PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Allow me to momentarily jump ahead one round of the pre-game thread. 

According to “Footy Feeds” on the AFL site, Pies will not have Cox, Mihocek, De Goey or Richard’s for King’s Birthday. Add these names to their already extensive list  

Ok, back to matters at hand…

We can't afford to have the mindset heading into that game like we did with West Coast thinking it will be an easy win. Yes... the Pies have many injuries, but they'll still be thinking they are a good chance of beating us if they pressure us all day. Our win/loss record to the Pies is an embarrassment! 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

We owe EVERY team a beating!

I would politely drop Petty (inj) and bring in Fullerton. I would give Sparrow one last chance... Poor guy is having a downer right now. BUT still adds value. Heck he had 15 possessions last week and an AF score of 79.

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Where Demons Dare said:

We can't afford to have the mindset heading into that game like we did with West Coast thinking it will be an easy win. Yes... the Pies have many injuries, but they'll still be thinking they are a good chance of beating us if they pressure us all day. Our win/loss record to the Pies is an embarrassment! 

Of course. In fact I’d rather play a stronger Pies to get a real sense of where we’re at (and in the event of a win, not have to tolerate their supporters’ excuses).

I don’t believe there’s such a thing as an easy win in the current competition. 

Nor do I relish or celebrate injuries. Not even in the case of Mason Cox*. 

*I had to sum up a lot of adult-strength to type that sentence. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

AMW has been in sizzling VFL form.

33 disposals against the Zebras, 28 the Lions the weeks before, 19 against the Blues and 30 the week earlier.

A few more of these and he will be seriously  knocking on the door for a go at AFL level - if not already. Although I think the coaches will want to see an extended block of sizzling VFL form.

Have to give AMZ a pat on the back for his application to the task. Keep it up.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

On 27/05/2024 at 07:31, Skuit said:

The first quarter against Adelaide circa 2018 stands out as perfect footy conditions and we romped the Crows. Keep Clarry shaded and all is grand. 

Clarry to HFF playing under the tree?

• Haha 4
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, David-Demon said:

I would politely drop Petty (inj) and bring in Fullerton. I would give Sparrow one last chance... Poor guy is having a downer right now. BUT still adds value. Heck he had 15 possessions last week and an AF score of 79.

'Politely' drop Petty 

Like it - but he probably won't be

We have zero depth and he's in the top 26-28 for rotations

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 18:07, whatwhat say what said:

No change if no injury

Otherwise, it’s Jefferson for Petty

Petty got zero possesions in over a half with Casey a month or so ago and result, promoted back to the ones. Petty gets 3 lousy possesions, before being subbed out last week. JEFFO kicks 5 and Brown also among the goals. Petty forward is a disaster save for one performance. If fit he plays in the Backline or at Casey, but this forward thing is  BUST! Jeffo or Brown must be the way to go!

Edited by picket fence
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Petty got zero possesions in over a half with Casey a month or so ago and result, promoted back to the ones. Petty gets 3 lousy possesions, before being subbed out last week. JEFFO kicks 5 and Brown also among the goals. Petty forward is a disaster save for one performance. If fit he plays in the Backline or at Casey, but this forward thing is  BUST! Jeffo or Brown must be the way to go!

no

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/05/2024 at 18:02, gs77 said:

If Petty doesn't get up, does Jeffo get a look in after his bag of 5 today? 

It is time for Jeffo to get a taste - and a good park in which to gobble goals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Of course. In fact I’d rather play a stronger Pies to get a real sense of where we’re at (and in the event of a win, not have to tolerate their supporters’ excuses).

I don’t believe there’s such a thing as an easy win in the current competition. 

Nor do I relish or celebrate injuries. Not even in the case of Mason Cox*. 

*I had to sum up a lot of adult-strength to type that sentence. 

You shouldn't have summed up the strength. He is one guy I really dislike - not least, because his physical tactics (in particular the use of his knee  - how ironic) have real potential to cause injuries.

Edited by Ollie fan
  • Clap 1

15 hours ago, binman said:

We did win by six goals after all.

14 hours ago, old dee said:

Should have been 9.

St Kilda scored the last three goals in junk time when we'd parked Gawn, Salem, Petracca and Viney on the bench. With Petty already subbed out, our tallest forward was Fritsch (or McAdam - I don't know how tall he is). It's not just that four of our best were off, but also the message that would have sent to the remainder that we had switched off.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

St Kilda scored the last three goals in junk time when we'd parked Gawn, Salem, Petracca and Viney on the bench. With Petty already subbed out, our tallest forward was Fritsch (or McAdam - I don't know how tall he is). It's not just that four of our best were off, but also the message that would have sent to the remainder that we had switched off.

Could easily have been 9 or 10 if we kicked straighter, but then I'll take the 4 points and the percentage that got us to 4th.

On 26/05/2024 at 21:39, monoccular said:

I heard someone in the crowd at the game also saying Windsor needs a rest.   Do you mean a Bex, a cuppa tea and a good lie down?   If what is meant is playing at Casey that is a nonsense.  A week off doing tapestry?  Will not happen.

If Petty is out injured - IMO BBB is cooked, Jeffo is too raw though just starting to hit his straps at the lower level, Turner still injured (again), Shack just non competitive, FullArton who knows what, where, why - no good answer for another tall forward option.   How did Verrell go today?

Windsor does need a rest — VFL is not even similar to AFL level in terms of laid BUT I think he needs an actual week-off rest.. run has dipped considerably & he’s very slight without the Stretch-Flower-sinew so unsure if bikkies are needed but the rest I think couldn’t hurt.. he’ll still need to run his legs X KM’s but could do without the body contact & physicality but of course we’re all guessing!

Hunter in was absolutely perfect — as stated before game; his IQ, defensive running is INTEGRAL — Those inc on podcast saying he is cooked from VFL form is absolutely ridiculous & now proven such. 

I’d LOVE to see Jeffo come-in but can’t see it yet, not due to frame etc but wanna see him back-up with another 3-5 this week then he can be a serious consideration! 

Turner unlikely, so no change for mine unless you go AMW for Windsor!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

I am very, very happy to be proven wrong but I dont think Jeffo has the tank for AFL yet.  A couple of good games in the VFL isnt enough for an up-and-comer.  Petty gets viewed differently as he has over 70 games under his belt.  He (Petty) is in horrific form though and should be dropped if crook.

I really don't think Brown is the answer, I'd like us to use the opportunity to bring in someone with upside or potential.  We can't have McAdam and another forward target who can't run or kick more than 40m in the side.  Bring in Sestan or Kolt for mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Windsor does need a rest — VFL is not even similar to AFL level in terms of laid BUT I think he needs an actual week-off rest.. run has dipped considerably & he’s very slight without the Stretch-Flower-sinew so unsure if bikkies are needed but the rest I think couldn’t hurt.. he’ll still need to run his legs X KM’s but could do without the body contact & physicality but of course we’re all guessing!

Hunter in was absolutely perfect — as stated before game; his IQ, defensive running is INTEGRAL — Those inc on podcast saying he is cooked from VFL form is absolutely ridiculous & now proven such. 

I’d LOVE to see Jeffo come-in but can’t see it yet, not due to frame etc but wanna see him back-up with another 3-5 this week then he can be a serious consideration! 

Completely agree on Windsor needing a rest, but Goody doesn't like changing winning teams and our fitness staff don't seem to love resting players.  I thought Hunter was good, though lazy.  You can get away with that against the Saints, not teams that have a go.

• Love 1
  • Clap 1

I think with Petty there's still a chance he'll find form and make a considerable difference. It looks a long way off but the FD is taking a gamble that it will click and with any luck it does at the right time. 

Like it or not, my guess is they'll stick with this until Petty is legitimately injured to the extent he can't play, or it's evident we're not a genuine chance to win the flag. Whichever comes soonest (hopefully neither)!  

8 minutes ago, D Rev said:

Completely agree on Windsor needing a rest, but Goody doesn't like changing winning teams and our fitness staff don't seem to love resting players.  I thought Hunter was good, though lazy.  You can get away with that against the Saints, not teams that have a go.

Yep agreed.

10 minutes ago, D Rev said:

I think it's fair to say that our high performance strategy does not utilise:

• resting/managing players 
  • utilising the VFL as a means for players to find form, whether returning from injury or just not playing well 

Re: Hunter, I thought he was very good. Found himself in good places, defenisvely often, offensively some and had some deft touches, slight handballs and knock ons that opened up play. He's a smart player and probably didn't (and didn't need to) extend himself too much in the VFL).  

• Like 4

I think we actually cant afford to rest Windsor. we need his speed and without it i worry we are too slow. Even with few possessions his ability to close space and pressure is fantastic and just adds something different (like kossie to forward line - other teams panic even if kossie doesn't get a possession). I would if anything reduce his game time in games to 'manage him'.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Windsor is the only player in the top 20 draft picks to have played every game this year. Definitely time for the young fella to get a rest. I thought his game against the Saints showed that. Langdon and Hunter can take care of the wings. Maybe take Caleb to Alice for the experience but Definitely don't play at Casey. Bring him back ready and raring to go for the King's Birthday clash then, along with the rest of the team, he greats another break before the North game.

• Like 2

McAdam is going to have a breakout soon. Kossie loves having him in the side and hopefully the coaches will develop that in a positive manner. At the moment our forwards need some choreography, we looked better in the game where Petty was higher up the field.  I suspect Fritta is getting a bit cramped.   

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

On 26/05/2024 at 21:39, monoccular said:

I heard someone in the crowd at the game also saying Windsor needs a rest.   Do you mean a Bex, a cuppa tea and a good lie down?   If what is meant is playing at Casey that is a nonsense.  A week off doing tapestry?  Will not happen.

If Petty is out injured - IMO BBB is cooked, Jeffo is too raw though just starting to hit his straps at the lower level, Turner still injured (again), Shack just non competitive, FullArton who knows what, where, why - no good answer for another tall forward option.   How did Verrell go today?

The ball barely got near Leb.  The bulk of the game was played on Hunter's wing.  It was interesting to see how disciplined he was keeping his shape on his wing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Windsor is the only player in the top 20 draft picks to have played every game this year. Definitely time for the young fella to get a rest. I thought his game against the Saints showed that. Langdon and Hunter can take care of the wings. Maybe take Caleb to Alice for the experience but Definitely don't play at Casey. Bring him back ready and raring to go for the King's Birthday clash then, along with the rest of the team, he greats another break before the North game.

see my post below.  the ball was barely on his wing