PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Carlton

Demonland

Just now, dl4e said:

Think I will have a few beers first. Then a good lie down. Post the Geelong game I only pencil us in for 3 games. There is probably a few iffies there as well and if we play better than the past 2 games should win. Straight after geelong we have GWS and St Kilda and I would not be picking us in them at the moment.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but we have to make the top 4 for any sort of chance.

On the last line I have no arguments. If we don’t make the top 4 we won’t win the flag. 

• Like 2

Why cant we or anyone win it from 5- 8?  Bulldogs 2016 won from 7th.

Finish 7-8th we likely get a MCG final. We finish in the top four we could be heading to the Gabba or Adelaide. Both nightmares expecially Port infront of 50,000 fans and four terrified umpires.

The cards fall your way in September and your in good form you can win it.

9 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Finish 7-8th we likely get a MCG final. We finish in the top four we could be heading to the Gabba or Adelaide. Both nightmares expecially Port infront of 50,000 fans and four terrified umpires.

It’s a rare occurrence and makes the journey much much harder. If you luck out with Victorian opponents then you might be a sneaky chance. But it’s definitely the least desirable way to get there for a reason. 

Obviously it is now clear we are a long, long way off the pace of Collingwood, who we play in two weeks time. Ultimately we are just making up numbers this season, but with two highish picks next season we hopefully can find a bit of run and a tougher mid-size quick-running forward/defender to help us out.

But this week it's Carlton and hopefully they will self-destruct in front of goals like they've done for five weeks.

Our two successive losses should spark Goody to feel compelled to actually make changes and also realise that he needs to restructure for the following week to save a KB Monday massacre.

Clearly Ben Brown has to play instead of T-Mac, but Chandler's run is over (gees he was clever for six weeks, but his size makes it really hard to be effective in the winter) and ANB and Spargo weren't much better. We need another small forward and to me it's about time we moved outside the 'boring' and sent Jake Bowey there - I'd accept Salem going forward as well, but maybe that's one for the Pies weekend.

People calling for McVee's omission are missing why he's been playing - he's our quickest defender - we got rid of Hunt remember. He is required for Motlop and then Bobbie Hill. 

But I accept that we need to find a third tall defender - Lever's game against Freo was appalling and we can't leave him on TDK - we can leave him on McKay because Harry is self-destructing anyway, although he probably won't play this week. Tomlinson fans have a point based on his VFL form, but those who watched his game against Essendon know why he can't play. To me, with Petty out we have to go back to Joel Smith as a defender who can be swung forward late if necessary - you are allowed to swing players Goody - they used to do that in the old days and Neale Daniher was one of the best at doing it - Ron Barassi even better. Read up your coaching manual Goody - there is no rule that says a player must stay in the position he started! Part of the reason we need Smith is that he is quick - again we lack pace and in two weeks we are up against one of the three quickest sides in the league - Essendon and Sydney are the others. 

The other frustrating thing was that Grundy played just 69%, T.Mac 80% - who would you rather have on the field, even if they are playing forward? I think we can add some pace by going back to just two talls up forward with Fritter the third tall. We will need the pace against the Pies.

And while on the sub, Goody still hasn't figured out that it is for impact players - I'm sorry JJ is a nice mid, but he doesn't impact. Melky does. JVR would too, if left out to go small. Spargo probably would as well if left out to start big. Figure it out Goody please.

And while we are at it. The next two weeks are perfect for testing out if tagging makes a difference. Both Viney and Harmes should be told to play tight - this week it's Harmes on Walsh, next week it's Viney on N.Daicos, Harmes on De Goey.  

So here's my team and yes we should to be too good for Carlton, but the bigger picture is the following week.

In: Hunter, J.Smith, Brown

Out: McDonald, Chandler, JVR

B: Salem May J.Smith

HB: Brayshaw Lever Hibberd

C: Langdon Petracca Hunter

HF: Bowey Grundy Sparrow

F: Brown Fritsch Pickett

Ru: Gawn Harmes Viney

Int: Spargo, McVee, ANB, Rivers (JVR or Melksham sub)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

Think I will have a few beers first. Then a good lie down. Post the Geelong game I only pencil us in for 3 games. There is probably a few iffies there as well and if we play better than the past 2 games should win. Straight after geelong we have GWS and St Kilda and I would not be picking us in them at the moment.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but we have to make the top 4 for any sort of chance.

I’m with you actually

low conviction in a lot of games

• Like 1

In Brown,J.Smith,Hunter,Howes and Tomlinson

Out McVee, T.Mac , JVR , Harmes  Chandler.

Hunter to play Oliver's role . Howes to play wing. J.Smith to play forward pocket never to play back as he seems to get constantly injured in defence. Brown to play forward and ruck . Gawndy experiment failing. Tomlinson defence. It is time for Goody to make wholesale changes.  Lets forget about the below average form of the above average form of these players. Goody needs to send a message to his senior players that their performances are not up to scratch.

• Thinking 2

2 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Obviously it is now clear we are a long, long way off the pace of Collingwood, who we play in two weeks time. Ultimately we are just making up numbers this season, but with two highish picks next season we hopefully can find a bit of run and a tougher mid-size quick-running forward/defender to help us out.

But this week it's Carlton and hopefully they will self-destruct in front of goals like they've done for five weeks.

Our two successive losses should spark Goody to feel compelled to actually make changes and also realise that he needs to restructure for the following week to save a KB Monday massacre.

Clearly Ben Brown has to play instead of T-Mac, but Chandler's run is over (gees he was clever for six weeks, but his size makes it really hard to be effective in the winter) and ANB and Spargo weren't much better. We need another small forward and to me it's about time we moved outside the 'boring' and sent Jake Bowey there - I'd accept Salem going forward as well, but maybe that's one for the Pies weekend.

People calling for McVee's omission are missing why he's been playing - he's our quickest defender - we got rid of Hunt remember. He is required for Motlop and then Bobbie Hill. 

But I accept that we need to find a third tall defender - Lever's game against Freo was appalling and we can't leave him on TDK - we can leave him on McKay because Harry is self-destructing anyway, although he probably won't play this week. Tomlinson fans have a point based on his VFL form, but those who watched his game against Essendon know why he can't play. To me, with Petty out we have to go back to Joel Smith as a defender who can be swung forward late if necessary - you are allowed to swing players Goody - they used to do that in the old days and Neale Daniher was one of the best at doing it - Ron Barassi even better. Read up your coaching manual Goody - there is no rule that says a player must stay in the position he started! Part of the reason we need Smith is that he is quick - again we lack pace and in two weeks we are up against one of the three quickest sides in the league - Essendon and Sydney are the others. 

The other frustrating thing was that Grundy played just 69%, T.Mac 80% - who would you rather have on the field, even if they are playing forward? I think we can add some pace by going back to just two talls up forward with Fritter the third tall. We will need the pace against the Pies.

And while on the sub, Goody still hasn't figured out that it is for impact players - I'm sorry JJ is a nice mid, but he doesn't impact. Melky does. JVR would too, if left out to go small. Spargo probably would as well if left out to start big. Figure it out Goody please.

And while we are at it. The next two weeks are perfect for testing out if tagging makes a difference. Both Viney and Harmes should be told to play tight - this week it's Harmes on Walsh, next week it's Viney on N.Daicos, Harmes on De Goey.  

So here's my team and yes we should to be too good for Carlton, but the bigger picture is the following week.

In: Hunter, J.Smith, Brown

Out: McDonald, Chandler, JVR

B: Salem May J.Smith

HB: Brayshaw Lever Hibberd

C: Langdon Petracca Hunter

HF: Bowey Grundy Sparrow

F: Brown Fritsch Pickett

Ru: Gawn Harmes Viney

Int: Spargo, McVee, ANB, Rivers (JVR or Melksham sub)

Why won't McKay play? Or do you mean Lever 

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

That’s a huge call

Doubt it . 

As Key Forwards, Brown, McDonald, VanRooyen, Gawn/Grundy all lack mobility and agility. Having any three in the starting set up is all too predictable to the opposition plus our midfielders are almost compelled to bomb it in long. We are also exposed defensively.

Therefore, key forwards = J.Smith and either VanRooyen  OR Brown.

Grundy to ruck around the ground, Gawn to  take the majority of the centre bounces then drop back a ‘kick behind the play’ which would be particularly helpful in D50, especially this week if Curnow, McKay and De Koning are all forward. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Who is likely to be out for the Blues? They copped some injuries and suspension. Cerra suspended? Any word on the ankle injury to Cripps? Hewett will miss. They had no bench I. The last quarter, so interest to know who else they lost.

Newman, Hewett, Cerra and potentially Cripps will all miss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

As Key Forwards, Brown, McDonald, VanRooyen, Gawn/Grundy all lack mobility and agility. Having any three in the starting set up is all too predictable to the opposition plus our midfielders are almost compelled to bomb it in long. We are also exposed defensively.

Therefore, key forwards = J.Smith and either VanRooyen  OR Brown.

Grundy to ruck around the ground, Gawn to  take the majority of the centre bounces then drop back a ‘kick behind the play’ which would be particularly helpful in D50, especially this week if Curnow, McKay and De Koning are all forward. 

I actually don’t mind this.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Deebauched said:

History shows you it is very difficult.

• Like 1

Had the chance to watch the VFL replay from the weekend.

Imo Ben Brown moved as well as I have seen him since 2021. He actually didn't look as stagnant as he has for the past 12 months.

Whilst he only kicked the 1 goal, he roamed bit further up the ground and moved well.

I'd chuck him in for either Tmac or JVR if they feel he needs a rest.

• Thanks 7
  • Thinking 1

Is it worth throwing Tmac down back and allow lever to be the third tall. Since Petty was just starting to show a bit down forward, keep him there. I just don’t trust Tomo enough to bring him back in. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Despite the criticism it’s funny how Tomlinson, Schache and Brown were our three best players for Casey on Saturday and by some margin.!!!

• Like 3

Fed-up, irrational me: Drop Kysaiah Pickett. Dude needs a wake-up call. His five-minute cameos shouldn’t be enough to guarantee selection week in, week out. 

Logical, rational me: maybe don’t listen to that other guy. 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 2

Our defence is a concern with Curnow and McKay, both are genuine guns. Their kicking is off for sure but they get plenty of looks. May goes to one, Lever to the other and then we are lost at sea

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Despite the criticism it’s funny how Tomlinson, Schache and Brown were our three best players for Casey on Saturday and by some margin.!!!

To be fair, this is what I would expect from 3 senior, experienced players trying to break back into the senior side. 

• Like 2

We've been very fortunate with other top four contenders dropping games in Brisbane, Geelong, and Dogs. Let's go into the Collingwood game with a head of steam... my proposed tweaks against Carlton.

With Salem now back, give Bowey some run up the ground, he can hit the scoreboard and is an elite decision maker and kick. We need some class in the middle desperately and he's a competitor.

Bring in Tomlinson as the third tall to give Lever a licence to roam. Our flag year this was the best setup... Let's give it another go. 

Drop TMac for BBB. People are quick to forget BBB was in great form the first couple of rounds of the season, let's give him another go... Unfortunately I think McDonald is cooked. 

• Like 7

We need to change the lineup and dynamic as we are too predictable. The taller our forwards, the more we bomb it to the goal square.

Out McDonald, Harmes, Jordan, and if injured Grundy

In- Smith, Woewodin, Tomlinson and Hunter. 

Tomlinson needs to play and on form would be ahead of Lever as a pure defender. Lever has been putrid this year with Petty being shuffled forward. We need accountability down back, not dropped chest marks. 

• Sad 1