PREGAME: Rd 17 vs West Coast

23 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Yep...might be a huge difference in current strategies   Goodwin V Mitchell

Hopefully Simon's topped up on those 'learnings' 

Yeah no comparison really - Goodwin a premiership coach with a 58% win record vs Mitchell a rookie coach, yet to coach finals and with a 38% win record.

I recall we beat Hawthorn 93-38 earlier this year.

Edited by old55
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 30/06/2024 at 09:29, picket fence said:

Check out Jeffo's set shot routine! calm, composed,methodical and accurate!

Actually, he always gets too close to the man on the mark and kicks the ball too high 

He is still a work in progress and may be a decent player in years to come but he is nowhere near ready for AFL football this year IMHO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What’s a phone book?

Jokes. It’s like the Melways… museum piece 😁

Seriously, we have way more props than we do people to wave them. And we wanna be a huge spectacle at every single match. We have a great rep and we wanna maintain the standard. 👍🏽❤️💙

It's a new invention!

It's a book you can make calls, take pics and do SMS

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OhMyDees said:

Not going on Sunday….

Not because I’m an armchair critic waiting for the next 9 games to be a Optus but I’m still recovering from foot surgery. 

God I hope we get some percentage. I feel like if we’re going to make the 8 we’ll need it in a big way.

Please upload your medical certificate.

• Haha 7
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Petty out for milkshake

Hopefully Petty gets up, even though we were all screaming for him to be dropped a couple of week back.

When JVR is in the ruck or on the bench we'll only have Turner as a tall forward which will mean McGovern and Barrass will mark everything.

Actually, if Petty is out, do they look at T Mac up forward and Tomlinson retained down back?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Hopefully Petty gets up, even though we were all screaming for him to be dropped a couple of week back.

When JVR is in the ruck or on the bench we'll only have Turner as a tall forward which will mean McGovern and Barrass will mark everything.

Actually, if Petty is out, do they look at T Mac up forward and Tomlinson retained down back?

Play a smaller mobile forward line and go in lower they rebounded far to easily last time with no forward pressure 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Play a smaller mobile forward line and go in lower they rebounded far to easily last time with no forward pressure 

Agree, but requires more poise coming out of half back towards the arc.  A few a too slap-it-on-boot happy. 

Is this just us devoid of necessary skill, or just poor coaching..  by whoever is in  charge of this area ? We seem very unconvincing when we switch back towards the corridor as we get closer to goal.  Is this bad habit footy or lack of practice ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I personally wouldn't move T Mac as he is playing well and is a confidence player and I wouldn't mess with that. but maybe they will.

We were too tall last week imo so I think one less tall and someone like Melksham to provide a marking target would work. Turner, JVR, Fritsch, Melk is a decent set up. We would need to not bomb it in though

Sounded from Goody's presser that Petty might miss. Which is bloody typical, whenever he shows anything his body breaks down

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Goody gave nothing directly at the presser today re team selection however reading between the Goody lines, it sounds like:

In - Salem, Bowey, Melk

Out - Petty (inj), ??

normally is a newbie was to debut they would have mentioned it so I am guessing no Jeffo. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BScotti said:

Goody gave nothing directly at the presser today re team selection however reading between the Goody lines, it sounds like:

In - Salem, Bowey, Melk

Out - Petty (inj), ??

normally is a newbie was to debut they would have mentioned it so I am guessing no Jeffo. 

I watched his presser too - I'm not sure on Melk, I got the sense the best thing by Melk could be to start him in the 2nds.

Petty sounds the most in doubt but he said that his fitness test will come on Saturday so he could very well get up.

The coaching group sounds like they've had a good week and I've got the impression they'll be really prepared for whatever West Coast brings. Ideally if the Eagles start to wilt, we should try and get a percentage boost to help our top 8 chances. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I watched his presser too - I'm not sure on Melk, I got the sense the best thing by Melk could be to start him in the 2nds.

Petty sounds the most in doubt but he said that his fitness test will come on Saturday so he could very well get up.

The coaching group sounds like they've had a good week and I've got the impression they'll be really prepared for whatever West Coast brings. Ideally if the Eagles start to wilt, we should try and get a percentage boost to help our top 8 chances. 

Why? Why is that the best thing for him?

He’s ready for the firsts, we need him in the firsts. The whole Gotta come back through Casey thing shouldn’t have to apply to everyone.

I believe bringing him straight back in will bolster his confidence, which is already very high. It’s a show of faith. Putting him in the reserves has the risk of eroding his confidence, and confidence is gold. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Why? Why is that the best thing for him?

He’s ready for the firsts, we need him in the firsts. The whole Gotta come back through Casey thing shouldn’t have to apply to everyone.

I believe bringing him straight back in will bolster his confidence, which is already very high. It’s a show of faith. Putting him in the reserves has the risk of eroding his confidence, and confidence is gold. 

I'm only trying to interpret the way Goodwin said it. I think what Goodwin meant was bringing Jake straight into the senior side might not be the best thing for him as opposed to finding form in the seconds first. I honestly don't mind what they do, but I didn't get the impression from Goodwin that it's a forgone conclusion he goes straight back in. 

• Like 2

I think the main thing with Melk is too give him a game in the Magoo's.

If he shows something during the game bring him off at half time for next week.

Let's be sensible with this and respect his comeback appropriately.

Training and rehab form different to game day situations/intensity.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I'm only trying to interpret the way Goodwin said it. I think what Goodwin meant was bringing Jake straight into the senior side might not be the best thing for him as opposed to finding form in the seconds first. I honestly don't mind what they do, but I didn't get the impression from Goodwin that it's a forgone conclusion he goes straight back in. 

I suggest you get a phd in dolphin language before embarking on anything harder @At the break of Gawn.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

fantastic to see him straight back in, bummer to lose petty after a pretty solid couple of games where he looked like he was getting his touch

interesting to see if it's fullarton or milkshake into the 22 to replace petty

I feel we would have played Petty in 2022 and probably 2023, likewise we'd have played Bowey last week too.

I can't know for sure, but it does seem we won't expect guys to play through injury as they have done previously. 

• Like 3