PREGAME: Rd 05 vs Essendon

Demonland

4 hours ago, Nascent said:

We certainly can, one will have to drop out when Gawn comes back though.

Yep. 

Goody's preferred set up for the last two seasons is two talls and the resting ruck. 

Essentially jvr is playing Jackson's role atm -albeit less ruck time.

Petty has basically played bb's role- with a defensive forward twist.

As you say, when maxy comes back, and assuming bb and tmac are both fit, a tall has to come out.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Exactly. Cricket was Sponsored by B&H Cigarettes for years until it was banned. 
There are many Companies who would step up their exposure, if Gambling and Betting ads were banned, as they should be. 

Ask anyone old enough the most famous sponsor for McLaren were, guarantee they'll get it right.

Infact my choice of brand for my first packet of cigarettes was based on them being a Williams sponsor.

Edited by AzzKikA

In exciting news, we’re holding an open training session at 2:15pm on Saturday afternoon at North Adelaide football club, according to MFC media.

I make that 85 minutes before we play Essendon, assuming our media department are on point.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1305603/demons-set-to-host-open-training-session-in-adelaide

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deejammin' said:

I think we definitely prefer 3 tall forwards, usually two forwards and a resting Grundy/Gawn. I think if we get nice weather we’ll go with BBB, JVR and TMac moving Petty back. However, this week if it is wet as forecast I think BBB stays out and JJ comes into the squad with either Melksham, Laurie or Dunstan as sub. Three tall forwards, three tall backs and a ruck is too top heavy for the wet, assuming Lever gets up of course. 

Weather forecast suggests armageddon during our match.

Might be better to play Jordan as sub and bring him on for a tall if super ugly

Tracc could then play more time forward once JJ is subbed in

• Like 1

So it matters to the SA Govt, as I understand it the other States are trying to climb all over each other to host the next one. So as I said; the crowds at the non SA team games don't matter. The SA govt would be well pleased with the amount of free media exposure this is generating.

Just had a look at tickets for the Richmond v Swans game on Friday night. Most sections have been exhausted with some availability in the nose bleed section only.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Ask anyone old enough the most famous sponsor for McLaren were, guarantee they'll get it right.

Infact my choice of brand for my first packet of cigarettes was based on them being a Williams sponsor.

Rothmans?

2 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

I assume we have no FTA antenna based on your post!  So it is essentially a rebranded monitor in its current form.  It's a Samsung Frame TV that my housemate supplied.  Shows pretty art most of the time until you turn the TV on, and leaves the living room with an eerie cool blue glow at night since the motion sensor seems to think someone's in the room 24/7 (terrible waste of power).

maybe check to see if there is an antenna and wall plug to connect it to tv (usually with a tv coax cable). Most rental places have an antenna (even if crappy) and at least one wall plug somewhere.

if not, you can buy a cheap indoor antenna. some are quite good depending on your area.

apologies if you already know this stuff. i'm not meaning to tell you how to suck eggs

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, daisycutter said:

maybe check to see if there is an antenna and wall plug to connect it to tv (usually with a tv coax cable). Most rental places have an antenna (even if crappy) and at least one wall plug somewhere.

if not, you can buy a cheap indoor antenna. some are quite good depending on your area.

apologies if you already know this stuff. i'm not meaning to tell you how to suck eggs

It's very welcome because I definitely did not know this stuff!  I can diagnose internet problems with aplomb but have learnt more about this TV based on this thread than in the rest of my life, thanks Daisy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

It's very welcome because I definitely did not know this stuff!  I can diagnose internet problems with aplomb but have learnt more about this TV based on this thread than in the rest of my life, thanks Daisy!

all good. I know talking to my son many of his friends never use fta tv, its all internet videos and streaming. They never buy a newspaper or watch news on the tv. In fact many don't even use a home computer and do everything on their phone or stream to the tv. One of his friends is a self employed tradie without a vehicle. gets around by public transport with a big backpack. has supplier ship all materials direct to client and borrows client ladder etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

all good. I know talking to my son many of his friends never use fta tv, its all internet videos and streaming. They never buy a newspaper or watch news on the tv. In fact many don't even use a home computer and do everything on their phone or stream to the tv. One of his friends is a self employed tradie without a vehicle. gets around by public transport with a big backpack. has supplier ship all materials direct to client and borrows client ladder etc.

You've profiled me correctly then - all computer, streaming, online news and public transport!  Not a tradie but I can build a timber floor from scratch (but don't ask me to use the power saw) haha

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

You've profiled me correctly then - all computer, streaming, online news and public transport!  Not a tradie but I can build a timber floor from scratch (but don't ask me to use the power saw) haha

must be fun taking every plank by public transport to bunnings to get them cut to length then 😂

just joshing

• Haha 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, JimmyGadson said:

Can't see Brown coming back after T-Mac's game.

And playing TMac and Brown in the same forwardline with Fritsch would be unwise imo given their lack of defensive pressure. (Although Fritsch has been surprising me with his chasing efforts of late).

I think it'll be Hibberd out and Laurie in with Rivers to go back to defence.

Laurie had a cracker in the VFL and was unlucky to go out and provides another point of difference as a mid rotation who can play forward too.

Outs: Hibberd

Ins: Laurie

Laurie not up to it at this stage one change... BBB for Hibbo!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dworship said:

So it matters to the SA Govt, as I understand it the other States are trying to climb all over each other to host the next one. So as I said; the crowds at the non SA team games don't matter. The SA govt would be well pleased with the amount of free media exposure this is generating.

Umm the crowds at the non SA games are in many ways the entire point of the round. 

But they hardly have to be sellouts. Just enough to total a solid influx of tourists.

They’ve structured the round to put 3 low drawing games at small venues to hide the smaller attendances. Then the double headers, which makes Richmond Sydney the only standalone big venue game of the neutrals.

It’s all about attracting 30-50k tourists who will then spend the 10M or whatever they’ve paid out back in to the economy. If it wer3 9 games with completely neutral sides that would only have to be 4K a game.

I bet when they try this next year or the year after in Sydney they’ll have someone out in Homebush playing in front of 2000 odd people but the round in total will get 40-50k tourists. Especially when it’s in somewhere attractive to visit.

Im still dead against it but the numbers will add up to make it worthwhile for the governments. Or at least worthwhile enough that they can claim it is whilst they’re enjoying their free meal and game of footy with Gil’s replacement. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, layzie said:

I don't really Mcqueen, I just chose this topic to become a total contrarian about. Everyone gets one 😛

While I do think it's a shiny object idea I do hope it's a success for the city of Adelaide and the people who attend. 

All good bro. 

I know you want to become a closet WA lad so give some love to the SA footy public too.

I hope it comes to WA next year. 
I think it’s a ripper idea. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 11:18 AM, Kozzie4PM said:

Did Selwyn say it had a substantial impact?

In the podcast he mentioned that they typically use the bye round to do an additional running load block which helps set up fitness levels for the back half of the year. He mentioned that last year they didn’t have that ability but he didn’t say how heavily it impacted the program.

• Like 3

The 6 day turnaround from Perth is nothing at this time of year.

We're at peak fitness right now, all it means is that we'll have a more recovery focused week on the track.

Posters put way too much emphasis on short turnarounds. And if we're at any disadvantage because of it, one could argue that we have a larger core group of 25-28 years who are in peak physical condition compared to the Bombers who are younger and less developed.

Stop thinking so much about turnarounds, [censored]. 

We will win if we bring our game, rain, hail or shine.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yes... it matters big time as this is what the SA Govt has spent millions to achieve... tourists aka supporters of non Adelaide clubs

I'm quite interested to see how many people they end up drawing to Radelaide considering it's the round after Easter when a lot of people already went away for 3-4 days.

Also (high chance this is just a me thing), I only found out this time last week that this whole 'gather round' was even a thing. Have the SA Govt been spending ads in places I haven't seen??

17 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Stadiums will be empty for the non Adelaide team games.

May not have been the main topic of this comment, but we were pretty good at winning in empty or near empty stadiums in 2021.  Plus whatever 'neutral' Adelaide supporters are there, would they rather support us or Essendon?  I think with the exciting brand of footy we are playing at the moment, I'd rather watch that as a neutral supporter than the messy slops Essendon were dishing up last week.

4 hours ago, BoBo said:

I'm quite interested to see how many people they end up drawing to Radelaide considering it's the round after Easter when a lot of people already went away for 3-4 days.

I'd suspect that's exactly why they've timed it as they have many people take the 4 days off this week as well and, so then it's about attracting some of those people to Adelaide for more than just the weekend, to stay longer and spend more tourist dollars.

• Like 3

Having heard/read a rumor that Lever may (pardon the pun) not be quite right, I'd be seriously looking at throwing Petty back and BBB as the third/second rotating key forward.

A few reasons for this:

T Mac is back to decient form and providing a the big mussel / contested marking forward up there again now and draws the more established KPB away from JVR.  Lessens the need for Petty up there.

I didn't think Petty made as bigger impact up forward as I'd expected.  He looks a bit lost and out of position at times and if he misses the mark, I think guys like T Mac and BBB actually have a more established sense of how to stay involved and or kick opportunist goals once the ball hits the deck.

Petty playing back is such a valuable asset to us.  His ability to take big contested intercept marks down back and lock down an opponent is really important IMHO, particularly since we don't really have Gawn floating back down there at the moment.

It's not that I think it was a huge mistake to throw Petty forward and give him a go down there, but for me it's run it's course for now and, so I think we should just park it unless the need really arises again.  I actually think Petty would be better used up forward sporadically within games when we might be struggling to take grabs up forward, just to create a mismatch, throw the  break things open a bit for the odd goal here or there if the game is in a bit of a stalemate or we badly need to get our selves back into a game.  Using Steven May in this way would also be worthy of consideration here and there as well.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, McQueen said:

All good bro. 

I know you want to become a closet WA lad so give some love to the SA footy public too.

I hope it comes to WA next year. 
I think it’s a ripper idea. 

That's correct McQueen, I do love WA 🙂 Can't wait to get back over again.

I also really like the city of Adelaide believe it or not, some spots in the CBD are just so picturesque and Mt Lofty has the best view. This country has plenty to offer.

Hope the people attending have a great time. 

• Like 2