Jump to content

Food at the Footy



Recommended Posts

Interesting article about a number of stadiums trying to uplift the quality of food served to the masses.

Is it a good thing?

I reckon the quality of the traditional four n twenty "rat's coffin" has dropped a lot over the years.

Let alone the taste of an overpriced plastic cup of foamy mid strength soap.

Just curious about people's thoughts and their eating habits, favourite places to eat before a game and routines.

I'm sceptical about most things the AFL does and like to support smaller places to eat outside the ground where possible before heading in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/10/australia-stadiums-food-options-afl-nrl

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new bar on level 2 of the northern stand now sells bahn mi rolls for $16 to go with their bland alcohol choices. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't eat anything at the footy exceot for some "hot" chips. Even my kids won't eat the pies, one some bought one at the last game we were at and lasted a couple of bites before binning it. Greasy, disgusting slop.

  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

Interesting article about a number of stadiums trying to uplift the quality of food served to the masses.

Is it a good thing?

I reckon the quality of the traditional four n twenty "rat's coffin" has dropped a lot over the years.

Let alone the taste of an overpriced plastic cup of foamy mid strength soap.

Just curious about people's thoughts and their eating habits, favourite places to eat before a game and routines.

I'm sceptical about most things the AFL does and like to support smaller places to eat outside the ground where possible before heading in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/10/australia-stadiums-food-options-afl-nrl

I don't go to the footy for a gourmet meal or a gourmet pie. I in fact look fwd to a pie at the footy.  A regular FnT 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a strange one; stadium food logistics doesn't seem to have been figured out. Some of the vendors seem barely better organised than a Hume Highway truck stop. Hmm, actually, that's not a surprise now I think of it because those truck stops are often catering for sudden rushes as a tour bus or intercity bus pulls in with 40 people who all need to drop a Maynard and have a snack before they get back on the bus.

Seems to me the key problem will always be that if you try to 'elevate' food you always get the penalty that slightly fewer people will want a particular item. The fewer potential customers per item becomes a serious problem when the potential buyers are trying to make a decision and complete a transaction in 5 minutes, and there is a lot of geographic segmentation of the 'marketplace', so to speak. I'll make the trip to Petersham for a Portugese tart on a saturday morning, but would I willingly miss the start of the second half because I'm circling the concourse of the MCG looking for a Portugese tart?

Anyway, I think we can all agree that the answer is gozleme.

 

  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It’s a matter of risk versus reward. 
It looks and smells like things have improved, but I’m not going to risk sitting on the crapper for the next few days, just to find out. 
I can confirm that the chips have improved.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always go for a footy Franks dog and hot chips. No issue so far and the price was not too bad, but I haven't been to the footy for more than 12 months.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AFL cheese platters are a disgrace.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took my loved one to the footy on Sunday. We took a thermos with tea etc, a thermos with soup, some cakes and didn't buy anything. I don't mind the cost of the food, it's the quality. You can either get great chips or shocking ones, so I just nearly always take my own food. If I have time I will buy sandwiches etc at Southern Cross or other healthy options at Woolworths there. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was my second game for the year making the 6 hour drive south with the wife and wee-one to sit in the MCC.

I thought I'd have a couple cheeky froths but was shocked at the $15.50 price tag for one plastic cup of Asahi.  So that was it for me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Each to their own I guess but I enjoy buying my four n twenty pie and cappuccino in the Hasset Room? On the way to our seats, usually buy a water as well and that gets me through the day. Pies are of a regular standard, you can also purchase a reasonable meal there as well. When we win we always buy jam donuts to eat on the way back to the car.😁😁

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been taking my own sandwiches/drinks/snacks etc into the 'G all season so far. At some point, you just have to ask yourself if it's worth lining up for 10 minutes just to spend $6 on a lukewarm pie.

The only exception are the jam donuts outside the G following a win!

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

no truffled brie?

No Stilton

No Aged Cheddar

No Foie gras 

No pickled walnut

The list goes on.

Its like a Monty Python sketch.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

The new bar on level 2 of the northern stand now sells bahn mi rolls for $16 to go with their bland alcohol choices. 

And isn't the new Betty Cuthbert bar set up appalling. It's like a noisy cattle enclosure. Totally stuffed up a good bar by putting the TV commentators panel where the old bar was

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also a non-buyer at the ground. Not that hard to survive three hours without having to get something to eat or drink and I can always take something in with me if needed.

Last week we sat behind a couple who had two drinks each every quarter, plus food. In all, it would have cost them well over $200 on [censored] food and drinks in plastic cups.

Cost of living crisis though they reckon........ 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

It's a strange one; stadium food logistics doesn't seem to have been figured out. Some of the vendors seem barely better organised than a Hume Highway truck stop. Hmm, actually, that's not a surprise now I think of it because those truck stops are often catering for sudden rushes as a tour bus or intercity bus pulls in with 40 people who all need to drop a Maynard and have a snack before they get back on the bus.

Seems to me the key problem will always be that if you try to 'elevate' food you always get the penalty that slightly fewer people will want a particular item. The fewer potential customers per item becomes a serious problem when the potential buyers are trying to make a decision and complete a transaction in 5 minutes, and there is a lot of geographic segmentation of the 'marketplace', so to speak. I'll make the trip to Petersham for a Portugese tart on a saturday morning, but would I willingly miss the start of the second half because I'm circling the concourse of the MCG looking for a Portugese tart?

Anyway, I think we can all agree that the answer is gozleme.

 

Gold.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I catch a train in and make a stop at Springvale to buy a pork belly roll. Then back on the train to the G.

Love it when someone at half time asks me where did I buy that from.

Bun Bun?  That place is the best!

Not sure how the roll survives all the way from Springvale station to the MCG though. Mine wouldn't get far beyond Westall station 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 9

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    HEAVENS ABOVE by Molly Melbourne

    Who said the football gods and scoreboard attendants at the MCG don’t have a sense of humour? The gods spent a whole week teasing Demon and Bomber fans alike about Saturday night’s game. About how the entire match would be dominated by the hulking, brooding figures of 205cm Sam Draper and his 2IC Peter Wright lapping it up in the absence of Melbourne skipper and the club's No.1, No 2, No 3 and No 4 ruckman Max Gawn in the wake of that ankle injury. They painted pictures of Simon Goodwin ne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 8

    PREGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Dees head on the road for the sixth time this season to play for the second time on the holy site of their drought breaking Premiership glory as they take on the Dockers. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 301

    PODCAST: Rd 18 vs Essendon

    The Demonland Podcast will not be LIVE again this week. Binman will do his regular stats files segment for the game against the Bombers and will also preview the upcoming match against the Dockers. He will not be taking any questions. I will post the show here once I receive Binman's stats files. You can also find it wherever you get your podcasts from. We will return in our regular format once I return after the Dockers match.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 32

    VOTES: Rd 18 vs Essendon

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jack Viney & Alex Neal-Bullen make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Kangaroos. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 55

    POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

    For 3 quarters the Demons ground out a lead against the Bombers in tough wet conditions at the MCG before putting foot down early in the last quarter eventually winning by 17 points and putting them firmly back in the hunt for September action.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 624

    GAMEDAY: Rd 18 vs Essendon

    It’s game day and the Demons face a massive test which may determine whether they have what it takes to play finals this season. The task has been made all the more difficult without their Premiership Captain Max Gawn.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 610
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...