Dees as the Yardstick

Demonland

What May did was what Lloyd was talking about with Shiel. There was a lot of nonsense about Lloyd wanting them to go around and hit blokes (ironically he was a massive sniper back in the day). He was just saying that your passion to back up a mate can be focussed and that you should respond. Like the Dees.

Our teams ethos is caring in its brutality. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Loved the vision.

But not sure it made Lloyd's point. 

He was whining about the criticism from a small handful of people (nowhere near enough IMO) for advocating Sheils run through Parker at the ensuing center bounce (which he actually had the chance to do - but f he did he almost certainly have given away a free as it would have been off the ball).

To support his argument, the first bit of vision was may and Oliver taking the chance to hit Jones hard but fair was used as an example. But that is comparing apples and oranges.

For one thing May and Oliver bided their time and waited for opportunity to smash into Jones fairly x 3 in the flow of the game and in a way that was legal and no report were on the cards. Neither even gave away a free. 

And secondly Jones tunneled Langdon and could have seriously hurt him,  so that was much more serious than some stupid schoolyard teasing by Parker. I mean how could the incidents be compared?

The teasing didn't seem to bother Shiels, he laughed if off.

But it certainly did bother all these alpha ex footy meat heads who were incensed by some gestures questioning Shiels courage? No way they would have allowed an opposition player disrespect them back in the day.

And it is important to note that parker WAS TRYING to provoke a reaction and mess with Shiel's. Parker would have loved more than to receive a free in the center of the ground becuase he got in Shiels head. 

The rest of the vison was making a different point -  the bombers are not playing with enough intensity (not even close) and the dees are the benchmark for intensity and legal ferocity.

Hard to argue this, but at best it is tangential to his push back on the criticism he mentioned he had received.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, rpfc said:

What May did was what Lloyd was talking about with Shiel. There was a lot of nonsense about Lloyd wanting them to go around and hit blokes (ironically he was a massive sniper back in the day). He was just saying that your passion to back up a mate can be focussed and that you should respond. Like the Dees.

Our teams ethos is caring in its brutality. 

No he didn't. If that is what he said at the time then i'd have no isse with his comments

He stood in front of big TV screen, showed the Parker gestures and then showed the very next bounce, some 15 seconds later. He pointed to the screen (perhaps even slowed down the vison) and showed viewers where and how Shiels should have taken the chance to run through (my words) Parker.

He described it as a line in the sand moment. Please

Which would have almost certainly resulted in a free and possible report becuase it would have involved Shiels running past the ball to run into parker.

Lloyd is trying to rewrite history

• Like 1

I agree with Lloyd. He watched his old Club play “Bruise Free” Football, and he didn’t like it. I didn’t like it when the MFC played that style of game either. 
That was the beginning of our darkest days. 
Essendrug are in for years of pain and ridicule if they don’t respond very quickly. 
will they? Personally i hope they rot, but I fully understand what The Velvet Sledgehammer is saying 

• Like 6

When you've gone from deadset certain premiers to  cellar dwelling directionless rabble in 9 rounds, it probably is time for a line in the sand moment.

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Personally i hope they rot, but I fully understand what The Velvet Sledgehammer is saying 

This!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

When you've gone from deadset certain premiers to  cellar dwelling directionless rabble in 9 rounds, it probably is time for a line in the sand moment.

If I was a bomber fan, I'd prefer my line in the sand was all team intensity for 4 weeks in a row and some wins.

Not 1990s faux tough guy, cheap shot stylee 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

No he didn't. If that is what he said at the time then i'd have no isse with his comments

He stood in front of big TV screen, showed the Parker gestures and then showed the very next bounce, some 15 seconds later. He pointed to the screen (perhaps even slowed down the vison) and showed viewers where and how Shiels should have taken the chance to run through (my words) Parker.

Which would have almost certainly resulted in a free and possible report becuase it would have involved Shiels running past the ball to run into parker.

He’s not the most eloquent at the best of times - he very quickly referenced Melbourne and it’s ruthlessness in his first diatribe on this on SFS.

We have been where Essendon is and I don’t have a problem with what Lloyd said, or what he meant.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, binman said:

If I was a bomber fan, I'd prefer my line in the sand was all team intensity for 4 weeks in a row and some wins.

If I was a Bombers fan, I would want my team to emulate the awesome Melbourne team and play hard physical, but fair, football for 120 mins at a stretch. Win or lose. Set a benchmark.

A cheap shot would most likely serve as a distraction than a spur. But when you're desperate, maybe anything will serve.

Either way they can't continue on as they have been. Although it wouldn't bother me for a second if they do. In fact (brace yourselves for controversy) I would rather they did.

But, they've missed the moment. They've given the message to the football world that Shiel is soft (he might or might not be), that the Ess team as a whole are soft and indifferent, and that they play bruise free football. It's a crisis of their own making.

They've gotten ahead of themselves, gotten too fancy, and now their players apart from Wright have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. They need Tippa back more than they can imagine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

But, they've missed the moment. They've given the message to the football world that Shiel is soft (he might or might not be), that the Ess team as a whole are soft and indifferent, and that they play bruise free football. It's a crisis of their own making.

They've gotten ahead of themselves, gotten too fancy, and now their players apart from Wright have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. They need Tippa back more than they can imagine.

And Hird, because he will have a way of injecting some spine in them.

Edited by dworship
  • Haha 5

I know it’s not the intent of this thread but I wasn’t a big fan of Parker’s antics for a couple of reasons.

1. If we are serious about bullying then this behaviour qualifies. Many will say it’s part of the game and game of men etc etc. But I always come back to thinking about the kids that see this and how that behaviour can be used against more vulnerable children at school or on the footy field. I’m sure Dylan can handle the heat but after watching u10s was shocked as to how much the kids mimic afl players from umpire abuse, diving, etc.

2. it’s disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour that has no place on the footy field. I’m sure Horse has told Parker off that this isn’t what footy is about and you must respect your opponent no matter the circumstances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Essenscum have a couple of major problems (at least).

1. Like a few other clubs, (WCE, Norf and GWS come to mind) they are paying the wrong players big money.
  2. Absolutely no on field leadership whatsoever. Their last outstanding captain retired 17 years ago.

They haven’t reconciled themselves with the drug scandal. Their truth is one of persecution and unfair critique. They only cared about recovering not fixing their broken culture.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

Don’t think Lloyd was saying that at all. He just wanted them to be more like us

Edited by FarNorthernD

5 hours ago, binman said:

This line in the sand moment will certainly contaminate the contraband. Sand up sinuses will inevitably result.

• Haha 2

I had a massive smile on my face watching that video snippet about the Demons. 😁

It really is incredible how the culture and the attitude of the Demons players has changed.

You have to take your hat off to Simon Goodwin, the coaching staff and the entire team.

What an enormous turnaround from the dark days when we would be regularly belted by 100+ points in a game only a few years ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CYB said:

I know it’s not the intent of this thread but I wasn’t a big fan of Parker’s antics for a couple of reasons.

1. If we are serious about bullying then this behaviour qualifies. Many will say it’s part of the game and game of men etc etc. But I always come back to thinking about the kids that see this and how that behaviour can be used against more vulnerable children at school or on the footy field. I’m sure Dylan can handle the heat but after watching u10s was shocked as to how much the kids mimic afl players from umpire abuse, diving, etc.

2. it’s disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour that has no place on the footy field. I’m sure Horse has told Parker off that this isn’t what footy is about and you must respect your opponent no matter the circumstances.

I reckon this is a long bow. Bit of harmless theatre imv.

• Like 3