Twilight Grandfinal

Deano74

I think a twilight Grandfinal would be good, I love night games, and I think the AFL will do it, because they can let off a few fireworks.

Agreed Brocky! I think keep it during the day, but don't do the bastardised version of a night match called a "twilight game". Would be a disgrace to the tradition of the game if it were to happen.

It's very high on their To Do list.

Personally, I don't see why they should change it.

I think it's a great tradition playing the Grand Final on a Saturday afternoon.

Exactly right CB.Unfortunatly I dont think the AFL want to change the time, it is the broadcasters 7 & 10. Personally I think they dont have the right to change it because of the hash theyve made of it this season. I think its a disgrace that there are no live games on 7. Listening to that tool Tony Jones on 927 this morning (who thinks we should move into the 21st century and have a night granny) made me think of all the traditions on Grand Final day that could be lost. Kick of the footy at half time. And the traditional rolling of the ankles. Breakfast and lunch at the pub before the game. I cannot think of one thing that will make it a better spectacle God I hope they dont rip another tradition out of the soul of Aussie Rules!

It's very high on their To Do list.

Personally, I don't see why they should change it.

If we stuck to tradition, it would still be the VFL, There would be no southern stand at the G, We would Still be wearing that shocking royal blue colour jumper of the early 80's etc. If its for the betterment of the game it should happen if not then leave it where its been. Im with Jaded if the Dees would win it wouldnt matter what time it was on.

I think a Saturday night GF would be sensational. Can you imagine the energy in the city during the day and then at night, both in the city and at the G???? It would be a feeling you jsut wouldnt experience at 2:30 on a Saturday. As traditional and great the Saturday afternoon GF is, get with the times; there is a 100% success rate around the world. Day is old fashioned...

I mean, Premier League night matches > PL Day matches. I've never been over there to see a match, but in the extremely rare occurance a game is at night, it looks so energetic and amazing at night. Even AFL games over here look better at night.

Hopefully the TV networks' shameless money-grab will be shot down in flames by the AFL. How about Channel 10 actually tries to cash in on the public's hunger for all things Grand Final by finally putting on some decent post-game tellie instead of reruns of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or MASH after the game. Extended highlights, reviews of the season, panels, anything to wrap the season up. It may not be a raving success, but it would surely be better than what they currently serve up after the game. At least give it a go for one season, there is nothing to lose.

You'd be surprised how many country sporting clubs (football, netball, bowls, golf etc.) take advantage of the afternoon grand final to make a social occasion of the event. They have a barbeque lunch, then watch the game in the clubhouse with tipping competitions, raffles etc to raise funds for their club. My golf club has a grand final fundraiser breakfast, then a round of golf, followed by (another fundraiser) bbq lunch, then the game.

If they shift the game to twilight everyone will just watch it at home. A whole social tradition will disappear.

The same question was asked to Joffa, and he said that there is something special with the Grannie finishing and the sun going down at the same time. Something mystical. And i happen to agree with him. It should stay a day game. Why destroy such a tradition. The Grand Final is known to all as being played on the last Saturday in September, not Saturday night.

Who gives a stuff about fireworks. If the atmosphere at the ground doesn't get you going, then fireworks bloody well won't.

and lets face it most kids go to bed early so would miss the end

an your right about clubs running GF days

And if you are an interstater then no chance of flying home that evening........

crap, they want to do it for more ratings

stuff the TV broadcasters leave the GF alone

Bingo. You got it in one go condemned 84.

What baffles me is why they don't just play a day game and delay the telecast into the non-afl markets! :wacko: It seems to be good enough to delay the games through the season proper. so why change tradition/ :lol:

It's a Win, Win. The football supporters in Melbourne will get their day game, and the broadcasters and AFL will get their prime-time broadcasts into non-afl dominated markets. Afterall they are kidding themselves if they think that they will increase the audience in Melbourne by playing the game at night :wacko: , but it might have an impact in other cities.

Go Dees

I mean, Premier League night matches > PL Day matches. I've never been over there to see a match, but in the extremely rare occurance a game is at night, it looks so energetic and amazing at night. Even AFL games over here look better at night.

Sorry calabreseboy, but there really are hardly any PL night matches just the monday night games and the occasional midweek game. It probably seems like most of them are at night because it gets dark so bloody early in England during winter.

My opinion, stick with the afternoon tradition.

only channel 10 want it at night...only for ratings.. quite frankly they only hava the right to broadcast...not to dictate.. .

They can ram it where the sun dont shine for mine.

Its been on in the arvo since dot...and can stay that way. Dont mess with tradition 10...or move on.

if the grand final gets moved to the night it'll be another example of the way soccer, and in particular EPL, has it all over AFL.

soccer has so few changes in not only rules, but also the shape of the season. the last day of the season sees all teams playing at the same time, regardless of the fact that if they were played at different times, the league would make its most amount of money for the entire season.

the AFL simply has to stick with the way the fans want the game, and leave it as such. they clearly want the game to be neat and easily sold to marketing, and to achieve this they must deliver a version of the game that the fans want, and stop changing every second aspect