Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Andrew Demetriou

titan_uranus

Totally disagree. Are you devoid of all passion Rhino?

The AFL needs to get off its high horse and recognise us for who we are and what we stand for. We are the oldest proudest football team in the world, our history is as long as the game itself. We have provided some of the games champions and developed the arena it is played in.

The fact we are not the powerhouse we once were is for many well discussed reasons, but we will never be irrelevant and should never be treated that way!

Not at all. I am very passionate about MFC. I just dont let the passion fuzz the reality of the situation we are in.

On the contrary, MFC supporters might climb down from the wooden horse and wonder why the AFL actually tips in so much money and no one attends the matches. What you think we stand for does not seem relevant to overall football supporters who prefer to support other clubs not Melbourne. There's a big vote about relevance.

BTW, I believe Sheffield (United??) soccer club is the oldest football club in the world just pipping MFC. By the way Fitzroy were one of the oldest clubs too. Means diddlysquat in today's football and the for the past decade.

The fact is that people need to realise that unless we start getting to games and supporting the Club then we wont have access to QBW. Its been like that for quite a while. We cant expect continual financial or fixturing support from the AFL if MFC supporters dont turn up to the games.

Its no good bleating about it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demetriou is bringing up the threat of excluding us from the QB game because it's all they have left to threaten us with.

Once the Balance fund dries up, and with us already having just about the worst fixture possible, commercially speaking, there's not actually anything left the AFL can take away from us.

And once we're in a position with nothing to lose...

Well. The AFL will get a sustained earful from a club which has been callously targeted for years by the incompetent and reactive 'leadership' of the AFL under Demetriou.

Queen's Birthday fixtures, a record which apparently leaves us in a precarious position -

2007 - 70,660

2006 - 78,773

2005 - 65,347

2004 - 56,988, (Collingwood were having a bad year, and as we know, they don't turn up when the going is tough)

2003 - 60,010

2002 - 65,860

2001 - 62,761

2000 - was played on saturday?

Actually, that looks to me like a general growth pattern, which may suffer a hiccup this year, but it's not like this is the kind of administratoin which would pursue a radical knee-jerk reaction to essentially a non-problem.

Oh dear, I can see it now - all patrons to submit paperwork notifying AFL officials of each game they will attend for the coming year, and clubs to be awarded 50m penalties if their opponent's supporters leave the gate area too early.

Of course, I'd be happy to play two games a year against Collingwood, if the present fixturing arrangement is deemed too advantageous for our club...

Not at all. I am very passionate about MFC. I just dont let the passion fuzz the reality of the situation we are in.

On the contrary, MFC supporters might climb down from the wooden horse and wonder why the AFL actually tips in so much money and no one attends the matches. What you think we stand for does not seem relevant to overall football supporters who prefer to support other clubs not Melbourne. There's a big vote about relevance.

BTW, I believe Sheffield (United??) soccer club is the oldest football club in the world just pipping MFC. By the way Fitzroy were one of the oldest clubs too. Means diddlysquat in today's football and the for the past decade.

The fact is that people need to realise that unless we start getting to games and supporting the Club then we wont have access to QBW. Its been like that for quite a while. We cant expect continual financial or fixturing support from the AFL if MFC supporters dont turn up to the games.

and yet we are getting the crowds to Queens birthday games.

It's no use being all nice and philosophical about our situation when you obviously have a man in charge of the AFL who has us in the gun.

Focussing on destroying a game that has historically brought in good crowds is a disgrace and if he went through with it, would be a devastating blow to the MFC, a club with the highest conversion rate of supporters to members in the land.

To me he is going for the jugular now.

Possibly. But if you look at it in a slightly different, albeit bleak light, he could be putting a little pressure on the MFC (as he has been ever so subtly all this year). I firmly believe the AFL want to reduce VIC teams in order to allow them to more easily turn the AFL into "our national game."

I think there are 3 other clubs in the gun with MFC.

If Melbourne supporters come out its a win for the AFL. If they don't and a huge amount of pressure falls onto MFC, so so be it - you could argue another win for the AFL. Demetriou has nothing to lose by saying what he has said.

If more people support MFC why isnt it a win for MFC as well? If they dont, MFC loses out like it does currently when spectators dont front to games. The AFL loses because it loses gate receipts and then has to increase the likelihood of special funding to the AFL.

IMO Demetriou is a corporate bully only looking after his bottom line.

You are right. However the AFL was charged by the Clubs with maximising the profitability and popularity of the game. And individual Clubs that continually fail that critieria are under pressure.

Then why dont we have these member numbers when we are not on the brink and supporters repeatedly dont attend games?

Because MFC have always been the Affluent club and rich people don't spend their cash,that's why they're rich.

Look at the Kangaroos,on the brink last year,30,000+ members this year,same with Bulldogs,Hawks within last 5 years.

In fact,Hawks had stuff all members 5 years ago,now they're flying!!!!

Kerry Stokes is our richest supporter,a Billionaire!!!!! He's probably not even a paid up member.

According to research Melbourne ranks as one of the best clubs at converting supporters to members based on our nationwide supporter base.

I understand where the club is at and more importantly the things it needs to improve.

The point of my post is I'm sick of being treated a certain way because of our lack of members. It has been well established we have the smallest supporter base. Add to that the hidrance of the MCC.

We are putting things in place to grow that support base but it the task is made harder by the AFL and media constantly criticisising us and questioning our place in this competition.

and yet we are getting the crowds to Queens birthday games.

It's no use being all nice and philosophical about our situation when you obviously have a man in charge of the AFL who has us in the gun.

Focussing on destroying a game that has historically brought in good crowds is a disgrace and if he went through with it, would be a devastating blow to the MFC, a club with the highest conversion rate of supporters to members in the land.

To me he is going for the jugular now.

......on the back of Collingwood supporters.

Logically, if the AFL were to replace the traditional QBW clash with another game they would be ensuring it would be Collingwood and someone else that would give them greater assurance of 80000 to 90000.

If the AFL were going for the jugular they could do far worse.

It would be a great blow for MFC and Macca and the MFC Board need to fight it tooth and nail. Supporters need to come out of the woodwork and get to the game. Otherwise we have only ourselves to blame.

It's obviously been mentioned before, but it's worth highlighting the fact that the AFL makes it more difficult for the smaller Clubs to increase supporters and members with their fixturing/broadcasting. It's a very vicious cycle.

According to research Melbourne ranks as one of the best clubs at converting supporters to members based on our nationwide supporter base.

I've also heard that we have the lowest 'churn' rate in the AFL.

...which is all somewhat unfortunate in a way, considering it's more difficult to improve our lot.

It offically starts now. The AFL are making their move to move us to the Gold Coast. It's a myth that the AFL want 18 teams they just want a team at the Gold Coast and no byes. We are the target make no mistake about it we are in serious trouble as soon as we got Bailey I knew this would happen wrong coach, wrong time. We needed a fighter someone who can stick up for the club like Sheedy.

Stynes better pull a rabbit out of the hat cause that is what its going to take to turn the club around. ATM I have heard nothing from no one which is a major concern considering we are getting kicked in the head every week. Garry Lyon has been half hearted in every thing he's done for the club so far if he doesn't rip into that fat [censored] on the confidential\Footy Show next week then stay away from the club. Your time is now Garry make a statement that the club will no longer be pushed around.

I hope we do get 60,000 but I think no one should be forced to go out of their way to watch the [censored] that the club is dishing out we are getting belted nearly every week and are last. Every club in the AFL would have a big drop off in supporters even the great Collingwood if they were in our position.

I find Demetriou's remarks completely unnecessary. He's there to run the administrative side of the game and let the clubs get on with puting on a spectacle. If the prospective crowd numbers are worrying let our club and President drum up numbers for the match. If he wants to sound warnings to individual clubs then do it behind closed doors.

Frankly, he should shut the fug up.

[quote name='mousey' date='Jun 6

"Look at the dreamtime fixture between Richmond and Essendon compared to QB

DT = 61,000 QB = 70,000 2006 DT = 58,000 QB = 78,000"

And if I remember correctly, rain has been predicted, and usually fallen, on QB the last few years, which has a significant neg. effect on attendance numbers.

Demetriou might be using a ploy to try to bump the crowd up, but I think it's likely to be detrimental(make that "Demetri-ental")

to our Club, which is an easy target at present.

As I remember, Collingwood's been favourite in this game usually in recent years, but we usually win! If Kennett's insults fired us up v. The Tassie/Waverley Hawks, lets hope Demetriou stirs our guys up for this game. Wouldn't it be great to beat the cocky Mudpies! I don't know who's going to kick our goals?????Garland up forward?

I understand where the club is at and more importantly the things it needs to improve.

The point of my post is I'm sick of being treated a certain way because of our lack of members. It has been well established we have the smallest supporter base. Add to that the hidrance of the MCC.

We are putting things in place to grow that support base but it the task is made harder by the AFL and media constantly criticisising us and questioning our place in this competition.

I share your frustration. But the lack of members, low supporter base, poor on field form and expectation of $1 million+ losses aint helping us. The MCC actually put money into the MFC that it did not to other Clubs. I think the MCC is alot valuable to the MFC cause that is often given credit.

As a Club we have been fiddling around for some years and despite best intentions are not close to addressing nor turning around many of the long standing weaknesses we have. We have a finite time to do so.

[quote name='mousey' date='Jun 6

"Look at the dreamtime fixture between Richmond and Essendon compared to QB

DT = 61,000 QB = 70,000 2006 DT = 58,000 QB = 78,000"

And if I remember correctly, rain has been predicted, and usually fallen, on QB the last few years, which has a significant neg. effect on attendance numbers.

Demetriou might be using a ploy to try to bump the crowd up, but I think it's likely to be detrimental(make that "Demetri-ental")

to our Club, which is an easy target at present.

As I remember, Collingwood's been favourite in this game usually in recent years, but we usually win! If Kennett's insults fired us up v. The Tassie/Waverley Hawks, lets hope Demetriou stirs our guys up for this game. Wouldn't it be great to beat the cocky Mudpies! I don't know who's going to kick our goals?????Garland up forward?

Let hope Freo wins as well! B)

I agree with much of what you've said.

I also think that consistent negative stereotyping etc can create something of an air of inevitability about the Dees as a struggling Club, and much of the comments are uninformed and unfair.

Every club in the AFL would have a big drop off in supporters even the great Collingwood if they were in our position.

Indeed - the 'fickle' tag probably annoys me the most. Hawthorn had pretty poor m/ship figures a few years ago, when they were struggling. It's good now, on the back of on-field improvement and some pretty marketable players. If our m/ship figures suggest we're 'fickle', then fans of all Clubs are (which is probably a fair call).

I find Demetriou's remarks completely unnecessary. He's their to run the administrative side of the game and let the clubs get on with puting on a spectacle. If the prospective crowd numbers are worrying let our club and President drum up numbers for the match. If he wants to sound warnings to individual clubs then do it behind closed doors.

Frankly, he should shut the fug up.

I agree. It's not his job to "drum up" support. Even if it was, that's not what that was. It was an unnecessary threat and a pointless kick in the guts to our club and its members.

Very poor comment IMO.

Time and time again I find this Tosseer Demitrifool to be totally out of touch. Keep in mind this is the same clown..yes clown who wants to set up a Gold Coast team without doing due dilligence on a ground ffs !!

Yes its off to Beijing for a swaaningg around.. big knobbing..when HIS job ought to dictate that he attends historically one of the most importan tgames ever.

So its alrigh tis it Andrew to tell us to turn up when you cant be F**king bothered to do it yourself ?? Thats a bit rich mate I'd suggest !!

The Only thing..and I mean ONLY ..that makes AD look half way intelligent is his little lap dog poodle off a side kick in Anderson.

Andrew ..have you NO real management abilities ?.. you dont go round threatening folks.. you encourage and support. But of course thats not your agenda is it.

I really am tired of this bloke...he doesnt have Football at his heart.. just "business expansionist ego" issues !! :angry: <_<

I'm hoping, beyond reason, that this is a non commital statement from Demetriou.

Surely he knows that this match has only once drawn below 60,000, and as such knows that this will not feature less that 60. Could even be 80, pies fans would love to win this one after the last 4.

Besides, the only one to drop below 60,000, in 2004, was one of the most bitterly cold days i can remember. Does anyone else remember it? Not just the rain, but was very very cold, following on from 3 QB thrashings.

The game is now becomming an institution, we need to add something though to make it a permanant fixture. At the moment it's just two (ex)rivals playing on a timed out holiday. We need to add something to it, though i don't know how, and we'll be fine.

It's a massive game and i hope to God melbourne supporters really turn out to make this game a massive one.

For the noncommital statement however, i think we'll be left wanting. Vlad has his head up his..

My biggest worry is that Demetriou's comments re the MFC are becoming increasingly frequent. The QB crowd comment takes the cake.

Yes, the man's a tool but he's in charge of where and how the AFL develops unfortunately. For him it's all about dollars from extra teams and television rights.

He wants to be remembered as the best accountant the AFL ever had.

No heart, no passion, no respect for history that's given him the job in the first place.

Enjoy the Olympics you self-serving ignorant [censored].

I think Demetriou would've loved Collingwood & Carlton to play each QB to maximise a long weekend attendance - which seems to be the most important issue in his life.

In future, this may be considered, especially when a small Gold Coast stadium of 20,000 reduces overall attendances averages!!!!

Maybe then Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton could just play each other 4 times per year.

They will not take the QB game off the table between us and the Pies because of the crowds look at the attendances over the years, this is only a smokescreen because it will only show that they want us out of Victoria and they do not want to go down this path, don't get sucked into this crap, I bet the AFL know what model the club is about to take leading into the future. AD tried to meddle with NM and got burnt, will be the same with us.......

I'm hoping, beyond reason, that this is a non commital statement from Demetriou.

Surely he knows that this match has only once drawn below 60,000, and as such knows that this will not feature less that 60. Could even be 80, pies fans would love to win this one after the last 4.

Besides, the only one to drop below 60,000, in 2004, was one of the most bitterly cold days i can remember. Does anyone else remember it? Not just the rain, but was very very cold, following on from 3 QB thrashings.

Yeah I remember 2004: the only year not to draw 60,000+. Rainy, cold, MFC had been thrashed the previous 3 QB matches, and, if I remember correctly, it was right in the middle of the construction of the new stand so numbers were down all of that year.

Hopefully enough filth supporters will show up to make a healthy crowd.

It's very, very clear what Demtriou's stance is on the MFC and 10 teams in Melbourne. He seems to be purposely driving the MFC to its death. He isn't helping by branding the club "wothless" and now saying that our most profitable game of the year is in jeopardy. This has nothing to with giving other clubs who are in need of an event a go, but rather slowly taking things away from us and leaving us with nothing.

It's very, very clear what Demtriou's stance is on the MFC and 10 teams in Melbourne. He seems to be purposely driving the MFC to its death. He isn't helping by branding the club "wothless" and now saying that our most profitable game of the year is in jeopardy. This has nothing to with giving other clubs who are in need of an event a go, but rather slowly taking things away from us and leaving us with nothing.

Do you honestly believe that ? I just listened to him on MMM and what he said is exactly right. We are in a perilous state on and off the field. To think that AD has it in for our club and wants us to die is just ridiculous. He is making a very clear statement to our "supporters" that if you want the club to survive we are going to have to make it survive because we cannot live on AFL handouts for ever.

I would highly doubt that the AFL have any intention of taking QB off the Dees. It is a wake up call to our supporters that it is time they put up their hand and said yes I want this club to survive and I will support them through thick and thin.

It is about time we stopped playing the victim in all of this nonsense with the AFL and tried to look at our own patch and realise just how bad a state we are in, and the only ones that can fix it are us.

i like the greeks who helped tony mokbel leave melbourne more than andrew demitrou, where are they hopefully they can help us send andrew to greece too, only this time nobody will give a [censored] that its andrew missing cos he cant do his job properly just like those wanking umpires who he overpays, why doesnt he concentrate more on getting the umpires to do their job properly and leave us alone. i will always be a melbourne supporter i will always buy a melbourne membership but one thing that really puts me off the football is stupid umpire decisions which make me dislike this game more and more each week which is also the reason i get a membership for melbourne victory at least the soccer umpires arent as crap as afl umpires.