CASEY: Rd 03 vs Port Melbourne

23 hours ago, picket fence said:

U are kidding, plenty on here are Totally slagging him of! He has just turned 20. Really good young bloke who can and will learn. Get a grip!

All Australian at Under 18. Pick 15.

The 3 picks after him have all played senior football & he is still struggling to have any impact at VFL level so it's hardly surprising supporters are very nervous.

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

The 3 picks after him have all played senior football & he is still struggling to have any impact at VFL level so it's hardly surprising supporters are very nervous.

As an All Australian under 18 in his draft year, you can understand why the club drafted him at pick 15. As an All Aust under age pick, the kid has talent. 

History will tell you KP youngsters take time to develop their body. Jeffo was drafted 18 months ago. 20 year old kids rarely play senior AFL footy at his age. 

He has shown very good cameo performances at Casey. His goal tally for his first year as a KPF  was very good. He is young and playing agianst more physically developed men. Consistency at this point at time is an unrealistic expectation.

As an under age player his kicking accuracy was one of his biggest strengths, along with his marking. But, his 6 mark, 2 goal 4 performance 2 weeks ago, is now seen as he is a poor kick for goal. Too many focus on the negatives and form opinions too quick. Many have also attacked him for being too skinny with a (perceived) hunch back.  It takes all body types, just saying.

It’s posts and the anxiety such as yours Cranky that rile me with focussing on the negative. I would suggest the people on here backing Jeffo, including me, have the same anxiety as you. I just choose to sit back and wait to see how it unfolds and not behave in a way that is negative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

On 14/04/2024 at 15:45, poita said:

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Kyah_Farris-White

The kid has had 3 kicks in 11 VFL games. Clearly he is not playing big minutes but, seriously, what are we trying to achieve here?

I have for some time, advocated that when developing players are not performing in the VFL then it might be of benefit that they go to an appropriate local suburban competition to work on their skills. I recently cited the case of a Collingwood Category B rookie playing last year or the year before in the VAFA. Now, it seems that Richmond has the same idea with one of its Category B rookies. The player in question is obviously being given time to adapt to the game in a less demanding competition. 

Unless, there is something happening with KFW that we’re not being told, this would seem a better course than seeing him struggle for kicks on limited time in the VFL.

IMG_6448.thumb.jpeg.ef3c0675a3826b6d1e7feb04d3bd0dfe.jpeg

From Herald Sun online

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 13/04/2024 at 17:49, picket fence said:

Mate of mine said Shack attack went of early with what looked like a broken collarbone, but came on and was very physical which is great!

After the Sydney loss I think we all agreed "never again"

However, given we're struggling to kick a score at the moment he should be in consideration to at least keep BBB and Petty on their toes after a disappointing fortnight from the pair.

Hopefully Turner could provide another option up forward.

Sounds like Jefferson is miles away with a 2 kick/0 mark game.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

18 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

As an All Australian under 18 in his draft year, you can understand why the club drafted him at pick 15. 

History will tell you KP youngsters take time to develop their body. Jeffo was drafted 18 months ago. 20 year old kids rarely play senior AFL footy at his age. 

It’s posts and the anxiety such as yours Cranky that rile me with focussing on the negative. I would suggest the people on here backing Jeffo, including me, have the same anxiety as you. I just choose to sit back and wait to see how it unfolds and not behave in a way that is negative. 

Very selective in your argument there old chum.

You could say the same thing about Luke Molan or Lucas Cook.

Any top 20 pick who after 12 months is struggling in the VFL is a real concern.

I along with many Demonlanders have watched him a dozen or more times & he has shown very little.

The icing on his cake was the last game of 2023 where he failed to record a stat of any kind.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

A VFL review. What on earth! How, why, amazing!

Personally I think it's best for the coach to just go through the best 5 performances because trying to say nice things about guys who had stinkers isn't worth the effort, young guys don't need that publicly. But I'll take the full thing over nothing at all.

Love including a couple of the VFL guys. Paddy Cross was excellent. Worth watching if he can keep up that kind of form.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Very selective in your argument there old chum.

You could say the same thing about Luke Molan or Lucas Cook.

Any top 20 pick who after 12 months is struggling in the VFL is a real concern.

I along with many Demonlanders have watched him a dozen or more times & he has shown very little.

The icing on his cake was the last game of 2023 where he failed to record a stat of any kind.

I will again come to the defence of Luke Molan. 
He never had an opportunity to show his wares due to a succession of unrelated serious impact injuries.  How many consecutive  games did he get at Sandringham who as I recall was our VFL affiliate at the time?
Nobody knows, seriously, if he could have been an even half decent player.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I will again come to the defence of Luke Molan. 
He never had an opportunity to show his wares due to a succession of unrelated serious impact injuries.  How many consecutive  games did he get at Sandringham who as I recall was our VFL affiliate at the time?
Nobody knows, seriously, if he could have been an even half decent player.

was he the player who went to take a screamer and managed to break his leg, do his acl, and knock himself unconscious in one fell swoop?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

was he the player who went to take a screamer and managed to break his leg, do his acl, and knock himself unconscious in one fell swoop?

I think that was at his first training day!!

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2024 at 18:02, Cranky Franky said:

OK to be nervous but bagging him as waste of space, list clogger etc as some do to some players who do not become stars is disrespectful and doesn’t contribute much of use. 

1 hour ago, Left Foot Snap said:

I think that was at his first training day!!

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Luke Molan I believe broke his leg very early on, then maybe a dislocated or fractured a shoulder on return, and yes maybe an ACL that finished his career.  Never had a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 14/04/2024 at 15:29, DeeSpencer said:

After missing half a year injured Verrall was very quickly playing solid VFL footy last year. Finding the ball and halving ruck contests despite low game time and clearly underdone fitness. Not sure which 3 games you saw but he showed more than enough for a first year rookie ruck.

Hunter exceptional? Probably just a pass mark in the second half for a player of his pedigree. Still huge concerns about his kicking and his ability to win the ball in congestion. 

Hunters first game back off a long layoff and was clearly underdone, scrappy affair and he showed class after working his way into the game. He's not an inside mid and never will be

• Like 1

11 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Takes me back to my first honeymoon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

15 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

A VFL review. What on earth! How, why, amazing!

Personally I think it's best for the coach to just go through the best 5 performances because trying to say nice things about guys who had stinkers isn't worth the effort, young guys don't need that publicly. But I'll take the full thing over nothing at all.

Love including a couple of the VFL guys. Paddy Cross was excellent. Worth watching if he can keep up that kind of form.

I used to enjoy Mark Williams short lived player reviews.

A bit too honest for some and disappeared never to be seen again.

• Like 1

Mark down the name of Jack Behnk, a Casey lister who also plays for St Bedes Mentone Tigers and was nominated as VAFA Mens Rising Star award on the back of a starring 5 goal performance. He has represented Casey this year during the practice match series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

18 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There's a bit to like there with Laurie hopefully building confidence that he's too good for this level.

Great to hear that Verrall, Brown, Sestan, Fullarton and Turner all had good games. There's a good spread of roles there.

I'm hopeful for AMW too and I think it's good they are trying him at HB, I think there's more of a logjam of contenders up forward and we could do with some creativity in the backline.

We need one of Adams or Jefferson to make it.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

19 minutes ago, old55 said:

There's a bit to like there with Laurie hopefully building confidence that he's too good for this level.

Great to hear that Verrall, Brown, Sestan, Fullarton and Turner all had good games. There's a good spread of roles there.

I'm hopeful for AMW too and I think it's good they are trying him at HB, I think there's more of a logjam of contenders up forward and we could do with some creativity in the backline.

We need one of Adams or Jefferson to make it.

Agree good prospects and if half make it we will have done extremely well. Nearly all could be brilliant but that’s being greedy!! 

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2024 at 21:17, picket fence said:

Will surprise many on here in time

I've noticed that Farris-White is getting better at marking the high ball when playing behind the ball in the training sims. Taken a few grabs which at the time surprised me (clean, confident and at the highest point).

Good hands make a big difference for a big man, though still has to get to the competitive position and create more consistency. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, 58er said:

Agree good prospects and if half make it we will have done extremely well. Nearly all could be brilliant but that’s being greedy!! 

Yes one would be good fishing.

• Like 1