Andrew Demetriou

titan_uranus

I thought the crowd was pretty good today - the weather would have kept a few away.

Was talking about that before the game with the old man. I would have described today as the archetypal day (weather-wise) for AFL footy. A bit of drizzle early but mostly just overcast. I've missed going to games in cold weather - how it should be played.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It struck me that the effect of his comments was to elicit an FU from the scum supporters.

Thanks you *&^%$ for that - presumably mission accomplished.

I reckon you are way off the mark there.

I'd be interested to know that reasons for the no-shows, i can't believe that it was purely results. Last year was just as bad, but at least this year we're weeding out the duds and blooding some young guns. I do think that Vlads comments had a bit to do with it, but i also think that Collingwood supporters wern't as pumped for this as usual. From my vantage point it looked like 60% Pies-40% Dees, which means a drop in support from them as well.

From where I was sitting it felt as though the crowd was split 50-50. Melbourne supporters certainly turned up.

Not a chance this [censored] is going to take the game off us because we fell 400 short of 60,000.

So, 59,548 attendance. How much did Demetriou's intervention cost us? We've had north of 70,000 in last 2 years. It struck me that the effect of his comments was to elicit an FU from the scum supporters.

Thanks you *&^%$ for that - presumably mission accomplished.

Must have been 20,000 that were spooked. :lol: What a ridiculous post.

I actually thought the MFC supporter numbers at the game were significant relative to previous years.

If anything I thought the Pies numbers were slightly down given it was an expected win and outside the Vlad controversy and the MFC 150 year there was little to suggest more than a simple win by the Pies.

Overall it was not a bad match.

Demetriou's comments are ridiculous.

Melbourne and Collingwood have attracted over 60,000 to all QB games since 2001 except for one year (which was during construction of the new stand).

Where does he pull this 60,000 figure from? Why is the pressure put on all of a sudden when we had 70k rock up last year and nearly 80k the year before? Maybe if we were pulling low crowds continuously to QB games then make a comment, but to just out of the blue make completely baseless allegations about Melbourne not pulling crowds to the QB game is just ridiculous.

The other factor is we're last. This is as bad as we'll be. No team gets huge crowds when they're playing poorly. Carlton and Collingwood, two heavily supported clubs, have only got more than 60,000 to their games since 2002 in 5 of 13 matches. This is meant to be THE rivalry and they have more often than not got less than 60,000. That's because Carlton has been woeful. Now they could get 80,000 next week to the Blue and Pies.

When the Dees rise again, and if the Pies are still playing well, we'll get over 80,000 to QB.

Now they could get 80,000 next week to the Blue and Pies.

If they don't get 80,000 to the Blues/Pies match next week I think the AFL should take it off them and give it to two other teams.

If they don't get 80,000 to the Blues/Pies match next week I think the AFL should take it off them and give it to two other teams.

haha

ive already heard some people say that we outnumbered the filth fans

i dont think we did but we still had a really impressive turn out

There's not much interest when a bottom inconsistnet team like ours is playing. I thought the crowd today for an overcast day was pretty good, but would've been better had we been comptitive all year.

But we only seem to play well when there's an emotional reason - Neitz/Collingwood etc. Next week will probably get thrashed playing Richmond - although we should win it for Stynes 1st day at the helm.

I think if we had a consistent, competitive season, we may have easily reached 70,000 today.

I reckon this was the first game agains the filth that I've ever been to where Melbourne supporters haven't been outnumbered vastly, so I guess Demetriou's comments had the desired effect of getting Melbourne people to the game. Problem was that the filth supporters assumed we would be pushovers and they assumed they'd win, and with the weather this morning they probably decided not to go.

Reckon it was 55% Collingmaggots and 45% MFC legend fans there today.

What a difference it was with MFC giving away flags for the Freo and todays games. Having missed out of the free flags at the Freo game, I looked at buying flags today but at $25 bucks a pop, and I would have to buy 4 - can't justify it. Those flags would have cost the club Sweet F%$k All, but crikey it made a difference to the supporters/members. It must be an awesome sight to the players.

There is NO doubt we were louder than the filth suppoters - then again it's hard to yell with no teeth!

How do we know that the tooth brush was invented in Collingwood? Cause if it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called a TEETHbrush!

Cheers

Moose

Guest melbman
How do we know that the tooth brush was invented in Collingwood? Cause if it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called a TEETHbrush!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was the Collingwood supporters who didn't show today.

Them and the MCC, which was disappointing.

Still, with the drizzling rain at about 11.30 (decision time for LOTS of people really), almost right on 60k is a half decent result.

I reckon since 2003 the crowd has got more and more even on Queens Birthday.

In 03 it was shocking, there may have been less than 10k MFC supporters there, but last year I reckon it was 40-60, and while I only made it to the ground at 3/4 time after work, it felt pretty 50-50, maybe a touch our way.

I'm not sure if Demetriou's comments helped or hindered us. The intention was to bring our people out, but it may have done that and also kept some Collingwood people away. Maybe the drizzley rain kept the soft [censored] Pies fans away, who knows.

Demetriou's comments were stupid, but the intent was to provoke a response from our fans.

From what I saw, there was a very good turnout from Dees fans.

What a difference it was with MFC giving away flags for the Freo and todays games. Having missed out of the free flags at the Freo game, I looked at buying flags today but at $25 bucks a pop, and I would have to buy 4 - can't justify it. Those flags would have cost the club Sweet F%$k All, but crikey it made a difference to the supporters/members.

After we kicked a goal there was a heap of red and blue, all the way from the Southern Stand around to the MCC via the Olympic stand. It was good to see, considering the Melbourne support isn't normally that obvious.

[quote name='Rhino Richards' date='Jun 9 2008, 06:27 PM' post='153459' What a ridiculous post.

And it was a ridiculous post because...?

The post says it was the scum that didn't turn up, and that numbers were significantly down on recent years (for those with limited attention span - last year we had the same win ratio).

Clearly we did turn up. Well done.

"Certain" wins have never held back the scum from turning up, so the missing factor is...? I expected north of 65,000 today, and it was not the Demon faithful that were missing.

Outside of Demetriou's comments and MFC's 150 year from the perspective of Collingwood it hardly a competitive prospect and was knock down win against an underperforming and weak opposition. They were hardly going to turn up in the droves that usually do for a competitive game. But dont fool yourself Collingwood still represented the good majority of the crowd.

I just cant believe Vlad spooked 20,000 Pies from turning up. :lol:

Outside of Demetriou's comments and MFC's 150 year from the perspective of Collingwood it hardly a competitive prospect and was knock down win against an underperforming and weak opposition. They were hardly going to turn up in the droves that usually do for a competitive game. But dont fool yourself Collingwood still represented the good majority of the crowd.

I just cant believe Vlad spooked 20,000 Pies from turning up. :lol:

So, in 2007 with similar weather, Melbourne with 1 win for the season, Collingwood flying, we draw 70,000.

2008 - similar weather and form scenarios, robust representation from Melbourne fans and we get 11,000 fewer people.

I reckon that Demetriou was not helpful in pointing out to the feral how important this game was to Melbourne.

And no, I wasn't fooling myself - I'll leave that to the fools.