Travis to Brisbane

dazzledavey36

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A top 15 pick for a 28 yr old with 3 years left (approx) is a good deal.

Considering his laziness and lack of fitness, I think next year is his last chance to really do anything on the footy field

So I say he has 1 year left

In 2009 he will be 29... can you see him doing anything useful on the footy field at that age? He will fall away very quickly like Adem Yze has

Pick 14 is a great result

How can cameron wood be worth pick 14 and reece shaw and johnstone only be worth pick 14! Please Explain.

You won't understand this BA but in every deal there is the asset (the player) and the time you'll have them. Those two things set the price. Wood is young and Collingwood think he will play for 8 years +. Travis is old in a footy sense and Brisbane probably think they will have him for 3 or 4 years.

Nobody is denying TJ can play. That is why we are getting pick 14. It's a matter of how long he can play for. Remember, Akermanis was traded for pick 34 last year.

Pick 14 is a very good result.

Still wish for Jolly over Dunn?

Still wish for Woey over Bell?

You're a good man Powelly, but seriously, is TJ not more talented than ONE b+f and only a couple of top 10 finishes?

This deal is an absolute steal.

I hope you're right Hards! And yes I can see the upside of the trade, no worries there.

I just have vivid memories of round 19 - Melbourne V Western Bulldogs at the Dome this year. We'd played like crap for 4 weeks and got belted by the Lions, Roos, Port and Sydney...the worst 4 weeks in years, our midfield a shambles. TJ missed all those games. Then all of a sudden he returns for the Dogs game and automatically makes a massive difference with a bit of silk and class through the midfield. Sure he didn't get 30 touches, but made sure he used every one of them to prefection.

I'm concerned now that we don't have any polished outside midfielders if TJ goes.

Best case scenario IMO is that the deal falls at the last hurdle, TJ gets a good kick up the backside and has a solid and injury free 2008 and contributes valuably to many more wins than 2007.

I don't subscribe to the theory of "good luck to him if he plays well at the Lions". I want him contributing at Melbourne not Brisbane.

I'm concerned now that we don't have any polished outside midfielders if TJ goes.

The emergence of Sylvia in 2008 will make us all forget abput Travis very quickly

Petterd will also shine

Bartram will return

In the end, Travis wont be missed

A few years ago against Adelaide he kicked 4 in one of the great finals. And when he is on there is no better sight in the Dees jumper. So that is a big lose regardless of if he is terrible around the club.

That was 5 years ago for christs sake. How often has he repeated it since?

Brisbane is not getting pick 14, god this is frustrating. 3 way deals are complicated so you should only look at what clubs give and get at the end.

GIVE

Melbourne Johnstone

Collingwood Pick 14, Shaw

Brisbane Wood

GET

Melbourne Pick 14

Collingwood Wood

Brisbane Johnstone, Shaw

It is very fair. Maybe you think Brisbane is getting too much, but TJ has got 3 yrs left and Shaw 4/5. Wood has ten years left and is extremely talented. A top 15 pick for lazy 27 yr old with 3 yrs left is a good deal.

Do you realise that 8-10 years after TJ has retired the bloke we pick up at 14 will still be playing. Were not being dudded, "like we always do". Pathetic, lowly Melbourne supporters whingeing at the sun. Grow up.

Do you realise that 8-10 years after TJ has retired the bloke we pick up at 14 will still be playing. Were not being dudded, "like we always do". Pathetic, lowly Melbourne supporters whingeing at the sun. Grow up.

Yes shame on Melbourne supporters sticking up for the player that they love, what is this a passionate club or something? No lets all sit back and just watch good idea!

=

They complain about Danihers coaching and him playing the same players over and over (ie. Ward Godfrey, Brown etc..)

Then when Dean Bailey gets appointed coach they ask for a cleanout of players so the club can have a fresh start

Now, Bailey is cleaning the joint out and they are crying like babies

No wonder MFC supporters are never taken seriously

I am not impressed with pick 14 for TJ and if the choice was up to me I wouldn't do it. But I quite like Sherman as a player and I think we should push for pick 14 and Sherman OR pick 8.

Pick 14 IMO is not enough. TJ is not only a very talented player himself, but he also takes a lot of attention (taggers) away from other players allowing them more freedom.

...or pick 14 + pick 25 (lions 2nd rnd pick)

they are swapping 25 and 31, it is a nothing sweetener.

TJ for 14 is fair, it's about what we got for WW 2 years after he won the Brownlow.

And I love TJ too, but sometimes we love things that are not good for us.

Time to let go.

I can sympathise with the supporters who really love TJ and don't want to see him go. I would be reacting the same way had we traded Robbo.

The thing is, Travis is 27. We've waited 10 years to see him become the player we know he can be, and he hasn't done it. The longer we hold onto him and hope that he makes something of himself, the more his value will decline.

I enjoy watching TJ as much as any of you, but what I enjoy even more is seeing players committed to every contest and every ball. I don't want to see a player standing around pointing and yelling at his teammates to man-up because said player won't.

I have no doubt TJ will perform for Brisbane, but in 3 years time he'll probably retire, while we could very well be seeing the start of a wonderful career by pick 14.

This is a bad time of year if your favourite player is on the chopping block, but you have to keep remembering that you barrack for the Melbourne Football Club, not for the individual players. Do you love this club any less because Judd didn't choose us? Will you love this club less when Neita retires?

P.S.- Why is TJ earning $400,000 a year? That is a ridiculously high amount for someone who has achieved so little! :o

Hey everyone, knew to the game, but my heart beats true for the red and the blue and i love the Dee's and all i want to do is see them become a power club. TJ has had 10 years, thats good service, frustrating and lazy, brilliant and sublime, but the truth of the matter is, he does not win us games, he is not a game breaker... If he goes then i will be sad to see him go, hell i am sad to see any demon go, he is guaranteed to have 2 top games next year for sure, but pick 14 is a positive. Jeff farmer, woey, Jolly, it happens, its the nature of the beast...

They complain about Danihers coaching and him playing the same players over and over (ie. Ward Godfrey, Brown etc..)

Then when Dean Bailey gets appointed coach they ask for a cleanout of players so the club can have a fresh start

This is my favourite post of yours. You have hit the nail right on the head.

Everybody wanted a new Coach. We have one. He is making changes like we all wanted. There is no right and wrong answer on trading TJ as he may play well for a year or two. The simple fact is that an assessment must be made on the value of a player to a club both in talent and application as well as lifespan in the game compared to cost. That assessment has been made and the decision was to trade TJ. Lets live with it and not second guess every decision made by those paid to do it. If Bailey is unsuccessful he will move on. Personally TJ has failed in my eyes to deliver what was expected but nevertheless he turns 28 soon and pick 14 may land us the Full Back we need for the next 10-12 years. I know what I would rather have.

PS. TJ was due for a new contract next year and if we didn't agree he could go in the PSD for nothing, another factor that had to be assessed.

In my humble view Leigh Matthews is the best coach in the AFL and one of the best of all time. Mark my words! Barring injuries TJ will have a ripper year next year and we will be left wondering why the hell he didn't do it at the MFC! This trade is a BIG mistake!

It's not about that though - Bailey may have got the best out of him as well. But if TJ had his best year next year (and that is a big if) and we finished 5th on the ladder then what has that achieved? It's about getting a collective group (i.e. the team) to peak at the same time to win a premiership.

They obviously don't believe (and neither do I) that our list was realistically going to peak while TJ was at his best, so they traded him to a team who was potentially at a different stage while he had enough value so we could get a potential gun player of him. The player we draft with the resulting pick will hopefully then be at their best when the team as a whole is realistically gunning for the flag.

List management is a tough gig and you have to make some really tough decisions to win premierships.

GO DEMONS!

I can sympathise with the supporters who really love TJ and don't want to see him go. I would be reacting the same way had we traded Robbo.

The thing is, Travis is 27. We've waited 10 years to see him become the player we know he can be, and he hasn't done it. The longer we hold onto him and hope that he makes something of himself, the more his value will decline.

I enjoy watching TJ as much as any of you, but what I enjoy even more is seeing players committed to every contest and every ball. I don't want to see a player standing around pointing and yelling at his teammates to man-up because said player won't.

I have no doubt TJ will perform for Brisbane, but in 3 years time he'll probably retire, while we could very well be seeing the start of a wonderful career by pick 14.

This is a bad time of year if your favourite player is on the chopping block, but you have to keep remembering that you barrack for the Melbourne Football Club, not for the individual players. Do you love this club any less because Judd didn't choose us? Will you love this club less when Neita retires?

P.S.- Why is TJ earning $400,000 a year? That is a ridiculously high amount for someone who has achieved so little! :o

Well said Jaded. I think MFC supporters should look at the big picture here. CAC was quoted as saying that we dont use our players as bait yet TJ's name is out there. There is an obvious reason for this. Yes he is talented and highly skilled but when you hear the recruiters speak about new players they keep coming back to character. If we read between the lines the reason for releasing TJ is obvious.AS for his contract a lot of players payments are back ended meaning he may be earning that in his final year but average out to 250k over 3. So we trade TJ pay 150 of his final year and we save 250k and get in a talented kid with the right make up. Makes sense to me.

The savings can be used in developing our new crop or might give us the extra 50k to lure an uncontracted player in the PSD.

If we can come out of this week with picks 4,14,and 21 with a developing young ruckman (who was pick 8 in 04) i say "happy days".

Hey everyone, knew to the game, but my heart beats true for the red and the blue and i love the Dee's and all i want to do is see them become a power club. TJ has had 10 years, thats good service, frustrating and lazy, brilliant and sublime, but the truth of the matter is, he does not win us games, he is not a game breaker... If he goes then i will be sad to see him go, hell i am sad to see any demon go, he is guaranteed to have 2 top games next year for sure, but pick 14 is a positive. Jeff farmer, woey, Jolly, it happens, its the nature of the beast...

I would agree that it does happen and we need to now look past it, but I would say that Simmons was a good player let go, but Jolly has not really amounted to much or been one that has been a bad trade. When Sydney realised he wasn't a No 1 Ruckman they traded for Everitt. Jolly will only ever be a backup ruckman, but Simmons is all class and will do very well for Richmond next year when fit again.

Here Here.

Come on! As much as you want MFC to win a flag in the next two years, it's not likely to happen.

We're far more likely to have a tilt at the flag when the McLean, Bate et al. era is in their prime, so lets invest in that era.

Top-15 pick for TJ? Good for us. Forget about his potential, or his draft number 10 years ago.

Hopefully it's also a win for TJ - a change of scenery and all that jazz - and Brisbane. I think he's a guy who, if not the #1 midfielder (and thus wearing a heavy tag), could add some cream to a decent midfield.

For the record I never wanted a new coach nor a clean out. I just dont see the justification in waving TJ bye bye for a sub standard 10 years when the club overall has had been nothing short of below average in 10 years. Where has the club been in 10 years? One grand final to get smashed? Getting rid of him will change nothing, another youngster wont make the difference between a premiership and finishing 3rd bottom. And since when did the AFL turn into Hollywood? Too much obsession with youth when its the oldies who know their [censored] and pull the crowds

Scott Selwood, a selwood brings luck

joel and adam premiership already

scott is said to be the worst of the lot. No thanks