Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

Demonland

8 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I hope they get him to the best and fairest  just so there can be some sort of thankyou and goodbye.

Looking back I think the club stuffed up offering him that match say role. He should have done a farewell lap instead so we could say thank you.

Oh ffs must you weave club-bashing into every single [censored] topic?! The club didn’t ‘stuff up.’ Gus was offered everything under the sun for our first home match, round one vs the Dogs. He declined everything. He was already struggling to process and accept the fact that his career was cruelly cut short.

He accepted the GameDay role. It was his choice. He thought he could handle it but after giving it a go he realised he just couldn’t bear it. Plus the inability to tolerate loud noise prevented him from doing it anyways.

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

He’s not doing ok.

Last night Lever and Melky were speakers at an event in Shepparton.

Gus is struggling, according to Rick. He still can’t bring himself to be involved with footy for obvious reasons, but mainly because he can’t be in loud environments, he can’t handle high levels of noise and this is why he attended that one match but hasn’t attended any subsequent matches.

Rick also said that Gussy’s absence has had a profound impact on the boys and continues to do so to this day. 

Just a little PS for those who think we need to get over it and/or we’re making too big a deal of the loss of Gus… maybe now you’ll lay off with these comments.

Tragic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Oh ffs must you weave club-bashing into every single [censored] topic?! The club didn’t ‘stuff up.’ Gus was offered everything under the sun for our first home match, round one vs the Dogs. He declined everything. He was already struggling to process and accept the fact that his career was cruelly cut short.

He accepted the GameDay role. It was his choice. He thought he could handle it but after giving it a go he realised he just couldn’t bear it. Plus the inability to tolerate loud noise prevented him from doing it anyways.

Ease up wcw, we all loved Gus and just because someone says something that involves the club and what they did/didn't do, doesn't mean they are bashing/ bagging the club.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I hope they get him to the best and fairest  just so there can be some sort of thankyou and goodbye.

Looking back I think the club stuffed up offering him that match say role. He should have done a farewell lap instead so we could say thank you.

Only if you view it through a lens of "I want to see Gus again". They offered him the chance to be around his teammates band keep a role in footy. It was the right thing to do. It didn't work out, but that's okay too. Gus will say goodbye when he's ready, not when you're ready. 

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

24 minutes ago, doc roet said:

Ease up wcw, we all loved Gus and just because someone says something that involves the club and what they did/didn't do, doesn't mean they are bashing/ bagging the club.

But ...227 chose to be critical of the club when he/she is clueless as to what was said/done within the club walls. ...227 had a choice, and he/she chose to bag.

Edited by djr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, doc roet said:

Please don’t tell me to ease up. This poster said “the club stuffed up.” He didn’t say he “thinks” the club stuffed up. He clearly doesn’t know what went on before round one yet he confidently states the club stuffed up. It makes my blood boil that he’s used this topic to take yet another potshot at the club (as a general rule, Goody and the club are squarely in his sights) when he has nfi what transpired.

Fact: Gus was offered everything from a farewell lap of honour to a big screen tribute. He declined everything. He was asked what he’d like in terms of a farewell/celebration of his career etc. He wanted nothing. He was asked in what capacity he’d like to stay involved with the club. He decided on the GameDay role. He attempted it and it didn’t work out as planned.

The club love Gus as much as we do. They’re as heartbroken as we are. How dare this poster accuse them of stuffing up.

It’s bad enough having to read insulting comments about the club and/or Goody everywhere on here, but [censored] if I’m gonna sit back and accept him using my post for his own agenda. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Clap 4

4 minutes ago, djr said:

But ...227 chose to be critical of the club when he/she is clueless as to what was said/done within the club walls. ...227 had a choice, and he/she chose to bag.

Yay. Someone who gets it. Thank you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

This incident has totally changed how I feel about this game. Something died in me that night. 
It still eats at me what that POS did and how he got rewarded for it. 

I hope Gus finds his peace ❤️

Last year's finals really broke me. I hope this crop can recover and bounce back next year. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Sad 2

Of all excuses used for this season's flop, the absence of Gus and the news of him not doing well would be the most legitimate in my view. Especially for his close mates at the club in Gawn and even Clayton. And I hope they can all reset over the off-season and maybe Gus will then be okay to come in a resume a role at the club. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Please don’t tell me to ease up. This poster said “the club stuffed up.” He didn’t say he “thinks” the club stuffed up. He clearly doesn’t know what went on before round one yet he confidently states the club stuffed up.

Civil, he actually did say "he thinks" the club stuffed up. You might want to re read.

I think the club did the right thing giving him every chance to stay involved. And I'm sure would welcome him back anytime if he was up to it. I understand his situation and it will be really hard on him on a number of fronts. All the best Gus, you will get there!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

10 hours ago, dees189227 said:

9 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Please don’t tell me to ease up. This poster said “the club stuffed up.” He didn’t say he “thinks” the club stuffed up. He clearly doesn’t know what went on before round one yet he confidently states the club stuffed up. It makes my blood boil that he’s used this topic to take yet another potshot at the club (as a general rule, Goody and the club are squarely in his sights) when he has nfi what transpired.

Fact: Gus was offered everything from a farewell lap of honour to a big screen tribute. He declined everything. He was asked what he’d like in terms of a farewell/celebration of his career etc. He wanted nothing. He was asked in what capacity he’d like to stay involved with the club. He decided on the GameDay role. He attempted it and it didn’t work out as planned.

The club love Gus as much as we do. They’re as heartbroken as we are. How dare this poster accuse them of stuffing up.

It’s bad enough having to read insulting comments about the club and/or Goody everywhere on here, but [censored] if I’m gonna sit back and accept him using my post for his own agenda. 

Pretty clear cut that @dees189227 states "I think" the club stuffed up not "the club stuffed up" as what you just made up. Clearly didn't read what he wrote and then proceeded to take an unnecessary swipe at him/her. 

9 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Of all excuses used for this season's flop, the absence of Gus and the news of him not doing well would be the most legitimate in my view. Especially for his close mates at the club in Gawn and even Clayton. And I hope they can all reset over the off-season and maybe Gus will then be okay to come in a resume a role at the club. 

Personally think we'll never see him back at the club in some capacity. It would be too much for him and I think he would just be happy to drift off into the sunset perhaps.

He's in the cooperate business world which I hope that is something that will give him some peace and happiness at least.

I wonder if they will retire the number 10 next yea You would think this number holds some huge significance now similar to the number 2 which JVR is proudly wearing.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You rock girl.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I’m so sad to hear Gus is struggling - all we as supporters can do is hope that he gets back on his feet asap

I have absolutely no doubt that his absence from the club has been a big downer on everyone. If you look at the team walking out to play each game they seem to always touch Gus’ hat - pretty much tells me everything I need to know about how important he was to the group. 

Let’s all hope that 2025 is a year where we have some reasonable luck and a healthy list and Gus can find a way to spend a little bit more time at the club (assuming that’s what is best for him) 

Im not sure we are achieving much with the bickering here and the he said she said debate 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Civil, he actually did say "he thinks" the club stuffed up. You might want to re read.

I think the club did the right thing giving him every chance to stay involved. And I'm sure would welcome him back anytime if he was up to it. I understand his situation and it will be really hard on him on a number of fronts. All the best Gus, you will get there!!

My bad. Thank you for pointing it out.

I guess that’s what can happen when one replies in a red-hot rage.

Again, thank you for drawing it to my attention. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

This incident has totally changed how I feel about this game. Something died in me that night. 

Can we start a GoFund me to hire a manure truck to do a special delivery to #4s house?

It would be a fitting gift.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Can we start a GoFund me to hire a manure truck to do a special delivery to #4s house?

It would be a fitting gift.

Can you send me the link @ElDiablo14 when it’s set up? Happy to ship in to this charity.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Pretty clear cut that @dees189227 states "I think" the club stuffed up not "the club stuffed up" as what you just made up. Clearly didn't read what he wrote and then proceeded to take an unnecessary swipe at him/her. 

Obviously he can't "know" the club stuffed up whether or not he said "thinks".  If he didn't say 'thinks' we'd all assume "thinks" was implicitly there anyway. So the misquote is no big deal. 

Even if misquoted, I think  WCW was entitled to say that in the circumstances it was an unneccesarily negative remark to make. And if someone has a long history of such negativity, it is understandable she'd call them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Me too @Jaded No More

My wife and I travelled down for that final expecting a wonderful, memorable experience at a full MCG.

The first thing that soured it was watching Collingwood supporters (of a winning team) hurl abuse and vitriol at Melbourne supporters. There were a couple of little kids crying from it. But it didn't stop them and the security couldn't care less.

Secondly, watching Gus getting ironed out.

I could accept the brutal hit at the time, because that's who that POS is. I just can't understand the aftermath and lack of justice for Gus.

It has soured everything about the AFL for me now. 

I'll always love and support our club. But not the AFL. The people that lead this league are completely devoid of any integrity or decency.

Big love to Gus and his family.

@WalkingCivilWar please give Geoff a big hug from me and would love to chip in to help do what the AFL has refused to do in finding justice for Gus.

• Like 6
  • Love 5

20 hours ago, praha said:

Last year's finals really broke me. I hope this crop can recover and bounce back next year. 

I agree with all of you. I was at that game and so disgusted by the feral supporters around me and their jeering that I left and went and sat downstairs. 
I will never forgive their No 4. I cannot watch a Collingwood game and I cannot even utter that thugs name. Even seeing his face makes me tune out.

He ended Gus’s career and suffered no consequences. In fact he got rewarded which really rubbed salt in the wound.

There is a special place in hell reserved for people like him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/zurich-insurance-group-introduces-blanket-concussion-exclusion-for-new-afl-players-in-wake-of-giant-payouts/news-story/355c2c09b46bcda1f1166310a2222f64

Global insurance provider Zurich has shut the gate on concussion claims for new AFL players after a series of million-dollar payouts.

[snip]

The change has triggered fears footballers will be left financially exposed, with some of the league’s top agents at an AFL Players’ Association conference on Wednesday accusing the insurance provider of walking out on the game’s stars amid the concussion crisis.

A senior Zurich manager confirmed that new AFL clients could not claim for concussion under the so-called Active policy in email on July 11.

“The business has made a decision to exclude concussion on all professional sportspeople,” the email said.

“No benefit will be payable for any claim where the condition or event giving rise to the claim is directly or indirectly related to concussion or traumatic injury, including complications.

“This includes chronic traumatic encephalopathy or (chronic) post-concussion syndrome or any other future diagnosis linked to head trauma.”

Player agents are now understood to be weighing up alternative cover options amid growing concerns about the impacts of brain injuries.

this doesn't sound good, and it sounds like murphy in as bad a way as @WalkingCivilWar indicates gus is:

Four AFL players have been forced into medical retirement this year due to concussions, including Collingwood’s Nathan Murphy and Josh Carmichael, Melbourne’s Angus Brayshaw and Western Bulldogs’ Aiden O’Driscoll.

Last week, Murphy said he still suffered “constant headaches” and had days where he did “not want to get out of bed”, 10 months after his Grand Final head-knock.

Players do not have a group trauma insurance policy that covers concussions, meaning they have to take out their own individual policies in conjunction with their agents.

AFL concussion victims without trauma cover only have access to money from their existing player contracts and the AFLPA’s $25m injury and hardship fund.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/zurich-insurance-group-introduces-blanket-concussion-exclusion-for-new-afl-players-in-wake-of-giant-payouts/news-story/355c2c09b46bcda1f1166310a2222f64

Global insurance provider Zurich has shut the gate on concussion claims for new AFL players after a series of million-dollar payouts.

[snip]

The change has triggered fears footballers will be left financially exposed, with some of the league’s top agents at an AFL Players’ Association conference on Wednesday accusing the insurance provider of walking out on the game’s stars amid the concussion crisis.

A senior Zurich manager confirmed that new AFL clients could not claim for concussion under the so-called Active policy in email on July 11.

“The business has made a decision to exclude concussion on all professional sportspeople,” the email said.

“No benefit will be payable for any claim where the condition or event giving rise to the claim is directly or indirectly related to concussion or traumatic injury, including complications.

“This includes chronic traumatic encephalopathy or (chronic) post-concussion syndrome or any other future diagnosis linked to head trauma.”

Player agents are now understood to be weighing up alternative cover options amid growing concerns about the impacts of brain injuries.

this doesn't sound good, and it sounds like murphy in as bad a way as @WalkingCivilWar indicates gus is:

Four AFL players have been forced into medical retirement this year due to concussions, including Collingwood’s Nathan Murphy and Josh Carmichael, Melbourne’s Angus Brayshaw and Western Bulldogs’ Aiden O’Driscoll.

Last week, Murphy said he still suffered “constant headaches” and had days where he did “not want to get out of bed”, 10 months after his Grand Final head-knock.

Players do not have a group trauma insurance policy that covers concussions, meaning they have to take out their own individual policies in conjunction with their agents.

AFL concussion victims without trauma cover only have access to money from their existing player contracts and the AFLPA’s $25m injury and hardship fund.

That’ll be the end of bumps and some tackles? And they’ll have to consider long bans on transgressors. Thanks Maynard! 

• Angry 3

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

[snip]

There is some weird irony here, given Zurich is a sponsor partnership with Melbourne. 

Edited by Lexinator
  • Like 5

On 04/08/2024 at 19:59, Jaded No More said:

If we only win one more game this season I want it to be against those brainless and  entitled collywobble [censored]. They are my most hated team even more so after the Gus incident. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 3
  • Clap 6