CASEY: RD 13 vs North Melbourne VFL

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

personally i'd be bringing him in for bowey this week, who i thought was below average last nite and has been for some time now

That sounds fair to me. I like Bowey, but he's doing very little at the moment.

I also like the idea proposed by several posters on here of trying McVee in the middle. Early in his career to make the move, I know, but he has everything we don't have in the centre square: beautiful sideways movement, composure combined with good disposal and good decision making, and speed. 

Edited by The Taciturn Demon
  • Like 5
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I wonder when posters say things like "petty/oliver/fritta etc.) need to go back to the 2nds", if they have any idea that there is zero talent in the ressies ready to replace them?

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

Yes its dire. Billings, Fullarton, AMW, McAdam, Laurie should all be knocking on the door but are all scratchy at best.

The standard is very, very ordinary @Cranky Franky. I'm not sure a highly tuned footballer would derive much benefit from running around at Casey quite frankly. Few can hit a target down there as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

IMO, AMW needed to improve his decision making and skill execution coming out of the back 50 while a VFL report mentioned he's working on the defensive side of his game. I thought he was much improved in all aspects and looked far more calm and measured. Might need to plug away for a few more weeks but if Bowey continues to struggle I wouldn't be upset to see him get a crack at seniors.

Jefferson has a lot of tools to work with and will get games next year. His marking is a weapon but he can follow up at ground level which is important for a key tall these days.

Was disappointed in all of McAdam, Sestan, Woewodin and Billings though in Woewodins defence he may have spent time off in the second half and I missed parts of the 3rd quarter.

Laurie does some excellent things then let's himself down with some dumb footy like free kicks against or poor kicking, he's better than that but he won't crack into the senior team on that form. Particularly with Tholstrup making a good fist of his second game.

Kentfield just finding his feet and will reserve judgement for a few more weeks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'm not entirely sure if Will Varrell will make it.

He struggles to hold his marks and there were certainly moments there in the last quarter he should have held onto a few grabs that came directly to him but soft hands meant he dropped way too many.

If you're not at least a solid enough mark as a ruckman then you're going to struggle at the elite level. 

Grundy’s at worst 2nd in the AA ruck race with 2.4 marks a game. Verrall doesn’t have to be a marking player as long as he’s not being outmarked. But as an undersized ruck he needs to be dominating at ground level sooner rather than later at VFL. 

More tackles, more handballs, more throwing his body around at stoppages. 

But there’s still enough to like for a second year kid.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

I also like the idea proposed by several posters on here of trying McVee in the middle. Early in his career to make the move, I know, but he has everything we don't have in the centre square: beautiful sideways movement, composure combined with good disposal and good decision making, and speed. 

yeah i'm anti redeploying our best - only? - lockdown defender into the middle

although bringing in amw would free it up to try but...my preference is not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

Duck your head for the incoming...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

What's the knock on Moniz-Wakefield? First time I've had a proper chance to sit down and watch Casey this year and he looks above average. No guarantee anyone translates VFL form into AFL performance, but I think we're miles from a settled, confident AFL side forcing good Casey players to wait their turn. 

Transition defending/work rate/positioning and at times ball use.

He gets caught in between the lines defending at times.

But his contested ball winning and run and carry were both A+ today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Nascent said:

IMO, AMW needed to improve his decision making and skill execution coming out of the back 50 while a VFL report mentioned he's working on the defensive side of his game. I thought he was much improved in all aspects and looked far more calm and measured. Might need to plug away for a few more weeks but if Bowey continues to struggle I wouldn't be upset to see him get a crack at seniors.

Jefferson has a lot of tools to work with and will get games next year. His marking is a weapon but he can follow up at ground level which is important for a key tall these days.

Was disappointed in all of McAdam, Sestan, Woewodin and Billings though in Woewodins defence he may have spent time off in the second half and I missed parts of the 3rd quarter.

Laurie does some excellent things then let's himself down with some dumb footy like free kicks against or poor kicking, he's better than that but he won't crack into the senior team on that form. Particularly with Tholstrup making a good fist of his second game.

Kentfield just finding his feet and will reserve judgement for a few more weeks.

Kentfield doing a mini pre season at Casey the amount of running from the forward line to the backline and then the forward line again, I bet he's confused at what position he is playing...

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Transition defending/work rate/positioning and at times ball use.

He gets caught in between the lines defending at times.

But his contested ball winning and run and carry were both A+ today. 

Pretty well spot on with that opinion. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

And have someone like OMac at BrisVegas run through him and he ends up in a wheel chair?

What???? Are you supposing ? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Jefferson has 17.11 goals in his last 7 games in a poor team 

certainly trending the right direction

That’s good to hear. My eye tells me he’ll be a very good forward for us. Came in built like a twig. But has real athleticism about him, and looks to have good touch. I don’t watch the VFL anymore as I don’t get time, but on the games I’ve seen this year - Jefferson has really stood out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Adelaide fleeced us getting a second round pick for him

Fleeced?  For what may be pick 50ish…. Which would get us…. ??? Lucky to get a one legged tap dancer at that pick.

If he plays a few good games her has outperformed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I haven't seen anything from Varrell that suggest he's got those athletes attributes that he can bring to AFL level. 

I have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

I was present today and AMW can do nothing more to earn an AFL debut - and it wasn't just today - the so-called "body of work" is now there. Woey took a heavy hit and that may explain his reduced output in the second half.

A much inproved performance by Jefferson today but I am not sure I would throw him in against the Lions. Another good VFL performance next and perhaps he could be considered for the Eagles at the G.........perhaps.

Edited by Hawk the Demon
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

No one really starring

McAdam disappoints me as does Billings.

Jefferson.. doing enough

AMW.... not sure what we are trying to do with him

Me neither.  If he can't get a look in ahead of Bowey coming back from such a long lay off and mostly struggling since returning, then why is he being constantly groomed as a rebounding HB?

Never gets a call up so what's the point of this.

Play him as a small crumbing / pressure forward for just a few matches and see what he can bring.  Casey's done and dusted for this season anyways.  What's to lose.

If it doesn't work who cares.  Send him down back again.

if it does work and he starts firing, who knows.  You might be able to bring him in for a struggling Chandler up forward and find someone who can hit the scoreboard a little more often plus bring similar pressure i50 to Chin.  Or better.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Me neither.  If he can't get a look in ahead of Bowey coming back from such a long lay off and mostly struggling since returning, then why is he being constantly groomed as a rebounding HB?

Never gets a call up so what's the point of this.

Play him as a small crumbing / pressure forward for just a few matches and see what he can bring.  Casey's done and dusted for this season anyways.  What's to lose.

If it doesn't work who cares.  Send him down back again.

if it does work and he starts firing, who knows.  You might be able to bring him in for a struggling Chandler up forward and find someone who can hit the scoreboard a little more often plus bring similar pressure i50 to Chin.  Or better.

'never' is forever - i would assume he hasn't come in yet cos he's learning a new role

he's been significantly more impactful playing as a back than he ever was as a forward

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Jefferson and AMW any chance of getting debuts?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1