Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

36, 52 & 54

Whispering_Jack

For Demon fans, the excitement was taken out of next month's AFL National Draft when Melbourne traded pick 12 to the Brisbane Lions for Mitch Clark leaving us to contemplate picks 36, 52 and 54. Beyond that, if we delist another player or two we're looking at a pick in the 70s or the Pre Season Draft. 

But where do you go to even find out who's available at these levels?

I finally got a brainwave. Go to the experts at bigfooty. 

I agree there's a lot of BS going on over there but I do like the cut of draft watcher Knightmare's jib so I checked out his latest phantom draft and below are the players in the range of his predictions:-

Knightmare's Phantom Draft

#35 St Kilda – Shane Kersten (WA – Fwd/KPF)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 15/03/1993

Recruited from: South Fremantle

Style: Brendan Fevola

Player comparison:

Range: 10-rookie

Profile: Undersized key position forward. Was a standout in the 2010 U18 champs but has had injury difficulties this year. Has a great goal sense. Really strong mark on the lead and is that leading type forward. Has a nice long right foot kick and can use his left around the goal without any difficulty. Doesn’t have a whole lot of positional flexibility and probably will play as a leading full forward at the next level even though at his size I’d rather he be more of a 3rd tall. Form has been there and has finished off the season incredibly strongly with some massive hauls. Very ready to go for a key forward but at his height upside possibly limited so you draft him on what he can produce now. 

Why: 

#36 Melbourne – Jordan Lockyer (WA – Def/Fwd)

Height: 190cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 15/06/1993

Recruited from: West Perth Football Club 

Style: 

Player comparison: Jack Anthony

Range: 25-55

Profile: Really aggressive, physical player. You can tell he grew up in a footballing family. Undersized KPP who proved during the U18 Champs that he can play well down either end. Has a fierce attack on the footy. Can do a job defensively but also can take big grabs. Has the strength to stand up in tackles and even take on tacklers. Skill level is very good for someone of his size and type. Versatile and should settle into a position as a 3rd tall down either end at AFL level.

Why: 

#37 St Kilda – Nic Haynes (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 18/05/1992

Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Style: 

Player comparison: Sam Gilbert (Fwd version)

Range: 15-45

Profile: Tall wingman who can play forward. Is that year older. Very thin build still. Late bloomer and has grown significantly over past 2 years suggesting more improvement. Very strong overhead and consistently marks at the highest point. Very agile and has nice running ability. 

Why: 

#38 Hawthorn – Marley Williams (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1993

Recruited from: Claremont Football Club 

Style: Paul Chapman

Player comparison: Alex Fasolo

Range: 30-rookie

Profile: Real angry ant. The thing that stands out with Williams is his super long kicking. Final game of the champs off one foot showed his penetration with a huge 55m bomb off one step for the goal. Looked routine. Has a really strong build and seems like that Alex Fasolo type where he could play in from season one. Has really nice speed for someone with such a solid build. Really like some of the hard bumps and team things he does off the ball. Enjoys chasing and harassing. Endurance needs some work but with time in the AFL system that will come. Can Paul Chapman style lose his temper and be undisciplined but hopefully that energy can be harnessed over his career and put to better use. 

Why:

I like the sound of pick 35 Shane Kersten right down to his playing style equivalent. I have no doubt that those Demonlanders clamoring for us to get Fev will like him too!

Then we go down to the range of our second and third selections and discover that Fletcher Roberts is down as far as 50. Perhaps the draft is a bit deeper than I thought.

#50 Collingwood – Fletcher Roberts (VIC – KPF/Ruck)

Height: 197cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 03/06/1993

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Range: 35-rookie

Profile: Athletic key forward who can play in the ruck. Will be best known for his outstanding effort in TAC Cup grand final kicking 5 goals, 3 of which in the final quarter to win the game. Players are made on the big stage and Roberts will get big consideration because we now know that he can lift for the moment in the big games when he has to. Is at a great high and the potential is there for him to develop. 

Why: 

#51 Port Adelaide- Cam Eardley (WA – Mid/Def)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/06/1993

Recruited from: East Fremantle Football Club

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Really hard player who really contests very hard any time he gets near the footy. Very physical and enjoys all the hard stuff. Wins plenty of his own ball. Really liked what he did down back when Lockyer got injured for WA. Held really strong down back and really has that defensive side to his game down which was encouraging. 

Why:

#52 Melbourne – Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (SA – Mid)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 28/01/1993

Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Big, strong inside player. Already physically pretty ready to go and should have a fairly immediate impact. Nice height. Potential is there. Recent form has been very good. Has been a big ball winner throughout the year. I do think he has dominated stoppages on size more than anything which he won’t be able to do at the next level, so I don’t think he will necessarily go as high as some of his bigger fans might lead you to believe. 

Why:

#53 Hawthorn – Henry Schade (TAS - KPD)

Height: 194cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 08/10/1993

Recruited from: North Hobart 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Really solid full back. Good reader of the play. Long left foot kick. Good leap. Has nice pace. Agile. Not often that he gets beaten 1v1. One of the best for Tasmania during the champs and looks like a good chance to get drafted. 

Why: 

#54 Melbourne – Steve Rusca (SA – Def/Mid)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 24/06/1993

Recruited from: Central District

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Is that smaller type. But can play down back and rotate into the midfield. Work rate good. Skill level very good. Always composed and makes good decisions. Big accumulator. Good run and carry play who gives good drive from the back half. 

Why: 

#55 Richmond – Jimmy Webster (TAS - Mid)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 28/06/1993

Recruited from: Glenorchy 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Really nice left footer. Has nice penetration on his kick. Great user of the footy. Good pace. Didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped during the champs and because of it has gone down my rankings. But looks like a really solid prospect none the less. Really talented outside mid who can go forward and have an impact. 

Why:

#56 GWS – Cameron Valentine (VIC – Fwd)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 02/11/1993

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style: 

Player comparison: Jeremy Howe

Profile: Young forward who has missed some time through illness. Has even played some ruck and competed well but won’t at next level. Strong marking forward with an incredibly good leap and can take some absolute hangers. Has a high work rate which allows him to make those multiple leads. Also a really nice contested mark. Takes it at the highest point which is what you look for in any forward. Skill level very good. Very draftable. 

Why: 

#57 Western Bull Dogs – Tom Curran (VIC – KPF/KPD) 

Height: 195cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 18/09/1993

Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers 

Style: Sam Fisher

Player comparison:

Range: 30-60

Profile: Can play both key position forward or back well. The thing that stands out with Tom is his marking ability, very strong mark overhead and on the lead. Good size. Lacks a yard of pace. Was ok during the U18 championships but didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. Has since really built his form up and played some really good football to close out the season as a key defender. 

Why:

#58 Fremantle – Matthew Jacquier (SA - Fwd)

Height: 188cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 29/03/1993

Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Profile: Medium forward with a fantastic skill set. Really good user of the footy and finds targets by foot consistently with either foot. Really smart user of the ball in general play and can fake one way and go the other effectively despite not being a super athlete. Really good finisher around the goal. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Has a sound set shot goal kicking routine. Has the ability to turn his man inside out. Was very surprised to not see him feature in any games during the champs because he is a quality talent.

Why: 

I reckon I deserve a phone call of gratitude from the Demon recruiters for bringing these players to their attention.

With no early picks and ,according to the experts, a fairly even spread of talent through the middle of the draft, I think we should target needs this draft.

Our biggest need is a quality crumbing forward and history shows you can get decent ones later in the draft. Second I'd be after a small defender that can take on that small crumbing forward.

Following your lead WJ here's Knightmare's thoughts on a few of them. First the small forwards

#10 GWS - Devon Smith (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 175cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 20/05/1993

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Style: Brent Harvey

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25

Profile: Not tall, but a big ball winner who works hard around the ground. If you play him up forward he will give you the tackling effort you look for in a small forward. Dominant at U18 level. Leader. Has as good burst of speed and he has great endurance allowing him to pick up big numbers regularly. Strong overhead for size. Hard to see him having the same impact at the next level against bigger, more disciplined opposition because at U18 level he seems to get by because he works harder than everyone else. But still has the opportunity to have a solid AFL career whether that be as a forward or later on through the midfield.

#31 Essendon – Murray Newman (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 177cm, Weight: 65kg, DOB: 18/11/1993

Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile: Really nice midfielder/forward who is really dangerous whenever he gets the ball in hand. Really good user of the footy and something just seems to happen every time he gets near it. Has pace. Has really good vision and is really good at finding space. Looks like a really nice talent even though he is on the small side. Physically a fair bit of development to come.

#56 GWS – Marley Williams (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1993

Recruited from: Claremont Football Club

Style: Paul Chapman

Player comparison: Alex Fasolo

Profile: Real angry ant. The thing that stands out with Williams is his super long kicking. Final game of the champs off one foot showed his penetration with a huge 55m bomb off one step for the goal. Looked routine. Has a really strong build and seems like that Alex Fasolo type where he could play in from season one. Has really nice speed for someone with such a solid build. Really like some of the hard bumps and team things he does off the ball. Enjoys chasing and harassing. Endurance needs some work but with time in the AFL system that will come. Can Paul Chapman style lose his temper and be undisciplined but hopefully that energy can be harnessed over his career and put to better use.

#61 Sydney – Alex Woodward (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 179cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 11/06/1993

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Style:

Player comparison: Andrew Krakouer

Profile: Midfielder who by his standards had an average U18 champs. Big inside ball winner and a ferocious tackler. Doesn’t really stand out in that he doesn’t have a super flashy skill set or super pace. Is really composed in traffic and can create time + space with his inside smarts and agility. Could be used at the next level as more of a pressure forward who can play minor minutes in the midfield. Usually good but can fade in and out of games

#69 Brisbane – Haiden Schlothe (WA - Fwd)

Height: 179cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 16/06/1993

Recruited from: South Fremantle Football Club

Style: Mark LeCras

Player comparison:

Range: 40-undrafted

Profile: Really good user of the footy. Looks dangerous whenever he gets near it. Good reader of the play. Has that radar where he just knows exactly where the goals are. Looks incredibly draftable. Has really impressed me and stood out in the couple of games I’ve seen of him. Can play up the field but just love what I’ve seen of him as a forward!

And the small defenders

#18 North Melbourne – Brandon Ellis (VIC – Def)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/08/1993

Recruited from: Calder Cannons

Style: Heath Shaw

Player comparison:

Range: 10-35

Profile: Good user of the ball. Has a bit of a weapon of a kick down back. Provides great rebound from defence. Wins the hard ball and really attacks it. Good reader of the play. Tackles hard. Shrugs tackles with ease. Has a stocky type build but interestingly tested very well in the sprints. Has been a big performer both throughout the year for Calder Cannons as throughout the U18 champs so should be a fairly immediate player based on production this year and body type + size. Interestingly had a very good draft combine and tested incredibly well in all categories.

#46 Adelaide – Jack Charleston (VIC – Mid/Util)

Height: 177cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 09/01/1993

Recruited from: Western Jets

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile: Had a really nice season for the Western Jets though the midfield. Big ball winner. Has great footy smarts. Was probably pretty unlucky not to make the Metro squad. Really tough player with good pace. Not afraid to take on opposition players. Has grown strongly as the season has gone and is one to watch, has made the transition from back pocket to midfielder really quickly and can even go forward and have an impact.

#51 Port Adelaide- Cam Eardley (WA – Mid/Def)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/06/1993

Recruited from: East Fremantle Football Club

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile: Really hard player who really contests very hard any time he gets near the footy. Very physical and enjoys all the hard stuff. Wins plenty of his own ball. Really liked what he did down back when Lockyer got injured for WA. Held really strong down back and really has that defensive side to his game down which was encouraging.

#71 Fremantle – Alex Greenwood (VIC – Def/Mid)

Height: 178cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 24/10/1993

Recruited from: Eastern Ranges

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 40-rookie

Profile: Really nice left footer. Highly rated coming into the season. Really good clearance player and does some nice work in close. Really clean player and good decision maker.

The first in each catergory will likely be gone before our pick but it doesn't hurt to dream, especially in this draft.

• Like 1

I disagree that the excitement has been taken out. Obviously it's a far cry from our participation in recent drafts, but the 36-54 range in the past has netted us the likes of Gawn, Howe, Garland etc - there's still a good chance we'll get a good player. It'll still have the same feeling of getting shiny new presents that it always has.

• Like 2

Just wondering why WJ's and furious d's posts have Marley Williams listed at #38 AND #56 respectively (both from 'Knightmare's Draft), are these from two listed drafts or something.. ?

Anyway, I like Marley Williams' and Jordan Lockyer's descriptive write-ups.

Very much doubt that we'd create space to use pick 70.

We're already having a hard time coming with delists - using pick 70 would just mean another kid guaranteed 2 years, so we end up looking more seriously at guys like Strauss, Bail, Bartram, Spencer and Davis...

We only have so many Dunns and Bates, and even Bate seems a required player in the club's eyes right now.

Just wondering why WJ's and furious d's posts have Marley Williams listed at #38 AND #56 respectively (both from 'Knightmare's Draft), are these from two listed drafts or something.. ?

Anyway, I like Marley Williams' and Jordan Lockyer's descriptive write-ups.

Just had a look H_T, last edited 22nd oct. Nic Haynes jumped to 23 in the revision while Lockyear and Kersten dropped to 48 and 49 respectively.

I think it shows what most recruiters are rumoured to think, after the early picks you can throw a blanket over the field.

With no early picks and ,according to the experts, a fairly even spread of talent through the middle of the draft, I think we should target needs this draft.

Our biggest need is a quality crumbing forward and history shows you can get decent ones later in the draft. Second I'd be after a small defender that can take on that small crumbing forward.

Following your lead WJ here's Knightmare's thoughts on a few of them. First the small forwards

And the small defenders

The first in each catergory will likely be gone before our pick but it doesn't hurt to dream, especially in this draft.

I think we are a quality midfielder or 3 short personally, we are still speculating on Blease making it, not that i think he wont, and we get JV next year but i still think we should take best available regardless with our first pick then with 52 and 54 we can look at some more needs. A small forward is missing but i dont think that is our biggest need atm.

Finding quality Mids in the 30's and 50's isnt easy either so i can see why we may look in other areas

I think we are a quality midfielder or 3 short personally, we are still speculating on Blease making it, not that i think he wont, and we get JV next year but i still think we should take best available regardless with our first pick then with 52 and 54 we can look at some more needs. A small forward is missing but i dont think that is our biggest need atm.

Finding quality Mids in the 30's and 50's isnt easy either so i can see why we may look in other areas

The quality mids will come next year, with the quality picks

I disagree that the excitement has been taken out. Obviously it's a far cry from our participation in recent drafts, but the 36-54 range in the past has netted us the likes of Gawn, Howe, Garland etc - there's still a good chance we'll get a good player. It'll still have the same feeling of getting shiny new presents that it always has.

The excitement you seem to be referring to is the excitement of the newbies after they've been selected in the draft and there's no doubt that this can sometimes be exciting.

However, I'm looking at it from the point of view of the anticipation and the excitement in the month or so leading up to the draft and the discussions on who you might get with your first pick.

When your first pick is 36, you don't get much of a kick out of following the Herald Sun series of the 30 top draft prospects "Pick Me" because you know that the chances are that you won't get near to the better ones anyway even if one comes down to your pick. Same goes for most of the phantom drafts but you'd like to think that something good might find its way to your team's first selection.

Anyway, can't complain after getting picks 4, 1 and then 1 & 2 in consecutive drafts.

The excitement you seem to be referring to is the excitement of the newbies after they've been selected in the draft and there's no doubt that this can sometimes be exciting.

However, I'm looking at it from the point of view of the anticipation and the excitement in the month or so leading up to the draft and the discussions on who you might get with your first pick.

When your first pick is 36, you don't get much of a kick out of following the Herald Sun series of the 30 top draft prospects "Pick Me" because you know that the chances are that you won't get near to the better ones anyway even if one comes down to your pick..

Agree. If those sporty parents who conceived in 1993 had known that their sons would have to start their careers in Blacktown , they might have been a bit more careful with their use of contraceptives.

Anyway back to more serious matters. How many of these picks are we going to use? I think I'm right in saying that the 3 compulsory changes on your primary list can now include rookie promotions. If Evans or Nicholson are promoted we'd only have one spot to fill .... unless of course two or three more delistings are to come

I thought that given we had no pick until 36 the draft would hold no interest for us. I have changed my opinion with a lot of x factor players like Mansen , Hall etc around there is some real interest in who we might snare. We have done quite well with mid draft picks and hopefully the trend will continue.

Agree. If those sporty parents who conceived in 1993 had known that their sons would have to start their careers in Blacktown , they might have been a bit more careful with their use of contraceptives.

Anyway back to more serious matters. How many of these picks are we going to use? I think I'm right in saying that the 3 compulsory changes on your primary list can now include rookie promotions. If Evans or Nicholson are promoted we'd only have one spot to fill .... unless of course two or three more delistings are to come

On my calculations I believe that we still have to delist another player in order to participate in the national draft. Is this correct and, if so, who else goes?

On my calculations I believe that we still have to delist another player in order to participate in the national draft. Is this correct and, if so, who else goes?

putting wonna onto the rookie list seems logical

One of the best of the phantom drafts on bigfooty is the one from poster Snoop Dog who I rate almost as highly as Colin Wisbey who used to put together some fantastic reports on prospective draftees until he got on the payroll of one of the AFL to do the job professionally (a bit like Phil Scully but this bloke knows what he's talking about and probably gets paid a suitcase load less). Here's Snoop Dog's PHANTOM DRAFT.

I'll dispense with Round 1 for obvious reasons and, in my next post, will hop straight into Round 2 which starts at pick # 31.

SNOOP DOG'S PHANTOM DRAFT 2011 - ROUND TWO

# 31 Essendon – Alex Forster (Norwood / 189 / 81 / 93)

Seen a fair bit of this kid’s senior footy at Norwood and he is very good. Reads the play really well and was a super contributor for the senior side late in the season as they drove into finals. He reads the play well and he just seems to pick good options when he drives it back. Rarely makes a mistake by foot and I would rate him ahead of some of the other medium defenders going around but to be fair not a lot splits him from a Lockyer or a Mihocek except for some really good footy for Norwood at senior level. Could go higher than this but aren’t convinced where else they may use him as he is just such a good HB flank type.

AFL Comparison – Taller version of Chris Newman

Roughie – Jordan Lockyer or Brody Mihocek

# 32 Geelong – Jordan Lockyer ( West Perth / 191 / 85 / 93)

Gosh he reminds me of Nick Maxwell and Matty Scarlett...probably more the latter. Whilst a little undersized for a KPD he is just so footy smart and he has a good leap (6th for vertical leap at DC) and he is also pretty agile so he could go tall or small. The bit that reminds more of Maxwell is he runs straight and throws himself into a contest where he can take contested grabs or just punch the ball away. In fact his ability to take a contested grab means he could also end up playing fwd in a MacAffer type role. Beautiful kick (3rd in the DC kick assessment) as well and also like his ability to tackle be a presence. He is a bargain here.

AFL Comparison – Nick Maxwell / Matt Scarlett

Roughie – Brody Mihocek would be a defender they could mould over the years but I just thought more of a defender required. Jack Frost would be a real roughie.

# 33 Hawthorn – Nick O’Brien (North Ballarat / 189 / 89 / 93)

Just looks like a Hawthorn player for mine. Been pidgeoned as a fwd but I think he has terrific endurance and that was borne out at the DC where he had a 15+ beep. Tells me he could move to the middle and if that is the case then I can see him going a bit higher than here because he is a beautiful kick and has really good hands. Will appeal because he can certainly play as a third tall lead up type such as MacAffer but he has the endurance to run in the middle so shapes as a Pendlebury sized midfielder.

AFL Comparison – Andrew Embley

Roughie – Nick Haynes is similar

# 34 Geelong – Nick Haynes (Dandenong Stingrays / 191 / 76 / 92)

Skinny 19yo who is relatively new to footy and is a nice type. He plays wing / HF and would be a hard matchup given his height and ability to take a contested mark. Also pretty quick and agile and runs hard to create pressure and cause turnovers but the thing that always stands out for me when I see him is that is he one touch. Had a super year for the Rays and might be a bit of a Tom Lynch story. Has a terrific engine and is very quick so can see him being a really influential player for them if he can fill out that body. Other than that he is good’en.

AFL Comparison – Young Andrew Embley

Roughie – Murray Newman might be a reach here but would seem a good fit.

# 35 St Kilda – Andrew Boseley (Geelong Falcons / 194 / 90 / 92)

Over age player who I might have a bit high at this selection but he possesses an attribute that I think is much required in key defenders….closing speed…..and he is also a player who the Saints are looking to replenish I would think. Did some super jobs through the year and will surely have caught the eye of clubs looking to building their defence. He probably doesn’t get enough of the ball offensively for me but he did seem to improve that late. What you get with this kid is just someone who could go with the best fwds and whose pace and reach will make him really formidable.

AFL Comparison – Dustin Fletcher

Roughie – Marley Williams or Murray Newman

# 36 Melbourne – Elliott Yeo (East Fremantle / 188 / 82 / 93)

Been watching this kid for most of the year and I think he presents as a really good mid range pick. Has terrific height for a midfielder and whilst he doesn’t have a really big standout attribute he ticks all your boxes for a developing midfielder. Tested incredibly well and stands over 6 foot and whilst pretty light at the moment has the build to bulk up a bit. He is a really smooth mover who has time in his decision making and executes off hand and foot really efficiently. Has had a terrific year where he averaged over 20 touches, 1 goal, 3 marks and 4 tackles per game……he contributes all over the field. Kid could go a lot higher than this and would be a steal around here.

AFL Comparison – Dayne Beams

Roughie – Jack Crisp or Alex Brown

# 37 St Kilda – Marley Williams (Claremont / 181 / 85 / 93)

Again potentially a bit of a reach at this selection but I rate this kid. He oozes class and there aren’t many of those types left who have a bit of x factor and can play middle and fwd. Had a terrific championships where he highlighted his running and foot skills. Can see him playing on a wing and would think the WA clubs would be keen on him as looks good 1:1 and is a 70m type player. Finished off the season very well at Colts and Senior level. In fact in one of his Colt finals he had 20+ touches and 8 inside 50’s. Clubs like these blokes. Will take some time to develop but well worth it.

AFL Comparison – Sharrod Wellingham

Roughie – Tom Curran

# 38 Hawthorn – Shane Kersten (South Fremantle / 191 / 90 / 93)

Hmmm….I get caught every year taking KPF’s who just aren’t quite tall enough to play the role (eg Panos). But…..this kids different. He is a very smart fwd type player and whilst I think it will take time for him to develop he has such a strong body and such good body position work that I think he can overcome that. Is reasonably mobile but its his smartness as a fwd and his marking ability that are his standouts. Terrific kick but can be a bit wayward. Action is fine so not sure what the issue is. Didn’t play champs as got injured just beforehand but came back to dominate the back end of the season.

AFL Comparison – Think of Hurley when he plays FF.

Roughie – Julian Dobosz would be another key tall they could look to take time to develop.

# 39 Western Bulldogs – Josh Tynan (Gippsland Power/ 185 / 76 / 93)

Natural footballer who has had a terrific year at Gippy and then for Country at the Champs. He can play on talls and smalls so his versatililty will appeal to clubs and he also has that ability to set up pretty well by hand or foot. He is very courageous and thinks nothing of backing back into a mark. Very cool in traffic and his decision making has been elite when I have seen him. Finished off the year with some super performances and think he will be a chance to go higher than here. Could be a bit of a Heppell as well and just take off next year. Scope to play midfield as well.

AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw

Roughie – A tall around here may make sense so someone such as Kersten or Dobosz as fwds are probably in range and maybe a Boseley drops.

# 40 North Melbourne –Julian Dobosz (North Hobart / 193 / 85 / 92)

Blasted onto the junior scene with some great performances at Champs. Is an overage player who would be well worth a punt at about the point the draft thins out. Good size for a KPF and he makes up for any lack of height with good agility and ability to read the ball coming in. Lovely kick and a guy you have to still watch when ball hits the ground. Nice player and one am keen to track over the years.

AFL Comparison – John Butcher

Roughie – If Kersten was available they might prefer him

# 41 Adelaide – Sebastian Ross (North Ballarat / 187 / 82 / 93)

Really surprised he doesn’t get discussed a bit more but a terrific prospect who just loves his footy and I think he could be a steal this late in the draft. Probably best suited to a HB or wing where he can use his run and his foot skills. Works hard across the ground and is capable of winning his own ball or being a link up player. I think the importance of spread and repeat running works well in his favour because when you watch him he runs both ways and can work deep into the fwd line. Terrific size for a midfielder to and could see him being given a run in the NAB Cup for sure.

AFL Comparison – Nick Suban

Roughie – Kyal Horsley

# 42 St Kilda – Tom Curran (Oakleigh / 195 / 86 / 93)

Staggered the kid wasn’t father / son but that obviously had more to do with Hawks preferring to give up #24 for Gunston which is understandable. Really rate this kid and he is a super size for a key position player. Would have liked to have seen him at DC bc the only question I have is his agility (he has tested ok for this in the past). Certainly has the physical want to hit a contest, strong hands, lovely kick and moves well particularly up forward. For a club that is looking for a key position prospect in the middle of the draft then you would be rapt to get him. Lots of potential and will be keen to see where he lands given many good watchers had him as a plausible first round father / son for the Hawks.

AFL Comparison – Lachlan Hansen (but maybe a tad less agility)

Roughie – Nick Murphy would be another young tall who whilst he didn’t get a DC would have to appeal to a club given his performances and development potential

# 43 Swans – Brody Mihocek (Burnie / 191 / 86 / 93)

Wasn’t so sure about where he would go until I saw his effort in the GF vs Launie. Seen him play at champs but wasn’t sure where he would go. Played off a HB flank in the GF and to be fair was a good standard game in which he contributed really well. Coped well with the pressure (and there was a lot of it) and was just clean with the footy when it was in hand. Was composed and used the ball pretty well and just strikes as a bloke who is capable of playing on ball or off HB. Will need to put on weight because he must have lead in his pockets when he did the DC weigh in! Ripper prospect though.

AFL Comparison - Sam Gilbert sort of lanky and real skinny

Roughie – Alex Woodward

# 44 Carlton – Alex Woodward (Sandringham Dragons / 179 / 79 / 93)

Gee I am a fan of this kid. Have seen him a number of times and got caned for suggesting early in season this kid could Round 2 but I am going to stick with it. He is a player whose leadership and onfield commitment should really appeal to Port given the number of kids they have down there. Some of his 1% efforts are incredible and he along with Frost were significant in turning the Dragons fortunes around in the 2nd half of the TAC GF. Wonderful inside player who is quick out of the contest and seems to make really good decisions when executing from a stoppage. For me that is his stand out attribute along with the competitiveness he brings to a game. Elite stoppage player and you blokes should get ‘Diesel’ down to mentor him because he is cut from the same cloth.

AFL Comparison – Greg Williams / Andrew Swallow

Roughie –Clay Smith

# 45 Port Adelaide – Josh Waldhunter (Central Districts / 183 / 83 / 93)

Terrific player who has played Champ football the last 2 years and been a really good performer. Tough uncompromising type of player who will be ready for senior footy pretty quickly. Is a midfielder who will probably start more as a HB and has some similarities to Aidan Riley actually. Probably not a type who has heaps of x factor but he is very good at the clearances and his ball use by hand in traffic is a real feature. Also has a pretty penetrating kick as well and can kick through the lines. He is certainly a good addition. Will play seniors fairly quickly and is a nice addition to a midfield group of Boak, Hartlett and Tyson amongst others.

AFL Comparison – Luke Ball

Roughie – Jordan Murdoch or Michael Bussey

# 46 Adelaide – Jack Newness (Northern Knights / 184 / 73 / 93)

Bit of a favourite of mine and watched for a while. Hopefully I haven’t shown any bias but I think he is well worthy here and would love to see him picked up. Has been an impressive performer at both TAC and Champs this year and has shown an ability to keep on improving. I think his best footy is probably going to be a HB where he will play a bit like maybe a Guerra when he is fully developed. Whilst he has played a fair bit on the wing I think he will settle as a HB where he can use his run and carry. His work rate is terrific and he will take his chances to push fwd. Has good kick penetration and uses it very well by foot. His skills are top notch. The only knock on him is I sometimes wonder if he just hits the first option as opposed to waiting but to be fair when I have seen him do that its more coming out of stoppages.

AFL Comparison – Lindsay Gilbee

Roughie – Clay Smith

# 47 Brisbane - Michael Bussey (Eastern Ranges / 196 / 81 / 93)

Gee he reminds me of Ben Reid as a junior. Like Reid at the same stage, has his knockers due to his inconsistent form, lack of physical presence and his apparent disinterest at times but he is one who when you see him at his best you would have him a lot higher than this. Ex AIS kid who has played all over the ground and went to DC as a tall fwd. His best footy when I have watched him has been as a back where he reads the play really well and is prepared to put his body back into a contest – also has v good closing speed. Seems to be a natural reader of the game from there and that’s no different to Reid. Uses it pretty well and just presents as a kid you could play in a number of different roles. An AFL environment will round out his athletic gifts and as I mentioned he has that uncoachable quality of being able to read the game quite well. The other stuff can come with good development coaches etc.

AFL Comparison – Ben Reid

Roughie – Steve Verrier or Jack Hannath

# 48 Geelong – Clay Smith (Gippsland Power / 180 / 82 / 93)

Suspect his mother worries about his ferocious attack on the footy! Debated where to drop this kid in and frankly this feels a little late. When thinking of this kid just think Joel Selwood and Luke Ball. Very team orientated player who is perfect for the modern game in that he will play a role as contested ball winner who tackles really well. He is a huge contested possession winner and just throws himself into everthing. Keeps his feet very well and is really adept at using his hands in close to advantage. Has nice foot skills as well.

AFL Comparison – Luke Ball

Roughie – I would think a Cameron Ellis-Yolman is a really nice type and very typical of Cats draftees. Not well known to folks but has been very good.

SNOOP DOG'S PHANTOM DRAFT 2011 - ROUND THREE

# 49 Western Bulldogs – Brad Hill (West Perth / 178 / 72 / 93)

Seems to polarise people but at this stage of the draft he is well worth hitting. Personally, have had Brad pretty high all year actually. If you have seen him play he just looks the business. Has all the attributes of his brother but probably just hasn’t shown the same results. Still worth a punt for them at this selection and if their development coaches can get him together over the next 2 years they will have a player. Has all the athletic credentials you could want as evidenced at DC – is quick and can do it all day. Just needs to be taught to get more involved – particularly defensively.

AFL Comparison – Stephen Hill

Roughie – Originially had Brendan Ah Chee here and it wouldn’t surprise me if they went after him.

# 50 Collingwood – Murray Newman (Swan Districts / 179 / 67 / 93)

Massive fan of this kid and cant believe isn’t more highly rated…. I actually think this kid could be a real bolter. He is a bloody ripper and whilst he spent most of the year in the Swan District seniors he is probably 2 years off having an AFL body he will be well worth the wait. Very classy mover who can middle and fwd albeit think he will be a small fwd in his earlier years. Just never seems to lose his feet and uses it well either side and is almost cat like in his ability to move across the field. Played most of the year in the WAFL senior side after kicking 6 in his first and only Colts game. Didn’t put a foot wrong in the seniors and his last game was very good.

AFL Comparison – Actually reminds me a bit of Aker in some ways. Has that cat like ability to just stay on his feet and go from either side of the body. Also can play up and down the ground.

Roughie – I think the Pies would be keen on a tall forward and so wouldn’t surprise to see one of Gordon , Sheahan, Hammond, Orval, Brown, or Murphy here. Steve Verrier is a kid who strikes me as a ‘Hine” type.

# 51 Port Adelaide – Cameron Ellis-Yolman (Woodville WT / 191 / 88 / 93)

I think Port really need to build the quality of their classy young midfielders and Ellis-Yolman fits this bill. Started off the season super well and was then promoted to the reserves for the rest of the season. Terrific size for a midfielder and he excels at the stoppages with his clearances and burst of pace. Moves well and he would definitely be a kid that whilst he may not be ready to go Rd 1 next year he wont be far off. Would have liked to have seen him get a senior game but was pretty hard in that outfit towards the end of the year.

AFL Comparison – very similar to David Mundy or a james Kelly at same stage

Roughie – Had some Sam Kerridge here for a long time.

# 52 Melbourne - Sam Kerridge (Bendigo / 188 / 83 / 93)

Was very highly rated coming into this years draft and was one who probably didn’t quite live up to expectations through the year. IN saying that he certainly had a pretty good end to the season and was rewarded with a couple of senior games where he performed really well. Tall athletic sort of player who accumulates the footy and has a fair bit of class.

AFL Comparison – Michael Barlow

Roughie – Still think they could do with a tall fwd or defender here and there are a number of reasonably rated one left.

# 53 Hawthorn – Jackson Merrett (Geelong Falcons / 187 / 70 / 93)

Skinny midfielder who is a terrific athlete and just runs all day and provides great spread and run. Can win his own ball but probably more an outside midfielder who is quick and uses the ball really efficiently.

AFL Comparison – Quicker version of a Joel Corey style player

Roughie – Jack Crisp is someone who we should see drop around here. Ellis-Yolman would be a real Hawthorn style draftee as well.

# 54 Melbourne – Tom Sundberg (Collingwood VFL)

Neeld would be a fan of Tom Sundberg I suspect and could well think of dropping him in here to strengthen the midfield ball winners and allow a couple of blokes like Moloney and Sylvia to play more outside. Ball magnet who absolutely dominated the VFL this year and I think was named in the bests in all bar one game. Tough and aggressive type who will give you 110%. On the smaller side and probably not overly quick but if you thought of Paul Licuria but slightly quicker and a better ball user you would be on the money

AFL Comparison – Paul Licuria

Roughie – Matt Suckling is another one of similar ilk. Brayden OHara would given them genuine speed and foot skills.

# 55 Richmond – Brayden OHara (Central Districts)

Elite user of the pill and is to good for SANFL. Plays wing / HB and would walk into a side. Also significantly improve their exits from the back half I would think.

AFL Comparison – Quicker Chris Newman

Roughie – Jack Hannath as a development ruck prospect

# 56 GWS – Setanta O’Hailpin (Carlton)

I think these blokes desperately need some taller fwd types and this bloke fits the bill.

# 57 Western Bulldogs – Jack Frost (Williamstown VFL)

Was a kid I had in my mock last year and was desperately keen for Pies to select but didn’t even land a rookie spot. Went onto play for Werribee in the VFL Reserves and performed really well and then ultimately pushed up into the seniors and was sensational for them and did some really good jobs on some decent players. Will certainly have caught the eye and was as impressive as any young key back that was taken last year so is deserving. Needs to add some weight but like his younger brother Sam he is quick and agile and that are two pretty good attributes for a key back at AFL level.

AFL Comparison – Simon Prestigiacomo

Roughie – Tom Lee or Nathan Blee are others they could look to.

# 58 Fremantle – Max Duffy (East Fremantle / 186 / 82 / 93)

Ex AIS kid who is a mercurial HF type who is arguably one of the best users of the footy in the pool. Well documented he has had some issues but to his credit he has put them behind him and gone on to play some good footy this year. Has genuine talent and would think he has to go without knowing enough of how he went in interviews.

AFL Comparison – Nat Fyfe / SJ

Roughie – Thought about Kyal Horsley here but they are well stocked in the mids I suspect and may look younger given Lyon is starting out. Would this be a pick used on Waylen???

# 59 Essendon – Ross Tungatalum (NT Thunder / 175 / 77 / 90?)

Previously on the Saints as a rookie but went home. Has matured greatly since then and the Bombers are traditionally very good with the young indigenous kids. Seen a lot of him this year and has been really consistent and quality performer. Live wire small fwd who not only crumbs superbly but also runs defensively to create fwd pressure which is all important. Was very good for NT Thunder this year and when playing Foxtel Cup lifted which is a great sign. Had a super final vs Morningside as well and broke the game open for them. Dons definitely need someone like him and whilst I have gone with Tugga I would also look at Gilligan or Rose...but he is more Le Cras than crumber. Ready to play and will be a cult figure straight away.

AFL Comparison – Brad Dick

Roughie – Allroy Gilligan or Patrick Rose.

# 60 St Kilda – Kyal Horsley (Subiaco WAFL)

Coach Watters and this bloke have some pretty good history together and Horsley’s form has been outstanding this year. 24 yo and tough midfielder type who is good inside and out and would be a handy addition to their midfield – particularly given Watters has suggested there is no reason for a rebuild. Really improved his endurance over previous years and getting better all the time.

AFL Comparison – James Kelly....but not quite as good.

Roughie – Could be looking for a tall around here like Nick Murphy or Sam Gordon.

# 61 Swans - Sam Gordon (Geelong Falcons / 197 / 87 / '93)

Look a bit unsure where to place Sam in the draft simply because I think someone might end up with a bit of a bargain here (and I am probably a bit biased towards him). Few to choose from such as Sheahen, Richards, Brown etc but went with Gordon simply bc I think he has the attributes to become a power fwd of the comp and a few judges in the know rate him highly. Ex AIS kid who is a super height for a KPF but has been up and down this year. Plays APS so we havent seen much of him but he went reasonably well at the champs vs Tas and SA and was missed in their final game after injuring his ankle. Came back in last couple of weeks for Falcons and has been good. In fact he has done well in all his TAC games this year. Is reasonably good aerobically and good over the first few yards to create space and distance but he is an absolute competitor and in the vision I have seen just looks like he will become a player. What worried me a bit was he only got a SS invite which of all the players to date have missed a DC invite this one staggered me the most (almost as much as Charleston not getting a Metro gig. Anyway - stuff it. I rate him highly and a good fit for the Swans.

AFL Comparison – Chris Dawes

Roughie – There are a number of tall fwds around this mark and not much splits them. When in doubt I tend to defer to the AIS development the kids have had and Gordon has certainly had that. We didn’t see a heap of him but I would rate him higher than Richards, Hamling, Rander, Sheehan who I have around here. Also thought about O’Hanlon here. If Obrien or Murdoch were around they may look at them as well.

# 62 Carlton – Fletcher Roberts (Sandringham Dragons / 196 / 84 / 93)

Draft Combine invitee who had been solid all year but shone to prominence with his game changing effort in the GF where he kicked 5 goals on both Curran and Tomlinson from memory. Thing that stands out for me is that he uses his body really well and his contested marking is really first class. Whereas as a guy like Chris Dawes really struggles over head this guy’s contested marking is terrific and one out should be a hard matchup. Nice kick for a big kid as well. Will also provide an option in the ruck but will need to fill out a bit more.

AFL Comparison – Kurt Tippett

Roughie – Nick Murphy as a fwd and thought about Schade here but not a type that Blues probably need.

# 63 West Coast Eagles – Jack Crisp (Murray Bushrangers / 189 / 81 / 93)

Good young footballer who appeals as a really nice type for mid to late selection. Has terrific size and athletic credentials strikes me as a player who could potentially play a few different roles but probably best suited to a wing. Knows how to position himself and accumulates a fair bit of it. Is quick and will run offensively and defensively. Would be a difficult match up and can certainly hurt on the scoreboard. I think he was one of the highest tacklers in the TAC comp so got a penchant for the 1% ‘ers as well. Not dissimilar to Haynes in many ways and shows the evenness of the draft.

AFL Comparison – Maybe a young Andrew Embley....struggled a bit with him

Roughie – Dont think they will even take this pick. Could do with some more depth in the crumbing small fwds but more likely to hit a Gilligan etc in the rookie and see how he goes.

# 64 Adelaide – Lewis Hender (Glenelg / 189 / 83 / 93)

Local boy who burst onto scene last year as a bottom ager and really showed some signs at the Champs. Has been a good performer this year and made his senior debut after some really impressive performances at reserves and Maccas Cup level. Had a couple of very good games and one in particular where he bagged 3 goals and which I saw some vision of. Kid has genuine tricks and not sure why I have him as late as I do to be perfectly honest. Doesn’t lack for skills and seems to have time and space when in traffic. More a lead up fwd type and there are a few of them in this draft.

AFL Comparison – MacAffer

Roughie – Matt Jacquier would be a similar type who could drop here. Jack Hannath as well.

# 65 Collingwood – Nick Murphy (Oakleigh / 194 / 87 / 93)

Not sure exactly where Nick Murphy goes because without knowing which screening he went to I would have thought he was pretty high (ie I expected him at DC). The fact he only went State makes me think I am over rating him and hence why I have dropped him back. Very mobile key position player who was well performed last year and who kicked a bag of goals this year including 5 in the GF. Very mobile forward who probably relies more on this than his ability to take contested marks. Is a beautiful kick and with his basketball background there is a lot to work with. Would probably like to see a touch more aggression in his game.

AFL Comparison – Jarrad Waite

Roughie – Love Sam Gordon to drop to here. Jordan Murdouch is one I think may drop and who would appeal if they didn’t rate any more talls. Jackson Merrett another.

# 66 Geelong – Ben Brown (Glenorchy / 198 / 89 / 92)

Notwithstanding there are a heap of talls on the Cats list I think another tall fwd prospect to partner Brown and Hawkinis down the track is sensible. Been tracking him for 2 years and whilst he has been injury riddled he seems to have gotten the body right and his best has been really good. Big boy who looks a natural fwd / ruck prospect much like Kurt Tippett did at the same stage. Got a great leap and his palming is first class. Can take a strong mark and his kicking is terrific for a big boy. Most pleasing thing about him is he aint averse to the 2nd efforts.

AFL Comparison – Kurt Tippett

Roughie – Jake Hammond might be a terrific fit for the Cats.

And FWIW, although I don't think Melbourne will take a fourth selection in the draft, here's Snoop Dog's fourth round phantom pick for us:-

# 72 Melbourne – Alex Brown (Oakleigh / 191 / 80 / 93)

Just gone with best available here and is a really nice type. Taller back flank player who had a good TAC year and showed some form through the Champs as well. Is really quick and in fact is similar to Johnson and Browne who went in last years pool. Has genuine pace and one of those types who will be difficult to match up if they can develop an offensive element to his game. He will start as a defender though and has all the attributes to play on talls or smalls or even be a spare man across HB as he tends to read the play pretty well. Foot skills are good and could see him going higher than this as these types are highly rated by AFL clubs.

AFL Comparison –Tyson Goldsack / Alex Johnson

Roughie – Probably would like a tall somewhere and a mature age one would be worth looking at given Warnock is gone and they will look to have some depth here.