Chris Connolly - the petition against

Demonator

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is that I think Chris Connolly handled himslef very well on the Footy Show tonight and he projected a completely different image of himself than when he was coach at the Dockers. I think that when he had the job he was trying too hard to behave like Kevin Sheedy of the West but the real person came out tonight in the interview and he was pretty good IMO.

That said, I agree with the others who say he has a role at the club in management etc. but not as the head coach and I say that not for any reasons related to his own personality or ability or even his record as coach of Fremantle.

I think the MFC needs a total outsider who can come into the club and take some very tough decisions about changes not only in the playing group but (and I hate using this word) also to the "culture" of the club. That's no slight on anyone who is at the club now or has been there before but I think that we need a major overhaul to turn things around and Connolly isn't going to provide that.

I think that Connolly would make a very good coach at the MFC. Connolly has done his apprenticeship with Fremantle, he has made a number of mistakes but he would have learnt from those mistakes and that will make him a far better coach second time around. I would much prefer someone with some experience rather than offering another apprentice to a up coming coach who will make those mistakes with us.

Further Connolly is exceptionally good with the media. He draws the media in and creates vibe. This is something that would be very useful for a club like Melbourne which has small supporter base and struggles to be heard in a city of 6 teams.

Connolly is my first choice unless Malthouse or Mathews come available and the chances of this are zero.

I know many of you will disagree with me as he has not got the best out of his list this year but I believe if you look harder at his performance over his seven years as coach and consider the experience he has had in Fremantle and combined with his media flare, he would make an excellent Melbourne coach.

Further Connolly is exceptionally good with the media. He draws the media in and creates vibe. This is something that would be very useful for a club like Melbourne which has small supporter base and struggles to be heard in a city of 6 teams.

I know a better way of getting people to sign up as members / go to the games.

By playing good football.

I couldn't care less if the new coach (whoever it may be) is an absolute hack with the media, so longs as they are a able to coach well.

Rang the club and spoke to PG and SH about CC and advised him that out of 27,000 so members that on the 2 other Melbourne websites, which have about (correct me if I am wrong, combined of about 200 - 300 members, sorry if I am wrong) that they do not want CC and are putting together a petition to pesent to the club that he not coach the club.

PG assured me that with those numbers out of our total membership signing the petition he will personally look into it and intervene for CC not to be given the job.

I'll take Connolly over Voss, but otherwise, HELL NO!!!

No to Connolly for me as well.

Sure he's a great bloke, but with the team he had, they should've been top 4. The same with us, injuries aside, hence why Daniher went.

Daniher and Connolly are mirror images of each other. Both underperformed with their lists, great personalities, great relationship with the players, picked favourites instead those who deserved a go, etc.............

As the cliche goes, nice guys finish last!!!

Signed,

Haydo.

Too soft a bloke, end of story.

We need a tough hard nosed disciplinarian that the players can look up to and respect, not the Marshmellow Man.

I will not continue to support this club or board if CC ia appointed coach.

I agree that he could however be a good football manager for our club a la Balme.

Signed,

Haydo.

Too soft a bloke, end of story.

We need a tough hard nosed disciplinarian that the players can look up to and respect, not the Marshmellow Man.

I will not continue to support this club or board if CC ia appointed coach.

I agree that he could however be a good football manager for our club a la Balme.

Whoever we pick will be a risk - If it's an untried rookie coach or somebody with more experience. Some options however are less risky than others. Guys like Connooly have their flaws well known. We also have seen their strengths. We have no idea how a Voss or McKenna might operate under the heat. We know that Connolly has won more than 50% of games coached, but so has Gary Ayres! I wonder about the support for Malthouse - his record at Collingwood over 8 years really isn't that great - less than 50% which is a disgrace given the financial and human resources and soft draws they get. If we can't get Sheedy, then I'd ask Mark Harvey if he's interested in returning to Victoria, or maybe a guy like Garry O'Donnell who isn't often mentioned but has been a successful captain, and assistant to Matthews and Sheedy.

Rang the club and spoke to PG and SH about CC and advised him that out of 27,000 so members that on the 2 other Melbourne websites, which have about (correct me if I am wrong, combined of about 200 - 300 members, sorry if I am wrong) that they do not want CC and are putting together a petition to pesent to the club that he not coach the club.

PG assured me that with those numbers out of our total membership signing the petition he will personally look into it and intervene for CC not to be given the job.

Ahhh - why bother having a selection process when we can just poll the members... Maybe the club can run with this idea, let's run a poll and select a coach to deliver more members to the footy club... Nope I think the process should remain, if its Chris Connolly its Chris Connolly.

Ahhh - why bother having a selection process when we can just poll the members... Maybe the club can run with this idea, let's run a poll and select a coach to deliver more members to the footy club... Nope I think the process should remain, if its Chris Connolly its Chris Connolly.

Spot on Graz, and tbh I doubt there's much truth in the post from demon3165.

Neale Daniher got out early because he felt there was no advantage in prolonging all of the speculation about his future and that of the club in relation to next year's coaching position. It's for this very reason and the stupidity of the above post that I hope that the MFC completes its due process as soon as possible.

I'm not necessarily in favour of Connolly above any of the other candidates but neither I nor most of the people who post around here have enough information to make an informed decision about who gets the job.

In any event I don't believe anyone has the right to tell the club that they speak on behalf fo posters from Demonland or Demonology.

Yehhhhhhh someone woke up at last............lmfao, that was the point of the post!!!

Give me a side with Pav up forward, an unbeatable ruckman and a home ground advantage that subi creates and i'll coach em deep into september.

If connoly couldnt get them up and running what chance has he got with our un-inspiring mob?

But then again MelbFC have a history of recruiting poorly. Ben Holland, Chris Heffernan, Paul Johnson, Daren Jolly, that fitness 'guru'...

Are they trying to go backwards?