• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ben Cousins shows up at Junction Oval

gOLLy

Ben or No Ben  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So your suggestion is to bring in another trouble-maker who also happens to be a proven drug-addict to the club? :blink:

You can watch Cousins like a hawk, but at the end of the day he still comes with a reputation that is going to taint our club's image.

My point is, that with so much scrutiny he is less likely to do anything than just about anyone else.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Cousins has a lot at stake if he does make a return.

If he screws up again, then he's a loser for the rest of his life.

If he holds steady, plays decent football for even one year, and doesn't go off the rails and onto the lines, then he's Ben Cousins the AFL star who was laid low by drugs but put his life back together and finished a winner.

And for Melbourne?

Worst case for us, we give a guy a chance, at a pretty low salary, he doesn't pull through, we ditch him and that's the end of it. We can't be accused of failing in a duty of care, or creating a problem, and by dropping him we assert our determination to be drug free.

If the story goes well for Cousins, it goes even better for Melbourne, the club with the cheap as chips player who makes a good contribution, and we'll be known as the club where Ben Cousins turned his life around.

Keep the fanfare to a minimum, play down his value, play down the tabloid hype as much as possible.

Can't go wrong - let's face it, which young AFL player is gonna join in on the drugs with someone who the whole world is watching and who is a frickin case study in "drugs are bad, nh'kay".

I'd support a low-profile drafting of Ben Cousins.

I really doubt that Robbie. I reckon the correlation between how many members sign up and what players are on the list is almost zip. I certainly don't know anyone who would base their decision of buying a membership (for any club) on the presense of one player. Certainly not 2,000+ worth.

Getting people through the gates is another matter, but I highly doubt that would be in any way a contributing factor to us getting him anyway.

I disagree, Judd at Carlton has probably boosted their figures by a minimum 5k, I'm not saying that Cousins would have a similar effect though.

My point is, that with so much scrutiny he is less likely to do anything than just about anyone else.

He was under full scrutiny in a two team town like Perth and repeatedly stuffed up.

I dont think there is any evidence or basis to suggest that he is less likely to do anything.

Gets back to question of whether he is clean and whether he could relapse.

Why does everyone assume Cousins would be bad for club culture?'

He had an addiction, an illness if you like.

I hardly think that he was out there peddling drugs to his younger teammates in nightclubs.

Perhaps the existing culture of West Coast led to the downfall of Cousins, rather than vice versa.

I think if Cousins can prove he has recovered to the extent that he has his life under control, he is worth a punt.

IMO if you have a lackluster side you get the equivalent support if you have players that will excite the supporters they will join and come along; we have no one in our side at the moment that would prompt anyone to buy a membership.

Our President Paul Gardner has a well known aversion to drugs in sport, this view probably extends to all illegal drug use in society.

Would Ben fit well with the public image of our club as drug free? Most likely not, we could be seen as hypocritical.

Alternatively, it could be used as an example of redemption.

So what would Ben cost us? A bit of adverse publicity? He would be on a base contract surely, so would cost almost nothing. The upside could be a postive story of recovery from addiction and a handy impact player for one or two seasons.

The interest generated by Ben as a marquee player, and the on field benefits if he does scrub up to AFL level after a long layoff could be tremendous.

Glad I don't have to make the call, :unsure:, but I would defintely consider him for a pre-season run.

Frankly, I'm about winning games of footy and hopefully a premiership before I die. I expect to be around for the next 40-45 years, but it's far from a given that I'll see one, in fact I expect I won't. It's 20 years since the 88 Grand Final and it seems like yesterday and with 18 teams it will only get harder.

Cousins is a gamble, but with clear minds and strong leadership he's certainly worth the gamble. I completely understand the views of Rhino, etc, and can't find too much fault with this view, but I'd take him if all boxes were ticked - knowing it's a risk. After 44 years there aint much to lose.

And what happens H if the 'crap culture' that we had and have is perpetuated and worsened by cousins?

Are we inviting another TJ who is more likely to bend impressionable minds but also plays better?

I see an enormous risk with very few upsides. We are not a premiership side, we do not have the cattle, and by the time we do Ben will have retired. What does he get us but disaster and a false inflation of the list?

Or are we ready for a flag and just need a champion player?

And what happens H if the 'crap culture' that we had and have is perpetuated and worsened by cousins?

Are we inviting another TJ who is more likely to bend impressionable minds but also plays better?

I see an enormous risk with very few upsides. We are not a premiership side, we do not have the cattle, and by the time we do Ben will have retired. What does he get us but disaster and a false inflation of the list?

Or are we ready for a flag and just need a champion player?

I'm not suggesting that there's any link with the MFC just cos he was doing some run throughs at the Junction Oval, I'm just giving consideration to the vexed question of recruiting Cousins.

I don't believe we'd be a flag threat even if he were to join Melbourne.

I think he'd benefit the culture of the club in terms of work effort, training, professionalism, winning at all cost mentality, etc. If given a second 'crack' at AFL I doubt he'd be popping eckies behind the shed. I also expect the new leadership skills being invested in the club through Leading Teams and a new coaching dept would ensure quality discussion regarding Ben and the challenges he faces and any club joins. I do concede that some clubs would handle his presence far better due to more seasoned leadership.

Cousins may not be around for a flag, but he may be able to influence those that may.

Could one player who's trying to reshape his life be such a disaster at AFL clubs when those clubs are fully aware of the recent history of the Eagles and the player in question ? I doubt it. I can't see the grim picture you paint. But you may be right. I have a pretty straight forward view of most things and you may have greater experience in this area to detect the impending doom. To be honest, I'm not really fussed. It's just an interesting proposition and I tend to lean to the feel good outcomes and too much would be at stake for all parties for it to go pear shaped. But I may very well be wrong.

Drugs are in every AFL club. I expect the MFC to be able to handle a high profile recruit trying to beat an addiction. If his presence could be such a disaster for impressionable players given all that's publicly happened to him and the Eagles then our club has a terribly long journey in its quest to once again become relevant in this competition.

I can't believe this thread has 2 pages.

Cousins was @ the Junction Oval because it's a random ground, not "Melbourne's ground".

It`s all quite laughable really!

I saw Tommy Hafey at the Melbourne Storm last night. Could he be the next Coach when Craig Bellamy goes to Brisbane??? HHMMM

For what it`s worth.

IN B.Cousins

OUT P.Gardner

I can't believe this thread has 2 pages.

Cousins was @ the Junction Oval because it's a random ground, not "Melbourne's ground".

You seriously believe that. Pffft. Why not go down to Melton West then and do some run throughs there. tats a random ground aswell.

Ben may be clean as a whistle.

But my mail is his mates are still the same as earlier.

I believe Micheal Gardiner who is now at the Saints has cut his ties better than Ben.

I dont believe Melbourne is as fit as the Eagles or the Dogs and we would benefit from Bennys FOOTBALL experience and hard work on the track.

But I also believe our club would benefit more from Wayne Carey as Assistant coach than say, Paul Williams who I cant see as a benefit at all.

If you are going to change the culture to be more serious about Football, then you may have to take some hits in other areas.

But if you are a grownup and a professional footballer then there should be minimal risk.

Im not interested in being the most moral and ethical club. Thats Private School Old Boys Ammos.

The game's 10% faster and Benny's been out too long already...lots of pretty muscles [he must think so - he never wears a shirt] is no substitute to a solid pre-season and match fitness.

Even if I'm wrong, we draft him and he plays well, so maybe next year we win 8 games next year instead of 6...so what ! We need to rebuild with the goal of a premiership.

Drafting Bennie would be a quick thrill but high-risk gamble with potentially disasterous consequences.

It would be akin to riding bareback in a Thai brothel.

Frankly, I'm about winning games of footy and hopefully a premiership before I die. I expect to be around for the next 40-45 years, but it's far from a given that I'll see one, in fact I expect I won't. It's 20 years since the 88 Grand Final and it seems like yesterday and with 18 teams it will only get harder.

Cousins is a gamble, but with clear minds and strong leadership he's certainly worth the gamble. I completely understand the views of Rhino, etc, and can't find too much fault with this view, but I'd take him if all boxes were ticked - knowing it's a risk. After 44 years there aint much to lose.

Absolutely agree.

Remember, Cousins admitted to taking drugs.

For all you know the entire Melbourne list could be pill poppers and are all on 2 strikes.

Having heaps of mates that hit the town on Friday and Saturday nights (as well as myself), I see/hear about heaps of AFL players that are . . . well a little worse for wear :lol:

Remember, Cousins admitted to taking drugs.

For all you know the entire Melbourne list could be pill poppers and are all on 2 strikes.

Having heaps of mates that hit the town on Friday and Saturday nights (as well as myself), I see/hear about heaps of AFL players that are . . . well a little worse for wear :lol:

true, but i would think most are disco bikkies rather than ice.