POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs Walyalup

Demonland

19 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

from where i sat on the wing, super ordinary game between two pretty ordinary sides

Which wing? If you were on the Southern wing, you would have seen a lot of footy close up. If you were on the members wing with me you spent most of the day looking at the f**king big screen to work out what was happening. 

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

This place is nuts today!

Let’s all talk down when we won the Premiership! That is actually insane.

I love your passion but facts are facts, I said last year after round 9 or ten we won't win the flag and we won't win it this year, we are still playing 2021 football teams have changed their style just as the cats had to change their style last year, but if the pies had played them I believe they would have beaten the cats, we have not changed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Which wing? If you were on the Southern wing, you would have seen a lot of footy close up. If you were on the members wing with me you spent most of the day looking at the f**king big screen to work out what was happening. 

yeah, i'm afl members

actually calling it 'ordinary' is being generous

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

We could have Hudson at FF and JC at CHF and it would make no difference. JVR is not the problem.                                                                                   

Will go one further if Jesus was there he would not get a kick.

6 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Bit harsh on Jordan he only gets a short run bit hard to get into the flow of the game.

JJ is an onfield 'pathway' player, robbed of playing that role except when he has no other choices (probably from the coaches). When he does go the footpath in possession of the ball and its disposal, boy(!) can that bloke play! More complete game time, please, for this fella. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Spargo

ANB

Harmes

McVee

Salem

Gawn

Lever

Jordan

Chandler

JVR

TMac

That's a lot of passengers for a team to carry.

Schache

Laurie

Woewodin

Turner

They should all play next week, we need the passion of youth

Whoa. I know we were bad, but the answer is not to bring in even bigger passenegers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

Such poor connection through the middle and into the forward line. 

I now just assume that players such as ANB and even Brayshaw will more often than not cough it up.

Here’s disposal efficiency for those moving through the middle 

Viney 37%
ANB 44%
Brayshaw 52%
Grundy 53%
Petracca 58%
Harmes 64%
Pickett 64%
Langdon 74%
Sparrow 78%
Salem 79%
Gawn 87%

In contrast, I could only find 1 Walyalup player on 50% and almost all were 60-70% plus and they were facing just as much pressure as us. 

The decision making and skill errors behind those numbers are killing us. 

Thinking a lot clearer in Nairobi compared to the coaching box.

• Haha 2

Back in 2021 the players were basically stuck with each other due to covid restrictions. They bonded and came together as a team. They were united.

We played some amazing footy. No one can take that from us.

Also the players are 2 years older now. 

But I just feel we'll never see this talent fullfilled.

Players after 2021 said we want to win it on the G in front of the fans. Well where's that motivation?

Edited by dees189227
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Observing the players today it was interesting. The amount of players that were hunched over, just walking, max banging his hands when he dropped a mark or missed a tackle and there was no positive encouragement. 

It doesn't look like we're having fun or enjoying footy at the moment.

It’s an interesting point. At the game I felt a bit the same… something is definitely flat in the  group.

• Like 3

Disappointed in our forward line delivery. 

Our strategy seems to be bomb it in, hope for a mark (no one is getting to the drop of the ball, hitting the pack from the side, or they compete againsteach other). They can't be hoping for a front and centre small, as there isn't anyone positioned well enough, or our smalls are also competing for the the mark.

No change of angles off the line, or switching. 

That over handballing, as well as balls to players under pressure, I don't get it! The runners need to be moving to space not to the congestion. Gee, we didn't use the space the MCG offers very well. 

Nearly stole it again, but our process and structures to finish off close games is not good enough. Why not play the entire game with the sought of endeavour they show, when it is ten minutes to go. Our defensive structures keep us close, though difficult, when ineffective when we had the ball, and Waly was getting multiple entries, causing them to struggle.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Back in 2021 the players were basically stuck with each other due to covid restrictions. They bonded and came together as a team. They were united.

We played some amazing footy. No one can take that from us.

Also the players are 2 years older now. 

But I just feel we'll never see this talent fullfilled.

I actually said to my wife I reckon the players need to go away for a few weeks (doesn’t have to be anywhere fancy) and just be together for a while to find a bit of the magic from the hubs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

the old one sided defensive boundary gameplan. Watch Casey.. they're even worse at it.

You'd think at Casey level at least they'd mix it up a little. Strangely enough at Casey one of the few players that likes to play the corridor is Mitch White who of course rarely trains with Goodwin's AFL team. I suspect he "forgets" the mantra

• Like 1

Some people gave Salem votes but I thought he was ordinary especially in the first half, no chase and run or desire to tackle or defend.

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Some dude was just chanting "Freo" and someone yelled out to go home to which he replied "I am home, I live in Fitzroy" to anyone that wanted to listen. 

Ie. Why are there so many Freo fans here?

Why are there so many Freo fans here?

Haemorrhoid removals are cheaper here, and the waiting-for-surgery timeframes are almost nil.  

• Haha 2

Two words: Anthony Burgess. 

Wait no not him, the one who went to Adelaide. I wonder if a 10% lack of fitness and stamina plays a big role in us always looking like we’re desperately chasing, crowded, always in a flap, never any space or time to lower the eyes or make decisions. 

When we were clearly very fit in ‘21 it always felt like we were in front, with an extra metre on the oppo. Whilst it looks like individual skills have gone out the window this year, all the desperate hospital passes etc, I wonder how much has to do with never really having the speed/endurance to create space, consider options, time to execute, execution to someone who also has enough strength to get in/find position etc. You can’t execute well with someone always breathing down your neck. 

it’s not everything, but it could be something…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, —coach— said:

I actually said to my wife I reckon the players need to go away for a few weeks (doesn’t have to be anywhere fancy) and just be together for a while to find a bit of the magic from the hubs.

Do what Collingwood and Port are doing. Are they Hubbing up?