2024 Phantom Drafts

15 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

i'm more and more feeling like it'll be Langford and Lindsay joining the Dees

Hope so! Saints with picks 7 and 8 might threaten to spoil the party, Lindsay is the type they've gone after in the last few years

There's an edge missing from the draft excitement for me.

I just feel like it is going to be fine. More than fine. I'm not worried.

My favourite feature in any given player in any given position is initiative. The Musashi Miyamoto state of mind where very action flows into the next action and all with clear purpose of 'cutting the enemy'.

This draft is loaded with it - I'd say led by Jagga Smith but there's none which seem to be lacking in it.

I think at 9 we will go for a tall ranked around that area unless a player highly ranked by JT slips through. Tauru, Trainor or Armstrong would be good.

I would not be surprised if North reach and pick Armstrong or Tauru at pick 2. They already are stacked with mids.

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

That’s a YES from me.  Both as a combo add inside and outside midfielder capability.  

The thing i was really surprised with about Lindsay is i kinda wrongly categorized  him as a bit of a soft outside player, but he can definitely win his own ball, i feel it's an incredibly underrated part of his game, his outside weapons are just so good people don't seem to notice his ball winning.

I am not sure what others see with Langford, but a mate of mine called him "Left footed David Mundy" and i've really been seeing that, he's got the height, a real weapon up forward and such a good ball winner who can get on the outside and be really dangerous

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

The thing i was really surprised with about Lindsay is i kinda wrongly categorized  him as a bit of a soft outside player, but he can definitely win his own ball, i feel it's an incredibly underrated part of his game, his outside weapons are just so good people don't seem to notice his ball winning.

I am not sure what others see with Langford, but a mate of mine called him "Left footed David Mundy" and i've really been seeing that, he's got the height, a real weapon up forward and such a good ball winner who can get on the outside and be really dangerous

Mundy is a great comp.

17 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

That's a great shout. Really does have a bit of Mundy about him based on clips I've seen.

Not a bad player to be compared to either.

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

i'm more and more feeling like it'll be Langford and Lindsay joining the Dees

Wouldn’t be disappointed with that outcome. Big fan of how Lindsay can change the angle of attack with his kicking. The sort of player Hawthorn has a habit of loading up on (and that we sorely lack).

Langford’s had a magnificent season and well worth a pick in the top 5 (even if his pace is lacking).

• Like 3

I have less idea than Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's,

But I think we should choose the best natural footballer left in both 5 and 9

But needs not to be slow, needs to be aggressive.

A help is a left foot kick, accurate kick,  and further "room for improvement" whatever that might mean to the team of selectors, 

Will wait and see nothing,

7 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Wouldn’t be disappointed with that outcome. Big fan of how Lindsay can change the angle of attack with his kicking. The sort of player Hawthorn has a habit of loading up on (and that we sorely lack).

Langford’s had a magnificent season and well worth a pick in the top 5 (even if his pace is lacking).

That sideways kicking can be player motivated which is best but it can also be drained out by a game plan. 

it’s all part of the Hawthorn plan and Swans are not bad at it also.

I want aggressive players and Tauru and Langford might well fit the bill if available. 

Would not be upset if Armstrong and say Smith or  Smillie or Lindsay saluted our needs on availability if choice demands. 

• Like 1

Lindsay has red flags all over the place imo. Highly unnatural in the contest, panics under physical pressure and makes poor decisions, and for a highly touted kicker, misses a lot of targets. 

I swear people see a left footer with a nice action and they start crafting a story that he's a slingshot half back who can open up the game. 

Watch more closely 

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

We need to be recruiting the next Oliver/Trac replacements in this draft, so that in 5 years time they are approaching their peak as we lose our champions (if they are even still here).

So this draft should all be about getting the elite (potential brownlow medallists); not settle for good players, talls or flankers.

You draft for the future and trade for the now!!!!!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Definitely.

Not only does he have an inside game but it's actually pretty decent. He's got a 'calming' feeling about his ball use much like Pendlebury. 

If offered Langford and Lindsay for 5 and 9 right now I'd take it and shut the gate.  

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, manny100 said:

I think at 9 we will go for a tall ranked around that area unless a player highly ranked by JT slips through. Tauru, Trainor or Armstrong would be good.

I would not be surprised if North reach and pick Armstrong or Tauru at pick 2. They already are stacked with mids.

I was (am) a massive fan of Trainor, but I've become pretty concerned about his injuries sustained this year. He had two serious concussions during 2023 and I'm led to believe he had another late this year that saw him enter concussion protocols in September. 

I think he may be a slider and while the talent is there, I suspect clubs may be put off by the worry they'll be taking on another Paddy McCartin. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2024 at 08:45, adonski said:

More guesswork which is what we get one month out. Gotta wait for Cal Twomeys phantom unfortunately

Isn't Twomeys Phantom Form Guide just how he ranks each player? Not so much what each club will pick?

I wish he'd do one based on the intel he's getting from recruitors and how he actually thinks the draft will turn out at this stage.

10 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Isn't Twomeys Phantom Form Guide just how he ranks each player? Not so much what each club will pick?

I wish he'd do one based on the intel he's getting from recruitors and how he actually thinks the draft will turn out at this stage.

His form guide is just his personal opinion on how he rates them

The phanom draft he releases prior to the draft is the one where he predicts (very accurarely) who is going where

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Lindsay has red flags all over the place imo. Highly unnatural in the contest, panics under physical pressure and makes poor decisions, and for a highly touted kicker, misses a lot of targets. 

I swear people see a left footer with a nice action and they start crafting a story that he's a slingshot half back who can open up the game. 

Watch more closely 

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Definitely.

Not only does he have an inside game but it's actually pretty decent. He's got a 'calming' feeling about his ball use much like Pendlebury. 

If offered Langford and Lindsay for 5 and 9 right now I'd take it and shut the gate.  

I guess people see things differently????

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

He does a form guide based on ranking at the moment. He does a phantom draft based on his intel right before the draft and it's usually 90% accurate for the top 10-15 picks. He's the only journo worth listening to when it comes to the draft. All others are liars making up rubbish for clicks. Cal is actually interested, has connections, and doesn't want to be a Kornes style shock jockey.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ungarieboy said:

We need to be recruiting the next Oliver/Trac replacements in this draft, so that in 5 years time they are approaching their peak as we lose our champions (if they are even still here).

So this draft should all be about getting the elite (potential brownlow medallists); not settle for good players, talls or flankers.

You draft for the future and trade for the now!!!!!  

Disagree one for the future a mid which we desperately need but a talent like Armstrong or Tauru are considered almost generational and if scalable at 5 or 9 one of them would add a potential A grader to our forward line. 

How much better will all our youngsters be with a true KPF capable of 50/60 goals on top of the usual suspects of Fritta and Kossie and the possibility of our new mid plus Trac kicking goals and over a 110/120 goals potentially from the mix of JVR Disco Harry P and Jeffo over a season when they hit their prime in the forward line. 

Mids do not normally take 5 years as you indicated to reach near their peak and are a lot more freely available in both draft or trade situations than talls. 

In fact our talks  will be the ones that will be in their prime in 4/5 years with a mid a year enough to replace Both Trac and Clarry around the end of the decade, or slightly earlier or later should that occur. 

Does anyone think that Smith might slide a bit? He's the hardest one to place currently for mine and with pick swaps on draft night, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him available at pick 9.

Taking out the academy and f/s players, is this such an unlikely scenario?

1. Lalor (rich)

Pick swap with North: 2 for 6 and 18

2. Langford (rich) 

3. O'sullivan (carl)

4. Draper (Adelaide)

5. Smillie (Melb)

6. Tauru (North)

7. Travaglia (Saints)

8. Armstrong (Saints)

9. Smith? (Melb)

Still have Reid, Lindsay, Allan on the board and there's usually a bolter come draft night that enters top 10 calculations like Windsor. Can't see him as a top 4 lock and not sure we go with him at 5(6).

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2