Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The New Sponsors

beelzebub

I do a lot of business in China and hope it's not China Southern. Not a great brand.

They would be my 5th choice when flying in China behind China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines and Air China.

They are maginally better than Qantas because of the fact that there flight attendants arses actually fit down the aisles.

check mate means you attack the MFC CEO with no idea whats going on. You say he had nothing to do with energy watch when clearly you had no idea. 6million for the BOJ is not bad is it? And i would think if we had nothing on the go for the FOJ carro wilson would be all over it. Cam would be working as hard as he can to get the best for our club.

You also said something along the lines of "maybe the MFC already have a major sponsor". 'Maybe' being the key word that suggests you have no idea of what's going on either. Nobody does, and that is the problem.

Don't misquote me, and learn how to play chess.

I think im playing well thomo. Some think its easy what cam has done and that he had no hand in energy watch thats just silly thats all im saying have some faith you will see.6 million + FOJ = a MFC sponsor record under camerons watch.

I do a lot of business in China and hope it's not China Southern. Not a great brand.

They would be my 5th choice when flying in China behind China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines and Air China.

They are maginally better than Qantas because of the fact that there flight attendants arses actually fit down the aisles.

I don't care if we are sponsored by the reject shop JUST GIVE US THE CASH!!

• Like 1

I don't care if we are sponsored by the reject shop JUST GIVE US THE CASH!!

I also do a lot of business in China and Southern Air would certainly not be my first choice of carrier, but as Cowboy says, if they want to part with the funds, then I am happy to take them.

Business Management 101 I reckon

I also do a lot of business in China and Southern Air would certainly not be my first choice of carrier, but as Cowboy says, if they want to part with the funds, then I am happy to take them.

Business Management 101 I reckon

I think in your business management 101 course that you obviously failed, you overlooked the subject concerning branding. Along the lines of if you lay with dogs you'll get fleas.

We are hardly desperate enough to take a deal from just anyone because they have the money. We need to have a brand worthy of it's place along side the MFC.

I think in your business management 101 course that you obviously failed, you overlooked the subject concerning branding. Along the lines of if you lay with dogs you'll get fleas.

We are hardly desperate enough to take a deal from just anyone because they have the money. We need to have a brand worthy of it's place along side the MFC.

Everyone has different opinions about sponsor's products but from an MFC POV, as long as this airline (if the rumours are true btw) is in business making a profit, I couldn't give two hoots if they're somebody's 4th, 5th or even millionth preferred travel option.

If we had "Johny's Knockshop" as a major sponsor then I would understand we have "branding" issues but it's an airline FCS.

I'm seriously hoping this one is true. There are so many marketing opportunities to be had. Articles in their in flight magazine for tourist from China who might want to take in an AFL game when visiting Melbourne perhaps?

Edited by Harcourt

I have travelled to China a couple of times in the past 6 months and both times with China Southern... sure they don't have all of the bells and whistles such as screen in every seat etc, but they are a budget carrier that I find very friendly and one that pays a lot of attention to their passengers. I for one would be extremely happy for them to be our major sponsor... they are obviously making a play for a top position in their business, just as the Dees are doing in theirs.

Out of interest, where does energy watch fit in?

• Like 1

To a potential suitor like China Southern or any chinese airline, Australia would be a new market where they are honing in on a clientel with no idea about their brand wrt other chinese airlines what so ever. China Southern, being a 4 star and the worlds sixth largest airline would be competing with Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, Thai etc... in the minds of the Australian consumer. Australian's wouldn't give a toss if they serve better dim sims on Hainan. In fact the China Southern brand in airline circles is huge.

Sponsorship negotiations are not as easy as some here appear to believe. Perhaps we could already have signed a sponsor but for a significantly lower amount than our valuation of the front of jumper slot. The reality is that the majority of the 'value' for the sponsor comes in season once games have begun. Exposure on free to air and foxtel and in newspapers in footy season. Team photos can be reshot or photoshopped, jumpers will arrive etc. Better to get the deal right rather than panic and sign a bad deal.

They would be Australia's number 1 & largest energy broker. A far cry from some hack airline from China flying aircraft that should be in moth balls

When looking at Chinese companies you should first look at Japanese and Korean companies

Both Japanese and Korean companies showed they were on a fast rising quality path

Does anyone remember the early Hondas and early Hyundai and Kias?

Chinese companies are on similar fast track cycles. Todays 4-star chinese companies are tomorrows 5-star companies

A bit like the MFC....eh? There's a nice synergy there. Oh, and the money's good too

• Like 1

They would be Australia's number 1 & largest energy broker. A far cry from some hack airline from China flying aircraft that should be in moth balls

For a fleet of over 400 aircraft it isn't that bad. No 727s, 747s or 767s. Predominantly A320s, A330s, 777s, 737 next gens and they are now bringing in the A380s. Hardly moth balls.

Interesting as i have just read up on China Southern over the last hour.....It is also the fourth-largest airline in the world in domestic passenger traffic and the sixth-largest in scheduled domestic passenger-kilometres flown

In 2010, China Southern Airlines carried 76.5 million domestic and international passengers with an average load factor of 79.2%. The airline reported a net profit of CNY5.8 billion ($883 million) in 2010

In June 2006, China Southern Airlines confirmed another order of 3 Boeing 737-700s and 7 Boeing 737-800s. The deliveries would continue through 2010. On 18 October 2006, China Southern Airlines placed an order for 6 Boeing 777 freighters, striding forward a brand new step in its cargo development. The aircraft would be delivered from November 2008 to July 2010.

On 20 August 2007, China Southern Airlines announced its intention for an order of 25 Boeing 737-700s and 30 Boeing 737-800s, which will be delivered from May 2011 to October 2013] It was a mere two months before, on 23 October 2007, China Southern Airlines announced that it had placed an order for 10 additional Airbus A330-200s. The order has a listed price of US$1.677 billion and the aircraft will be delivered from March 2010 to August 2012]

On 21 January 2010, China Southern announced an order for an additional 20 A320-200s scheduled for delivery from 2011 – 2013 due to the falling fuel costs and surging passenger demand.

In March, the Chinese carrier issued new shares in Hong Kong and Shanghai 2010 to raise 10.75 billion yuan[29] ($1.57 billion) in a bid to pay off outstanding loans. In December, CNY810 million ($121.5 million) was injected by China Southern Airlines into its subsidiary Xiamen Airlines to fund its fleet expansion]

In November 2010, China Southern Airlines signed an agreement with Airbus for the purchase of six A330s and 30 A320s–200. The specific variant of A330 is not identified]

On 11 January 2011, China Southern announced a lease for 10 Embraer E-190 to be delivered from the second half of 2011.

On 27 January 2011, China Southern was awarded the four star ranking by Skytrax. It is currently the largest 4 star airline to hold this title]

On 15 June 2011 China Southern made its inaugural flight to Vancouver, Canada opening up a new passenger and trade routes including China Southern Cargo's first flight on on 5 July 2011.

On 17 October 2011, China Southern made its first flight with the Airbus A380.

Destinations

Main article: China Southern Airlines destinations

China Southern Airlines flies to 169 countries worldwide, including code-share destinations. It maintains a strong presence in the domestic market, with its main hubs being Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport and Beijing Capital International Airport, along with other focus cities in Changchun, Changsha, Dalian, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Ürümqi, Wuhan and Zhengzhou. The airline plans to develop Chongqing and Ürümqi as hubs as well to exploit the domestic market potential.

The airline provides services to 65 international destinations. Most of the international flights link between Guangzhou and world cities. There are also plenty of international flights operated through Beijing, Urumqi (notably to Central Asia) and Dalian (to Japan, South Korea, and Russia). China Southern Airlines has developed an extensive network to Southeast Asia and also has become the Chinese airline with the largest presence in Australia. Alliance

On 28 August 2004, China Southern Airlines signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the airline alliance SkyTeam. On 15 November 2007, the airline was officially welcomed as the 11th member of SkyTeam, becoming the first mainland Chinese airline to join the global airline alliance,[36] expanding the alliance's presence on mainland China.

Fairly Good Sponsor to get on board with at first look....this could be huge for the MFC

Makes Emirates look like a hobby . Now why did we waste our time in China again?

• Like 1

Fairly Good Sponsor to get on board with at first look....this could be huge for the MFC

Massive actually. I really hope this rumour comes to fruition.

Apparently there was a period there where Emirates gave filth members discounts on certain flights - not sure if they still do it though and I don't know the details but I read it somewhere. A similar setup with MFC and an airline would be great at getting new members on board.

Edited by 1858