Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PRESEASON TRAINING: Friday 1st December 2023

Demonland

24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Foo Fighters have concerts at AAMI Park next week and then January the Australian Open is on.

Monday training is at Gosch’s. The dreaded time trials. Weds and Friday… Casey. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

When's the next time at Gosh's paddock? I have Fridays off so I can do what I did today again. Casey is too far leave that up to Picket.

Monday is at Gosch’s. It’s at Casey thereafter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

You trying to turn him in to Mick Nolan?

He needs a few more kgs but not that many in this day and age. He was listed at 92kg last year, I’d be surprised if he’s not 100kg by now with an eventual aim to be around 110kg max.

I saw he was listed at 91 kgs last year on the MFC site.

I said he could use 15-20 kgs more and you said he will get to 110 kgs, that is 19 kgs more than last year.

As 19 is in the 15-20 range, it would seem we agree.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Wandered down for a squizz at the bizz on Gosch's.

Melksham rehabbing, not doing a running program yet.

Oliver appears underdone. Working a running program, though not very advanced in exertion. Completely opposite to how he turned up last pre-season (fittest of the lot).

Petty was having just strolling around.

The field was dry and the ball handling for pre-season was good. Some stabb passes early in the session dropped in front of the leading players, at least they weren't bombing away. There was some emphasis on creating fwd 50 marks, plenty of short ball hit ups in the simulations. They started with runs and short kicks, then into station drills of low pick-ups, one on one positioning to high balls with push off, and side tackling after receiving high the ball.

The atmosphere was great. Get a sense they have a point to make. Everyone was supportive of each other, the noise level was high, and they were looking like a great young squad.

They took knees a few times, with group discussions and some frivolity.

Plenty of instructions and guidance from the coaches during the process.

Goal kicking practice was about snaps, based on the musical chairs game, but with the ball going around, with a couple of defenders and the manikins, making it tougher.

McQualter (Mini) gets right in there with the mids, emphasising the spacing.

Some drills were created to make the fwds hold position deep, and spread fast as a turnover happens when the opposition leaves our 50 area but loses the ball.

Loved our run, we look fast. Standouts include Bowey, McVee, Tholstrup, Laurie.

Laurie was baulking everyone, so much composure and looks to be a big improver.

Tholstrup is a born leader, supporting team-mates, working hard, one of the last on the field, Also appears to have the will to get to the contest and has that explosiveness after getting the ball. AFL speed won't worry him, a good size and solidness about him.

Bowey looking stronger and faster, impacts when he gets the ball.

McVee has that composure, runs to the right places and looks explosive. 

McAdam was definitely struggling with the running program, though out in the sims he gets involved and has nice skills.

Verral was getting plenty of 1%er's going, earning praise from the coaches. His is looking slim and moving well. Must have been working hard off season.

Howes is looking to be all muscle, barely any fat on him, looks ready for some hard at it footy.

Rivers was linking everything during sims.

Max and Lever cannot keep away from the play, plenty of involvement.

T'Mac was playing in the back line during sims, moving freely, though not winning the run throughs as he used to.

Billings adds another dimension to us. Finds space and has a good finish.

Kynan Brown has great vision, runs good angles, if he gets some consistency in skills, and a bit more bulk I believe he will make it.

Windsor was low-key, I didn't notice him too often.

I reckon JVR needs to have a full and hard working pre-season, looks a bit off, his usual aggression didn't seem there.

Jefferson was dancing around well and wants to goal when he gets it. Working up and down the field, a few fumbles, and in and out of the play during Sims.

Sestan has improved his fitness, no longer gasping after the exertion, and has plenty of composure.

Adams has bulked up and playing well by sitting behind the ball.

Turner was working up the field off the backline, providing carry of the ball.

Farris-White, looks like his skills have improved, has a bit more bulk about him.

AMW, seems more mature, getting to the right positions and kicking goals in the sims.

Taj is going about it very professionally, straightens the ball movement up and continues to bring intelligence to the game.

Hore has not missed a beat.

Schache is working hard, getting on the end of plenty.

BBB looking faster, and turning well. Still has his own running program. He and Tracc last on the paddock doing goal kicking practice.

The new young ones, did not compete in Sims.

There is going to be plenty of pressure for places. We will be batting deep.

Go Dees

Thanks for the awesome report (and to everyone else as well).

I know he's not demonlands favourite but I'm still in Laurie's corner and reckon he can be a big player for us in that mid/fwd connection area we so struggle in. He would be in the top few at the club for both agility and disposal. Hope he gets a chance and makes himself a permanent feature in the side next year.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Both of our Draft Picks are expected to play Senior Football next season, so i am not surprised to read about this “attitude”

I certainly hope the AFL Community get a bit of a shock next season at our newbie’s. 

My thoughts do need to be heavily qualified - it is very difficult to comment on things like attitude while watching a December training session from the sidelines. And no doubt my thoughts are influenced by things that have been said about him - eg. "best character in the draft".

I think what I was trying to get at is he has presence. Intangible and hard to define. Usually the young first-year players just blend in and you don't really notice them but your eyes seem to be drawn to him.

I haven't seem him play so have no idea what he's like on the field. But if he can play, he will definitely be one of those types you notice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, binman said:

The thought of Tmac trying to bite of yet another high risk kick from defence and giving straight back to the oppo gives me cold sweats.

For anyone thinking he would be a good option down back please remember the reason he went forward in the first place - it was last chance saloon for him because he was such a turnover merchant down back.

Tmac was gonski if he couldn't make it as a forward. 

Also Tmac has never been quick or super agile.

Lack of pace and agility for a key defender is a killer and he ain't got any quicker or agile since 2018. 

That said a good swing man option.

Well that’s not true he was an AA Backman and got put forward because he had no one else and he did a good job and stayed there. I think his first forward game was that game he kicked the winner against WC

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Bloody l-o-n-g session. Close to three hours. As usual Tracc stayed out there for about half an hour after the others had all left, having shots on goal. He does this after sessions, totally his choice. Tracc is dedication personified. Like, next level invested. LOL… I told him he needs to get to work on his muscles. He looked shocked and said, “Who, me???!” I said, “Relax, I’m kidding!” He said, “Phew, for a minute there…” 😁 Like he should pay any mind to what a slightly deranged fan says, amirite?!

I told Marty Hore welcome back and he said he’s so happy to be back because this is where he really wants to be, and that he feels like he never left. 💖

Clarrie started later than the others. We chatted a little before he started. Wednesday wasn’t a one-off. He’s definitely on the right track. Happy to chat, super positive, walks with a spring in his step and his head held high. Hashtag body language tells all.

Also had interesting chats with Chocco and Perty and Goody, all separately, but all instilled a strong sense of positivity and I’d even say excited anticipation. They’re clearly pumped for next season, as are the players. It really shows. The whole vibe this week has been amazing, which bodes well so early in the preseason.

Best thing about today? Two words… [censored] MELKSY! Was NOT expecting to see him moving so well! It was such a sight to behold. Last time I saw him he looked (and was) gutted. Totes different today, all smiles and really buoyed. Perty said his recovery won’t be like “your regular ACL recovery” I said, “he looks ahead of schedule already.” Perty said at this rate he’ll be right “middle of the season.” YAY 🥳

PS Adorable little George Gawn stole the show on the boundary. Heartwarming moment: Tracc walking towards him, George runs to greet him, arms outstretched wanting Tracc to pick him up, which Tracc did, making George so happy he buried his little head into Tracc’s shoulder. I know, right?! 🥹

Great writing WCW , very descriptive and you create really good word pictures of training and players. Great stuff. 
Other training posts also excellent. The difference in style and content give us a broader view of what’s happening. Thanks and well done to all. 

Edited by hemingway
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Melksham is training away from the rest as you’d expect 

Just a little insight Werridee into what to notice about what Melksham is training at, his demeanour and what he perhaps isn't doing now? I know i'm late, and take your time tomorrow or whenever please.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, D Rev said:

Thanks very much for the detail here, really appreciated.

My big concern with Tholstrup, at this point, is that he hasn't played against high quality opposition at this point.  That isn't his fault at all, but he spent a year in the Colts in WA - then was in the WAFL in a year when anyone fit was playing for the Eagles or Freo.

Again, Im going to be pumped to be proven wrong and he seems like he has the right attitude.

Odd post. Senior WAFL footy is a far higher standard than all junior footy competitions around the country, so not sure why that would be a concern.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

McStay - McGone for 2024.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1069199/magpie-heartbreak-forward-dan-mcstay-set-to-miss-2024-after-acl-tear

Thought he was influential in our loss to them in week 1 finals.

You don’t wish ill will to any player. But it’s Collingwood and there is a bit of karma about this I think. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I guess Hore would be delighted to be considered "young".

He hasn’t aged at all!

9C4DA2A2-504D-43FD-B51D-D2063B29BC4E.thumb.jpeg.8bb4af1e333fe282cfdc223a44468b4e.jpeg

Seriously, I reckon he looks younger than he is. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
Changed from sad puppy dog eyes to happy puppy dog eyes coz next to Marty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Just a little insight Werridee into what to notice about what Melksham is training at, his demeanour and what he perhaps isn't doing now? I know i'm late, and take your time tomorrow or whenever please.

I’m sure Werridee will discuss Melks in terms of training but I just wanna add that his demeanour was one of confidence and happiness. He actually looked radiant. He was all smiles and was clearly very happy to be out there with the others. It’s obvious he’s been taking care of himself, he looked toned and certainly hasn’t been skipping arm days at the gym, nor leg days (despite the surgery). Jake’s one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, always super friendly even when he’s having a rough patch and consequently copping [censored] from his own fans. Therefore to see him today seemingly brimming with pride was priceless. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
So happy for my boy Jakey that I missed a typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 4

40 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Great writing WCW , very descriptive and you create really good word pictures of training and players. Great stuff. 
Other training posts also excellent. The difference in style and content give us a broader view of what’s happening. Thanks and well done to all. 

Summed up beautifully Hemingway.!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Make sure you add this picture to your smile file thread

Alas I don’t have the smile file anymore. I was so upset when we lost the semi that I deleted all the pics as well as all the banner pics. 😭 Impulsive sook that I am. I wasn’t angry, just really, really sad. I’m sure the pics are all in the Cloud somewhere (I pay a monthly fee so they’d wanna be 😁) and besides, I was fast running out of data allowance. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Bloody l-o-n-g session. Close to three hours. As usual Tracc stayed out there for about half an hour after the others had all left, having shots on goal. He does this after sessions, totally his choice. Tracc is dedication personified. Like, next level invested. LOL… I told him he needs to get to work on his muscles. He looked shocked and said, “Who, me???!” I said, “Relax, I’m kidding!” He said, “Phew, for a minute there…” 😁 Like he should pay any mind to what a slightly deranged fan says, amirite?!

I told Marty Hore welcome back and he said he’s so happy to be back because this is where he really wants to be, and that he feels like he never left. 💖

Clarrie started later than the others. We chatted a little before he started. Wednesday wasn’t a one-off. He’s definitely on the right track. Happy to chat, super positive, walks with a spring in his step and his head held high. Hashtag body language tells all.

Also had interesting chats with Chocco and Perty and Goody, all separately, but all instilled a strong sense of positivity and I’d even say excited anticipation. They’re clearly pumped for next season, as are the players. It really shows. The whole vibe this week has been amazing, which bodes well so early in the preseason.

Best thing about today? Two words… [censored] MELKSY! Was NOT expecting to see him moving so well! It was such a sight to behold. Last time I saw him he looked (and was) gutted. Totes different today, all smiles and really buoyed. Perty said his recovery won’t be like “your regular ACL recovery” I said, “he looks ahead of schedule already.” Perty said at this rate he’ll be right “middle of the season.” YAY 🥳

PS Adorable little George Gawn stole the show on the boundary. Heartwarming moment: Tracc walking towards him, George runs to greet him, arms outstretched wanting Tracc to pick him up, which Tracc did, making George so happy he buried his little head into Tracc’s shoulder. I know, right?! 🥹

WCW, in the nicest possible way. This is the first time i have ever read a training report in  a story book fashion and i loved it. please give us some more.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've been to Monday's and today's training. In no particular order..

The best 10-12 we know and will again be our core. Melsham was doing his drills just in from of me. There's minimal difference in his quads, he was jumping off either foot, doing side step jumps then short kicking with either leg. He must have done a power of rehab  to be this far advanced so soon after a knee recon.

BBB was moving really well, and moving quickly in his leads to the ball.

KFY and Verrall are both very mobile and would make other rucks look sluggish if they can maintain this in a game scenario.

Taj especially but Dan Turner, Jed Adams and Jefferson all looking very much stronger. Schache doing what he likes best and avoiding contact.

Of McAdam, Billings and Fullarton - they are going to have to bring serious game sense, skill and endeavour to be in the best 22. Which is what we really want. Laurie & Taj look like they really want a spot.  But the 2 stand outs for me were Marty Hore and Oli Sestan. Hore was in everything, knew where to position himself in the drills, clean, precise, moving really well. Sestan played one drill on the lead out of the goal square. Never fumbled, nialed them from everywhere. Another, he was link man- precise foot skills, clean hands, looking 1 or even 2 moves ahead of the rest. Hope his tank is larger this year - he looks fitter and dare I say a bit trimmed down below the waist. If JT was correct in his summation 12 months ago when questioned about this choice, he said that we couldn't afford to let Sestan slip another year and thought he might be worth a punt.

Lastly, Kynan Brown will never let anyone die wondering if he's put in enough effort to get to play AFL. He never stopped. Looks like he has massive tank. Needs 2 preseasons to get 10kg on his frame. FYI

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

38 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

You don’t wish ill will to any player. But it’s Collingwood and there is a bit of karma about this I think. 

You're right you don't wish ill on any player.

But if this had to happen to a Collingwood player I would have preferred it happen to a certain player other than McStay.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m sure Werridee will discuss Melks in terms of training but I just wanna add that his demeanour was one of confidence and happiness. He actually looked radiant. He was all smiles and was clearly very happy to be with out there with the the others. It’s obvious he’s been taking care of himself, he looked toned and certainly hasn’t been skipping arm days at the gym, nor leg days (despite the surgery). Jake’s one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, always super friendly even when he’s having a rough patch and consequently copping [censored] from his own fans. Therefore to see him today seemingly brimming with pride was priceless. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 7

Just now, Willmoy1947 said:

WCW, in the nicest possible way. This is the first time i have ever read a training report in  a story book fashion and i loved it. please give us some more.

Okay. So, when I was having that pic with Marty taken, Kolt walked by and said, “Hey! Good to see you here again,” I said, “Same! And if I don’t see you before, I’ll see you when you run out through our awesome banner in round zero!” Kolt said, “What, do you reckon I’ll be ready by then?” I said, “You’re ready now.” Chocco was within earshot and he said, “Yeah, she’s right, that’s why he’s our number one draft pick.” Probs not serious (about Kolt debuting in round zero) but I noticed Kolt’s chest puff out just that little bit extra. 🙂 Chocco is amazing in how he interacts with the players, especially the young ones. It’s no wonder they all respect him.

It’s also patently obvious that Kolt looks up to Tracc and admires him greatly. Think Marnus Labuschagne and Steve Smith. It’s heartwarming to watch. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Clap 2

26 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Jefferson put on any meat ?

He certainly has. Noticeably so. Now he just needs to work on his posture. He’d be five centimetres taller if he straightened up his back. He trained well today, had way more energy than he did on Monday and Wednesday. Shane also seemed more energised. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, EMDE said:

Oli Sestan. Hore was in everything, knew where to position himself in the drills, clean, precise, moving really well. Sestan played one drill on the lead out of the goal square. Never fumbled, nialed them from everywhere. Another, he was link man- precise foot skills, clean hands, looking 1 or even 2 moves ahead of the rest. Hope his tank is larger this year - he looks fitter and dare I say a bit trimmed down below the waist. If JT was correct in his summation 12 months ago when questioned about this choice, he said that we couldn't afford to let Sestan slip another year and thought he might be worth a punt.

JT said on the podcast the other day Sestan still has work to do on his running (and that’s hardly a surprise) but who knows where he’ll be at by the end of summer.

I thought he should play half back at Casey given our lack of defensive depth and to build his run and game. But if he’s impacting forward you’d just leave him there and see how good he can be 

• Like 6