• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I’m swaying towards Schoenmacher as pick 11 if we take a mid with pick 6 and O’Sullivan is off the board. 
194 not considered KPD but looks to me like one who has some brutality about how he goes about it and love that left foot

I like him too but think pick 11 is overs. I’d expect if we were into him we would be auctioning the pick to slide back to somewhere that he’s still on the board, and improve our hand next year. Although such a move would negate the price paid during trade period to get to pick 11 in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AFL website

The League has invited around 15 players to attend proceedings in Melbourne, with the likes of Harley Reid, Colby McKercher, Zane Duursma, Jed Walter, Ryley Sanders, Nate Caddy, Nick Watson, Daniel Curtin and Jake Rogers all heading to the event.  They can invite up to 20 family and friends. 

Late riser Caleb Windsor, Tasmanian talent James Leake and Murray prospect Darcy Wilson have also all been invited, with West Australian Koltyn Tholstrup also on the invite list

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

AFL website

The League has invited around 15 players to attend proceedings in Melbourne, with the likes of Harley Reid, Colby McKercher, Zane Duursma, Jed Walter, Ryley Sanders, Nate Caddy, Nick Watson, Daniel Curtin and Jake Rogers all heading to the event.  They can invite up to 20 family and friends. 

Late riser Caleb Windsor, Tasmanian talent James Leake and Murray prospect Darcy Wilson have also all been invited, with West Australian Koltyn Tholstrup also on the invite list

Ethan Read and Connor O'Sullivan perhaps to round out the other invitees. Can't imagine we'll see another situation of a player being invited to the first night and not being selected like Robertson from a couple years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I’m swaying towards Schoenmacher as pick 11 if we take a mid with pick 6 and O’Sullivan is off the board. 
194 not considered KPD but looks to me like one who has some brutality about how he goes about it and love that left foot

I don’t see much brutality in his game, in fact the opposite. He’s highly skilled but shaky in the contest both in the air and with defensive accountability on the ground. Unless he has the tank for the wing or the pace to go with smalls across half back I’m not sure exactly what role he’d have. His attacking game would have to be so good to really carry him and whilst it’s very good I’m not sure it completely overrides his deficiencies. 

• Like 1

Sliding doors. 

“In the year of live trading being introduced to draft night, the Demons tried to be the first club to make a major move and called Port Adelaide while the Power were on the clock for their second pick, No.12 overall, after they had grabbed local forward Connor Rozee with No.5.

The Demons were armed with a future first-round pick to make a deal happen (that landed as No.3 the following season when they took Luke Jackson), but the conversation didn't last long. As the Power picked up the phone, their recruiting team had punched Butters' name into the online draft system. Melbourne hopes of moving up the board to get Butters and their willingness to part with their following season's top pick – were based purely on Butters being available “

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1

Wouldn’t mind us going taller at pick 6 curtin-caddy-O’Sullivan , then with pick 11 Harry demattia . Has great pace a nice long left boot and plays good two way footy . Think he has plenty of upside , only this year concentrating on footy ( instead of cricket)  once he goes into a afl system think he will be a star 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sliding doors. 

“In the year of live trading being introduced to draft night, the Demons tried to be the first club to make a major move and called Port Adelaide while the Power were on the clock for their second pick, No.12 overall, after they had grabbed local forward Connor Rozee with No.5.

The Demons were armed with a future first-round pick to make a deal happen (that landed as No.3 the following season when they took Luke Jackson), but the conversation didn't last long. As the Power picked up the phone, their recruiting team had punched Butters' name into the online draft system. Melbourne hopes of moving up the board to get Butters and their willingness to part with their following season's top pick – were based purely on Butters being available “

Absolutely a sliding doors moment.

Obviously can't predict how our seasons would pan out if this trade was successful, but this trade means no Luke Jackson and his influential 3rd quarter in the 21 flag.

Jackson has since netted us Jefferson and our top 6 pick this year as well as further draft capital utilised to bring us up to pick 11.

I love Butters (and hope we can trade him in at some point) but thank god that trade didn't eventuate.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Shoulder surgery obviously limited Butters’ exposure.

Interesting to read at the end another 2 cautionary tales of picking for size and potential over football ability (Hately and Collier-Dawkins).

Hately was an extremely well performed junior but so far has been too plain athletically to make an impact, his height was part of his potential I guess but overall his biggest weakness is lack of power. RCD had all the power in the world but not the footy smarts. 

Even with limited exposure Butters was better performed than RCD, but not as consistently good as Hately. Quicker, smarter, more skilled than both obviously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Melonmonster said:

I would love to know what write ups on Zak Butters where like post draft for him not to be a top 5 draft pick and if it compares to Windsor or a player like Leake .

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/zak-butters/

This is a much better write up that accurately sums up Butters' creativity and potential for damage with the ball, his athleticism and his potential.

In terms of whether he compares with Leake or Windsor I'd say he's not similar to either but Leake is the one who - whilst stylistically is much different - has a similar potential for impact in that he does dynamic things with a degree of class and could make a big impact.

Windsor to me is just a pure outside running player. He might be able to adapt that run to half forward or half back but what he does well is run the lines and kick well. He's a bit like a young Andrew Gaff or a more pure kicking version of Ed Langdon.

Whilst there's a chance he could develop an inside game or some forward craft to add strings to his bow I don't think it's likely. The hope is he does his strength - run and kick - at a very high level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Harley Reid, McKercher or Duursma aside if you're looking for a player with similar damaging midfield style to Butters in this draft then the hope would be Nick Watson can overcome his lack of size to do more in the midfield or at least up the ground. Or you'd be looking for Ryley Sanders to add more creativity because he's already very good at quick accurate disposals. Darcy Wilson has the athleticism of Butters and can at times be creative but I think he's better when he keeps it simple. Jake Rogers is more skilled than he gets credit for too. Otherwise I think you'll have to go all the way out to someone like my favourite Phoenix Gothard who's very much a small forward and hope you can develop his contested game.

It's such a thin list of midfielders yet alone guys with Butters' combination of skills and evasiveness. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hately was an extremely well performed junior but so far has been too plain athletically to make an impact, his height was part of his potential I guess but overall his biggest weakness is lack of power. RCD had all the power in the world but not the footy smarts. 

Even with limited exposure Butters was better performed than RCD, but not as consistently good as Hately. Quicker, smarter, more skilled than both obviously.

You obviously remember differently to me. Hately was just big, nothing else. The hope was probably that he’d turn into a Cripps type, but I have not been surprised in the slightest how his career has gone so far. He always felt like another Tomlinson at best.

• Like 1

Final power rankings from ESPN’s Jasper Chellappah. Has deviated a little  from the broad view of some players (eg Caddy higher, Watson lower than other rankings), which I like:

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/38843195/afl-draft-power-rankings-2023-jasper-chellappah-harley-reid-number-one-top-50-prospects

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Final power rankings from ESPN’s Jasper Chellappah. Has deviated a little  from the broad view of some players (eg Caddy higher, Watson lower than other rankings), which I like:

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/38843195/afl-draft-power-rankings-2023-jasper-chellappah-harley-reid-number-one-top-50-prospects

Zakostelsky now rated top 25, he’s attracting a fair amount of interest 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Constant Mongrel said:

I have a strange feeling we're gonna land McKercher.. Not sure how, but I reckon that we might be making moves for him. Heard nothing, just a vibe mannnn..

I reckon even if he was available, our preference would be Duursma. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In recent history the club doesn’t show their hand up until the very last minute. The players being mentioned thru the media are probably smoke screens. Duursma has been mentioned due to his connection at Casey/MFC. As a result I’m suspicious why McKercher has not been mentioned with the possibility of trading for pick 2 or 3. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 20:12, dazzledavey36 said:

i realise that its unfair and definitely illogical, but i can't help but compare duursma with his brother, who can be great, but is also super flakey..especially after his first season or two. it looks as though the new version is in a class above, but still, from the online games that i watched, not sure that he is what we need right now.. looks more like a pick from 10 on. i'd be happy to land duursma at our second pick, but not our first.