Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson

Supreme_Demon

Personally I am expecting to see Jefferson breaking into the team sometime in 2024 after two pre-seasons and building into a 6’5” 94-96kg strong marking straight kicking forward to support JVR. However that will depend on  TMac and BBB’s ability to keep him out of the side. Loved the Jefferson family celebrations that he was coming to Dees, possibly helped by WCE not calling out his name.!!!

• Like 9

10 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think the highlights are overselling his ground ball work. 

Pre-injury Charlie Curnow was mobile enough to  play as a midfielder. I don't think Jefferson is anywhere near that level of mobility.

But he's got a touch of class when he gets the ball which is the sign of a good player. And he's well aware that he has to contribute in that aspect of play which I really like.

I love the Jarrad Waite call. He was a key forward with a heap of talent  and nice all-round game who really took until late in his career to get the best out of himself.

El Jefe compares himself to Naughton who is just insanely brave and also probably the best pack mark from any key forward. Yeah, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Curnow had a strong endurance base (despite draft year injury issues) and had a stronger, more solid frame when he came in.

Like the Waite call, I also see a bit of Sam Reid with Jefferson as well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Curnow had a strong endurance base (despite draft year injury issues) and had a stronger, more solid frame when he came in.

Like the Waite call, I also see a bit of Sam Reid with Jefferson as well.

Yeah both good comparisons. Frame wise he looks a bit like Hipwood. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

So, now we do a quick trade to jump into the early picks tomorrow and grab Barnett & Keeler, added to Jefferson and our new rookie Faris-White, and we'll have a solid 8m draft.

Only ONE( 37 ) or 39 as it is of now selection we are going to do tonight and  neither Barnett or Keeler will be available at  that pick. Have to trade up possibly to be any chance. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Can you elaborate? 

It's no secret that our team & gamestyle is built around competitors & toughness - players who will win 1v1s, punch above their weight (so to speak), and bring 2nd/3rd efforts. We're not a beautifully skilled team, our gameplan isnt attractive or free flowing. We're down & dirty. We win contests. This is why we wanted to trade up for Humphrey & had George in mind - brutes who play with authority & power. These are typical JT picks - Sparrow, Jordan, Bedford, etc. - none were the most polished or skilled players but they never die wondering. This is his MO & is his philosophy on how AFL footy should be played.  

From what we know Jefferson goes a little against the grain in this regard. HIs 'contested' marks (at least via highlights) aren't truly contested in a body sense - they're run & jump, outreach. He appears nice and agile & I like the groundball stuff I see in the videos, but apparently those moments are few & far between. Seems a nice kid without too many hard edges. There are some obvious parallels to Weideman across all these attributes...long reach, nice kick, nice skills, good athlete, nice guy. We waited years for Sam to add to his frame thinking this would improve his physicality but ultimately, he just couldn't take contested marks when he was bodied early. He doesn't play with any authority. KPFs in AFL without authority don't make the grade.    

Jefferson looks like a nice player, but his style would typically work well in a team that moves the ball quickly and kick to his advantage or an isolated/space situation where he has freedom to run at the footy. Weideman would do well in this type of team as well, and I expect he will be improved at the Bombers for this reason (+, nothing like a club change to pull your head out), noting their style under B Scott is TBD & their inability to win contest is why they've not recently been as good a team as us. 

I just think it doesn't feel like a Melbourne pick. A part of me thinks JT doesn't quite know how to pick KPFs - his preferred attributes (toughness, competitiveness, heart) are rarely seen in underage key forwards because Height, not power, is why kids are told to play forward in junior footy. Its why key position players are such a crapshoot at the draft

In any case, all the players I preferred (maybe other than George, who's speculative in his own right) were off the board by the time we picked, so I have no issue with it. We've filled a need, he's a great height, and its all in front of him as to where he can go. I'm behind him 100%. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

A young raw key position forward.  Jefferson takes some good marks and has a simple kicking technique.  He drops a few as well and looked awkward in his second efforts.  Like a young Max King is how I’d describe Jefferson.  We need to be patient.  He needs lots of protein shakes, gym work for 3 years and a determination to succeed.  
Drafting young key forwards is a risky choice.  From Cook to Weideman to Hulett, we’ve not been successful.  Yet with BBB on one leg and Tmcd on the other side of 33, the outlook for a future of a JVR and Jefferson combo is the opportunity that ultimately looked the deciding motivation for JT.  

Tmac is not 33 ! Just 30 . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm no mathematician but I have heard of the law of averages and based on that law surely we are due to finally draft a successful key position forward. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe we've ever drafted a key forward that's gone on to have a career. Lyon and Schwarz didn't come in through the draft. Neiter was recruited as a back and started his career back before going forward out of necessity when Lyon retired. Robbo was brilliant but not a key forward. I didn't realise Neiter like Robbo was from Tassie. T Mac was recruited as a back. 

The only key forwards I can think of that MFC have drafted are not in order Newton, Molan Cook, Weideman and now Jefferson. My genius mathematical brain tells me statistically we are clearly due for Jefferson to be a Coleman medal winning success. 

Edited by Its Time for Another
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

He kicked 7 against WA for Victoria, so he is no faint heart and he is to good looking to be compared with Hipwood. He isn’t Cadman who went No.1 but he is now ours and deserves some positivity and reassurance that he has been picked up because he is good enough and we wish him all the best.!!

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

From what we know Jefferson goes a little against the grain in this regard. HIs 'contested' marks (at least via highlights) aren't truly contested in a body sense - they're run & jump, outreach. He appears nice and agile & I like the groundball stuff I see in the videos, but apparently those moments are few & far between. Seems a nice kid without too many hard edges. There are some obvious parallels to Weideman across all these attributes...long reach, nice kick, nice skills, good athlete, nice guy. We waited years for Sam to add to his frame thinking this would improve his physicality but ultimately, he just couldn't take contested marks when he was bodied early. He doesn't play with any authority. KPFs in AFL without authority don't make the grade.    

Jefferson looks like a nice player, but his style would typically work well in a team that moves the ball quickly and kick to his advantage or an isolated/space situation where he has freedom to run at the footy. Weideman would do well in this type of team as well, and I expect he will be improved at the Bombers for this reason (+, nothing like a club change to pull your head out), noting their style under B Scott is TBD & their inability to win contest is why they've not recently been as good a team as us. 

I just think it doesn't feel like a Melbourne pick. A part of me thinks JT doesn't quite know how to pick KPFs - his preferred attributes (toughness, competitiveness, heart) are rarely seen in underage key forwards because Height, not power, is why kids are told to play forward in junior footy. Its why key position players are such a crapshoot at the draft

I think that's fairly reasonable and I've had similar thoughts, especially with JT going for Weid over Curnow and McKay (and a bid on Hipwood).

They had visions of Weid as a big pack crasher from an early age and whilst he could occasionally do that he often couldn't get his timing right. Weid really struggled to be a dynamic athlete too, the burst off the mark and change of direction just weren't there. And he didn't pick the ball up in flight quick enough at AFL level. 

There's so few 1 on 1 key defenders left these days and they're encouraged to attack contest and mark. It's not a wrestling contest as the ball arrives all that often. The wrestling still happens, but generally before the contest. Jefferson will have to get fitter and stronger to beat that style of defending but he has a chance.

His contested marks aren't big push and shove style but his bravery and ability to contort his body, his reach plus his timing on his leads provides some hope. Hopefully he has the smarts and physical gifts to beat defenders in multiple ways, which then means he can set them up being unaware if he's going lead or jump on their heads.

He can thrive in our current game style the way Ben Brown did at the end of 2021. But yeah, he'll have to do his share of dirty work and make some ugly entries look prettier than they are. If he's up for the scrap he can succeed.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Its Time for Another said:

I'm no mathematician but I have heard of the law of averages and based on that law surely we are due to finally draft a successful key position forward. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe we've ever drafted a key forward that's gone on to have a career. Lyon and Schwarz didn't come in through the draft. Neiter was recruited as a back and started his career back before going forward out of necessity when Lyon retired. Robbo was brilliant but not a key forward. I didn't realise Neiter like Robbo was from Tassie. T Mac was recruited as a back. 

The only key forwards I can think of that MFC have drafted are not in order Newton, Molan Cook, Weideman and now Jefferson. My genius mathematical brain tells me statistically we are clearly due for Jefferson to be a Coleman medal winning success. 

Hogan? JVR? Nick 426 Smith?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Let's hope that he's a graceful, slick player.

I was sure you were going to admonish me from a grammar perspective.

The joke would have worked better if the band's name was Jefferson's Airplane, not Jefferson Airplane

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, M_9 said:

"Cook was a Barry Prendergast brain fart. I can’t see how this could be any comparison whatsoever."

That may be so but Casey did us no favour by recruiting Fevola which stymied Cook's development.

Fevola demanded to be played at FF and Cook didn't have the body to be played at CHF.

Not sure how well JVR and MJ will develop if they're side by side at Casey.

IMO a tad different than playing two talls in the Seniors FF line.

t

Jefferson is probably at least one full year behind JVR, who I hope will play more games at MFC than Casey 2023.   
By 2024 hopefully he will be ready to start to slot in to BBB’s slot, who will surely be ready for pasture by then. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Demonland said:

7 Goal Haul vs Western Australia

I do not mean to be a Debbie Downer, and have full confidence that this kid will make it at AFL level, but those 7 goals were not exactly the result of pure dominant play. 3 came from infringements, two of which were iffy. A couple were Joe the Goose goals, and then there were some impressive lead marks and pack grabs, which really impressed. 

I have heard that his key asset is his sure hands. This came from kid who played alongside him in the NAB League. Obviously he is skinny and will need a lot of time to 'fill out'. Hopefully he does that over the next 2-3 years and can be a wonderful FF for the MFC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAG007 said:

Aaron Naughton in his draft year

Height: 194.0cm

Weight: 85.0kg

Matthew Jefferson

Height: 195.0cm

Weight: 84.0kg

Very similar

The other thing that is Naughton like is his hang time in the air! A veeeerry useful commodity!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Personally I am expecting to see Jefferson breaking into the team sometime in 2024 after two pre-seasons and building into a 6’5” 94-96kg strong marking straight kicking forward to support JVR. However that will depend on  TMac and BBB’s ability to keep him out of the side. Loved the Jefferson family celebrations that he was coming to Dees, possibly helped by WCE not calling out his name.!!!

Nice mix of imperial and metric measures. Reminds me of US gas station pricing where they weirdly mix decimals and fractions.

Gas prices grow along with inflation as this sign at a gas station shows in San Diego

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think that's fairly reasonable and I've had similar thoughts, especially with JT going for Weid over Curnow and McKay (and a bid on Hipwood).

They had visions of Weid as a big pack crasher from an early age and whilst he could occasionally do that he often couldn't get his timing right. Weid really struggled to be a dynamic athlete too, the burst off the mark and change of direction just weren't there. And he didn't pick the ball up in flight quick enough at AFL level. 

There's so few 1 on 1 key defenders left these days and they're encouraged to attack contest and mark. It's not a wrestling contest as the ball arrives all that often. The wrestling still happens, but generally before the contest. Jefferson will have to get fitter and stronger to beat that style of defending but he has a chance.

His contested marks aren't big push and shove style but his bravery and ability to contort his body, his reach plus his timing on his leads provides some hope. Hopefully he has the smarts and physical gifts to beat defenders in multiple ways, which then means he can set them up being unaware if he's going lead or jump on their heads.

He can thrive in our current game style the way Ben Brown did at the end of 2021. But yeah, he'll have to do his share of dirty work and make some ugly entries look prettier than they are. If he's up for the scrap he can succeed.

Very well put

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jontee said:

How many goals do we think Jeffo will kick in the last quarter of the GF?

Maybe Frittata will pinch a few from him if he looks like passing 6 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

He kicked 7 against WA for Victoria, so he is no faint heart and he is to good looking to be compared with Hipwood. He isn’t Cadman who went No.1 but he is now ours and deserves some positivity and reassurance that he has been picked up because he is good enough and we wish him all the best.!!

Agree, but in their big matches so far in their careers (Jefferson and Cadman) - our newbie far outscored their newbie and did so consistently throughout these matches.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Matthew Jefferson! Very excited for this pick although patience will be a virtue. 

I’ve been solely AFLW focused for the last little while so read this whole thread in one go and it makes interesting reading. My overall impression is that many are suffering from MFCSS or not remembering where our club is at. Sure our finals were underwhelming but we were right in both games and with a little luck and one of our best players and Norm Smith medalist not breaking his leg in the first quarter of our first final I’m confident we would’ve been in at least a prelim. The dissatisfaction is a sign we’ve come a very long way, tell me ten years ago that we’d be worried about taking the second best tall forward in the draft after a premiership and a semi-final and I’d have laughed at you. 

The comparisons to Cook and Watts are also strange. Both came in at a time where the club was a desperate basket case with few star players, fewer who would get games at the best teams for the time, terrible leadership and culture, a revolving door of coaches, a recruiting and development team that had almost no successes and the worst financial and facility situation in the AFL. Max Gawn was still smoking on the way to training FFS! 
Compare that to now, our development is elite, watching our VFL team for the last few years the improvement in our young draftees is marked, do they always tear their way into the AFL side, no, but go back and compare Woewodin, Turner, Chandler, McVee, Laurie and JVR’s first games this year to their finals campaign, it’s night and day! 
Jefferson will come into an environment with two of the best players in the league (Trac and Clarry) will train against the best defenders in the league (May, Petty, Lever) will watch the best rucks in the league (Gawn, Grundy) and will have to fight his way into a team that had BBB, TMac, JVR, Fritsch, Schache and even Petty all ahead of him as forward options. He’s unlikely to play this year not just because he’s light framed but because there’s at least five forwards a swing man and two rucks ahead of him for KPF spots, and that’s not even including the potential for Smith, Tomlinson to change roles or Melksham to get his round 21-23 form happening. I don’t want to re-open the development vs talent debate but I’d bet that a Watts or Cook coming into this program would get a lot closer to elite AFL standard than they did.

Also I have a problem with the way Sam Weideman is, for the main part, talked about in this thread. He was not a total bust like a Cook, he was an almost. Both our AFL and AFLW premiership teams talk about how important the whole squad is and they mean it! Sam was a huge part of pushing BBB and TMac in 2021 and played a big part in our second place finish this season. His games against Essendon as FF, Brisbane as second ruck and the Bulldogs were ALMOST great. He also wasn’t always a terrible contested mark, he was a confidence player who lost confidence and got the fumbles at AFL level. Go back and watch how many almost marks he had this year. Watch his great contested mark against Freo just on half time when we were dominating in round 11. Go back and watch his first game against Hawthorn, his finals campaign in 2018. Watch his contested marks on Harry Taylor and Mark Blitsavs in our first final in donkeys years in 2018 against Geelong. Sam was almost what we needed, he didn’t quite get there, but he was also a key part of our premiership squad and deserves our respect. 

I hope Matt Jefferson is willing to work hard at VFL level this year and is pushing for selection in 2024, then we’ll be looking very good. My player to compare Matt to is Jhye Amiss, similar height and weight, similar attributes, good kicking, good marking, goal sense. Jhye played finals in a key position at AFL level this year. Those writing Matt off on a weight number should take note. Rip it up Jeffers!

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2