PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

9 hours ago, dl4e said:

Possibly. A win against Carlton certainly helped but lets be honest we are not playing good footy. If we can beat the filth I will gladly start to eat my words.

I thought Fritta Maysie Rick Salo all looked back to their best (2021 form) vs Blues and Gawny had a ripping last quarter clunking some marks and his goal to keep out the hapless Blues!!

If they can plsy like that and Rooy and Judd maintain a consistent support like Friday we know Clarry will be in the first 3 on ground ( if he doesn't eat the footy first) so thsts a good start. Teckon Fritta jumped off the ground about 5/6 times but didn't convert as usual. He could be back to his GF exploits agsin! 

That means we are in it up to our eyeballs. Plus the rest of season with real confidence. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Goodwin has set us up for this game. He knows they are the benchmark and they have had the wood on us (although last year's game was more a case of our injuries mid-game costing us big time). 

100% agree with this. I got a sense of this when Steven May was interviewed about a month ago. He let it slip in two separate interviews that we thought we had the wood over them and that (my interpretation only) a focus of our game plan was geared to combat Collingwood's style.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, layzie said:

It would be kind of fitting if we end up inflicting their second loss of the season on them in a role reversal of 2021. 

And if we do watch the commentators say " oh they were due for a loss, they have been up for so long, you can't keep up that pace all season, De Goey missing has cost them" blah blah blah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 1

34 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

And if we do watch the commentators say " oh they were due for a loss, they have been up for so long, you can't keep up that pace all season, De Goey missing has cost them" blah blah blah.

I'd be happy enough for us to help them with their "due-loss" ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, Deebauched said:

Any guess as to how many ' in form' dees players get suspended by ex Pies player Michael Christian prior to the KB event? This Christian dude appears to have many other work and business interests so where does he find the time of day to go over 9 long AFL games?

Will he bother watching the eagles game today against the pies? Lets wait and see if Daicos or Moore get suspended for executing a legit tackle  but the opponent bumps his head.   - no chance.

I have always assumed some underlings at the AFL go through all the games and identify matters which require the MROs judgement. The MRO would then only have to look at the cases he's presented with, rather than watching through every game. It wouldn't surprise if those same underlings also make recommendations to the MRO as to suggested penalties for each case they present using the standard formula and showing similar past incidents as points of reference. The MRO can then decide whether to agree with the recommendations or not. In the end, the MRO is accountable for every decision.

Anyway, if I was in charge of AFL operations, that's how I would run it.

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

The commentators and many Demonlanders too. You watch.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

So, only 6 days to go (!!).  What are the changes?

In Hibberd and Oliver

Out Bowey (if concussed) and .... Sparrow?

possibility of Schache/BB coming in for Smith

Them losing Sidebottom and De Goey is huge. The team with the most senior composed players will win imo. On the big stage, who turns it over, who holds their nerve

I reckon we'll win this!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

You don't want to be playing your best footy in June.

Grand finals are not won in winter.

They are really looking for the bye.

You can't expect a young player like Daicos to be up all season.

Yes, they lost and their defense was porous, but don't you love how they don't go into their shell and stick to their game plan.

I know they lost, but geez don't you love watching them play.

I know they lost, but i can't see the dees beating them with Sidebottom and De goey back in the team.

Yada

Yada

Yada

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Clap 1

15 minutes ago, DubDee said:

In Hibberd and Oliver

Them losing Sidebottom and De Goey is huge. The team with the most senior composed players will win imo. On the big stage, who turns it over, who holds their nerve

You're kidding right?  Sparrow has been fantastic since returning from his week suspension.  No way he misses.

Chandler, Spargo or Tomlinson are names off the top of my head that will miss before Sparrow does.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

You're kidding right?  Sparrow has been fantastic since returning from his week suspension.  No way he misses.

Chandler, Spargo or Tomlinson are names off the top of my head that will miss before Sparrow does.

not kidding, its a tough call.  Agree Sparrow has been good

But not sure we want to change up our structure by replacing a small fwd or tall back with an inside mid

18 minutes ago, DubDee said:

In Hibberd and Oliver

Sparrow? LOL.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Redleg said:

I don’t recall Thomas saying ANB was hard done by, for getting 4 weeks in a 17 game season, for a sling tackle that didn’t injure the victim.

That suspension still makes me furious. Four weeks was ridiculous. By that metric De Goey should go to jail

Chandlers suspension last year was equally frustrating. 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

That’s very interesting. Something tells me we are priming for this week.

Last three games I was nervous and almost expecting to lose. This week I'm close to positive we are going to pump them. I think they were getting Harmes ready for a special job so being out is unfortunate. Can not wait for match day.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

He's already out, Harmes

Harmes was the sub, doesn’t count 

32 minutes ago, DubDee said:

who would you drop for Oliver?

It will be Bowey and Tomlinson for Oliver and Hibberd.

Gus goes back, plays as an interceptor. Hibberd is the best possible match up for Ash Johnson.

Lever has to play on a tall, be it Cox or Mihocek but he would’ve had to do that anyway.

Spare me the Lever has to be the third tall. He still is. Hibberd > Tomlinson unless the opposition has 2 gun big talls like Carlton.

• Like 2

This will probably be an unpopular thought but I actually didn't think Tomlinson played a bad game, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Lever had one of his best games for the year with him in. McKay is a bloody good footballer and was getting regular (and quite often unpressured) service, getting hands on the ball hasn't been his problem it's the finishing that's been his main issue. I personally think Tommo stays, as does Smith.

Unless there are absolute gun footballers that are direct replacements (say a Petty or Oliver) I say given them a body of games to prove their worth to the team. Our backline functions better with to key pillars complimenting the Lever interceptor. And JVR and Smith seemed to have space from each other which is actually what Roo needs, space to have his opponent one on one. I would expect more from Smith going forward, but giving him one game and dropping is going to do nothing for him or the team.

Bowser for Hibberd
Sparrow for for Oliver (Sparrow Sub)

• Like 8

So keen for this game!

Its a hard selection this week. I felt like our defensive structure was better with another tall in Tomlinson but at the same time Carlton aren’t very good so unsure what to take from it. Also feel like Rivers needs more time through the middle a little. Has speed to burn. Hope we can get under Maynard’s skin as he can do dumb things when he’s frustrated. I’m hoping we come out to play, be aggressive (with out going over the top).

Time to stop being the pies little b***h.

go dees! 

• Like 2

I think we’re playing one too many midgets in the forward line. With Chandler, Spargo, and Pickett, we are getting out marked a few times per match.

With Hibberd and Oliver coming back in this week, I wonder if one of the outs will be Chandler or Spargo. Tomlinson is also possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

In Hibberd and Oliver

Out Bowey and Harmes (suspended)

Chandler sub?