GAMEDAY: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Whispering_Jack

4 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Umps aren’t influencing this game. Our poor execution is though.

Well 11 frees to Bombers to our 2 since half way through the first quarter doesn’t help.

Bad kicking for goal also killing us.

13 minutes ago, BDA said:

why with the stupid close handballs. Its a wet night. Just get the ball into our forward 50 and stop [censored] farting about

I’m on level 4. Bombers flooding back. Long kicks not an option 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Cheating by the umps

How that wasn't insufficient intent like Lanhdon round one?

Just walking the ball across.

Fritta robbed.

Nine to two frees in their favor that quarter.

Makes a huge difference.

Anb needs to lift too as does Spargo.

Tmac needs to be dropped on his performance tonight so far. Slow, selfish and not a team player. It is clear tonight watching the game live at the G he still falls back into the old Melbourne FC mentality of I need to do everything rather than play my role in the team.

Trac more focussed in running through blokes instead of giving off the first option. 

Gawn has gone MIA.

McDonald is so cooked that he's struggling to to get to a contest from a speed point of view. Once the ball hits the ground he's a liability. 

Viney, Jordon and Oliver our best mids so far.

Harmes sloppy for the 3rd week in a row. 

Both Kozzie and Spargo need to pull their finger out. Have not once spotted them at the drop of the ball when we've entered forward 50. Both giving us nothing.

Backline doing a superb job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Action Jackson said:

100%. But we seem to do that in every 2nd quarter we play.

Stop over possessing and get the ball moving forward.

Our 2nd quarters have been an issue through all of Goodwin's era. We are repeatedly lazy, sloppy, don't give first option, make simple handling errors, and do those frustrating little hollywood things that give away goals. Essendon are really, really poor and we are keeping them in it. 

I FEEL like we are losing, but we are not. Can't we just annihilate these flogs?

They look like they have been hitting the bathwater hard. Defensive setup and forward pressure are great but the transition footy and finishing is rank. Should be ten goals up.

very disappointing, reminds me of a couple of years ago when essendon was crippled by players suspended or out due to injury and their drug bans and our players came out expecting to win and they beat us. This looks like that sort of night. We have so much talent out that they should not even be close. The amount of time in our forward line for very little return. need to shake up that forward line our smalls are really doing very little. 3rd quarters is reputedly our best, so i hope to hell they come out and play like the demons we know they are, instead of the demons of old.

One of the bad habits I've seen us get into this year (practice matches and the 3 home and away matches) is what I'm calling "4th quarter GF mode" where we start lairising and not treating our opponents with respect in the contest. Petracca has no right to think he can bullock out of every single contest, for example.

Add to that Kozzie and Spargo are giving us absolutely nothing, as are a few others, and no wonder we played a terrible quarter.

Our structures and our rock solid backline (lead by May, who got mad at Tomlinson for punching the ball out rather than marking it, to give you an idea of the spot-on headspace he is in) is still top notch, but our individuals are making stupid decisions borne out of ego or plain poor form I reckon.

13 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Pickett seriously has to do more

Barely sighted apart from that one mark at the end and the snap at goal earlier.

Backs doing a great job so far but we are also way too predictable on the rebound always heading to the left HBF.  I have yet to see any player across HB take the game on and pull the trigger through the middle other than Clarry on the end of a few chains in the first quarter.

Its all sideways and/or lateral towards the left boundary.

Maybe Essendrug are plugging the middle very well but....All this does is gives their mids, zone and defenders more time to set up and our forwards less chance of being hit up on a lead.

The above also makes our forward line too congested.  One of either Macca or Weid needs to be instructed to push up higher to make space out the back for others to lead into and/or Kozzie to crumb.  And boy does he need to start doing the basics like front and square / crumbing.  He's been super ordinary so far from what i have witnessed.

• Like 1

Need more from our small forwards, as when it hits the deck it is just waltzing out.

Kozzie needs to position himself in front of the contest not look for cheapies out the back. Need more from Spargo and Nibbler too.

TMAC should be leading up the ground with Weid filling in the space behind him. And FFS go through the middle not via the wings, better forward options will present that way (slow the ball movement if we have to).

Hunt playing well. Good to see. Despite playing poorly we look miles better than them. If we get things to click we'll score heavily, and fast

• Like 1

Sweet mother of god how I HATE Essendon fans. HATE EM. HATE EM ALL. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Good to see no one overreacting on here

Will still win but we seem very sloppy.

And there are a few like Tmac, Fritta and Kozzie looking ordinary again.