2024 Free Agents

Demonland

If we were able to lure a forward of JUH’s ilk it would be like bringing in a new #1 key defender at the same time , Petty could go back and we’d be solving two big issues at once 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

If we were able to lure a forward of JUH’s ilk it would be like bringing in a new #1 key defender at the same time , Petty could go back and we’d be solving two big issues at once 

If Petty doesn't leave for SA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

If we’re serious about Petty staying we need to offer him a new contract this year which would override his current one which runs into next season. 

• Like 1

Firstly Doggies would be crazy to let JUH go, but they have Naughton and I just don’t think those two can play in the same forward line. Their chemistry is off. 

Ultimately it will come down to English or JUH for mine. If Verrell or White have any hope of succeeding Gawn in a 60-70% capacity, it’ll do and we chase JUH hard - no mucking around. Give him a $6.5M - $7M contract over 5 years. I’d hold out on Petty until end of year. He is not an UFA so I’m not worried about him leaving without compensation, but his injury prone nature is worrying. 

Next we need another midfielder. The GWS and Suns honeypots are not what they once were. Can we tempt Finn Callaghan away? Would be a coup if we did.

Freo will be an interesting watch - if they don’t make finals again I think Longmuir goes and that may lead to a player exodus. Wouldn’t getting Andy Brayshaw be something - he is a UFA end of next season, so it maybe Freos last chance to get something for him.

Unfortunately we couldn’t go after both JUH and Andy this year as we don’t have enough draft capital. Both players would easily command 2 mid first round picks. Would you consider letting Rivers return home to WA ? 

lots of water to go under the bridge and you never know JVR and Petty may just be the medicine we need.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the system we play with, I don’t think many players would choose MFC as a destination currently.

The type of players we would benefit from (creativity and flair) don’t fit the preferred method of play.

Edited by BW511
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

• 1 month later...

Looking ahead to 2025, May will be 33 and entering his final contracted year. Still playing good footy and could possibly get another season or two beyond that. However, we would be remiss to not plan for life after May.

Watched Gettable today and they discussed two free agents for 2025 in Weitering and Taylor (GWS) with the former being an UFA. In my opinion, obtaining one of these players will be absolutely crucial to us competing for a flag beyond 2025. Unlikely as it may be, we need to move heaven and earth to try and secure one of them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Looking ahead to 2025, May will be 33 and entering his final contracted year. Still playing good footy and could possibly get another season or two beyond that. However, we would be remiss to not plan for life after May.

Watched Gettable today and they discussed two free agents for 2025 in Weitering and Taylor (GWS) with the former being an UFA. In my opinion, obtaining one of these players will be absolutely crucial to us competing for a flag beyond 2025. Unlikely as it may be, we need to move heaven and earth to try and secure one of them.

Considering both Weitering and Taylor are right in the Premiership window there is no reason why they will leave their perspective clubs.

Weitering would be their next captain and Taylor is not only settled but plays at a footy club that plays a fast and exciting brad that clearly stands up in September.  

GWS are just scratching the surface. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Considering both Weitering and Taylor are right in the Premiership window there is no reason why they will leave their perspective clubs.

Weitering would be their next captain and Taylor is not only settled but plays at a footy club that plays a fast and exciting brad that clearly stands up in September.  

GWS are just scratching the surface. 

Money and length of contract....

Ask Jackson and possibly Petty

The upside is that even if you fail you hobble the existing side with a higher/longer contract

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The upside is that even if you fail you hobble the existing side with a higher/longer contract

And it can’t be an extra year at 100k. It has to an eye watering offer akin to how Liv steal PGA tour players .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

They had the pull of going back to their home state. The money was the icing on the cake especiallywith Jackson and potentiallyPetty. The pull was strong with those two. Weitering and Taylor don't in this case.

Weitering is no way at all going to another Victorian club that is also contending for the flag when his own club is going through similar pathway. 

If you can name me the last big name player that went from one big contending team to another in Victoria then maybe, but it's an absolute rarity. 

• Like 1

On 19/10/2023 at 16:40, Little Goffy said:

English, McCluggage and McGrath 2024,

Brayshaw, Davies-Uniake, De Konig, Wietering, Sam Taylor, Worpel,  in 2025.

I mean, why even worry about drafting?

Salary cap ;)

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 01:41, Gawndy the Great said:

Firstly Doggies would be crazy to let JUH go, but they have Naughton and I just don’t think those two can play in the same forward line. Their chemistry is off. 

Ultimately it will come down to English or JUH for mine. If Verrell or White have any hope of succeeding Gawn in a 60-70% capacity, it’ll do and we chase JUH hard - no mucking around. Give him a $6.5M - $7M contract over 5 years. I’d hold out on Petty until end of year. He is not an UFA so I’m not worried about him leaving without compensation, but his injury prone nature is worrying. 

Next we need another midfielder. The GWS and Suns honeypots are not what they once were. Can we tempt Finn Callaghan away? Would be a coup if we did.

Freo will be an interesting watch - if they don’t make finals again I think Longmuir goes and that may lead to a player exodus. Wouldn’t getting Andy Brayshaw be something - he is a UFA end of next season, so it maybe Freos last chance to get something for him.

Unfortunately we couldn’t go after both JUH and Andy this year as we don’t have enough draft capital. Both players would easily command 2 mid first round picks. Would you consider letting Rivers return home to WA ? 

lots of water to go under the bridge and you never know JVR and Petty may just be the medicine we need.  

I definitely think a lot of Freo players will be looking about, particularly if Longmuir goes.  They must have some young up-and-comers that we could poach

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Restricted free agent Jarrod Berry is weighing up a four-year deal from the @brisbanelions

The seven other RFAs:
H.McCluggage: Rivals believe he will stay on a 6yr deal, but hasn't signed yet.
P.Dangerfield: Surely staying, but no deal on the table yet.
B.Ainsworth: 4yr deal on the table, but future unclear at Suns
B.Hardwick: Hawks have offered a deal but signature is a while off.
C.Zurhaar: More likely to leave if North continues to struggle.
W.Hayward: Carlton, Port, Adelaide circling. Won't sign at Sydney anytime soon. For details  see 
@xandermcg9 
T.English: Talks ongoing, albeit slowly. One for back end of the season at best.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the AFL have indexed their compensation formula to the rising salary cap. If not, don't be surprised to see Zurhaar leave on a 700-800k contract and the roos to get pick 2.

• Like 1

Will be indexed for this Trade/FA period, last period was exempt because CBA & new conditions & cap were (deemed by the AFL) agreed too close to last year’s trade period for clubs to factor in to deals. 

Never mind that indexing to the Agreement would have lowered the McKay compensation below band 1 based on the current CBA salary structure.

• Thanks 1

Would love to see if we can get Brayshaw from Fremantle. No matter what people think out there we need a classy experienced or a Harley Reid midfielder. Last year's recruitment of Grundy was a huge failure. If we don't win this year's flag its is time to let Goodwin go. What the F is happening with J.Smith ? 

• Facepalm 1