PREGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

Peeking in Collingwood's Big Footy forum the big talk there is how sick many of their players were at our last meeting. Many taking us lightly.

Edited by John Crow Batty

27 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Grundy has to come in to support Gawn. Gawn has been impressive going solo but starting to look over worked in the last couple of rounds. Another tall loitering in the forward line would also pressure Collingwood's shortish defence. 

A tall loitering in our forward line is actually detrimental to the side. And your choice of words is apt when describing Grundy and Gawn up forward. The Pies would waltz the ball out of their backline.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, sisso said:

I might be on my own but I was impressed with Turner yesterday I think he looked a lot more dynamic than Tommo (who is really slow)…I’d keep him as the 3rd tall back

I'm a fan. He was dynamic, very hard at it, took on some very aggressive kicks and executed. I think he could be a beauty. Only thing is (and the same problem for Thomlinson) is taking a ruck one on one. But he brings the pace we need. The future looks bright if he can hold down a key back spot, and be attacking with Petty up forward.

I trust Goodwin to make the right choice. 

Edited by Bay Riffin
  • Like 9

Gawn needs help but you can’t play Grundy just for 30% 2nd ruck. he can’t play fwd and aside from yesterday has been average at casey

Hibberd and T Mac IN

Bowey and Melksham out

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Casey play Williamstown this weekend. So I guess its a manage Mac and Grundy in case needed. Maybe a few others as well. Collingwood play Footscray. You would hope both these game were on the Saturday but would but nothing past the AFL. 

This is the conundrum. The Thursday night game means that those who play in the Casey game will probably only have a five if not 4 day break. Realistically it means the likes of TMac and possibly Grundy won't play. Same for Hibberd

Another example of the VFL comp not doing what it should. We could ask for a Friday night VFL game perhaps

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mo64 said:

A tall loitering in our forward line is actually detrimental to the side. And your choice of words is apt when describing Grundy and Gawn up forward. The Pies would waltz the ball out of their backline.

Loitering with intent.

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

This is the conundrum. The Thursday night game means that those who play in the Casey game will probably only have a five if not 4 day break. Realistically it means the likes of TMac and possibly Grundy won't play. Same for Hibberd

Another example of the VFL comp not doing what it should. We could ask for a Friday night VFL game perhaps

Grundy and Tmac could play a half each forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sisso said:

I might be on my own but I was impressed with Turner yesterday I think he looked a lot more dynamic than Tommo (who is really slow)…I’d keep him as the 3rd tall back

I'm with you sisso

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Grundy and Tmac could play a half each forward.

Grundy played almost full time ruck on Sunday. The forward experiment was nowhere to be seen other than in the last quarter when he was resting.

The idea of a half each has merit though

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Grundy played almost full time ruck on Sunday. The forward experiment was nowhere to be seen other than in the last quarter when he was resting.

The idea of a half each has merit though

I still believe the Grundy and Gawn partnership can work. Finals add different dynamics. Cox and Cameron are too tall without equality in matchup. Solo Gawn will be worked over and VDR too short to counter and unsettles his forward game.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DubDee said:

Bring it on!!

Hibbo and T Mac 

in for Milkshake and Bowey?

we need a big target to take pressure off JVR. and hibbo was made for finals 

Love everything about Bowey but IDK how you don't get Hibbo into this team.

Finals are for big bodies, scrappy and contested play. 

TBH based off of the Sydney game you could argue Salem is in worse form than Bowey but Salem is one of those players you don't take out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Peeking in Collingwood's Big Footy forum the big talk there is how sick many of their players were at our last meeting. Many taking us lightly.

Funny how they've lost their best player and we have gained arguably our best back in Oliver alongside our best forward. Also Moore may come in underdone. However losing Melk, is SAD I think he is a big moment player.

Edited by Hawny for Gawny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, poita said:

I would have brought McDonald in anyway, but the Melksham injury should make it a certainty.

Tomlinson in for Turner. Turner is a young kid in his third game who lost track of his man on a regular basis yesterday. He would get destroyed against a top side. It was a nice reward for some decent Casey form, but Tomlinson has to come in for Cox (May for Mihocek, Lever for McStay).

I hate to say it but Grundy has to come in to support Gawn this week. Van Rooyen can't be expected to compete against Cox, and we're completely stuffed if Cox takes Gawn out with a knee to the ribs in the opening minutes. Smith to sub where he's just as likely to get his 7 touches in one quarter, than spread our across a full game.

I'm still deeply concerned about the form of Bowey and Chandler, but expect both to remain.

Chandler is a small forward they will never be on 100% of the time, I love his effort though, he has the speed and aggression to impact when he doesn't have the ball something I think Spargo lacks, 

42 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Interesting. A number of them are [censored] themselves on Twitter. Even saw one saying it wasn't fair the finished top and had to play the best team in a QF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, binman said:

Yep, King gave us a huge pump up, tracc this, defence that. 

But at the end of the show they all gave their predictions.

Bizarrely, given his huge pump up of the dees, and picking us as flag winners after our win over the Tigers, King picked the Pies to be the premier, with lions runner up. 

Somehow King arrived at the dees not even making the Grand Final.

He also said that the Pies should get 75% of the tickets sold for the QF because as the home home team, and having finished on top, they have earned the benefit they would get from a pro Pies crowd.

Because he has cash on them and Daicos for the Brownlow,

Ridiculously conflicted he is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Very very confident pies supporters in the office. 

“Three wins to go until we win it”. 

They might be crowing too early imv. 

A Magpie crowing......obviously has nfi ;) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Interesting. A number of them are [censored] themselves on Twitter. Even saw one saying it wasn't fair the finished top and had to play the best team in a QF

Bless their little hearts....  on the plus side for them.... they only need suffer the once ;)

My pie brethren in law ..   yayyy we sealed the minor premiership !!!  Me: enjoy the minor prize.......

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

Love everything about Bowey but IDK how you don't get Hibbo into this team.

Finals are for big bodies, scrappy and contested play. 

TBH based off of the Sydney game you could argue Salem is in worse form than Bowey but Salem is one of those players you don't take out.

In the last game he played (was it against Carlton as the sub?), I thought Hibberd looked like a player who had finally lost any remaining pace that he had left. I'd be surprised - but pleasantly - if he gets recalled.

I really hate "the filth" also known as Collingwood!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

But they are a formidable opponent.

Stopping their elite midfielders and their two ruckmen in Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox will be a huge challenge.

Will also be very interesting if both Nick Daicos and Darcy Moore are fit enough to play against us? 🤔

Edited by Supreme_Demon

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Gawn needs help but you can’t play Grundy just for 30% 2nd ruck. he can’t play fwd and aside from yesterday has been average at casey

Hibberd and T Mac IN

Bowey and Melksham out

Absolutely zero chance Bowey is getting dropped..

Actually watch yesterday's game and you'll see that Bowey defended really well and won some critical intercept possessions. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

In the last game he played (was it against Carlton as the sub?), I thought Hibberd looked like a player who had finally lost any remaining pace that he had left. I'd be surprised - but pleasantly - if he gets recalled.

Also factoring that he got towelled up badly by Gary [censored] Rohan in his last full game at senior level.

There is simply no spot for Hibberd unless there is an injury to one of our small or medium defenders. 

Goody has made this pretty evidently come team selections.