POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

Ross Lyon should be banned from coaching in the AFL. 

So he’s an improvement on the coach that they appointed and then sacked?

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Viney excellent. Mr dependable 

I’ll see your Mr Dependable, and raise you to Mr Invincible. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good win. Nothing to get overly excited about (unless you’re Steven May) but a game that was completely dominated by us and never really in doubt. 
Saints are rubbish but you only need to be off by about 5% to get a hiding from other teams this year. The gap between 2nd and 16th on any given day is as small as I can remember.

Individual comments: Gawn not slowing down one iota, getting better if anything. Tomlinson great (but gives away a lot of needless frees), Tmac a revelation. Hunter is a million times better than Billings. Midfield looks much better with Kosi and ANB getting meaningful minutes. 

Also good to get to 100 without any real influence from Petty, McAdam and just a cameo from Fritsch.

7-4 is a good spot to be. It’s anyone’s flag this year. 

• Like 16

Windsor looks like he needs a rest, so a full game for Woewodin next week 

Maybe Jefferson in for McAdam

ANB has been good at centre bounces

Van Rooyen was better this week still young so lots to like and to build on.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Nibbla 27 @ 74%, 12 contested and 2 goal assists, 11 centre bounce attendances, he’s above a role player now 👏🏻 

would’ve been nice to win by 50 instead of 38 but we’d put the cue in the rack and benched Max and a couple of others. Did what we needed to do and comfortably beat a weak opponent.

Am I convinced we’re back? No but it’s better than last week. 

Like all these comments , ANB is getting undroppable 50 points would have been very nice and totally agree with your last 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Good win. Nothing to get overly excited about (unless you’re Steven May) but a game that was completely dominated by us and never really in doubt. 
Saints are rubbish but you only need to be off by about 5% to get a hiding from other teams this year. The gap between 2nd and 16th on any given day is as small as I can remember.

Individual comments: Gawn not slowing down one iota, getting better if anything. Tomlinson great (but gives away a lot of needless frees), Tmac a revelation. Hunter is a million times better than Billings. Midfield looks much better with Kosi and ANB getting meaningful minutes. 

Also good to get to 100 without any real influence from Petty, McAdam and just a cameo from Fritsch.

7-4 is a good spot to be. It’s anyone’s flag this year. 

How long can they keep M King? Surely he'll look for greener pastures in the near future, maybe some red and blue pastures? 😏😏😏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

We're so lucky to have Max. I lived overseas for 20 years and never saw Dean Cox play. The only other ruckman I'd rate alongside him is Simon Madden who was a far better forward.  

Jimmy Stynes would go close as would Jeff White.

We have been lucky.

But Max is one of the all time greats of the game.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Jimmy Stynes would go close as would Jeff White.

We have been lucky.

But Max is one of the all time greats of the game.

Yup. I watched Jim play up until the early nineties but never saw Jeff White either. 

13 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Nothing to get overly excited about

Beg to differ.

It puts us not just back in the eight but top four again.

Had we lost it would be a disaster.

Scrappy at times but if we had not conceded junk time goals in the end it would have been a drubbing.

• Like 2

Had a family lunch, so had to watch the game as live. Just finished it.

Great win.

Haven't read this thread yet.

I assume posters, even the ones convinced we are hopeless, have given us full credit and not putting some sort of asterisk on it.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Fourth on the ladder close to the halfway part of the season with our toughest games and schedule behind us.

Go redleggers.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

This mirrors every other game against poo teams like Richmond and Hawthorn. One half of both sides making our eyes bleed, before we cruise away in the second half and win by plenty. Even the West Coast game wasn’t that different except we forgot the skipping away bit.

Love the Langdon to half forward move. He killed it. Huge vote of confidence in Windsor to play the opposite wing to Hunter.

I will legit cry the day Max pulls the pin.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

Great win.

I assume posters, even the ones convinced we are hopeless, have given us full credit and not putting some sort of asterisk on it.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Fourth on the ladder close to the halfway part of the season with our toughest games and schedule behind us.

Go redleggers.

the hanrahan's will declare otherwise, of course

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Great win.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Go redleggers.

We still have two games against the old enemy, must win at least one 🤞🏻.

30 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Are you kidding didn’t you see them on the game day thread, when Saints flooded the back half and just nullified the game in the second quarter. They went quiet for most of the second half but were back posting late with us giving up late goals when the game was done.  Ffs you just can’t help some of these posters

no, i was at the game, so no interest in match day threads - i only go on those when i'm watching on the teev

• Like 2

1 minute ago, binman said:

Great win.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Go redleggers.

Not sure about the fixture point. 

We still have Collingwood twice, Fremantle twice, GWS, Port, Essendon, Brisbane in Brisbane, GC on the GC and the Dogs at Marvel.

Still four more interstate trips (Essendon by contrast have just two).

We’ve done well enough given the early travel but there are plenty of challenges on our fixture still to come. 

• Like 12

It stalled out in the late second quarter but the impressive thing was showing a propensity to move the ball with some flair and dash.

A proper commitment to midfield Nibbler, midfield Kozzie and the big one Langdon high half forward. We finally got a midfield that was prepared to run and make options! 

Seems like we finally got the drive we’ve been wanting from Salem, Rivers, Bowser and McVee.

Looks like we abandoned dropping a half back in to a nothing spot and actually got them up around the ball  thank god.

A whole lot to work on and St Kilda were truly dreadful but the plan was spot on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spargonicus said:

Salem was the Supreme Architect this afternoon. Back to his precise, poised, best. We are an 80% better team with him playing like that. Very impressive.

and the Saints paid him no respect and left him unmarked.

• Like 1

My main takeaway was Kozzie please more on ball and centre bounces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clayton spirit said:

This win gives me confidence we're still a contender. Liked having Salem back in his old role given he'd been pushed into the middle with an extra defender in the side. Defensive unit had the right balance, Tommo is a great Lever insurance but probably just that. Hunter had a strong return showing. Gawn is still scarily dominant even with an injury niggle. On the other hand, don't know how the Saints have managed to go downhill this much in such a short time.

Would love to have gotten a bit more out of Petty and McAdam, but ok to persist with this forward set up until Melksham comes into the fold. Langdon's got a bit of unutilised forward craft. 

Persist? With Petty who is NOT forward? Nar play Jeffo, see what he offers!!😇

• Like 1