the ordinary. This is a case in point.

80+ a year, easy. Now if only we can convince Geelong of that, and maybe they'll pay a hefty price. Three first round draft picks and Gary Ablett Jr should just about cover it.

Real answer to the hypothetical: If we ignore all reality altogether and pretend he plays 22 games, I wouldn't expect a return of any more than 30 goals, probably less. I just don't think the guy can play football.

Get the message....... zero.

No one lets down Newton more than Newton does. He simply refuses to work hard,commit and contest. Good or better delivery does mask over that

Your assessment is a cop out because you cant accept he cant cut it.

A sub standard AFL player is a sub standard AFL player in any club. Over the years other clubs seem to be able to cut the chaff earlier than MFC does. In particular on this site, there are posters that bizarrely glorify the ordinary. This is a case in point.

I don't think I'm 'bizzarely glorifying the ordinary'. I too am bitterly disappointed with his progress. Having said that, I also think some here underestimate the effect our club's poor performances can have on a forward like Newton. In Modern footy, forwards rarely take contested marks like the Plugger's, Dunstall's etc. With delivery from guys like Jones and Bruce, who at the moment couldn't hit the side of the Melbourne Exhibition center, I just feel he has been a bit short changed. I am NOT saying he is a star.

Maybe too many people look at the entire club through rose coloured glasses and fail to accept that our mediocrity as a whole has held some players back...

Yeh agreed, he certainly has potential, but he's missing something. Be it delivery, motivation or just a general football brain, I'm not sure, but if he can find two of the three, he'd make a great forward. Long way to go though. I answered 0.

You hit the nail on the head.. He is friggin retarted i think he runs around like a goose flailing his arms like a moron. Unless he somehow discovers some talent ala lil bow wow in that movie then we should cut our losses. The only thing he has ever shown us is that he can take one mark and thinks his career will be remembered for it.

0!

Too lazy to get a game in a team that demands the best and 100% effort all the time.

....Or, you know, our team ;):P !!!

The only thing he has ever shown us is that he can take one mark and thinks his career will be remembered for it.

Unfortunately that is all he will be remembered for.

As for this 'talent' he supposedly has, I have never seen it. He has a good leap but that is pretty much it. He is mentally weak, physically soft, no good as soon as the ball hits the ground, not a great set shot, etc etc. I dont mean to sound too harsh, but I jsut dont think he will ever make it.

If he played 22 games for Geelong, he would kick around a goal a game.

Unfortunately that is all he will be remembered for.

As for this 'talent' he supposedly has, I have never seen it. He has a good leap but that is pretty much it. He is mentally weak, physically soft, no good as soon as the ball hits the ground, not a great set shot, etc etc. I dont mean to sound too harsh, but I jsut dont think he will ever make it.

If he played 22 games for Geelong, he would kick around a goal a game.

This thread has assumed a "follow the leader" status. WE universally condemn the Mallinder Bros but hop in for our chop to stick the boots into Newton. It is inane to suggest that Newton would kick less goals in a Geelong side than he has been able to in mediocre Melbourne line-ups.

If he was able to play 22 games as a Demon, on the basis of what he's been able to produce so far, he'd kick 31 goals so I'd expect he'd do 40 easy with Geelong even with his alleged pea-heart, laziness and intellectual challenges.

I figure with better delivery from the middle probably 30 to 40. As for not having any talent I presume he must have had some talent at some stage to be picked up in the first place. Maybe it has just disappeared, or maybe it will reappear. Lets hope the latter

FWIW, I think he's an ok to average footballer who would be good for 40-60 goals over 22 games in a good side with a gun forward taking the opposition's no 1 defender. And with time and class around him he could improve on that.

It's a stupid argument Pringle, because he would never get picked, and if he did, he would only get one game because that would be enough to show Geelong that he's not worth it. Newton is not a victim of being a Melbourne player. He's a victim of being a mediocre, lazy, worthless footballer. He would be no different in any other team, because it's not the team that's the problem.

If he was able to play 22 games as a Demon, on the basis of what he's been able to produce so far, he'd kick 31 goals so I'd expect he'd do 40 easy with Geelong even with his alleged pea-heart, laziness and intellectual challenges.

And Simon Godfrey would win a Brownlow at the Cats :rolleyes:

Heath Neville would have been damaging.....

Ryan Ferguson would also have been better than Scarlett and Harley put together.