binman’s rant (Goody defence)

50 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I actually think their list is pretty good and is under delivering. They are just lacking hugely in system and defence. 

They match us in the midfield and have us covered in the forward line. Their defence really lacks a versatile interceptor and they don't really have a Petracca equivalent. 

Yep - which is ny point. Goody has delivered a flag whereas several Carlton coaches including Voss haven't. See Fagan also but atleast he's got close. They're hard to win!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What a lame-@rse reason. Sure, it was heartbreaking that Victorian fans couldn’t see it live, but to cite that as the reason it’s not as valuable as other premierships is ridiculous at best. It’s selfish too. Our players and coaches had the joy of experiencing a grand final win, I’m so happy for them, despite watching it at home alone like *everyone else in Victoria.

*almost everyone. 

And why is it always assumed that the same thing would've happened at the MCG? Especially the way we played there against GWS, Footscray and Hawthorn. I'd rather celebrate a premiership in the bank no matter where it happened than get upset about hypotheticals.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My biggest criticism of Goody is the fact we haven't won the last 3 premierships despite me clearly telling him at training one time that's what i wanted to have happen. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

40 minutes ago, SPC said:

My only criticism of Goody has been his tendency to play the same 22, even when some are clearly out of form or injured.. he has won me back this year by playing the kids and appears to be keen to adapt and embrace change. 

He did this in 2022 yes and it took its toll in the back end of the year. Thought he got better last year but this year he's gone to a new level.

• Like 5

Great podcast as always BInman.

Considering the adversities Goodwin has to endure in the last 12 months the one thing you cannot question is his ability to deal with adversity. Clarkson and Fagan aside no other coach has had to deal with the vitriol, scrutiny and circumstances compromising his ability to coach.

I do wonder if another coach had to deal with the situations Goodwin has been through, would the media be lauding him?

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SPC said:

My only criticism of Goody has been his tendency to play the same 22, even when some are clearly out of form or injured.. he has won me back this year by playing the kids and appears to be keen to adapt and embrace change. 

Agree 100%

• Like 1

Of the 31 MFC coaches, only 5 have premiership besides their name. He is placed 4th with his win/loss record.

He is a Melbourne legend.

• Like 13
  • Love 3

Loved the rant Binman… was good to place him so squarely in amongst our greats. Which he is! The media can whatever they do but on this site it’s good to feel he’s more well recognised. Best coach in my 53 years supporting. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I was 37 when we won the flag. I’m 40 now. Goodwin is the only coach in my lifetime to build a list that won one, and has kept enough talent flowing through that we’re far from being done at having a shot at another one.

It’s very plausible that this is the best we’ll be in my lifetime. I’m not going to pot the coach that delivered it.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Clap 3

I’m sure most die hard fans were gutted that the 2021 flag was won interstate, I know I was and still feel a little robbed of the experience I always imaged when I dreamt of winning a flag. 
But that is not on Goodwin, and I feel like subconsciously a lot of our fans take that bitterness out on him, like Covid was his fault and border closures were his fault.

Some coaches have been coaching their clubs much longer for a lot less success. Hell I don’t see Swans fans complaining because Longmire has lost four grand finals. 

Bigger picture is that Goodwin has the players. Jackson aside we haven’t lost a single top talent that we wanted to keep while he’s been the senior coach.
We signed our stars to long term deals, we kept Kosi, we got May and Lever and Langdon who ultimately delivered us a flag. 
This is a very big part of being a successful coach, having the trust and confidence of the players. Getting more assistants or better tacticians is easy, getting a senior coach who delivers that message and is heard, is a totally different story. 
The players adore Goodwin and that is all that matters to me. Everything else in terms of game plans and tactics is changeable. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1

@binman  I'll just start by saying Goody will be a legend simply because he led us to a flag after a 57 year drought, no matter what his final W-L record is or how many flags he ends up with.  Same as Roos at the Swans or Beveridge at the Dogs or Bomber Thompson (who for some strange reason you left out) at Geelong.  BTW Bomber coached 264 games, won 2 flags, and had a W-L record of 62% (and a finals W-L record of 57.9%) so he has Goody covered in every metric.

Of coaches to coach at least 150 games, have >50% W-L record, and win 1 premiership, there are actually not 14 but 34 coaches.  Did you mean to say 150 games, better W-L record than Goody, and at least 1 premiership.  If you had then the list would have been 18 coaches.  But in this list only 2 have not won multiple flags (Goody and Longmire). 

So on behalf of all demonlanders, I request Goody win another flag so he can fix that anomaly.

PS How did you leave Checker Hughes out of your list? 348 games coached, 6 GFs, 4 flags, 65.4% W-L record.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He's been a very solid coach of the Melbourne Football Club. That is not up for debate.

I've been impressed with how he adapted to injuries in the second half of 2023 (Fritta, Petty, Melk) and how he's dug our club out of an absolute mid season hole this year. The way the under 23's are currently performing is an absolute credit and endorsement to Goody and his development staff.

To call him an MFC legend is, however, up for debate in my opinion. As it is for Bevo and the Dogs who are both comparable coaches IMO in terms of the ultimate success and quantity of finals wins.

15 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Luke is a legend of the Footscray Football Club because he's one of only two Bulldogs coaches to ever win a flag and he's also got them to a second GF.

But unlike Goody, Luke has never had a side finish top 4 and it speaks to his coaching and his system.

Conversely, Goody has had 3 top 4 finishes, one minor premiership, one premiership and another year of making the PF in 2018.

I agree with Binners, Goody is a legend of our football club.

In a few weeks Bevo will have coached more games and to more grand finals than any other WB coach ever.

Maybe some think his record may not make him an all time VFL/AFL legend, but he is about 39th on the all time games coaches list, and about 9 of those haven't won a flag. So he is in good company.

Goodwin has a long way to go to get past Norm Smith or Checker Hughes*, but he is a comfortable 3rd at the moment for us. His record is fantastic, and if our kids keep travelling the way they are, he'll be around many more years.

Screenshot_20240717_222020_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_222121_Chrome.jpg

Edited by deanox
* who are two of the top 3 coaches of all time.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Because it wasn’t at the MCG. Pure and simple.

I haven’t heard the media devalue it but many of the average fan on social media has.

It's a cheap and ignorant shot by opposition fans. If you look at it objectively, we had to beat a fellow Victorian team at a neutral venue. The win ranks far higher than the Pies (an MCG tenant club) beating an interstate side at the MCG who plays there 1-2 times a year.

As for the media heat on Geelong and Collingwood vs Melbourne. I think the main reason for that is the list profile. When Melbourne won the flag, the expectation was that we had such a core in their prime we could do it again and again. Geelong's win was the "oh they've defied all odds and Dad's army has won the elusive flag they've been chasing for 10 years" storyline. Collingwood is also the oldest list now and a lot of people didn't predict them to win it again in '24. I think if you go back to AFL pre-season predictions for 2022 and about 90% of punters would have tipped Melbourne.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Agree 100%

You have got to be kidding me, revisit your post game Round 1 posts. You have some nerve

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

You have got to be kidding me, revisit your post game Round 1 posts. You have some nerve

No. To busy having a few quiet 🥃 whiskey’s listening to a good band…

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Because it wasn’t at the MCG. Pure and simple.

I haven’t heard the media devalue it but many of the average fan on social media has.

I don’t want to gloat, actually I lie, I do want to gloat- I managed to watch all three of our finals live in 21 and legally!  Trust me, it’s up there with getting married, having kids, etc. More good luck than planning, just managed to be travelling and in the right states at the right time.

The two finals in WA were extra special, smashing Geelong and then the big one.The atmosphere (particularly in WA) was phenomenal.  Pretty much the majority of the state adopted Melbourne as ‘their team’. The party atmosphere, the noise was incredible. 
The average fan on social media are just jealous losers.  
Still hoping to see us snag the big one at the G in the not too distant future….with Goody at the helm.   No guarantee of course, but am more hopeful than I have been for over half a century prior. It’s nice to live in hope. GO DEES 

• Like 9
  • Clap 2

As others have said, I think frustration stems from a belief that after 2021 we had a dynasty list and that it was now "our turn" to win at least 3 premierships. 2022 we were very good but were cooked by finals after backing up the prem with a 2nd place regular season finish (other teams since have shown hoe hard it is to back up after a flag). Goody, coaching group and high performance group learn from this but you still wonder what happens if Trac doesnt get a crack in his leg. 2023 we were almost primed primed but ultimately our forwardline was decimated. Still, Goody's plan got us the opportunity to win both finals but the players couldn't deliver in front of goal. 

I think we had and have a very good list, but I also think the gamestyle in 2021 really got the most out of everyone and despite a dominant finals series on paper, it was still a bloody hard flag to win and we needed a lot to go our way. I will never be angry that it was in Perth and we couldn't be there. It was a very dark year for so many reasons and I'm forever grateful to Goody and the team for delivering so many moments of blissful happiness. Spent all of that Sunday walking around Melbourne with my dad decked out in our gear, talking about the incredible feat we had witnessed. Never been more proud as a dees fan.

While 22 and 23 were ultimately very disappointing due to our expectations (23 particularly devastating given Gus and the fact that i really believe we were the strongest side in it), I don't think our list was ever miles ahead of the pack. I myself and I suspect other dees fans too chronically underrate geelong. Brisbane's side is and has been very very good. Sydney and GWS have had incredible teams on paper over the last 4/5 years but have not been able to deliver a flag. Carlton?? They have had one year like our 2018 year despite being in a similar place developmentally to where we are now! With supposedly 2 of the greatest full forwards of their generation and guns all over the park. Even the bulldogs who I believe have the best player in the AFL along with fantastic forwards and a gun midfield haven't haven't been able to take advantage of their talent and land a top 4 spot. Collingwood were clearly fantastic at winning footy games last year. They found a winning formula to maximise their talent like we did in 2021 and it worked.

Sorry for the rant, I just really think that there was an internalised feeling among dees fans that we were 'owed' a dynasty, when the reality for me is that since Richmond's 2019 win, the best teams have all been very similar in talent levels and I am forever thankful that we at least got one is such a tough era of footy. Plus whatever is to come! I don't think we are done yet. 

Goody forever a Dees legend for mine.

• Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I don’t want to gloat, actually I lie, I do want to gloat- I managed to watch all three of our finals live in 21 and legally!  Trust me, it’s up there with getting married, having kids, etc. More good luck than planning, just managed to be travelling and in the right states at the right time.

The two finals in WA were extra special, smashing Geelong and then the big one.The atmosphere (particularly in WA) was phenomenal.  Pretty much the majority of the state adopted Melbourne as ‘their team’. The party atmosphere, the noise was incredible. 
The average fan on social media are just jealous losers.  
Still hoping to see us snag the big one at the G in the not too distant future….with Goody at the helm.   No guarantee of course, but am more hopeful than I have been for over half a century prior. It’s nice to live in hope. GO DEES 

Agree, whilst I feel for the VIC based fans who through no fault of their own couldn’t get there, COVID created the perfect storm for me to witness the drought breaking flag without spending 2-3k on flights and accommodation. It’s a day I never thought I’d see and I will never forget.

The crowd was amazing and the lead up to it saw us adopted by most of the state. I think with many WA based Dogs supporters wanting to lap up the entire atmosphere the stadium remaining full at the end was a rarity for a Grand final.

I just hope all the supporters back in Victoria get to witness it 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Thanks Binman, I enjoyed the podcast and the segment, unleashed/dumped. Agree with what you say about Goody.

My thoughts are that he has changed/evolved his approach, the opposite of stubborn.  We have seen him grow as a strategist and a personnel manager (players, assistance and administrators). His analysis and understanding of the game is second to none. He always appears calm and continues to instill culture and brand into the MFC at all opportunities. 

I used to think that he wasn't getting the best out of the players. Then I look at our young players development and how they make an impact (including some we let go) when they get their opportunities. He also seems to have found the balance between over-involved and aloof, with the group.

Love his emphasis on roles. They can play knowing what is expected which can help when the going gets tough, and when in review.

He seems to give 100% to the club and his group.

Thanks Goody.

• Like 5
  • Clap 2