Colin Sylvia- Complaints, Congratulations and Comments

Don24

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets wait until he performs at his high standard in september before the highly regarded tag "Gun" is bestowed upon him.

A tad harsh maybe. In the last half of the season, except for his one brain fade, he's done about as well as any of us could have expected. He's maintained a consistent high standard against good sides as well as bad. It's probably just as well we didn't have him for that 4 weeks/

He won't be "elite" until he performs well in September (and it's "when" rather than "if"), but IMHO he's already earned the right to be called a "gun".

A tad harsh maybe. In the last half of the season, except for his one brain fade, he's done about as well as any of us could have expected. He's maintained a consistent high standard against good sides as well as bad. It's probably just as well we didn't have him for that 4 weeks/

He won't be "elite" until he performs well in September (and it's "when" rather than "if"), but IMHO he's already earned the right to be called a "gun".

Not yet. I think to be called a gun you need to have full acceptance of other suppoters from other teams. He is getting better and better but is still not quite there. Lets hope next year is he blasts the comp to bits.

Not at all. We have to raise the standard at this great club.

Colin has been great this year, but i want to see him excell in september. Watch the games in the next 4 weeks.

That's real Football-the last 22 weeks are a warm up.

Col had a great year, but is not yet a "Gun"

After all that endless debate around here, Sylvia finally made it. Great game and a commendable season.

One of the commentators said during the game that Davey has been the most consistent this year, but Sylvia has probably played the best football.

...FWIW I think gun fits pretty well with Col.

Not a star yet, but he's better than an honest battler. Somewhere in the middle.

Edited by wisedog

I love it when Col gets some space anywhere within 65 meters. You can feel the buzz In the crowd and all Dees fans eyes light up. Great to see him putting it all together and he really looks hungry now.

That certainly summed his performance up today. He was fantastic. 27 hard earned possessions.

After all that endless debate around here, Sylvia finally made it. Great game and a commendable season.

One of the commentators said during the game that Davey has been the most consistent this year, but Sylvia has probably played the best football.

...FWIW I think gun fits pretty well with Col.

Not a star yet, but he's better than an honest battler. Somewhere in the middle.

Its all just a label but the important thing is that Colin has given a couple of demonstrations as to why he was a highly touted draft pick.

With the expectation of Scully and a Trengove type next year to complement the existing squad, having a tough as nails, good marking long (goal) kicking midfield option in Sylvia, MFC have a player who can have an impact on a match and hurt an opposition.

He knows whats required now. He needs to keep himself fit and focussed for 2010.

If we are going to significantly improve then he is going to be a critical piece of that improvement.

Sylvia showed the promise of things to come. He needs to deliver next year regardless of whether it involves September action or not.

In the first half his running and work rate was enormous. When he gets the footy we look dangerous. The above is correct 1 season doesn't make you a gun but he finally showed why he was No3 pick, he has the ability to be in the top run of midfielders in the competition, we have seen that this year, hopefully he keeps his body right and his mind on the job, he can be an elite midfielder but it is up to him.

The best thing for Col, if he gets tagged he can play deep forward or in defence and do it well.

The defining moment for me, was in the last quarter at a contest on the wing in front of the bench. I can’t remember who the players were. There were 3 MFC at the ball and 4 Saints. Colin came to the contest late and as he got there, the ball spilled to the back of the pack and a Saint poked the ball towards the corridor. Colin immediately picked a Saint jumper and ran with them as the Saints broke away to push forward. Colin didn’t care who he had to follow, he just knew he needed to put defensive pressure on a loose Saint and he went about it like it was second nature.

Thank you Colin, for a coming of age 2009.

I loved it today when he either missed a kick for goal or just missed kicked it (in front of mcc members) and he was absolutely filthy on himself. Good to see a little passion coming back.

Yeah, I also noticed when watching the reply, at one stage when maybe Milne marked it on the 50, he punched his hands, filthy with himself, even though he didn't have a chance to spoil it in the first place. I thought he showed great leadership early, when the game was on.

He is now a valuable member of the team and on his day can be a matchwinner. Enough said.

Yup... the only thing left for him to prove is to do it in a final. Given the way he goes about it, I reckon finals footy will, in years to come, be the stage he delivers at. He's built for pressure footy.

We should also thank DB for helping Col even Col has said that.

Good point. ND couldn't get this footy out of him (not necessarily his fault) but DB has brought it to the surface, and then some.

ND couldn't get this footy out of him (not necessarily his fault) but DB has brought it to the surface, and then some.

How do we know this is all thanks to DB and not to Colin himself, or the fact that he's been able to get his body right for the first time since he's been here?

I definitely don't think this can be used as a meaningful example of how much better Bailey is than Daniher.

How do we know this is all thanks to DB and not to Colin himself, or the fact that he's been able to get his body right for the first time since he's been here?

I definitely don't think this can be used as a meaningful example of how much better Bailey is than Daniher.

I thought about this, as I knew someone would pop up and say something like what you said.

First, didn't someone mention already that they were his words?

That aside, I think it's a good reflection on ANY coach.

When a player comes good, naturally, it's fair to mostly heap praise on the player first. After all, it's ALWAYS a coach's role to bring the best out of each individual on the list. It's about getting out of them what's already there, not handing it to them and saying "here, now you can go and be a great player."

But I'm an honest believer that certain coaches effect individual players more than others. Also that certain coaches have more of these super-effective relationships than others. For example, Sheedy I reckon had at any time about a dozen players he coached that he inspired to get the best out of themselves. Sometimes a Peverill type, others a Hird type. It can be a simple little thing like communicating with the guy more (and thereby upping his confidence in himself), all the way to giving him a bigger role in the side. Neale had a handful of guys who played for him and believed in him and as such went on to great things, like Robbo and Brownie. But I feel he had many who's growth was a bit stunted as they weren't led as well as, perhaps, other coaches might have gotten them to.

As far as I'm concerned, if a player like Jamar or Sylvia have 5+ years in the system and during that time look to have hit a ceiling, and then somehow after less than two seasons under Bailey, seem to find the ability to get 50% more touches REGULARLY, then that's a huge tick mark next to the coach's name. Maybe it's as simple as NOT getting in their faces? Leaving them to their own devices? Simplifying things for them? Whatever it is, I had Jamar written off more than any player on the list at the start of the year. Likewise, I had given up on thinking Sylvia was capable of being a star, and thought H's "just a player" assessment was as good as it was going to get for him. I find it kind of amazing that both guys have been as good as they have been this year. Even if they both have a drop off next year and into the future, it's still amazing that they got up there at all given where they were both at.

However, I never meant to have a go at Neale. I'm a huge supporter of his. For what it's worth, DB is half-a-dozen players away from being where Neale was. It's very early days, but if he can bring the latent elite footy out of 3 or so of his top talents (say Watts, Scully and Jurrah for example) and also get solid games from 3 of his more honest triers (Cheney, Warnock, Jamar) more often than not then a lot of the players who fall between those categories fill the gaps, and we have a more-or-less complete side that will be competitive over the next few years...

After that, who knows how far we could go!

Edited by Dappa Dan

He is now a valuable member of the team and on his day can be a matchwinner. Enough said.

The thing about Col is that his strength makes him a harder prospect to tag than, say, Flash. On the other hand, he can be needled more easily. Thought that the extra week "team suspension" really sent the right message - "you are such an important part of this team that we just can't afford any brain snaps in future" - that he seems to have received loud and clear. But next year will tell because he'll really get some attention from the game's mongrels.

I thought about this, as I knew someone would pop up and say something like what you said.

First, didn't someone mention already that they were his words?

That aside, I think it's a good reflection on ANY coach.

When a player comes good, naturally, it's fair to mostly heap praise on the player first. After all, it's ALWAYS a coach's role to bring the best out of each individual on the list. It's about getting out of them what's already there, not handing it to them and saying "here, now you can go and be a great player."

Dappa whilst I understand your view, I agree with Nasher (as highlighted) in comparing coaches.

Whilst I'm guessing, I think it's an accumulation of factors that have contributed: -

1/ Being able to get his body right and fit

2/ Listening to his peers (teammates & leadership group) assessment of Col (ie. on trust)

3/ Looking after himself in recovery, preparation.

4/ Training intensity

5/ A little more professionalism

6/ Getting a 'razz' from the coach

7/ Working hard on the field

Dappa whilst I understand your view, I agree with Nasher (as highlighted) in comparing coaches.

Whilst I'm guessing, I think it's an accumulation of factors that have contributed: -

1/ Being able to get his body right and fit

2/ Listening to his peers (teammates & leadership group) assessment of Col (ie. on trust)

3/ Looking after himself in recovery, preparation.

4/ Training intensity

5/ A little more professionalism

6/ Getting a 'razz' from the coach

7/ Working hard on the field

You missed probably the biggest factor - maturity

I find it fascinating to compare what's expected of these kids and their actual age and then to think about how I'd handle it even now at my age.

The thing is, the Judd's and Ablett's of the league aren't extraordinary purely for their physical feats, but also their mental side as well.

I think you have named all the factors that have led to Col's improvement - except one: his contract renewal.

It is possibloe that much of the mental improvement came from him understanding the impact of possible delisting without having the opportunity to show hiw wares to other prospective employers.

For the record, I am a Col supporter.

Cheers

I think you have named all the factors that have led to Col's improvement - except one: his contract renewal.

It is possibloe that much of the mental improvement came from him understanding the impact of possible delisting without having the opportunity to show hiw wares to other prospective employers.

For the record, I am a Col supporter.

Cheers

Possibly Dees Win. I didn't take that into account. Good point. That may well have been a motivating factor too.

Enforcer 25 - yes maturity - I think that can be related to my previous points too. Realising those other points and carrying them out is definitely a sign of maturity.