2024 Player Reviews: #23 Shane McAdam

Demonland

18 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Age 29 and with 53 games to his name. Bloody hell. We really must have thought we could reform this character.

Now he is effectively a swap with ANB so it looks even worse.

You do realise he was drafted at 25?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

29 minutes ago, layzie said:

Didn't like the trade at the time and don't like it now but take 2 coming up for Shane. 

Get the body right, get hungry and kick goals.

Or get out.

That covers it layzie.

• Thanks 1

It’s really hard to understand why he was targeted. My mate in Adelaide told me he is a medium lead up forward. Given we have Fritsch in that role I was confused.

When I saw him play for Casey I was shocked at his fitness levels and intensity. Then when he was selected to play with the big boys, I interpreted that as a desperate, ‘throw [censored] against the wall and see what sticks’ exercise.

One of the many unusual decisions by Goodwin and the match committee to play a guy who had shown little in the VFL and looked undercooked.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

He is a lazy footballer. Cannot understand why they took a punt on him when everyone knew he was not hard working.

Give the bloke a go FFS.  He had a terrible off season last year with his injuries.  Take a look back at Stevens May first season with us.  It takes time for some to adapt to a new system.  Go you hardest next year, if he doesn’t improve this year but I suspect he will 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Give the bloke a go FFS.  He had a terrible off season last year with his injuries.  Take a look back at Stevens May first season with us.  It takes time for some to adapt to a new system.  Go you hardest next year, if he doesn’t improve this year but I suspect he will 

It was well known at Adelaide that he didn't always put in. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Deeko2 said:

I remember reading online so many comments from Adelaide supporters rating him highly and a match winner as a player.  The old disclaimer "once he get's his body right" was thrown around a bit as well and I believe one of the reasons he came across was he was upset with the crows medical/fitness team.

He was very good with forward line pressure in a few games I remember him playing for the crows so I didn't mind us chasing him thinking he would be a good get and add another exciting dimension to our forward line.

There is no doubt he has talent but obviously needs to get significantly fitter, get his explosive power up and hopefully complete a full preseason.

It seems unlikely he'll make an impact however as his body does seem quite brittle so I'd be surprised to see him much this year.  

Not everyone's body can handle the rigour of AFL footy.

The game that clinched him the 3 year deal was against the Crows at the MCG late in 2023. 

Shut down Lever and kicked 2-3 goals from memory and Hood winked myself and everyone else at the MFC.

Couldn't get fit under Burgess, so has got f all chance under Selwyn.

Prove us wrong Shane, prove us all wrong.

I'll gladly eat humble pie.

Just go and do something about it please.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

21 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

He is a lazy footballer. Cannot understand why they took a punt on him when everyone knew he was not hard working.

Agree and would add, unless he plays round 1 given his injury history will continue to totally disappiont, bust!

On 12/10/2024 at 02:01, JJJ said:

Then when he was selected to play with the big boys, I interpreted that as a desperate, ‘throw [censored] against the wall and see what sticks’ exercise.

One of the many unusual decisions by Goodwin and the match committee to play a guy who had shown little in the VFL and looked undercooked.

That has been trademark of Goodwins coaching for the last 3 years 

• Thinking 1

On 12/10/2024 at 12:04, Demons11 said:

That's an excellent call re May's first preseason/season with us. I was thinking along the same lines.

It's a good comparison because May absolutely turned it around because he's such a competitor, so how McAdam fronts up for day 1 of preseason and then the early parts of the regular season will tell us if he is one as well or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2024 at 11:01, JJJ said:

Sometimes they have to dangle a carrot to keep up motivation...no intel here but its not unprecedented

4 hours ago, pinkshark said:

On last seasons evidence one of the worst players i've seen at Melbourne.  

Haha come one we fielded whole sides that were not at AFL level. 

Sure he is skinny, seems slow and can't kick long distances but he has a pulse!

On 12/10/2024 at 11:01, JJJ said:

Probably one of the least surprising selections by the current footy department post 2021 IMO. 

I sincerely hope that this recruitment is being studied and we don't make the same mistakes again. I'm a big supporter of left field turnaround recruiting (Kolidjashnij and Harley Bennell to mention a couple) but you do it with low draft picks, limited tenure etc.

Ask yourselves if he was on a year by year contract would he be playing in 2025?

• Like 1