The Veil of Negativity is gone … forever?

DubDee

Just now, Wodjathefirst said:

Not all that many sleeps to go for you then 👍😊

But as "In Time" said on the latest pod. I'm just enjoying every week as we go atm. I sat through 11-13, so im taking full advantage of this period!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't think we were unlucky, I think Watts, Scully and Trengove were. They were forced, via the draft, to join a dysfunctional club which didn't provide an environment for them to thrive within. Compare that with players drafted today who join aware that the club knows what it's doing. 

The only 2 I feel sorry for are Trengove and Grimes...they gave 100%.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 4

After 57 years of pain and misery the "veil of negativity" is still somewhere deep in the lowest confinements of the Melbourne Football Club basement.

A Premiership drought of that long scars you psychologically. The amount of times I had been disappointed and frustrated in the past really affected me. At times I thought we would never win another Premiership.

I was over the moon to be proven wrong.

Nevertheless, we still need to win a Premiership here at our spiritual home ground the MCG so we can all really experience it in Melbourne.

After that, as others have said, we need to have long-term sustained success.

Going on my own personal calculations we need to win at least another 5 Premierships (1 for each decade) to make up for 57 years. I think that's only fair. HAHAHAHAHA! 😁😆😂

• Like 1

I guess it makes sense if people still revert to pessimism after being downtrodden for so long. 

It would be like writing right handed for decades only to switch to the left.

That said, it's not constructive nor reflective of who we are today.

Sometimes embracing the excitement can create more excitement. Look at what happened with Richmond once they won the 2017 Preliminary Final. They embraced the positivity and the best era in their last 40 years was the result.

I say lap it up.

6 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

How does this current team compare to the years 55-60? Both in playing personnel/style and in supporter expectations?

Not sure I can compare the team of the 50/60's to current as the game is so different. One thing from memory (as the game then was more one on one) but the Dee's stifled the opposition much like today We had good small men in Adams and Ridley and a tall forward line in Johnson, Marquis and later Lord. Of course there was Barassi - just being Barassi, Dixon was great on the wing and repelled many a ball. Bernie Massey was quite a favourite of mine, tough as nails as with Beckwith. In clearing the backline he seemed to always pick out the same people in the crowd to aim the ball at. No penalty in those days.

The Melbourne crowd, quite large then as winning does that to a club, I believe were never really smug but always expected to win. The same sort of reaction then as to now with opposition supporters. How can we beat Melbourne ( especially Collingwood fans back then). As a young lad heading to Richmond station  I had to cope with abuse and words I had never really heard before after the Woods beat us in 1958 GF having sat in the rain getting drenched. 59,60 & 64 made up for that.

Some of the girls sitting with me back then would be upset if I didn't mention Roet, Townsend, Emselle and Hassa Mann.

A lot of us from back then still catch up in the members.

Edited by MT64
Reads better.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been a fan since the very late 80s. I think of all the chaos and turmoil we've been through since just then. The list is endless and ridiculous. And then the past two years? Bennel going awol. Hunt and Trac playing touchies. Goody berating the doc. That's about it. Our admin is purring and I don't think I'll ever wear the veil again. If our club ever goes pear-shaped again I think I'll just get on with other things in my life. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

How does this current team compare to the years 55-60? Both in playing personnel/style and in supporter expectations?

I lived through that era as a young kid and saw them win four flags. As supporters we expected them to win every week, and mostly they did. They were a mighty team with stars on every line coached by the doyen of coaches then, the incomparable Norm Smith. They had a tough, attacking back line that was hard to score against, much like ours today except that defensive strategies were not nearly as technical and sophisticated as the ones we use now. The handball game hadn’t really evolved then, it was more a mark and kick game but with a lot of play on football. In my opinion it was a more brutal and physical game then with more than a little biffo being handed out. The rules today have been changed to take a lot of that physicality out of the game and protect players. Personally I loved the physicality and gladiatorial nature of the game and that was epitomised by the great Ronald Dale who never took a backward step, and woe betide anyone, including his teammates,  who got in the way of him and the ball. Ron was a superstar who iced Grannies for us and was BOG in three of them. He was the inspiration and template for Trac’s wonderful performance in our GF win last year. 
In all my many years of watching the Dees I have never seen such an outstanding and dominant midfield as Maxie, Trac, Clarrie and Jack. In my humble opinion Clarrie is the best midfielder I have ever seen play for the MFC , with Trac a close second.

I am one of those Demon diehards that literally waited all of those 57 years to see them win their 13th flag. It was worth enduring all of those mostly bleak years to see our beloved Dees become the wonderful team they are today. Enjoy the ride ‘Landers, it is truly inspiring  for us all to see our club arise from the ashes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, MT64 said:

I shall enjoy every day our club dishes this type of football out to us. With astute draft selections of new players long may this continue.

Mate, we, all of us must enjoy this time.

last 36 games only 4 losses, we are the top of the tree. 
it may not get this good again for any side,  keep the pedal to the metal. 
and recruit well,  cheers   Enjoy the weekend   Will your family in perf be supporting us or the eagles ?

• Like 2

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to The Veil of Negativity is gone … forever?
22 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

where?

Fox footy 360 extra. He was on for full hour. So passionate. 100% wants to coach next year. Was great to hear his insights 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 640MD said:

Mate, we, all of us must enjoy this time.

last 36 games only 4 losses, we are the top of the tree. 
it may not get this good again for any side,  keep the pedal to the metal. 
and recruit well,  cheers   Enjoy the weekend   Will your family in perf be supporting us or the eagles ?

Us of course but not really into footy.

• Like 1

I knew the VoN was gone for me this year when Tiges, Hawks and Saints had their little spurts, my first thought now is 'they will reset and stay calm', last year it was 'oh we are going to give it up here' (edited the expletives out). The fact that my instinctive response has changed is ground breaking. Where I always used to look for little factors that might make things easier for us, I just don't care anymore... interstate travel... yawn. Dominant fwd line.... whatever. Play the top half twice.... Poor them. 52y.o. supported the Dees since 5/6y.o. many many bad memories, the Fitzroy belting at Glen Waverly, 88 GF, Various players leaving Healy/ Spalding, dud recruiting of Moore and Templeton, could go on but we all know them.   

• Like 1