• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

"staying competitive for longer"

I'm sick of this line from the coach.

It leads to a result that a narrow loss is regarded as ok--and it shouldn't be--at least at this stage.

Strange things happen at the start of a seasdon--all games should be regarded as winnable.And from a marketing viewpoint it must be dreadful - what do others think?

You are absolutely correct - "We played well but came second" - what a load of bs

I'm sick of this line from the coach.

It leads to a result that a narrow loss is regarded as ok--and it shouldn't be--at least at this stage.

Strange things happen at the start of a seasdon--all games should be regarded as winnable.And from a marketing viewpoint it must be dreadful - what do others think?

Would you prefer he came out and said we expect to be premiers this year? We are a coming from a long way back and to voice a realistic expectation to a supporter base is what I would prefer rather than a far fetched untruth. It should be noted that staying competitive longer does not mean you expect to lose or that a game is not winnable.....

It was Paul Roos' absoulte core philosphy that you don't focus on win or loss results. You focus on playing the game the way you're supposed to, doing the hard work, then watch the results go your way. Does anyone need reminding that in the football equivalent of a blink of an eye he took the Swans straight from second-rate to seven years of consecutive finals?

The consequence of thinking too much about win or loss is ... wait for it ...

- blowout results once things start going against you,

- inconsistent seasons with streaks of wins and streaks of losses driven by confidence levels,

- dropping games you should win due to over-confidence, and so on.

Winning and losing is, in short, the easiest and most problematic thing you can overthink. In a perfect preparation, it wouldn't come into player's minds until they hear the final siren.

Would you prefer he came out and said we expect to be premiers this year? We are a coming from a long way back and to voice a realistic expectation to a supporter base is what I would prefer rather than a far fetched untruth. It should be noted that staying competitive longer does not mean you expect to lose or that a game is not winnable.....

That is pretty much my thought on the topic. Bailey is simply making a sound judgement on our performances and stating (an obvious area) where we need to improve.

It was Paul Roos' absoulte core philosphy that you don't focus on win or loss results. You focus on playing the game the way you're supposed to, doing the hard work, then watch the results go your way. Does anyone need reminding that in the football equivalent of a blink of an eye he took the Swans straight from second-rate to seven years of consecutive finals?

The difference is that Roos' processes, which were left field but his team adhered to them, worked from day 1. Bailey's processes are unproven, and that's being kind.

So it's all very well to say that you just concentrate on the processes and the results will follow. What if the processes are flawed?

Guest petjud
The difference is that Roos' processes, which were left field but his team adhered to them, worked from day 1. Bailey's processes are unproven, and that's being kind.

So it's all very well to say that you just concentrate on the processes and the results will follow. What if the processes are flawed?

We have a really supportive optimistic thread started for the new season and it only takes a couple of posts for somebody to come in and [censored] all over it.

I am all for constructive criticism, but 'Bailey's processes are unproven", is a pretty sweeping statement, hey he's had one season, doesn't matter if that season was 'annus horribilis", let's not give him a chance, even though it is acknowledged that it takes at least two years for coach to put his stamp on the club.

Roos' succession was a political coup, it wasn't like he inherited a team of kids and 'past it' veterans, he got a team that was just about primed for succwss, which they acheived.

Let's give it a bit of time, tried in other threads to say this is year 0 for Bailey, he has the squad he wants, the backroom he wants, the fitness regime he wants, the club is stable if a little financially challenged.

I can see what he is trying to acheive, and he is just telling the truth, I would be over the moon if we suddenly hit pay dirt, but most supporters who contribute here realise that a few wins more than last year and the team having a real crack each game will be the first lsign of improvement we should be looking for.

I will only walk away from a game disappointed if we lose and the winning margin is like some of the horrors we sufferend last year, because that will mean we are not improving and being competitive

Guest melbman

DB has never said his team is limited to only being competitive

He has said many a time that you have to believe you can win the game every time you go out there

Bailey said: "We've all got expectations and we'll go out on Sunday and we expect to be competitive and we expect and we believe that we can win the game - you've still got to have that focus."
from http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour...wRylVgDrQivwZQQ

MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey says winning is the only scenario he is contemplating ahead his team's clash with West Coast at the MCG on Saturday.
from http://www.melbournefc.com.au/News/NewsArt...px?newsId=65555

- inconsistent seasons with streaks of wins and streaks of losses driven by confidence levels,

Winning and losing is, in short, the easiest and most problematic thing you can overthink. In a perfect preparation, it wouldn't come into player's minds until they hear the final siren.

Thats pretty much it, But i still believe the MFC should take the field believing they can win, otherwise why turn up at all.

As Leigh Matthews Said a few Years ago "If it bleeds we can kill it" and once over that boundry line that is what The demon players should be thinking...Because of the training & Teaching that they have learnt from the coach & staff.

Hawthorn won the Flag Last Year because they believed in themselves & did not waver. Even during the 2nd Q when they were being outplayed, Hawthorn Stuck at it. Geelong were Red Hot to win but Hawthorn Believed in themselves.

I Hope that is the sort of Thing DB is teaching the Boys. Don't Forget DB came from Essendon & Port Adel. Both Clubs hold the winning culture like it or not. Melbourne hasn't had that for 45 years. Some clubs have never Had it.

This is year 0 for Bailey-Let's see what he has got-he was voted for unanimously for the coaches job after his presentation so he is a smart operator i have no doubt..

Good call DD - and don't those three symptoms remind me with a chill of our club post 1987....

Great Post DD. Bailey will be around for a long time, i have talked to him several times and i get this feel about him as a coach, I'm sure all coaches have belief in their players i just get a different feel from him when his discussing his players. People look at too many things in a negative view.

Could Bailey be thinking of the word "Consistant"? Or are they similar in their meanings? I think what he's trying to get at is; If we are"Competitive" for longer it will lead to us being"Consistant". For too many qtrs we are not "Competitive" enough. If we can lift our "Consistancy" of playing 4 qtrs of good football, it will make us more competitive.....(I'm Confused)...

I'm all for Competitive!

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

Bailey needs 5yrs to prove his worth,he inherited the most pathetic list,he needs the same time that wallace was afforded,if he doesnt receive that its not fair on the man,if daniher was coach travis would still be on the list,and probably 4others,thats something we can thank gardner and co for,daniher had to many pet projects,and he refused to delist players that were past it.GO DEMONS. :)

I'm perfectly fine with the "competitive for longer" line. We're not after quick fixes, and meaningless wins. We're after consistent success, which it's proven is a process that takes years... And a large chunk of those years will contain failure.

Stay the course I reckon.

Bailey needs 5yrs to prove his worth,he inherited the most pathetic list,he needs the same time that wallace was afforded,if he doesnt receive that its not fair on the man,if daniher was coach travis would still be on the list,and probably 4others,thats something we can thank gardner and co for,daniher had to many pet projects,and he refused to delist players that were past it.GO DEMONS. :)

I'm not usually the most opinionated poster on here, actually I'm no where near. But if there is someone that grinds my gears its Terry 'useless' Wallace.

He would have to be the most over-rated coach that has been involved in the game with very little results.

From 1996 - 2002 he went to Footscray as the is all that ends all for the Doggies. During his tenure he had a great list, and never showed any 'Real' results. He's not a hero from any stretch of the imagination.

For some reason Richmond thought that his "adequate" performances with the Dogs would be great for their club to turn them around from the 'Spud' Days. Whoever made this decision must have been sniffing something pretty strong. Would have to be the worst football decision ever. If I were a Richmond supporter I'd be buying a Melbourne membership ticket as soon as I can (Wouldn't you? :lol: ).

If your a Richmond supporter, don't hold your breath this season, you won't make it to the finals. And you'll have Terry Wallace to thank.

As soon as Richmond get a real coach, then they'll be on track.

The only good thing about Terry Wallace, he made a good punching bag for Rod Grinter back in 88.

Gippy

The quality of the list that Roos inherited was much stranger than the one Bailey received

Well it could go either way here really, but Sydney should probably win ;) !!!

And great post Distance, it is nice to come back in here and read a common sense post about our reality and Bailey's unwavering reactions.

Well done.

I'm not usually the most opinionated poster on here, actually I'm no where near. But if there is someone that grinds my gears its Terry 'useless' Wallace.

He would have to be the most over-rated coach that has been involved in the game with very little results.

From 1996 - 2002 he went to Footscray as the is all that ends all for the Doggies. During his tenure he had a great list, and never showed any 'Real' results. He's not a hero from any stretch of the imagination.

Wallace did not have a "great list."

FFS.......give me strength!

In view of what transpired last year the Bailey line sounds reasonable to me. We won only three games out of 22 and had a %age of about 60, we won the least number of quarters and had very few highlights in a shocking season. Of course we need to be competitve much longer.

Just think of how much effort we need to put in to lift our wins to 6 for the season and our %age up to 80. It needs a massive effort and we have to be realistic and ... be competitive for longer both as a team and as individuals.

Geelong also have had the same emphasis on 'process'. They often say that if they concentrate on the process and do all of the things they have trained to do, then the results will look after themselves. When these things start to fall into place for us then maybe we can begin to talk about wins v losses.