POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

8 hours ago, Supdeano said:

That's what successful clubs do. Teams like the c*ts and h*wks didn't create premiership dynasties by sitting on their laurels and not being critical about performance.

I’ve been ignoring you until now - but I laughed out loud at this. Mate, your opinion is not so important that it contributes to a successful club.

The crew who make all the decisions obviously need to analyse the performance for the club to be successful. Our job as supporters is to buy memberships to keep the club healthy, and to make a racket at games to pump the players up. That’s it.

We do this for our own amusement, and that’s it. Nobody of any importance cares about your, my, or anyone else’s opinion on here about how Petty played. And fine, Petty didn’t have a great game. We get it and don’t necessarily disagree, but the walls of text on the topic are annoying for people who want to just enjoy a good win.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 9

5 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Did we see Caleb Windsor put himself into rising star favouritism last night.?

In front of a huge crowd, prime time TV and coolness under pressure. The commentators loved him.

I used to bemoan having to watch ed langdon from afar but now I have the closer Windsor wing to watch him close up for 4 quarters.

He has been a great recruit. I think he has played every game this year. A great effort for a first year player.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

and your point is??

Kent, one minute it’s Goody the master tactician, then weeks ago it was sack him, he’s lost the players.

My point is opinions vary so drastically depending on results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Nathan Jones needs a talking too. Sounds like a sour grape when he commentates our games. 

Probably trying too hard not to be biased.

I thought the commentators described the game through the eyes of a Bombers win, and then towards the end it was a plucky comeback.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I’ve been ignoring you until now - but I laughed out loud at this. Mate, your opinion is not so important that it contributes to a successful club.

The crew who make all the decisions obviously need to analyse the performance for the club to be successful. Our job as supporters is to buy memberships to keep the club healthy, and to make a racket at games to pump the players up. That’s it.

We do this for our own amusement, and that’s it. Nobody of any importance cares about your, my, or anyone else’s opinion on here about how Petty played. And fine, Petty didn’t have a great game. We get it and don’t necessarily disagree, but the walls of text on the topic are annoying for people who want to just enjoy a good win.

I actually think Petty played better than the stats suggest last night. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

Kent, one minute it’s Goody the master tactician, then weeks ago it was sack him, he’s lost the players.

My point is opinions vary so drastically depending on results.

welcome to humanity RB

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

If you want to do your head in go to-

POSTGAME v ESSENDON 

then

POSTGAME v FREMANTLE or WEST COAST (loss)

Good luck 🤞 

Why would anyone do this..

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

I actually think Petty played better than the stats suggest last night. 

Very much so. 

Stats..pffffffftt

29 minutes ago, old dee said:

You were very confident pre the premiership year LH. Where will we finish this year?

Well ... I haven't cancelled my cbd hotel reservation for the GF weekend.  😊  A reservation made in January.   But the kids might tire by then.

Even if we don't make the finals which I reckon we will, I'm so enjoying 'The Baby Demons', aka 'The Mouse Pack', that I won't be disappointed in this season.  Will ride this wave as long as it lasts.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Where are the Goody haters? You guys have disappeared? Still celebrating the win?

They are lurking. Just with a different tone to their posts. The extremists are on X watching Trump tweets. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

Dear Straight Set Simon, 

I look forward to only having to lose one final this year. 

Dear SImon, I am looking forward to a fully defensive game for Petty. I'd like Jeffo to be played at FFwd, releasing a re-invigorated Fritta to the 'loose' ball and Chin to assist Kozzie with the clean-up for goals. I have received advice that Verral can hurt other ruckmen and would fit in well with a zonal 'around-the-ground' rucking series of responsibilities with our talls - Petty excluded. Thank you.

• Thinking 1

9 hours ago, Supdeano said:

Ok champ, tell me who was in your bottom 3 for us then?

1. Supdeano

2. Supdeano

3. Supdeano

IRW had gone awol, so it’s all down to you what’s up Deano! 

damn I forgot to give @Rhino Richards a vote 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Demonsterative
  • Haha 4

I thought Nic Martin was overrated, but watching someone live definitely changes your perception. He doesn’t stop running, they have a real good one there…I’ll give them that.

• Like 7

Shout out to Turner. Key role in the win; stepped up as the key forward allowing JVR to ruck. 

Always looked promising but held back by injuries and a lean physique.  Now he has the body of an AFL KPF.

Contests well, kicks straight and loses his opponent inside 50. Solid long-term prospect. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I thought Nic Martin was overrated, but watching someone live definitely changes your perception. He doesn’t stop running, they have a real good one there…I’ll give them that.

Yeah, he looks like a gun.

13 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

It happened with North too. I’d like to think it’s not intentional from the umpires. Maybe when the momentum shifts the umpires just get sucked in. 

I'll never believe umpires are actually corrupt or would umpires to help even up the contest.

But I suspect there's often some sub conscious stuff at play 

The obvious one is the whole noise of affirmation phenomenon. No doubt that's real.

This scenario is similar. Game done and dusted, one team way down. How often they suddenly start giving soft free kicks? 

This game then had the opposite scenario - game tightens up and they 'Put the whistle away'. 

Infuriating.

It's one or the key reasons why umpires should be full time pros. 

Just like footballers use sports psychologist and drills to improve decidion making under pressure, di the same for umpires (which no doubt they do now to some extent but as I understand it they only train once per week).

Coach them to do the job better, incentivise getting it right in the form of bonus payments and selection for marquee games and finals, drop them if not performing, allow some media scrutiny.

And they don't need to be paid much more than the current semi pro mob - who apparently get paid pretty well.

Plenty of young people who love sport but won't make it to elite levels would see umpiring as a genuine career pathway even if say the average, base starting salary was something like 125k.

Hell, that  would be double the starting salary in the community sector - a sector where salaries even for CEOS tops out at aprox 175k.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, binman said:

But I suspect there's oftej some sub conscious stuff at play 

..... 'Pur the whistle away'. 

the same fie umpires.

Coach them to do tge job 

...tlfor marquee gsmed, droop them if nor performing, allow some scrutiny.......

, base syarting  salary was something like 125k.

Binnie, proof reader on holiday? 🙂

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven't read all the pages, but two things of note:

Oliver was huge - put his big body in every tight contest and took all the hammering and buffering to allow tap ons, spillage, congestion etc, to come our way...and...

2.40 omg - best odds ever

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, binman said:

I'll never believe umpires are actually corrupt or would umpires to help even up the contest.

But I suspect there's oftej some sub conscious stuff at play 

The obvious one is the while noise of affirmation phenomenon. No doubt that's real.

This scenario is similar. Game done and dusted, one team way down. How often they suddenly start giving soft free kicks? 

This game then had the opposite scenario - game tightens up and they 'Pur the whistle away'. 

Infuriating.

It's one or the key reasons why umpires should be full time pros. 

Just like footballers use spirts psychologist and drills to improve decidion making under pressure, di the same fir umpires.

Coach them to do tge job better, incentivise getting it right in the form of bonus payments and selection tlfor marquee gsmed, droop them if nor performing, allow some scrutiny.

And they don't need to be paid much more than the current semi pro mob - who apparently get paid pretty

Plenty of young people who love sport but won't make it to elite levels would see umpiring as a genuine career pathway even if say the average, base syarting salary was something like 125k.

Hell, that  would be double the starting salary in the community sector - a sector where salaries even fir CEOS tops out at aprox 175k.

when they're not professional it's very hard to hold them to account

having four on field has made it even more of a farce - four individual decision makers officiating the one game is absolutely absurd

i couldn't believe it when i heard it, but recently i think it was mcburney who confirmed that there's only three actually 'officiating' at any time and the fourth in the 'end zone' is effectively on a break during the time they're positioned significantly outside the play

it's a joke and the afl refuses to do anything about it cos, of course, it would cost money

and there's only one thing that the afl hates more than bad publicity, and that's spending money

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

when they're not professional it's very hard to hold them to account

having four on field has made it even more of a farce - four individual decision makers officiating the one game is absolutely absurd

i couldn't believe it when i heard it, but recently i think it was mcburney who confirmed that there's only three actually 'officiating' at any time and the fourth in the 'end zone' is effectively on a break during the time they're positioned significantly outside the play

it's a joke and the afl refuses to do anything about it cos, of course, it would cost money

and there's only one thing that the afl hates more than bad publicity, and that's spending money

My point about salary is needn't cost that much more than it currently does.

For example have 3 umpires per game.

Ironically, apparently a factor in having 4 is as you suggest it's less taxing - and that means their best umpires can do more games. 

15 minutes ago, binman said:

My point about salary is needn't cost that much more than it currently does.

For example have 3 umpires per game.

Ironically, apparently a factor in having 4 is as you suggest it's less taxing - and that means their best umpires can do more games. 

i think they should be paid significantly more than part-timers

incentivise the job, and hold them to account

• Like 1
  • Clap 2