Nibbler requests trade back to SA

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Listen to this grub

Personally I think it’s great we honoured Nibbler although I do wish the messaging was a little firmer on the trade - if it needs to be.

But I will recognise we don’t know how much work has been done on a trade already and I suspect most of trade week is theatre. And ultimately he’s contracted to us so we do have the final leverage if Adelaide got really stupid. He can FIFO for games!

That said, getting lessons in the art of the deal from Hutchy who bought and sold a bunch of New Zealand radio stations at a massive loss, yeah nah.

I bet you could find Hutchy praising teams for ‘mature’ list management decisions in other years.

• Like 1

This is a classic case of being a good employer. He's been with the club more than 10 years, has clearly given everything and isn't a huge asset (from a financial/picks point of view like Petracca or Pickett). My view is this is likely his all time career best year so importance is overstated.

AFL clubs have a bit of a history with this kind of trade and trying to build goodwill for future trades (the anti-Dodoro if you will). Frankly will it matter if we get 35 instead of 28?

• Like 3

I think people overstate the whole ‘leverage’ angle with trading. The industry is quite small and everyone has a fair idea of players worth.

Sure, there is a little haggling here and there but truly shafting a club is very counterproductive for future dealings 

Edited by BW511
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

This is a classic case of being a good employer. He's been with the club more than 10 years, has clearly given everything and isn't a huge asset (from a financial/picks point of view like Petracca or Pickett). My view is this is likely his all time career best year so importance is overstated.

AFL clubs have a bit of a history with this kind of trade and trying to build goodwill for future trades (the anti-Dodoro if you will). Frankly will it matter if we get 35 instead of 28?

I could be the difference of missing out on a Max Holmes or getting him. I.e - 2020 AFL draft 

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

I think people overstate the whole ‘leverage’ angle with trading. The industry is quite small and everyone has a fair idea of players worth.

Sure, there is a little haggling here and there but truly shafting a club is very counterproductive for future dealings 

Negotiation for Nibbler should be the same as others. It should be fair and a win/win for both parties.

Consensus seems to be the 2nd rounder that we gave them ,as it sounds reasonable. (Perhaps even generous on our part as events have turned out) 

Anything worse would represent a poor result for us and a win for Adelaide.

Adelaide would be seen as shabby in such an event , they could miss a good player/ person ,an easy deal becomes difficult, gets held up etc etc.

l’m sure Adelaide get that.

• Like 2

It sounds fair that we get back 25 the pick we gave for McAdam.

ANB is a Premiership player, who never misses a game and regularly finished top 10 in the B and F.

McAdam is an injury prone player, who played 3 games with the Dees this year and 7 with the Crows last year and is older than ANB.

Yeah getting our pick back sounds fair, NOT!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

Then we shouldn't have played so badly this year. If we were top 4 again, as we hoped to be, then it'd pick 35. 

Good point.

I was thinking it was 25 when we gave it to them, but of course it was a second round pick, not number 25 at the time.

So therefore we are getting a better pick back, than we thought we were giving them.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Redleg said:

It sounds fair that we get back 25 the pick we gave for McAdam.

ANB is a Premiership player, who never misses a game and regularly finished top 10 in the B and F.

McAdam is an injury prone player, who played 3 games with the Dees this year and 7 with the Crows last year and is older than ANB.

Yeah getting our pick back sounds fair, NOT!

Pick 25 is more than fair for ANB, we simply overpaid for mcadam

• Like 14

Just now, adonski said:

Pick 25 is more than fair for ANB, we simply overpaid for mcadam

Exactly right

I suggest we try and bundle this pick, as well as the other second rounder we have which is tied to Sydney (from the Grundy trade), and try to move down the draft order. There are a number of clubs who need points for bidding.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

Then we shouldn't have played so badly this year. If we were top 4 again, as we hoped to be, then it'd pick 35. 

25 might be it, then, leaving the two 'good faith' parties with arguable wins and no mess. A friendly quick haggle might add Adelaide's 4th rounder (60) or a future 3rd to us, but 'good faith' would evapourate if it's a 3rd rounder (42) offer, or a hold-up while Adelaide pick-trades. If we had to throw in even just our 61, that'd take the 'win' gloss off.

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redleg said:

So therefore we are getting a better pick back, than we thought we were giving them.

I think so. I reckon that pick 25 seems about right to me (I'll wait for the clubs work out what the details of it are) and in line with what most of these types of deals usually get done for. I also think that a pick in the 30s is probably about right for McAdam, albeit probably before he had the down year that he had this year. 

We got lucky with Freo having a down year last year that allowed us to get Windsor (who last year traded Schulz for pick 34 and the premier's future 1st - which became pick 10), so it's all swings and roundabouts IMHO. 

• Like 6
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Axis of Bob said:

We got lucky with Freo having a down year last year that allowed us to get Windsor (who last year traded Schulz for pick 34 and the premier's future 1st - which became pick 10), so it's all swings and roundabouts IMHO. 

That Schulz deal was exceptionally bad. He was never worth a first rounder, nor is he what the Pies needed.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Really hope Dees grab the pick 25 off the Crows. Likely try to pickup Cooper Hynes from the Stingrays.  Hes got that burst of speed, toughness and great goal sense. Perfect across half forward and rotate through midfield.   

Problem is I don't think Hynes will be there at pick 25. Reckon he'll go top 20.

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Really hope Dees grab the pick 25 off the Crows. Likely try to pickup Cooper Hynes from the Stingrays.  Hes got that burst of speed, toughness and great goal sense. Perfect across half forward and rotate through midfield.   

I personally don't see the burst of speed from Hynes at all from some of the games I've watched.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

It's not 'likely' - it's your opinion. The two are very different

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 07:14, Ugottobekidding said:

I would take a punt on Curtin. Would be fair. ANB has elite stats this year. Pick 25 is way too low.

ANB is 30 and 25 would be a great result but we would only get this if we give something back.

I reckon we get a future 2nd for him 

Edited by Demons11

35 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

ANB is 30 and 25 would be a great result but we would only get this if we give something back.

ANB is 28.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guess I value ANB more than most here. His running gives us an extra player at the contest so often, or someone positioned to receive.    
Improved his disposal.  

Draft picks usually take time to become good if they ever do. 

Too many good players let go for too little lately imho. 

• Like 7

On 03/09/2024 at 14:14, Jaded No More said:

Exactly right

I suggest we try and bundle this pick, as well as the other second rounder we have which is tied to Sydney (from the Grundy trade), and try to move down the draft order. There are a number of clubs who need points for bidding.

Seems to me we are going to see (or should I say) should see quite a few leave the list 

If that happens can we afford to do any bundling of picks when we may need to do a major restock of talent? 

Not opposed to the idea but how to we fill our 44 list spots if we have limited draft picks ? I’m not seeing too many if any decent OOC players floating around that would improve our list 

• Clap 1

10 hours ago, Demons11 said:

ANB is 29 at the start of next season and I reckon he can play at least 4 more seasons - probably got another 100 games in him.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Demons11 said:

ANB. He has played 96 out of 97 games possible in the last 4 years.  Super consistent.  Super reliable.  ANB and MFC pick 51 for Crows pick 25.  They are getting a player who walks into their best group (7-8) and is a leader.  

• Like 7