PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

No change. 

Armchair selector me says Woey Jnr into the 22, Windsor sub but I don’t think that will actually happen.

If Petty isn’t hurt he plays. The only one who might push him out is Disco and he’s not fit yet. 

Maybe Tomlinson out for Howes if they think Freo is too mobile but I see the club just dropped a TMac x Tommo highlights tape so you think he’d be stiff.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

We could bring Woey in for a full game and make Windsor the sub, to give him a smaller game load ahead of KB.

I think that makes sense Jaded. We won't lose much in terms of pace with Woey Jnr, plus he gets rewarded for good form,  plus we manage Leb's minutes. 

Leb could be a real impact player if injected at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd qtr.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I think that makes sense Jaded. We won't lose much in terms of pace with Woey Jnr, plus he gets rewarded for good form,  plus we manage Leb's minutes. 

Leb could be a real impact player if injected at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd qtr.

You suspect Windsor would relish playing 30-40 mins on a dry deck up in the Alice.

I thought Taj was unlucky to start as sub (again), he did seem to be getting better with better minutes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I agree, no change.  But the clock is ticking for Petty and McAdam. 

Petty looked to have turned the corner in the second half v Geelong but has barely touched the footy since.  He clunked one about 5 minutes in yesterday and I thought he might be on, sadly not.

Re McAdam I agree he needs a block of games but it's a big ask to carry two forwards who not only don't hit the scoreboard but barely touch the leather. 

Goody rarely makes changes after a good win or at least to the barest minimum.

And it was a good win. Sure it was scrappy but we really walloped them in the second half and if not for the junk goals in the last would have been a ten goal win. 

All this after two losses, the last one being very embarrassing. So kudos for the fightback and especially getting back into the top four.

Ideally we could be sitting second had we not been so flat footed in the Carlton first quarter and goodness knows what happened v the eagles. Maybe we should have got to Perth sooner. Who knows.

So the only likely change is Petty from possible injury. Who would replace him though. McAdam will stay for the same reason. We don't have too many choices.

The only likely change is Fullarton for an injured Petty and I'd suggest resting the Duke. Maybe revisit the Kolt. Or give Woey the role and have the Kolt as sub?

I know we kicked 100 points v st Kilda but I still worry about our fwd line.

How is Disco travelling...is he still injured? I wouldn't mind seeing him given another chance up fwd.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Im a Salem potter and for now still think he leaves a lot to be desired. I loved he had a great game. He has those now and then. It’ll take more than beating up on a uncompetitive side to change my mind - but it’s just my opinion. Let’s see how he goes in the next 2. 

I hope he can play every game from now to the GF. Fitness issues are his Achilles heel unfortunately and always seems to provide the backdrop to his form issues.

If Windsor needs a rest why not just give him the week off training?

• Shocked 1

Grass is relatively spongey at Alice. Will take a bit out of the players and if anything favour Freo who play on similar surfaces. If we had the money as a club I would have been over there Tuesday for afternoon training but that was not to be.

Need to kick accurately and win the midfield battle.

It's a 50/50 game.

Had it been in Melbourne (Docklands probably) it would have been a shade under 60/40 our way.

It will be a tough game but one we need to win.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, loges said:

If Windsor needs a rest why not just give him the week off training?

Because consistent training is needed to keep fitness levels high and to recover. He could go to lighter duties but if a young player can’t train he’s unlikely to perform. 

If he needs a rest the options are either a proper week off entirely or the sub.

• Thinking 1

8 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

'Politely' drop Petty 

Like it - but he probably won't be

We have zero depth and he's in the top 26-28 for rotations

So many people who post on here, do not listen to Goodwin’s Press Conference’s mid week and after the game. 
there are certain things that are not going to happen 

Petty to Play in Defence 

TMac to play forward

McAdam will be persevered with for the near future. He needs Game time. 

• Like 5

This will be a really challenging game for us because Freo are capable of matching us or beating us out of the middle, we will have to score a lot from pressure, turnover and transition in order to win, which we're capable of doing but it'll be a grind, especially in conditions that might be humid and slippery again. 

We're Freo's bunnies, so I don't have much hope for a win in this match. Funnily enough I'm glad we're not playing them at the G. They absolutely have the wood over us there.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, Chook said:

We're Freo's bunnies,

Funnily enough I'm glad we're not playing them at the G. They absolutely have the wood over us there.

Every time I go to the Gee to watch freo v Dee’s

at least one quarter we stuff up completely.  So for free to win I need to go.  At home this weekend 

Still grasping onto the fact that Freo have never played in Alice Springs. Has to be a factor . MCG has no fear for them. Guess players like Jackson and O'Meara have been there but as a collective this has to be a disadvantage. Alternatively,  we are very comfortable there and conditions will be good unlike the narrow debacle last year. Apart from our first three losses Traegear Park, when we were basically a basket, case our record is sound. Whilst it was only StKilda there were some signs that we might be turning the corner. Huge fortnight for the Demons. After the bye the next 5 matches are eminently winnable.  How good would it be to get eight straight.! 🤞

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Club's industry report suggests Petty may be in doubt for this weekend. On the other hand Turner should be available.

Even if Petty is available, I think I'd prefer Turner anyway.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1566112/injury-report

TURNER AINT A FORWARD JEFFO OR BROWN ARE!

• Thinking 1

On 26/05/2024 at 22:09, spirit of norm smith said:

Like to see AMW debut next week. He deserves a go.  Give him a chance v Freo.  

in what position??

On 27/05/2024 at 00:56, Travy14 said:

This is a big game!  Freo are a good team without being outstanding.  very defensive and if its hot and sweaty in Alice it could be very low scoring.

Id say no change at this stage but if it does look like being a slippery ball kind of game, maybe a smaller fwd line is a good idea.  

warm and dry - last year was an absolutely freak anomaly.  Coldest day ever recorded and record rain ifor a June day

3 minutes ago, monoccular said:

warm and dry - last year was an absolutely freak anomaly.  Coldest day ever recorded and record rain ifor a June day

It was a very memorable experience, but I lived our trip to the NT following that.

5 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Grass is relatively spongey at Alice. Will take a bit out of the players and if anything favour Freo who play on similar surfaces. If we had the money as a club I would have been over there Tuesday for afternoon training but that was not to be.

Need to kick accurately and win the midfield battle.

It's a 50/50 game.

Had it been in Melbourne (Docklands probably) it would have been a shade under 60/40 our way.

It will be a tough game but one we need to win.

Spongy grass is going to take it out of them!!!

FGS they’re highly paid professional footballers 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, monoccular said:

in what position??

Not so much the weather,  its always sweaty.  in the past players have worn sweat bands ect.  

On 27/05/2024 at 16:34, jumbo returns said:

No change

Petty will get up

You'd think it's his last chance if he doesn't show anything this week

I can’t see petty being dropped if fit. At worst he can be moved down back

8 hours ago, Travy14 said:

Not so much the weather,  its always sweaty.  in the past players have worn sweat bands ect.  

We arnt playing in Darwin. Alice weather will be dry with no humidity 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1