Changes for next week vs the Power

LeBron James

You wouldn't look at either Dunn or Bail for Bennell. Haven't seen the Collingwood game yet, but he didn't quite look physically mature enough in the North game for me.

I'd probably look at Bail for Bennell. I don't think Dunn adds anything to the side at all. Unless he is allowed to re-re-engineer himself as a forward again at Casey, then I believe we already know everything there is to know about him, and that is that he is an F grade midfielder. As fair as Bail for Bennell goes, I'd be equally happy for the change to be made, or not to be made, as both have their pros and cons. That said, I agree that Bennell could use a stint of full game time at Casey.

The other changes are a must though IMO.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably look at Bail for Bennell. I don't think Dunn adds anything to the side at all. Unless he is allowed to re-re-engineer himself as a forward again at Casey, then I believe we already know everything there is to know about him, and that is that he is an F grade midfielder. As fair as Bail for Bennell goes, I'd be equally happy for the change to be made, or not to be made, as both have their pros and cons. That said, I agree that Bennell could use a stint of full game time at Casey.

The other changes are a must though IMO.

I agree. No point bringing Dunn in, we know what he's got to offer and it's not much. I'd much rather see Bail get a game. Bennell certainly isn't strong enough for AFL at the moment, but the experience is invaluabe. Personally I'd swap Bennell for Bail, see how a more mature body stands up. Spare Jetta and Bennell from the trip to Adelaide, let them stay here in Melbourne.

I agree. No point bringing Dunn in, we know what he's got to offer and it's not much. I'd much rather see Bail get a game. Bennell certainly isn't strong enough for AFL at the moment, but the experience is invaluabe. Personally I'd swap Bennell for Bail, see how a more mature body stands up. Spare Jetta and Bennell from the trip to Adelaide, let them stay here in Melbourne.

Disagree-

Only way Dunn will improve will be by playing him at AFL level

Only way Bail will improve will be by playing him at VFL level where he gets full game time and improves any deficiencies in his game. Players who play a season at vfl level before making the step up benefit long term. The only players who can step straight in are the absolute freaks (which Bail clearly isn't).

Just see how Garland benefited from a solid season at vfl level learning the trade

In: Meesan, Dunn, Maric

Out: PJ, Bennel, Jetta

IN: Maric, Bail, Dunn

OUT: Bennel, Mclean, Bartram

Really hoping that Rohan Bail gets the nod this week. He is a mature age player for a first year draftee. From all reports had a good solid game at Casey. I like Bennel and think he will be better after a few weeks back at Casey while he gets up to speed with the pace at AFL. Bail for mine should be the one given a go this week. He plays off a flank/winger/possible midfielder.oves well..saw a lot of hime in the QAFL when i was living up there first half of last year.

Also Adam Maric will add some flavour to a tasteless forward line..we need a roving ype forward in there. too often the ball spills and the opposition have numbers and clear it too easily.. i sneaky type like Maric will add some pressure down there. He does need to work on his defensive side tho but still worth a run IMHO.

Only way Dunn will improve will be by playing him at AFL level

Only way Bail will improve will be by playing him at VFL level where he gets full game time and improves any deficiencies in his game. Players who play a season at vfl level before making the step up benefit long term. The only players who can step straight in are the absolute freaks (which Bail clearly isn't).

Just see how Garland benefited from a solid season at vfl level learning the trade

Dunn's had much more time at AFL level than Garland had. In Garland we saw a possible KPP who needed to build up strength. In Dunn we see a bit player who hasn't settled into a proper position, and who doesn't have a heap of talent either. Add to that the fact that he's not absolutely dominating at Casey, and I think Bail provides a better alternative.

It's too soon, he shouldn't play, IMO for at least 2 or 3 real VFL games first. Not the practice matches he's been in. Lets get the side going & settled a little before overburdening him.

Just my, 'steady as she goes', attitude these days towards our newbies. There's a lot can go wrong by bringing the recruits up too easily.

Look @ Bate, Dunn & Sylvia.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

why not give him a run, 1 game wouldnt hurt, give the kid a taste of the big time, hes gotta be a better option than newton or soft sylvia.

Guys all this needs to settle down. We all know we are in a rebuilding stage at the club, so just because we have lost does not mean we have to go swinging the selection axe. How the hell are we supposed to get better without letting our kids learn the hard way and having a team play together as a group fir an extended period of time. There is no way we will bond and gel as a group if just because we lose everyone here starts calling for changes every single time we lose. We all knew thisyea rwe wouldnt win many games so give the team a chance to gel and have an idea of the best way to link up and work together.

Newton is a five time flunk in the AFL. Until he evidences at Casey that he can apply himself I would leave him there.

Rhino, we were clearly a tall forward short on Saturday. I'm interested as to who you think should take that forward line position since Bate has failed miserably in the first two rounds??

why not give him a run, 1 game wouldnt hurt, give the kid a taste of the big time, hes gotta be a better option than newton or soft sylvia.

The problem I think is more our ball use coming in from the midfied area + compounded by the forward structure. Add to that the lack of experience & I think there's our failing.

Remember before the season Bailey said he wanted to play the 2nd & 3rd year players, to get games into them, but also they're not as raw as our kids, strait out of the under 18s comps.

I can see the bigger bodied re4cruits coming in as soon as they can, Rohan Bail, Adam Maric is 2nd season, Meeson could now be ready to compete.

Play PJ as a tall forward 50M out, with Maric & Sylvia & Davey, rotating beside him, Bate leading up half forward, with Miller & Petterd deep. Greeny on a wing helping out forward & mids.

Guys all this needs to settle down. We all know we are in a rebuilding stage at the club, so just because we have lost does not mean we have to go swinging the selection axe. How the hell are we supposed to get better without letting our kids learn the hard way and having a team play together as a group fir an extended period of time. There is no way we will bond and gel as a group if just because we lose everyone here starts calling for changes every single time we lose. We all knew thisyea rwe wouldnt win many games so give the team a chance to gel and have an idea of the best way to link up and work together.

Well done DT, thats a great sentiment, I don't think there's any harm in playfull team selections, but I agree that some of the nasty negative comments that right off our players & fellow posters is very harmfull. It's just a pity that the Moderators take pleasure @ this past time.

My In: for the weekend's match would be Coach Bailey's charisma. Is this guy serious with his dead pan comments in post match media interviews. It started when he was first appointed. No wonder other clubs and supporters look at us like we are amatuers.

Bailey not only has a responsibility to coach the club, but also to present a message and image which is a greater reflection of the footy club. The MFC Media Man needs to get on this. People rave about Bailey being a smart man....to me he is the luckiest person in AFL system.

And my Out: for the weekend would be the word.....COMPETITIVE!!! - clearly the word is another passenger within our football club.

The voice of reason. There are no quick fixes.

Rhino, we were clearly a tall forward short on Saturday. I'm interested as to who you think should take that forward line position since Bate has failed miserably in the first two rounds??

I don't like your reasoning at all. Just because we are a tall forward short doesn't mean that Newton should instantly be given a run. He has had his chances and wasted them all. I'd much rather Bailey try something else than play flogs who don't deserve it.

Bate was terrible last week but played a better game this week. Only kicked one goal but gave off a few as well (Johnson and Morton) and he played further up the ground. Much rather Bate than Newton.

Tell the midfield not to fail miserably and then have a go at Bate.

BTW, his first half was great, he and Miller were presenting and the midfield delivering.

All this Bate-bashing is like blaming the fawcett when you don't pay your water bill.

79 Inside 50s over two games is miserable.

Half decent teams would be pushing 100.

My In: for the weekend's match would be Coach Bailey's charisma. Is this guy serious with his dead pan comments in post match media interviews. It started when he was first appointed. No wonder other clubs and supporters look at us like we are amatuers.

Bailey not only has a responsibility to coach the club, but also to present a message and image which is a greater reflection of the footy club. The MFC Media Man needs to get on this. People rave about Bailey being a smart man....to me he is the luckiest person in AFL system.

And my Out: for the weekend would be the word.....COMPETITIVE!!! - clearly the word is another passenger within our football club.

Who gives a flying about Baliey's charisma. He is not there to crack jokes with Mark Stevens.

And the bloke is highly respected by the few people in the football world I know - I don't know where the amateur comment comes from.

As for the word competitive...

Last year at this time we were beaten by 104 and 95 points and had a percentage of 37...

Guest digga

jetta looks useless. He is not even quick. theres a reason he got picked so late, and his name probley got him lower in the draft then he should have been.

jetta looks useless. He is not even quick. theres a reason he got picked so late, and his name probley got him lower in the draft then he should have been.

Plenty of people were happy to write Garland off after a couple of games.

Time will tell.

When was the last time Newton kicked 2 or 3 goals at AFL level? :rolleyes:

You can play him, but you run the risk of having another useless tall clogging up the bench as we once again run out of legs mid-way through the second quarter.

I'd rather play someone like Maric who can mark and kick a goal, or crumb goals off Miller/PJ/Spence/Bate/*insert name of makeshift forward*, or even push up the ground and play in the middle. That's versatility that we can use no matter which way the game is going. Newton is one-dimensional, and his one dimension has proved rather disappointing thus far.

I'm advocating Maric playing along with Newton.

We're kicking 10 goals a game, the fwd line must be rotated and experimented with, to find the right chemistry.

Guest petjud

We have a couple of good posts calling for calm and no changes and realising that if Bate and Miller get good service they can be really good......and then we get the above.........absolutely brilliant........'digga' do you watch the games..Jetta is doing exactly what Bailey wants him to to and if you listen to Bailey post Collingwood match he went out of his way to praise Jetta saying he had a crack and tackled and chased..and will be a good player for MFC....the guy is going to be a midrfielder and for a 19yr old who has come from WA and is his size he is doing OK, he is just not Aussie, but even Aussie took a couple of games to get going and before the end of the season had run out steam..........if you want to just put a bit of invective, Demonology seems a better place for that......constructiveness is here.....

IN: Maric (Need someone with some polish crumbing in the forward line. After quarter time every time the ball hit the ground in our forward 50 Collingwood ran it out far to easily). Newton (Need someone in the goal square to make a contest, at least until Robertson or Watts are ready to go.

OUT: Bennell & Jetta. (While both have shown glimpses that they will be good players, can't find a spot for them at the moment.)