Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Robert Warnock

Mono

well...we'd need that wooden spoon so we can have Number 1 pick in Uncontracted players draft.

i know i sound like a dufus, but ive been going every week to support the beloved dees..and now, i dont care if we lose, because boy oh boy do we need Naitanui...and we are threatened atm by essendon, freo and west coast..who will all tank to get him if it comes down to last few weeks. Sure, i'd love to [censored] beat collingwood..but as i've said, if we lose.it's one step closer to a brighter future.

we can't get to bogged down about this season, let it happen..and we'll be right and ready for a very successful period for the mfc

..and now, i dont care if we lose, because boy oh boy do we need Naitanui...

MCB..whlist most of us would like to see a bit of competiveness from the lads and certainly an improvement by the kids but i dont think anyone wants us really to win another game.

Dont sweat it :)

haha. don't worry. exactly..i wouldnt care if we lost every game by a point. We just have to be competitive..and i mean sure we dont want to be seen tanking.losing games deliberately..but the oopurtunities to continue to develop guys like aussie, morton, warnock, garland, frawls is awesome...get maric into the team for a few games, buckley WHY DID HE GET DROPPED..he's the only pace we have! moloney jones and mclean, great midfield but struggles against quick sides.

• 2 weeks later...
haha. don't worry. exactly..i wouldnt care if we lost every game by a point. We just have to be competitive..and i mean sure we dont want to be seen tanking.losing games deliberately..but the oopurtunities to continue to develop guys like aussie, morton, warnock, garland, frawls is awesome...get maric into the team for a few games, buckley WHY DID HE GET DROPPED..he's the only pace we have! moloney jones and mclean, great midfield but struggles against quick sides.

Watched him playing for the Dockers last night and I have no idea what the fuss is all about. He's lightly built after 2 or 3 years in the game, very gangly, not particulalry skilled around the ground or strong in the air.

A ruckman?

According to today's Hun he had 11 hit outs for a percentage efftiveness of 0%.

Enough said.

Watched him playing for the Dockers last night and I have no idea what the fuss is all about. He's lightly built after 2 or 3 years in the game, very gangly, not particulalry skilled around the ground or strong in the air.

A ruckman?

According to today's Hun he had 11 hit outs for a percentage efftiveness of 0%.

Enough said.

You have no clue. At 21 years of age and 206cm's he's still growing into his body. Three years ago he was drafted at 70 odd kilos. Next year he'll be playing at 100kg's - he's now 94.

If you look at the careers of Cox, McIntosh, Hale, Campbell, Taylor, etc, you'll see that none of them did anything of note before they were 22. In fact, most of their careers were less impressive than Warnock's to date at the same age. He's a huge talent and will become an elite ruckman in the competition.

But thanks for your contribution.

Edited - he's actually 206cm's not 204.

A ruckman?

Enough said.

I am a bit surprised that there weren't many messages today bemoaning the fact that Rob Warnock had shown so much last night that he would be hard to for us to pick up easily at the end of the year.

I was very impressed with his mobility, attack and willingness to go low for a contest.

He knew where the ball would go for the next contest and went there, covering a lot of space.

He was also brave except for when he got Ball, which was inexcusable.

I guess there were a few blunders but I was excited that the word is we may pick him up.

I think he would pretty quickly become our top ruck.

You have no clue. At 21 years of age and 204cm's he's still growing into his body. Three years ago he was drafted at 70 odd kilos. Next year he'll be playing at 100kg's - he's now 94.

If you look at the careers of Cox, McIntosh, Hale, Campbell, Taylor, etc, you'll see that none of them did anything of note before they were 22. In fact, most of their careers were less impressive than Warnock's to date at the same age. He's a huge talent and will become an elite ruckman in the competition.

But thanks for your contribution.

And thanks for your contribution Mr. Ruck Expert but you had better recheck your facts.

It is a fact that ruckmen take time to develop but, even at Warnock's current age (Cox is now 26, Warnock is 21), Cox was already a regular at the Eagles and averaging double the disposals and double the number of hit outs that Warnock's getting at the moment. Although I don't have statistics as to the accuracy of his hit outs, I'll bet that Cox beats 0%.

If you look at the career of Mark Jamar he was a better player at the same age than Warnock and you have no problem bagging him around here.

The point that I was making that his performance last night was nothing to be impressed about and the point that I make now is that you have no clue but thanks for your contribution anyway.

PS: Did you watch Warnock's performance at all last night?

And thanks for your contribution Mr. Ruck Expert but you had better recheck your facts.

It is a fact that ruckmen take time to develop but, even at Warnock's current age (Cox is now 26, Warnock is 21), Cox was already a regular at the Eagles and averaging double the disposals and double the number of hit outs that Warnock's getting at the moment. Although I don't have statistics as to the accuracy of his hit outs, I'll bet that Cox beats 0%.

If you look at the career of Mark Jamar he was a better player at the same age than Warnock and you have no problem bagging him around here.

The point that I was making that his performance last night was nothing to be impressed about and the point that I make now is that you have no clue but thanks for your contribution anyway.

I watched Warnocks performance last night and he looked young, raw and quite good. Showed guts to run back into a pack and take a mark in the the last half and one some hit outs around the ground. looks a good kick too.

i reckon he shows great promise.

It comes down to a reverse Jolly doesn't it?

We lost him because White was taking all the ruck time. The same thing is happening to Robbie, we should pounce.

The only problem. What do we do with PJ, Jamar, Meesen, White, Naitanui, Spencer AND Warnock all on the same list. That's 1/6h of your list all ruckmen.

No, I last saw Warnock against Brisbane and North, and watched him a number of times last year.

Look Loose, Warnock was always a project player due to his height and light frame. Players at 206cm and 70 something kilos are always going to take time and Freo knew this when they drafted him. Up until this year Freo had Sandilands and Justin Longmuir in the ruck, so it's little wonder he's spent time in the WAFL, but due to injury to Longmuir in 07 Warnock has been able to eek out 17 games to date in his AFL career. He's been a little slow to develop due to the reasons I mentioned, but he's athletic, moves well, and is very co-ordinated for his size.

Cox is an amazing talent and not many would fair well in a comparison. There's also not many beanpoles that have hit their straps at 21.

But for your edification I've compared Warnock with some other ruckman, as follows:

Games played at age 21 – even though some below turned 22 before that season’s end

Dean Cox 55

Darren Jolly 41

Simon Taylor 17

David Hale 37

Cameron Wood 24*

Robert Campbell 31

Hamish McIntosh 18

Mark Jamar 20

Robert Warnock 17*

*still 21

Possessions/Hitouts up to the age of 21 (or 22 by season's end)

Dean Cox 9.7/15

Darren Jolly 5.7/9.1

Simon Taylor 6/7.9

David Hale 7.8/7.9

Cameron Wood 7.2/11.2

Robert Campbell 5.4/10

Hamish McIntosh 9.7/7.1

Mark Jamar 4.8/9.2

Robert Warnock 10.1/9.1

Conclusion: Warnock has played less games than most, but he still has 9 more matches this season. He has averaged more possessions than any of the listed ruckman at the same age - Cox included. I didn't include marks, but he's only behind McIntosh and Cox, and he's thereabouts in the hitouts, although, understandably the giant Sandilands takes most of those. And if you'd read Gerard Healy's article about rucks not long back you wouldn't take any notice of hitouts to advantage.

His figures are better than Cameron Wood who was traded to Collingwood for pick 14 in the last trade period. They're roughly the same height and both are 21. In fact, Warnock's figures compare more than favourably with all of those listed and far better than some.

And he completely shits over Jamar. You embarrass yourself for even making the comparison.

He'll play at 100kg's next year and at 22/206cm's is a huge prospect.

Hope that helped.

And if you'd read Gerard Healy's article about rucks not long back you wouldn't take any notice of hitouts to advantage.

I agree H, I haven't seen that much of Warnock, but I was surprised about the 0% last night, as most of the hitouts I saw him take were put directly at the feet of a Freo onballer, there was also a terrific knock into space in the Freo F50 in the 2nd quarter they failed to capitalise on. Listening to the ABC over the last few weeks they were commenting on the pointlessness of Sandilands in the ruck, because although he wins 90% of the hitouts they aren't to his teams advantage. They were saying that Warnock hits it to much better places for his onballers.

He looks good below his knees and is quite mobile. I'll have to differ with those that think he's no good, he's OK in my book and I'd throw the required money at him.

It comes down to a reverse Jolly doesn't it?

We lost him because White was taking all the ruck time. The same thing is happening to Robbie, we should pounce.

The only problem. What do we do with PJ, Jamar, Meesen, White, Naitanui, Spencer AND Warnock all on the same list. That's 1/6h of your list all ruckmen.

Well...

Spencer is a rookie, right? Or at least a specualtive selection.

Jamar seems to have reached his limit, and may well not be with Melbourne next year.

White could be retired by next year, or at least within a year or two is likely.

Meesen hardly is looking like cluttering our first ruck spot, now, does he?

PJ is a versatile big-man who will support the ruck but moslty be a heavy utility.

Naitanui and Warnock don't actually play for us yet.

So in response to your concern about having so many ruckmen - we could just as easily be looking at ZERO rucks for next year as seven!

I'd rather have Warnock, Naitanui and PJ (in descending order of ruck time %) than the current collection.

Concerned a bit by Warnock's stats and hit-outs to advantage, definately. But on the bright side his brother went from ok VFL player to solid AFL player in the space of about eight weeks, at the age of 24, so I wouldn't write Robbie off at all.

Personally, I have a gut feeling this years PSD will be an interesting one, and that it would be worth snaring R. Warnock in exchange for a late pick, just cos it's nice to Freo...

I agree H, I haven't seen that much of Warnock, but I was surprised about the 0% last night, as most of the hitouts I saw him take were put directly at the feet of a Freo onballer, there was also a terrific knock into space in the Freo F50 in the 2nd quarter they failed to capitalise on. Listening to the ABC over the last few weeks they were commenting on the pointlessness of Sandilands in the ruck, because although he wins 90% of the hitouts they aren't to his teams advantage. They were saying that Warnock hits it to much better places for his onballers.

He looks good below his knees and is quite mobile. I'll have to differ with those that think he's no good, he's OK in my book and I'd throw the required money at him.

Sandilands hits the ball where he wants it to - his onballers are just too stupid to go to that spot.

And I saw 2 or 3 hitouts that Warnock won to advantage but he looked all at sea around the ground and in general play McEvoy (imo) killed him.

DD (either of the 2) , you could throw Zomer into that list as well.

Having saud all that though, there's still a better than 50/50 chance to stay at Freo next year

Touche H. However it might be wasted on those who could most benefit

If the MFC board was salivating over Warnock like some of the posters around here, we'd end up having to give up our top two draft picks and pay him an annual salary upwards of $500k :lol: .

I prefer LL's approach of keeping the lid on him. At this stage he's potential only although the upside could be substantial if he matures like his brother has this year at age 24.

I am a bit surprised that there weren't many messages today bemoaning the fact that Rob Warnock had shown so much last night that he would be hard to for us to pick up easily at the end of the year.

I was very impressed with his mobility, attack and willingness to go low for a contest.

He knew where the ball would go for the next contest and went there, covering a lot of space.

He was also brave except for when he got Ball, which was inexcusable.

I guess there were a few blunders but I was excited that the word is we may pick him up.

I think he would pretty quickly become our top ruck.

I agree Franky I reckon he'd be a great asset if we could get him.

Ruckmen don't hit their straps until 24, and we'd be looking at a long term partnership with Natanui. Either that or we take a midfielder with the draft pick and develop a second ruckman ourselves.

If the MFC board was salivating over Warnock like some of the posters around here, we'd end up having to give up our top two draft picks and pay him an annual salary upwards of $500k :lol: .

I prefer LL's approach of keeping the lid on him. At this stage he's potential only although the upside could be substantial if he matures like his brother has this year at age 24.

I have not seen anyone salivate nor offer two draft picks and upwards of $500k p.a. ... but many just recognise where he is at current and believe he has great potential at 21 in a maturing physique.

I have not seen anyone salivate nor offer two draft picks and upwards of $500k p.a. ... but many just recognise where he is at current and believe he has great potential at 21 in a maturing physique.

Exactly, at this stage he is still jsut potential but there is much there to work with. I'm certainly not salivating over him, but given that he wants to return to Melbourne (city), we are in the box seat to get the top PSD draft pick, and we have his brother who is establishing himself as a long-term defensive option, we have a great chance to bolster our future ruck division.

As for fitting them all in, i personally think we're in more need of a quick, high skilled midfielder, and with PJ showing something around the ground as well as at the stoppages, Warnock, PJ, and Meesen (who i still have hops for) could all take on the no. 1 role.

You have no clue.

Folks.

Let's keep the discussion civil and please no personal attacks on each other.

Hannabal, please note that if you have a point to make about a subject, your argument would be far more credible if you addressed the point rather than attacking the poster whose views might differ from yours. There's no place here for ad hominem insults.

The same goes for everyone else.

Thank you and cheers.

Andy

How do you expect Warnock to be racking up stats when Freo have a number one ruckman like Sandilands? To compare his stats with Cox's at the same age is a little spurious. Given more opportunity at number one he might be more impressive.

Personally, I have a gut feeling this years PSD will be an interesting one, and that it would be worth snaring R. Warnock in exchange for a late pick, just cos it's nice to Freo...

Great quote. Melbourne will have Yze and Neitz off the list at the end of the year. Probably close to a $1 Mil per year, who would you spend that money on, can't see anyone at Melbourne deserving that sort of money. Also add that the commitment to Brisbane for Johnstone finishes this year.

You add White and Bruce's will not demand as much next time their contracts are up, Melbourne have a lot of money to pay for a trade, and under the rules they MUST pay it. And with the likelihood of 1st pick in the PSD, then it is going to be interesting.

White wont be asking anything when his contract is up!!! White will fade to Grey ( and I know that makes no sense whatsoever..lol ) White will retire..esp if Melb look like grabbing RW .