What 2 do with Mr Sylvia?

Tolstoys Nudge

Trade him or persevere?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Colin Sylvia is only selfish because of the intense pressure he feels to live up to an arbitrary number. So what if he was a number 3 draft pick? He doesn't need to have 35 touches or 6 goals. The guy kicked 3 ripper goals, worked hard all day despite being obviously not right, and turned the ball over as much as he did only because he knew that we wouldn't win without taking risks.

I think Colin Sylvia is only selfish because of the intense pressure he feels to live up to an arbitrary number. So what if he was a number 3 draft pick? He doesn't need to have 35 touches or 6 goals. The guy kicked 3 ripper goals, worked hard all day despite being obviously not right, and turned the ball over as much as he did only because he knew that we wouldn't win without taking risks.

All excellent points Chook. There are many on this forum who think that it's selfish when a player takes it upon himself to make things happen. Personally, I love this trait in a footballer, and have refrained from bagging Colin Sylvia.

All excellent points Chook. There are many on this forum who think that it's selfish when a player takes it upon himself to make things happen. Personally, I love this trait in a footballer, and have refrained from bagging Colin Sylvia.

Fair bit of division over Sylvia. I watched him pretty carefully today and I think he is two players, the one who works hard at the contest when he had a chance for glory and the one who looked very lazy or tired when there was little chance of him gaining the glory.

There were numerous times when he could ahave got himself involved in contests only to amble toward the play ambitly.

There is something NQR about Sylvia whether it be injury, small motor or something going on mentally. I know he kicked three goals but his clanger and lack of pressure just about equalised things IMO.

Fair bit of division over Sylvia. I watched him pretty carefully today and I think he is two players, the one who works hard at the contest when he had a chance for glory and the one who looked very lazy or tired when there was little chance of him gaining the glory.

He'd better change this over the last 4 games.

No defensive pressure + no desire for the contest = out the door

Sylvia won't be going anywhere.............and seriously, what would any of you hope to get for him anyway? Some lottery draft pick around 20-30?

No thanks! The guy has talent, and with Bailey in charge, I reckon we will start to see more of it going forward. Yesterdays game shows what he is capable of.........and I reckon he can still improve a hell of a lot on yesterday.

And still yet to complete a full preseason!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

Sylvia cannot play his career as a perm forward! he was a top 3 draft, drafteed to be a midfielder!!

He is a traget there right now, but not forever! thats not gonna cut it!

Its so frustraing, I love the guy, sooo much ability, Just seems lazy, have heard he is very lazy with the off ball stuff, I just really hope he can string it together, but its a lose lose if we keep him next year, and he fails again, because he will then have ZERO trade value, thats why its a tough decision, that needs to be made!

Im 50/50 on the issue!

This bloke has had more lives than a reincarnated cat ffs. He ought to be seizing the moment and playing his little sox off..instead..yet another lack lustre performance.

Sorry ..had a gutful of this pretender.. he shows a few teasing glimpses of his real talent and then puts it away for later.. as if !!

Let some other poor bastard of a team try to eek out a week in week out effort.. time to go ......Hi Ho Sylvia !!

I think his work rate was as it always is. Far below what is expected. Wasted talent. Trade.

:lol:

I'd take a second round pick for Sylvia.

meh.. colin can do watever he wants.. im over him!

next

He had a bad game. Word is his groin's upto no good again and he could be sitting out the year.

He hasn't even put in a handful of good performances. He has played a maximum of 2 full good games of AFL and other than that, shown occasional glimpses. Exactly right - he CAN do most things, he just won't. Shocking attitude, petulant child. He plays like he just expects to dominate, and is symptomatic of what is wrong with the culture of the MFC. Trade him to a club that thinks they can get more for him, like St Kilda (he will play well on the other flank to Fiora).

he's got 7 weeks to impress the coaches of his future with MFC...otherwise I think time to trade

My first reaction to Colin Sylvia is to trade him. Col reminds me of Medhurst a little bit, just not as good. I'd be happy to trade him if the offer was right. I think he needs a good end of year to be not thought of being traded, if that makes sense.

He will need to make a decent fist of the last 4 games to be retained.

he will stay

Sylvia won't be going anywhere.............and seriously, what would any of you hope to get for him anyway? Some lottery draft pick around 20-30?

No thanks! The guy has talent, and with Bailey in charge, I reckon we will start to see more of it going forward. Yesterdays game shows what he is capable of.........and I reckon he can still improve a hell of a lot on yesterday.

And still yet to complete a full preseason!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

Now what do you all say? ;)

Honestly...............Sylvia will be a gun.....................if he was playing for Geelong many people would already be calling him one! Remember he's basically playing a lone hand at he moment in the forward line.

That's right Bingo.

Unfortunately alot are wanting him to be the messiah for the Dees, he has been hampered by OP. He is a good utility that can do a number of jobs for DB. He can go forward and kick goals, he can run through the midfield in bursts, and he has shown he is more than capable of helping in the backline on occassions. Not many others have the range of tools Sylvia possesses in the Melbourne side going forward.

Yet 'they' want to put him up for trade. Mind boggling :wacko:

Yet 'they' want to put him up for trade. Mind boggling :wacko:

Nothing wrong with putting him up for trade. Trading doesn't mean he's a crap player or i'll take whatever's on offer for sylvia.

You got to trade something of value to get something of value in return.

Nothing wrong with putting him up for trade. Trading doesn't mean he's a crap player or i'll take whatever's on offer for sylvia.

Trading for a draft pick somewhere between 25-35 doesn't guarantee that you'll get something of value.

Because High Tower is a Sylvia fan ;)

;) There is more room for improvement with Sylvia, a sound body would help, and improvement above the shoulders will happen. DB has the ability to implement these qualities. Not many have discussed his leadership qualities, many would argue Sylvia lacks in this department, some would suggest he has none. This is what he needs to work on, leadership and responsibility.

Hopefully the Didak, Shaw saga will open Sylvia's eyes regarding these values as mentioned.

It all stems from what occurs between his ears.. ...youd think he'd understand the impetus of that by now. He's being paid to be a professional..maybe he ought to carry himslef like one. Its no tharder than that Im affraid. It wont work the other way around. He has no motive within himslef it seems to be the player he could be. After all this time I doubt he ever will be. His problem, our cost..time to move on from him.

Col did very well this weekend. He was good up forward but then late in the game I saw him in the middle and he did well. I think he might have had 2 clearances.

There are more good things to come.......

...................Remember he's basically playing a lone hand at he moment in the forward line.

What rot. What about Bate, Maric, Davey, Miller, Valenti etc. And Johnson drops down, as does Jamar.

Midfielder? - doesn't have the motor

Avoids the contested ball, except on his terms

No defensive pressure.

He needs to be like a brad johnson, or paul chapman - small forwards that contest always, apply defensive pressure and have some sort of a motor.

To put his name on the same page is laughable.

I would look to trade him (do both him and MFC a favour) but not at any cost. Pick 20-30 would do me (hell, even 30-40), or a player type we want.

One thing I can tell you, I wouldn't enjoy playing on the same team as him.

Ime still waiting for Col too deliver. My Patients is running thin. I don't see him as a premiership player. I would certainly put him up for trade at years end, and if the right deal is made take it. If not well he gets a mighty shock and might put in for the Jumper. No 3 Draft Pick-Still waiting for that potential...That Turn over infuriated me Last Week. Plain LAZY for an AFL "elite" player!!!!GRRRR

Well said mate, could not agree more!

He really needs to work on his defensive side, thats my main issue with him, and the clubs!

The word is though he has quite a high trade value, so its gonna be intruiging!