POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Demonland

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I’m going against the grain here, I know, but I thought Weid was good in patches, but still makes some fundamental errors. Kick inside 50 in the last quarter when he had three options to choose from and stuck it down an essendon players throat. Kicked the tough ones and missed ones directly in front . I do agree he deserves to continue in the team for now and TMac can have a spell, but he must eradicate these ‘panic moments’ and ‘pressure lapses’. It’s all in his head. The only way he clears this up though, a full 6 week block playing with the same blokes.  

He made an error but those three players did not do much to make that Essendon defender commit to defend them and open up the 50 for the others. They just led downhill, there was no V cut, there was no one willing to engage the defender to make it easier for the others.

Poor all round really.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought he should've been moved onto the ball in the 2nd quarter to give us some spark. But honestly Kozzie is fine, applies pressure around the forward line. Small forwards aren't going to hit the scoreboard every week and as a group we need ANB, Kozzie and Spargo to just play their roles. Was very congested in our forward line with Essendon flooding back and a few times Kozzie was in good position he was either ignored or skill errors missed him completely.

I don't think we use Kozzie enough either.
I see him loose and they don't go to him.

9 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Why would trac signal he thought it was touched. Just shut up trac. 

At the time I thought  he was signalling touched to his teammates so we could set up for a kick in had it been deemed a point. I think they review every goal when the ball is heading back to the middle.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Was not a happy boy on the bench. I think he’s definitely carrying something. 

It’s more than an I think, I suggest the mass of strapping around his knee is the give away. Clearly not moving tonight with his standard power and step through the stoppage. I would not be surprised if he is rested on a short turnaround unless its something that improves with time rather than rest. I am curious to see if any VFL players are not played today due to the short turnaround.

• Like 6

Always a great result beating Essendon, no matter the score line you just want the win! First off, the Bombers brought some heat. They had been smashed in the centre first couple of weeks, and hadn’t brought a lot of pressure, but they brought all of that. In years gone by we would’ve wilted, or even been scared. But this group ups the ante when other teams bring pressure. They go to level 3, we go the level 4, they go level 5, we go level 6. There just always seems to be an extra gear that we can go to. 

My thoughts on the players:

Gus was BOG for me, very harsh on my next player but IMO Gus played such a massive role for us last night. 20 marks for a midfielder is insane and he used it really well ALL NIGHT. 

Clarry second BOG, on a night where Trac is quiet you simply can’t imagine Clarry not having a big one. He was a midfield machine, clearance and after clearance, and while he wasn’t as clean with his kicking as Gus he was just so crucial at the important moments. 

Wied….ah Weid!!!! How good was that!? First game back in the team for ages, let’s also be honest he hasn’t had great form of late in practice matches and VFL (to be fair it annoyed me they didn’t give him one full pre-season match at FF). I don’t know any Melbourne fan who would’ve back him in to have 7 shots at 4.3. How amazing would it be if it’s clicked for him? 

Honourable mentions for Smith, Jackson, Bowser (what a gem!), and Viney (for his first half). 

I also have to say Langdon’s goal was absolutely ludicrous, his reaction reminded me of Akermanis when he couldn’t believe his goal had gone through. Call it reward for tireless effort.

I would say we’re going at about 70% at the moment and putting on the burners when needed. While ideally I would love us to be putting teams away earlier, this has a very familiar feeling to last season. Just keep banking the 4 points and doing what needs to be done. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 20

8 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Just back from the game. Will need to watch the replay but for much of the night it felt like watching a cat playing with a mouse. 

Loved this analogy 😅
Very apt.
Gonna repeat it to the Essendon fools I know this week.
Caught 'em early and made them look 3rd rate.(If only we could've kicked straight)
Whenever they made a run and thought they had a chance we'd lift, say "nope" and kick a couple for breathing room.
Got to the business end of the game and we just went chomp, chomp , chomp to snuff 'em out.

Will admit I got anxious during the 3rd but that was my MFCSS kicking in.
I can accept we'll lose a game here and there but not to Essendon god dammit.
They've been the source of much disappointment over the years.
After last years finals series the boys set the bar very high and I just want us to flogg every-one every week.
Still getting used to us being good .... Really good.
I'm a work in progress.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

There are no easy games. Happy with the win. Just me or the team look pretty flat after the game? 

Sic day break after playing a physical interstate game in a sauna.

Players were felling it and the bombers made tge match a grind. 

So def not fully arouses, so to speak.

No need to be really. Still kicked nigh on 100 points and won by 5 goals.

Super professional win, which in of itself makes it an impressive win.

• Like 6

I am so impressed with Gus this year. Also JJ on the wing has been very good and allowed him to spend time down back. It may become a permanent set up even when Rick and Salem  comes back. Gus is a great clubman and must get a decent long contract. We can’t afford to lose him.

• Like 3

A few players look to be carrying injuries:

• Rivers:  Knee and lower leg still heavily bandaged.  Had just 62% game time which is very low for our defenders.
  • Gawn:  Just doesn't look himself around the ground.  When on the ground he didn't drop back or forward very much.
  • Petracca:  Full leg bandage at training and knee bandaged for the game.  No where near his usual impact
  • May:  hasn't been able to chase for the last few weeks.

After Port they get a 9 day rest so its time to grit teeth, soldier on and bank the 4 pts.

• Like 8

Not one of our best wins. Essendon we’re pretty bad and we failed to capitalise on it. Very poor kicking.

On the plus side, Brayshaw and Oliver were great. Gawn had a much better game and marked well. Bowey is getting better and better. It was good that they were able to come back when the game was slipping away. I think they need to improve on kicking for next week. Essendon fans are worse than West Coast with their booing every time any other team than them touched the ball. Apart from that, I’m happy. We won. 😁

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, rpfc said:

He made an error but those three players did not do much to make that Essendon defender commit to defend them and open up the 50 for the others. They just led downhill, there was V cut, there was no one willing to engage the defender to make it easier for the others.

Poor all round really.

He should've just had a shot and I reckon they expected him to as well

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Petracca appeared to have an interesting role last night possibly to protect his knee but also to surprise the opposition.  

He had only 2 clearances which suggests he didn't attend many stoppages or the tactics were for him to play a defensive rather than his usual attacking role.  It looked like he was a decoy to lead his tagger (usually McGrath) away from the play/contest and stay out of Ess fwd line.  This allowed Oliver to run amok without anyone on him altho Caldwell tried but to no avail.

And it looked like Bowey took over some of Petracca's work, attending stoppages in our back half and playing higher up the ground when we attacked and to defend in the midfield.  All the while Brayshaw was like the Berlin wall with 20 marks.  Not much got past him.  A very good Lever clone albeit his work was just fwd of the d50 rather than inside the d50 as Lever usually does.

If my hunch is right about Petracca being a decoy to free up other players and reduce Ess attacking capability it was smart coaching and planning.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

In his press conf Goodwin wasn't too worried about their scoring efficiency:  20 scoring shots (10.10) from 39 i50.

He would have been rapt that we kept them to 39 i50!  39!!  That means the game is being played in our half of the ground.  Tough for any team to win with only 39 i50.  Gus was a huge part of keeping the ball out of their scoring zone.

• Like 3

Im really happy for Weid. 

Lets hope he can take some confidence in to next week and keep taking grabs and getting around the ground.

Im really interested to see out of the big 3 forwards (TMac BBB & Weid) what the combo is. Also tehre is a wildcard to keep an eye on in young Van Rooyen. Really like the look of this kid but competing against men KPD are a big ask week to week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Petracca appeared to have an interesting role last night possibly to protect his knee but also to surprise the opposition.  

He had only 2 clearances which suggests he didn't attend many stoppages or the tactics were for him to play a defensive rather than his usual attacking role.  It looked like he was a decoy and lead his tagger (usually McGrath) away from the play/contest and out of Ess fwd line.  This allowed Oliver to run amok without anyone on him altho Caldwell tried but to no avail.

And it looked like Bowey took over some of Petracca's work, attending stoppages in our back half and playing higher up the ground when we attacked and to defend in the midfield.  All the while Brayshaw was like the Berlin wall with 20 marks.  Not much got past him.  A very good Lever clone albeit his work was just fwd of the d50 rather than inside the d50 as Lever usually does.

If my hunch is right about Petracca being a decoy to free up other players and reduce Ess attacking capability it was smart coaching and planning.

I would rather Trac's 40 disposals than 20!! He does so much damage.

Thought  enough of their on  ballers got enough of the ball around the centre bounces!! 

The  major question was what was Trac hiding under his knee bandage? That's why he wasn't the usual match winner.

But what a goal. Was in front if me when he let his kick go and never looked like missing True class.

Great to see Wiede play his second best but most important game. We probs Lt wouldn't have won without his four goals although we butchered about 8/10 set shots early.

Harmsey good and great our wingers Ed and Gus. This Wingers Club is gaining points week after week now! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

That would be because of Sam’s links to the Collingwood great, Murray Weideman. BT is extremely one eyed!

Yeah I figured that was the reason. Extremely odd to see BT gushing over a Melbourne player regardless of why though.

2 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

In his press conf Goodwin wasn't too worried about their scoring efficiency:  20 scoring shots (10.10) from 39 i50.

He would have been rapt that we kept them to 39 i50!  39!!  That means the game is being played in our half of the ground.  Tough for any team to win with only 39 i50.  Gus was a huge part of keeping the ball out of their scoring zone.

Agree.

I think we had roughly 10 more scoring shots and if we kicked straight the game was never in doubt.

I think the game was a mix of the Bombers trying to stop us and us stopping their open game style and run. I only noted 2 - 3 occasions where the Bombers got on top and started to score. (in the second and 3rd terms) we then went back to strangling them around the ground and the game was over.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 58er said:

I would rather Trac's 40 disposals than 20!! He does so much damage.

Thought  enough of their on  ballers got enough of the ball around the centre bounces!! 

The  major question was what was Trac hiding under his knee bandage? That's why he wasn't the usual match winner.

But what a goal. Was in front if me when he let his kick go and never looked like missing True class.

Great to see Wiede play his second best but most important game. We probs Lt wouldn't have won without his four goals although we butchered about 8/10 set shots early.

Harmsey good and great our wingers Ed and Gus. This Wingers Club is gaining points week after week now! 

Dees are all about the team and i love that about this group.

Trac doing a role let Oliver and Harmes run around and get some ball. 

Plus you also wouold notice that the Bombers one player who could win the game for them didn't get many touches.

Edited by COVID Dan
  • Like 1

Sometimes Brayshaw's value to the team gets questioned, because he's been squeezed out of an elite midfield and could have become a bit of a third wheel.  When we are winning well, he is often quiet stats wise, which reinforces that.

But the way he has embraced his new role and the team first attitude he embodies are second to none.  Further when the chips are down and we're under fire, I find it's when he seems to most rise to the challenge, dig deep and keep us in the game.  Lingers Langdon is similar in this respects.  Core part of the team and great to see him getting the recognition he deserves for his hard work.  Doesn't play second fiddle to Clarry, Trac and Viney at all, just plays diferntly and plays a different role.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

So often, players like Harmes, ANB, Hunt, Sparrow, Rivers etc... don't get enough acclaim. Harmes was very good tonight, and Hunt had some moments, but the other three were poor. Twice, ANB did not commit when he should have and that is so unlike him. And Rivers' kicking has been a liability in the past 2 games.

The team is winning but our basic skills over the first 3 games have been absolute junk. 

I

I agree that this was not our most skillful game but for years I used to go and watch perhaps the most skillful and entertaining  player who has donned the Melbourne jumper - Robert Flower. His ability to read the play and deliver the ball from impossible situations has never been surpassed. The only problem was that we never won, despite Robbie's brilliance.

I would much rather the present situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

A few players look to be carrying injuries:

• Rivers:  Knee and lower leg still heavily bandaged.  Had just 62% game time which is very low for our defenders.
  • Gawn:  Just doesn't look himself around the ground.  When on the ground he didn't drop back or forward very much.
  • Petracca:  Full leg bandage at training and knee bandaged for the game.  No where near his usual impact
  • May:  hasn't been able to chase for the last few weeks.

After Port they get a 9 day rest so its time to grit teeth, soldier on and bank the 4 pts.

Port will be throwing themselves around Thursday night. If Lever is right, maybe May gets right. If Gawn is not right, Jackson and Weideman is entirely adequate as a duo for a month.

I just love how we have developed young players with specific roles so they fit seemlessly into the team.

I thought Salem was irreplaceable in 2021 and then along comes Bowey.

JJ now a fully fledged member of the wingers club, who can play in the mid if needed. Allows Brayshaw to go to the “mens department” or possibly into the midfield if clarry or trac weren’t there.

bedford looked ok in Rd1 in the Spargo/ANB/Kozzie role 

weid went ok in the Brown and Tmac role.

Petty covers the key defensive role, and I think could be good enough overhead to play other roles (fwd, or intercept defender if required)

Sparrow has started a bit slow this year (a bit fumbly and second guessing himself) but fits into the Viney/Harmes role.

haven’t even mentioned Dogga, but his development has meant that Max’s relatively slow start (although I thought last night was a step in right direction for Max, I think he thinks he is Stevie J after the 3rd Qtr of the Preliminary final!) is a non issue for us. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Once we get our accuracy right, that's when we blow them away Premership 3rd quarter+ style.  Mind you, I don't think our on ball, centre clearance game was quite as on tonight.  Gee that game against the Dogs was one 'out of the box'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, COVID Dan said:

Dees are all about the team and i love that about this group.

Trac foing a role let Oliver and Harmes run around and get some ball. 

Yes agreed to a point but I thought  our team mantra went a bit too far last night with overuse of a fourth and fifth handball!! 

41 minutes ago, binman said:

Sic day break after playing a physical interstate game in a sauna.

Players were felling it and the bombers made tge match a grind. 

So def not fully arouses, so to speak.

No need to be really. Still kicked nigh on 100 points and won by 5 goals.

Super professional win, which in of itself makes it an impressive win.

Very half full Binman and yes there were some great pluses 

Weide good Gus another  great game 3/4 on trot now inc. GF  Harmes on the scorebieard Vineys all round game and speed  Bowey continuing stellar firm and Maxy marking again. 

• Like 1