Time to Blood Jeffo

On 20/05/2024 at 09:07, Young Angus said:

Get him out there, love that kid, he will just turn into a monster and be better than Harley Reid with proper game time.

Whatever you are on Stop!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, old dee said:

Yeah that comment really was complete BS wasn't it...we should all get on some of that though we'd feel better about where the team is right now.

Still excited about Jeffo...would be more excited if Harley Reid came to Dees in a couple of years though!

• Like 1

If you read this thread through the lens of a small number of people winding up everyone else is actually a good read!  Surely no one seriously wants to bring Jeffo in…

There’s player there… just not quite ready yet.  His two year extension last year shows the club’s faith and hopefully he’s been reassured to build his game and body in the VFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFreeze said:

It also questions the 'premiership window closing' narrative, as we have a great crop of young players ready to make massive developments over the next 3-5 years. He is tracking great, as are a bunch of others. 

I think this comes from the impending retirements of Gawn & May (guessing after 2026 both could potentially retire) and to a lesser extent Viney & TMac.

It doesn't take into account however how much growth we get out of our young brigade like Rivers, McVee, Bowey, Windsor, Pickett, Howes, Tholstrup, Verrall, Jefferson, JVR, Jed Adams & K Brown for example. Also the potential addition of Kalani White end of 2025.

The key will be our list management and the free agent/trade opportunities. If we want to keep the window open we will have to be aggressive at the trade table and fill the holes by bringing in ready made talent. For example, if Luke Davies-Uniacke is keen to depart North I would be really disappointed if we aren't going hard at him given we lost Brayshaw. This would then allow us to play Trac forward a lot more, as LDU is a fantastic centre bounce midfielder.

Obviously a gun key forward would be ideal as well, but I just don't know who is available. If Richmond go the rebuild we could look at Tom Lynch, but his injury issues put a huge question mark over him.

• Like 2

No way. Let him play the year out in the VFL. He needs to be banging the door down and demand selection not have it gifted to him in desperation. Selection integrity is not something you meddle with. Its detrimental to culture

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

No way. Let him play the year out in the VFL. He needs to be banging the door down and demand selection not have it gifted to him in desperation. Selection integrity is not something you meddle with. Its detrimental to culture

9 hours ago, Young Angus said:

I agree, he needs to really be screaming for a spot through performance otherwise what's the point...I'm just excited for when that happens.

As I recall JVR was named in the 25 a couple of times late 2022; some were calling for him to debut but the FD wisely held him back.   And he went on to have an really excellent debut year 2023.

• Like 6

On 19/05/2024 at 21:08, picket fence said:

No other comment needed, BBB Cooked, Petty, pathetic forward! Premiership window closed, play him for rest of the year, lets see what he's got!

If “Jeffo” can put together a big month in the VFL constantly kicking 3-4 goals setting up a few and taking marks and working hard.

Sure. 

But this ain’t the Roo’s era, we aren’t getting games into kids. Get a grip and strap I for a bumpy ride to rd23.

• Like 4

On 22/05/2024 at 12:37, Travy14 said:

20 years old and not even 2 seasons in.  The kid isn't ready, and doesn't have the build like JVR to hold up at AFL level.

Also looks like Jefferson still needs to get his running levels up to the mark.

He’s had quarters or halves of footy where you see the talent that made him a first round prospect, but then goes missing. A lot of it looks like he doesn’t quite have the tank to run and present repeatedly for an extended period of time.

That’s going to be a problem at AFL level if he gets promoted now. Maybe a late season game or two if we can afford to give him a taste, but I reckon he needs at least one more preseason to get ready.

I also get that the Giants have gone a different route with Cadman in playing him regularly and early, but he was more developed physically than Jefferson when drafted and their forward line can better accommodate him (as Cadman develops) at the moment as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, monoccular said:

As I recall JVR was named in the 25 a couple of times late 2022; some were calling for him to debut but the FD wisely held him back.   And he went on to have an really excellent debut year 2023.

I remember JVR having some awesome games in the magoos in '22 and there being braying for him to come into the ones (this is when we were just bombing it onto the heads of TMac / BBB) but they kept him out for another pre season - JVR later came out and confirmed he wasn't ready to come in then.

Jeffo should definitely keep working on his tank

• Thanks 1

Kicking the occasional second and third goal as he has this year is far from knocking down the door. Long been an advocate for him to get clear space to work in at the lower level but feel he’s not getting enough looks from our depleted mid stocks. Seston and tholstrop are doing far heavier lifting than I expected (although admirably) and could use a little help. Hoping we address this at next weeks draft and bring in a clearance player to balance the list 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2024 at 10:22, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I actually think it would be detrimental to Jeffo's development to play him in the seniors atm.

He is starting to find consistency at VFL level and kicking goals. Moving up to AFL level is a huge jump up and may kill his confidence. Would rather he keeps kicking bags at VFL for a while.

I will say I'm feeling positive about him long term after watching his last few games. Great mover and a natural forward, just needs to keep building his body and tank. He is too inconsistent throughout games atm.

If he plays loose, continuously, leading and following the two-step space invaders game (first to a large space with defender chasing, second to the nearby 'made' space where the midfielder/flanker has aimed - ball on the way) he could do alright! The Swans do it well, and did so very effectively against the Doggies last night, almost continuously.

There may be the limitations of physical mass with Jeffo but consider that he has the leading skills, the hands and can surprise on a break.

There have been tons of 'good' forward footballers lightly built, few with his height and reach. Hawthorn had a few years ago (eg: Twiggy Dunn ) and Geelong has a couple right now. Check out Cameron, for example. He does the space invaders game well.

Anyway, if we blood Jeffo, good luck, son; it will be a steep curve into someone's 'learnings'.

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Clap 1

Ed Allan who is making his debut for Collingwood was the kid I desperately wanted for the Jefferson pick. 

I was quietly devastated when we overlooked him..

Keen to see how he goes tonight.

• Like 1

Get him out there, love that kid, he will just turn into a monster and be better than Harley Reid with proper game time.

I remember a poster once said that James Jordon was the next Pendlebury.

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ed Allan who is making his debut for Collingwood was the kid I desperately wanted for the Jefferson pick. 

I was quietly devastated when we overlooked him..

Keen to see how he goes tonight.

Remove the father sons and it looks a Barry Crocker of a draft 

19 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I remember a poster once said that James Jordon was the next Pendlebury.

Well,  now, I hope he isn't.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2024 at 09:34, old dee said:

Surely it's ok for Jeffo (aka Young Angus) to blow his own trumpet OD!?

• Love 1

7 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Remove the father sons and it looks a Barry Crocker of a draft 

The draft was less than 18 months ago, with a bunch of those players still under the age of 20 showing plenty of promise. 

• Like 2

Yep absolutely time 5 great goals contested marks, involved can replace, " The Heartbreaker " Petty who aint a forward

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2

Posted (edited)

Young Jeffo needs to maintain the trajectory of his 5 goal performance against Sandy. In order to be considered for a debut this season.

AMW played his best game for Casey too. Cleaned up his disposal and was a very effective re-bounder out of defense. Played some dynamic footy in Casey’s late charge. Now getting plenty of the pill.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 4

Another good game (probably his best?), if he can maintain it for a while yet it'd be exciting to see him get a crack in the back end of the home and away season at senior level

• Clap 1