Welcome to Demonland: Caleb Windsor

adonski

On 22/11/2023 at 02:07, Deemania since 56 said:

I have been looking for a winger for the Dees, for years. Still looking and the points raised certainly form part of my dream wingman, alongside enormous poise and gutsy intercepts. I hope we have found someone close to the skills and playing style of the very great Stan Alves, just a bit taller. 

Hugely under-rated is Stan. He probably is under recognised by Demon fans because of the bitter manner of his departure but he was absolutely outstanding. The sight of his dashes along the northern wing was all that kept me going to the G during the early 70s.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Hugely under-rated is Stan. He probably is under recognised by Demon fans because of the bitter manner of his departure but he was absolutely outstanding. The sight of his dashes along the northern wing was all that kept me going to the G during the early 70s.

The bloke on the southern wing wasn't bad either. 🌷

• Like 3
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, pitmaster said:

A number of years as loyal servant of MFC

excellent player.  Perhaps not as good as his opposite winger, but a delight to watch.

only left to get a chance at a premiership if I remember correctly.  Was Stan O’s from cheer squad favourite player so we all knew how good Alves was. Played with us for 10 (?) Only played another couple of years. So deserved to go.

was there a problem within the club and him, he never seems overtly positive towards the Dee’s. Or is that just my perception.  It’s gunna be a good year again.     Go Dee’s 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

The bloke on the southern wing wasn't bad either. 🌷

Too right, but I reckon they only had maybe two seasons in the same side before Stan went off to win his flag with the Kangas who did very well out of rule changes around that time. It's funny how well served we were for wingers but not so much in key positions.

• Like 1

Back to Caleb Windsor, I know that it’s only hilights of an intra club hit out but, he looks very exciting. He appears to be exactly what we have been lacking for a long time. An outside, quick, pure skilled link player who can also hit the scoreboard.

I am as excited as I have been about a draftee for a long time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Back to Caleb Windsor, I know that it’s only hilights of an intra club hit out but, he looks very exciting. He appears to be exactly what we have been lacking for a long time. An outside, quick, pure skilled link player who can also hit the scoreboard.

I am as excited as I have been about a draftee for a long time!

Could be what they call a 100 metre player. Gets it and goes. With long, accurate kicks.

The speed is tantalising.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, bush demon said:

League teams on Thursday nights, "Alves, Wells, Flower".

And we were still garbage.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

And we were still garbage.

My golden days of going to the football. Lots of Grand Old Flag passion in the southern stand. No voice-over ground announcers. The Dees often played with desperation, just didn't have access to the top-flight players. The late 70s, by which time Wells had gone to Carrrton, that was a different matter.

• Like 3

My earliest melbourne memories are of Alves and Wells.

The 1st jumper I wore had #15, the 2nd was 11.

And Stan Alves was my very 1st autograph.

Jolimont end goal square before training.

I was so nervous. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The kid is obviously going to play early. 

Need to know one thing.... what we calling him

'KNOT' 

Or

'DUKE'

Personally I think Duke. It's been a while since the Earl of Spalding. This name needs renewing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought Stanley was absolutely superb on the Southern Wing, as well. That raking long torp and the more steadied drop punt (closer in) scored us an enormous number of goals for a dedicated wingman. He still leaves me with the sense of absolute awe of his blind turns, dodges and run-arounds on every opposition player attempting to prevent his ball delivery or forward line penetration, let alone his accuracy with 'outside' goal-kicking. His accelerating speed could not be contested effectively, even by the alleged 'greats' assigned to stop him across many years. Definitely, Stan remains very close to the top of my list of outstanding Demons over the years, in the masterclass of the gifted clutch in red & blue. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

He still leaves me with the sense of absolute awe of his blind turns, dodges and run-arounds

Definitely a memory of Stan 

ran at his opponent threw the ball to his right, then spun clockwise around them and he was gone 5 or 6 metres clear

looking to pass the ball forwards 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

The kid is obviously going to play early. 

Need to know one thing.... what we calling him

'KNOT' 

Or

'DUKE'

Personally I think Duke. It's been a while since the Earl of Spalding. This name needs renewing 

I'd rather name him after a piece of clothing than a Nazi sympathiser.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1