Jack Viney Extends Contract Until 2028

Nascent

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

North dumped a heap of veterans at the same time, that’s different to Jack getting 4 years.

North also allowed Boomer to run one way for about 5 years.

The only thing worse than having no leaders is having leaders who aren’t fair dinkum. 

Yes we’ve re signed Viney, Gawn and we have been told Oliver and Petracca are in for the long haul. Boomer was fair dinkum. Viney, Gawn and Petracca are fair dinkum and Oliver is being supported through some personal difficulties by his loyal club. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, binman said:

Actually not that many to he honest. I tend just to skip posts by posters who grind my gears or burn my bacon.

I just checked. 28 in total. But I've posting on demonland for a long time.

Mainly 'characters' that are long gone (mostly banned) -  eg lord nev, tonatopia (the first poster i ignored), curry and beer, matsuo basho, dee-luded (not to be confused with deeeluded, stuie (lord nev's intense first incarnation), osilik and uncle fester.

And a small handful of current posters. 

Have there been any mad enough to do both? At once? Could get quite messy by the sound of it 😆🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I love this news. And in the coming years I think we will see Viney transition to a high half forward role where his tackling and chasing will help mitigate Nibbler leaving. 

He has also got much better at his set shots.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Chook said:

I think it's really clear there's a trend at Melbourne where we are happy to sign players to long term contracts.
I'd be interested to hear what actual risks there are in doing that for senior leaders of the club.

During 2027:

• Gawn  36yo
  • Viney  33yo and 1 yr left on contract
  • Petracca 31yo and 2 yrs left on contract
  • Oliver 30yo with 3 yrs left on contract
  • Langdon 31yo with 1 yr left on contract

On face value that is fine - many players go on until their mid 30's.  However, they are concentrated in the critical part of the ground - the midfield.

The question is can we attract B+/A level mid fielders in their mid to late 20's with that log jam in front of them.  Probably not.  So we will be drafting them or developing existing players.  Similar question:  How long will those younger players stay if they can't be best 22 from the get go.

Petracca can go forward but a lot of his damage is bursting from a stoppage especially CB.  Opinions vary on this one but imv neither Oliver nor Viney can play positions other than inside attacking/defending midfielders. 

Another question is can we really see/expect our captain/vice captain to play out the last year or two at Casey...

Also, in 2027 Petty, Pickett and Rivers become free agents.  All are from interstate.  They may all stay or may not.  

We may end up with a lop sided list/age profile in or around 20227/28. 

Not pouring cold water on the contract renewals which are great, just answering the question on the 'risks'.  In summary, the risk is having them concentrated in one part, the most critical part and impact on our ability to attract/keep their replacements.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 9
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Macca said:

If North were offering Viney 4 years at about $1Million per year, we ran the risk of losing Viney if we made a low-ball offer

At a guess, I reckon Viney's contract with us would be about $2.8Million (maybe $3Million) Front ended 

So if we only offered 2 extra years the money might be around $2.5Million vs $4Million

Money talks so why would a player forgo $1.5Million?  You get one career in footy and the money that can be earned has a use-by date

What's the average Australian wage? 80 Grand?  If you're playing footy and they want to pay you, get as much as you can 

But it's my belief that Viney could have made more money if he went to North.  So he's loyal and he stays

And we need him

I wouldn't be surprised if both JV and Max have already planned their careers post footy. 

Likely to continue in the club, maybe coaching or FD.

• Like 1

These long term deals are something that folks just need to get used to

In overseas sports all the clubs would have to write-off money owed from time to time.  A delistment contingency factor so to speak

And as a lot more money flows into the clubs in the AFL, the same thing will happen.  List management is not a perfect science as the players and managers are more often than not, looking to maximise the dollars heading their way

So if it's every club from time to time (and it will be), what's the big deal? 

That's why the practice of front ending contracts softens the blow

We might get stuck with a player or 2 from time to time (Ben Brown for instance) but the consequence of not being stuck with a player is that you might miss the opportunity of having that player at all

So Gawn signs on for an extra 2 years but what if a club (with nothing to lose) offered Max an extra 3 or 4 years?  We could then lose Max.  Ditto for Viney

And make no mistake, we've all got a price and players will leave for money.  The loyalty factor is a factor but not limitless

Dustin Martin is a good example of the to & fro.  Years ago he held out for more money and at least 2 clubs were offerening long term deals with big money involved ... in the end, Richmond paid him what he wanted

Money well spent 

As is often said, 'follow the money' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I love this news. And in the coming years I think we will see Viney transition to a high half forward role where his tackling and chasing will help mitigate Nibbler leaving. 

Viney could slot into a role as a defensive forward or even as a small forward

And we don't have to wait until his last contracted season to play him up forward either

Petracca played that high half-forward role in 2019 (IIRC he did not warm to that role) so a few of our best players are adaptable.  Not sure that Clarrie is anything more than a ball-magnet central midfielder but at his best, he's one of the best in that role

Max forward in his last year or 2?  Well, I wouldn't say he can't do it and our policy has often been to play 2 rucks (Gawn rucking with Jackson forward worked well) Gawn can ruck in the front 3rd as well if it came to that

The A graders & elite get long term deals as a matter of course.  It's just the way it works

And most supporters adore their stars so there wouldn't be too many not being happy with Gawn & Viney extending

Much like Flower, Barassi and co, we'll miss them when they're gone

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both JV and Max have already planned their careers post footy. 

Likely to continue in the club, maybe coaching or FD.

I think Viney yes.

Max has a few business' going and I think will look towards a media role somewhere so I doubt he'll have the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, binman said:

Actually not that many to he honest. I tend just to skip posts by posters who grind my gears or burn my bacon.

I just checked. 28 in total. But I've posting on demonland for a long time.

Mainly 'characters' that are long gone (mostly banned) -  eg lord nev, tonatopia (the first poster i ignored), curry and beer, matsuo basho, dee-luded (not to be confused with deeeluded, stuie (lord nev's intense first incarnation), osilik and uncle fester.

And a small handful of current posters. 

If you have these posters on ignore, how do you really know they're long gone?

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2024 at 10:29, spirit of norm smith said:

He said he’d be interested in signing any mature player like Jack Viney.  Luke Parker also mentioned. Clarkson (Thursday) said it’s poor to even name players as the off season circus starts and to do so is very very bad taste.  Clarkson on Friday stated some players names he’d be interested in !!! The guy is bi polar !!! 

Give it a rest.

I rarely listen to SEN but by chance I heard this...a bunch of names including Jack were mentioned and he said( without specifying a punt at  Jack) of course any of  them would be good if you could get them , but it's more complex than that.

He's bipolar? 

You're being stupid...but its a fashion around here

.I'm surprised you didn't fit  Maynard in there somehow.

Any way I briefly thought Jack might have been tempted..I was wrong...big time 

Geez he can even kick 50 metres now 

Edited by IRW
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Circa 2019-2020, @old55

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

During 2027:

• Gawn  36yo
  • Viney  33yo and 1 yr left on contract
  • Petracca 31yo and 2 yrs left on contract
  • Oliver 30yo with 3 yrs left on contract
  • Langdon 31yo with 1 yr left on contract

On face value that is fine - many players go on until their mid 30's.  However, they are concentrated in the critical part of the ground - the midfield.

The question is can we attract B+/A level mid fielders in their mid to late 20's with that log jam in front of them.  Probably not.  So we will be drafting them or developing existing players.  Similar question:  How long will those younger players stay if they can't be best 22 from the get go.

Petracca can go forward but a lot of his damage is bursting from a stoppage especially CB.  Opinions vary on this one but imv neither Oliver nor Viney can play positions other than inside attacking/defending midfielders. 

Another question is can we really see/expect our captain/vice captain to play out the last year or two at Casey...

Also, in 2027 Petty, Pickett and Rivers become free agents.  All are from interstate.  They may all stay or may not.  

We may end up with a lop sided list/age profile in or around 20227/28. 

Not pouring cold water on the contract renewals which are great, just answering the question on the 'risks'.  In summary, the risk is having them concentrated in one part, the most critical part and impact on our ability to attract/keep their replacements.

Good post mate.

I think we'll be targeting free agency at that age profile that our list lacks (25-27) over the next 2-3 years.

Having Oliver, Trac and Viney in your team wouldn't necessarily scare off a Butters or a player of his ilk in 2 years time.

TPP is another matter, but this is where these longer contracts give us flexibility to renegotiate and smooth out TPP.

I think if I were the MFC, I'd be saying to Butters you complement our midfield perfectly and they complement you. And Butters would be thinking I am absolutely as good as these guys, but offer a different skill set. Win-win.

I use Butters as an example, but I think someone that gives our midfield a point of difference from the way it is now (a brutal contested team with less pace and inconsistent ball use) would be a good sell to a target player and to the rest of our mids, who as leaders of the club, who want to get better and win flags, may take a pay cut to get that point of difference player in.

Callaghan is another guy who would offer that point of difference. And there'll be others too.

Geelong and Hawthorn had their veterans take pay cuts for years. Geelong have sustained it better.

I think these new longer term contracts give the club the certainty of having the player signed up, but with the flexibility to go to them in 2-3 years time and say, would you front end or back end the rest of your contract, or whatever accounting situation is needed (maybe that is a pay cut too).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

Good post mate.

I think we'll be targeting free agency at that age profile that our list lacks (25-27) over the next 2-3 years.

Having Oliver, Trac and Viney in your team wouldn't necessarily scare off a Butters or a player of his ilk in 2 years time.

TPP is another matter, but this is where these longer contracts give us flexibility to renegotiate and smooth out TPP.

I think if I were the MFC, I'd be saying to Butters you complement our midfield perfectly and they complement you. And Butters would be thinking I am absolutely as good as these guys, but offer a different skill set. Win-win.

I use Butters as an example, but I think someone that gives our midfield a point of difference from the way it is now (a brutal contested team with less pace and inconsistent ball use) would be a good sell to a target player and to the rest of our mids, who as leaders of the club, who want to get better and win flags, may take a pay cut to get that point of difference player in.

Callaghan is another guy who would offer that point of difference. And there'll be others too.

Geelong and Hawthorn had their veterans take pay cuts for years. Geelong have sustained it better.

I think these new longer term contracts give the club the certainty of having the player signed up, but with the flexibility to go to them in 2-3 years time and say, would you front end or back end the rest of your contract, or whatever accounting situation is needed (maybe that is a pay cut too).

Just summarising the state of the nation in a few years..

Adam can you please ask @Demonlandto give you special rights to change your name.  I get a promotion was in order but God.  Crikey!!!

• Haha 4