No Warnock, Prismall, CJ, Hislop, Nick Nat, etc

Courtney_Fish

Would have tried to get a draft pick for chris johnson rather than let him leave us for nothing. I know he's a dog and we probs wouldn't get much for him but we put years into him and gave him a game when noone else would. To let him go for nothing is a bit disappointing. i guess hindsight is always 2020. if we knew he was going to leave we would have tried a bit harder to trade him, or settled for something a bit less than market value for him.

Also thought we were in for a real show for warnock. maybe a 3 way with carlton's pick and CJ woulda been ideal. Having said that i thought we were a real show for judd last year as well...

but ah well. i would rather players coming to the club cos they wanted to. if they don't, we shouldn't want them. it's their loss.

Would have tried to get a draft pick for chris johnson rather than let him leave us for nothing. I know he's a dog and we probs wouldn't get much for him but we put years into him and gave him a game when noone else would. To let him go for nothing is a bit disappointing. i guess hindsight is always 2020. if we knew he was going to leave we would have tried a bit harder to trade him, or settled for something a bit less than market value for him.

Also thought we were in for a real show for warnock. maybe a 3 way with carlton's pick and CJ woulda been ideal. Having said that i thought we were a real show for judd last year as well...

but ah well. i would rather players coming to the club cos they wanted to. if they don't, we shouldn't want them. it's their loss.

The only regret I have is that we didn't even try to go for Art Vanderlay in view of all the early hype about him. I believe that, like Liam Jurrah, he didn't even lodge his papers for the National Draft but he could have applied to the AFL for special consideration and gotten into the PSD. Art had a good case seeing he was in prison for most of the 2008 season.

Seriously though I'm happy with the way things have fallen. We missed out on some costly, overpriced and underperformed players and took Watts ahead of Nik Nat. Nothing wrong with that!

Well we felt nobody wanted to play for us and we were short changed. Are you disappointed with how things played out now the drafts are over? What would you change?

Time will tell of course, but at this point I wouldn't change a thing.

The only regret I have is that we didn't even try to go for Art Vanderlay in view of all the early hype about him. I believe that, like Liam Jurrah, he didn't even lodge his papers for the National Draft but he could have applied to the AFL for special consideration and gotten into the PSD. Art had a good case seeing he was in prison for most of the 2008 season.

Seriously though I'm happy with the way things have fallen. We missed out on some costly, overpriced and underperformed players and took Watts ahead of Nik Nat. Nothing wrong with that!

I've must have missed something about this kid (?), but do we really want to draft a bloke who has been in prison for the majority of the year?

Or have I completely missed the joke ??

I am surprised Richmond didn't rookie Art. I think the fact that Ben Cousins wasn't mentioned at his trial worked against him.

That he doesn't have an association with Ben in a criminal or any other sense marked him, unfairly, as a small time player not ready for the rigours of the AFL.

He might be a good fit down at TBO with the Saints 2s.

Pretty happy with everything really.

Dont care about Prismall.

CJ can go get *$&@ed

Hislop not cared for.

Watts was my preferred over niknat

Would of been nice to nab Warnock as a needed ruckman but that means we wouldnt of seen strauss as a dee and i wanted him bad so no.

Hopefully the big russian, johnson and even spencer suprises this year

Or I have missed all the hype.....

I am surprised Richmond didn't rookie Art. I think the fact that Ben Cousins wasn't mentioned at his trial worked against him.

That he doesn't have an association with Ben in a criminal or any other sense marked him, unfairly, as a small time player not ready for the rigours of the AFL.

He might be a good fit down at TBO with the Saints 2s.

:lol:

No. Old's summed it quite well

Apparantly Art Vanderlay did lodge his papers for the National Draft in time, but Adrian Anderson was too busy working on the Pennski file to process them.

It's disappointing for Art that he didn't get drafted.

:lol:

Good post. Agree with it all.

Apparantly Art Vanderlay did lodge his papers for the National Draft in time, but Adrian Anderson was too busy working on the Pennski file to process them.

It's disappointing for Art that he didn't get drafted.

I understand that the Vanderlay family is not amused at this state of affairs. They claim that young Art took the rap for others and that he was framed. His story was that he thought the getaway car he was driving was a hearse belonging to a well know family of Melbourne funeral directors and that he was acting in the course of a legitimate delivery for them (albeit that 3.00am is an usual time to be moving corpses around suburban Melbourne). They also want it known that Ricky Nixon is not Art’s manager and that latex is not usually associated with substance abuse.

Hopefully, Vanderlay will be rookie listed as a mature age rookie when he becomes eligible for parole in 2015.

I would'nt change a thing.

Melbourne Football Club has done a great job in there recruiting and off field admin issues.

I would have liked to seen Rory Sloane in a Demon jumper, but you cant have them all!

CJ to Carltank? I did rate him as a player and am disapointed with his choice. It just gives reason for us too smash him. Ha Ha! I predict a Sylvia/CJ confrontation when we play the cheats. As for Warnock I did'nt want him and am very happy we will persist with the rucks we have.

BROCK for CAPTAIN! Just dont stuff that one up Melbourne.

Happy with the decisions made - all selections in the National Draft. Impressed with the Liam Jurrah selection.

With respect to those player(s) opting for Carlton over Melbourne such as more money or perceived advanced premiership options, good luck to them, however after 2009 they may start to regret the choices they made, after observing the progress Mfc has made.

I've must have missed something about this kid (?), but do we really want to draft a bloke who has been in prison for the majority of the year?

You have missed the joke. He was a fictional character on Seinfeld that George pretended he was. He was supposed to be an importer/exporter.

He is now working as a gopher for Mr. Pitt.

Matches, long matches.

As I've said before I'm happy with Jurrah who puts another KPP into the mix - but as we didn't get Warnock, I am puzzled ( and concerned!) that we didn't try to rookie a ruckman or two. Big men take longer to mature - and you can't expect them to look "completely ready" when they are only 18....but you've got to get them some time.

Even though we missed out on a few mature players we are still in a stronger position than we were 6 months ago. it would have been great to get something for return for cj, but that is how carlton operate, under the table.

With some strong draftees and some smokeys, i think we came out alright. Given where we are as a club, we did exactly what we should have done. Look to go organic, and grow our own talent. We will need to do the same again next season (although a lot harder given the draft break up).

I think we have done enough to inject some hope going forward, which is all we as supporters can really ask for. The best thing is, they have opted for the long term fix, not the short term fix (like jetting in a jonathan brown).

There wasn't anything the club could have CHANGED per se.

Full marks to the club given the situation and the options on hand. But I still maintain my disappointment that we don't have a full compliment of talls I can get excited about, given that this was supposed to be such a deep draft for KP players...

Also the CJ thing stung a bit. Not cos he's a great player, but because it painted the club in a bad light. If Jurrah or Bail turn out to be better players than CJ then we have the last laugh, as they were players we may not have taken with our extra pick. But it's still embarrassing, and if it happens more than one time to us, in the long run we would lose out.

Other than that, I can't see at this stage how the recruiters have made any glaring errors or oversights, given the information at our hands. And I can't ask for more than that. I reckon if these players don't make it, it won't be something you can pick fault with the recruiters for. That said, I'm sure people will call BP crap in years to come the way they do CAC, regardless of how well he's done at draft time.

But I still maintain my disappointment that we don't have a full compliment of talls I can get excited about, given that this was supposed to be such a deep draft for KP players...

Don't suppose we're counting on grabbing Butcher next year...?

don't suppose we're counting on grabbing butcher next year...?

I would cop one more bad year to get the two best boys in the country next year with two provisos:

First that we blood kids wherever possible and give them game time and,

Second that we play a good brand of football and have honourable defeats (a few goals not 100 point thrashings).

With two more top boys plus others in the draft to be added to those youngsters we already have, I feel that we would be ready to start our climb back up the ladder.

I would cop one more bad year to get the two best boys in the country next year with two provisos:

First that we blood kids wherever possible and give them game time and,

Second that we play a good brand of football and have honourable defeats (a few goals not 100 point thrashings).

With two more top boys plus others in the draft to be added to those youngsters we already have, I feel that we would be ready to start our climb back up the ladder.

Agree entirely. I haven't accepted "honourable losses" since 1986, but after what I witnessed this season, they would be a godsend.

The one that hurt me was Prismall. I really rate the player and he's kicked 6 goals and averaged 30 touches in 2 games V' Melbourne.

We offered pick 35, but he chose Essendon over us. I'm going to watch Jamie Bennel with interest as he was the pick that we were willing to trade for Prismall.

None of us can be either happy or angry with the selections until at least 3 years down the track. As others have suggested, lets hope we got Blease and Strauss right when you consider the quality picked after them (Swift, McKernan, Beams, Zharakis etc...)

Would have tried to get a draft pick for chris johnson rather than let him leave us for nothing. I know he's a dog and we probs wouldn't get much for him but we put years into him and gave him a game when noone else would. To let him go for nothing is a bit disappointing.

Agree.

I think he'll fail at Carlton. He's a clanger king!

Wish the guy all the best...at the Bullants.