NON-MFC: Round 3, 2022

Demonland

1 hour ago, dee-tox said:

Is having a very good season.

Which should see a lengthy break of about 4 weeks for the shirtfront he delivered to the Swans player who went to ground dazed after he appeared to make head contact

Edited by picket fence

2 hours ago, Cards13 said:

He gets over excited kicking a goal = a germ? Yeap he sure does and it looks over the top at times but he’s still young and enjoying being an AFL player plus he worked really hard for this goals (and the only one to kick straight), the team is 0-2 and losing momentum… and it’s a game… it’s supposed to be entertaining. 

I've retracted the germ tag and regret including it in my first post...but it's not as simple as 'we don't like the way he high 5s after a goal'. We get he's an excitable young player and I said, he's pretty good. That's exciting for him, Dogs fans and neutrals.

But throw in the playing for free kicks (he is absolutely at Lindsay Thomas level if not worse to the poster who said they can't see it) together with the over-celebration and it paints a picture of him being disingenuous, somewhat arrogant, and perhaps presumptuous and almost entitled.

It's hard to describe - but there's a level of affectation that makes it seem like he's not even celebrating for himself, rather just to make a scene and get under people's noses, as he himself knows he perhaps hasn't earned what he's got. Certainly not to the point where he can celebrate like he's the best of all time. He knows he's annoying and it's very off-putting that he embraces it seemingly as a character trait. 

Put it this way - you're playing local footy and the opposition tackles you for a ball up. Everyone gets up off the ground and life goes on. Then this kid gets up in your face bouncing around whooping and carrying on about his teammate making a tackle. He doesn't direct it at you, but it's within sight and earshot and you know he's doing it at least partially to get your attention & annoyance. Now rinse and repeat, every game at every F50 stoppage.

It wouldnt take long for you to tell him to relax and calm down, failing which you'll probably run through him when you get the chance later in the game. He wins a free kick. He overcelebrates, and around we go again. 

There are those who play in the right spirit and those who don't. Doing it under the guise of 'thats just Cody being Cody', which in these PC days means he is immune from criticism, makes it even worse. 

He was the same draft as Koz and we did consider him closely. I was fan based on highlight videos as his talent is plain to see. It wasn't until I actually watched him over the course of a game that his behaviour became clearer. It has nothing to do with Koz - couldn't be happier he is ours.

Not everyone will get it as we all project our biases onto others, but this is what I see and what I find annoying. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

I've retracted the germ tag and regret including it in my first post...but it's not as simple as 'we don't like the way he high 5s after a goal'. We get he's an excitable young player and I said, he's pretty good. That's exciting for him, Dogs fans and neutrals.

But throw in the playing for free kicks (he is absolutely at Lindsay Thomas level if not worse to the poster who said they can't see it) together with the over-celebration and it paints a picture of him being disingenuous, somewhat arrogant, and perhaps presumptuous and almost entitled.

It's hard to describe - but there's a level of affectation that makes it seem like he's not even celebrating for himself, rather just to make a scene and get under people's noses, as he himself knows he perhaps hasn't earned what he's got. Certainly not to the point where he can celebrate like he's the best of all time. He knows he's annoying and it's very off-putting that he embraces it seemingly as a character trait. 

Put it this way - you're playing local footy and the opposition tackles you for a ball up. Everyone gets up off the ground and life goes on. Then this kid gets up in your face bouncing around whooping and carrying on about his teammate making a tackle. He doesn't direct it at you, but it's within sight and earshot and you know he's doing it at least partially to get your attention & annoyance. Now rinse and repeat, every game at every F50 stoppage.

It wouldnt take long for you to tell him to relax and calm down, failing which you'll probably run through him when you get the chance later in the game. He wins a free kick. He overcelebrates, and around we go again. 

There are those who play in the right spirit and those who don't. Doing it under the guise of 'thats just Cody being Cody', which in these PC days means he is immune from criticism, makes it even worse. 

He was the same draft as Koz and we did consider him closely. I was fan based on highlight videos as his talent is plain to see. It wasn't until I actually watched him over the course of a game that his behaviour became clearer. It has nothing to do with Koz - couldn't be happier he is ours.

Not everyone will get it as we all project our biases onto others, but this is what I see and what I find annoying. 

A good summary of Cody here

SEN last night commented (I can't remember who) that Weightman is a KPP in a small man's body, and thus flying for marks ect but not being on the ground where he is needed.  

In Kossie we got a true ground ball player with excitiemnt and pressure to boot..

Good teams need them - betts, Cameron, Stevie J , Cyril, and now Kossie.  Wweightman has some way to go to be of sustainable value.  Lst night he saved the Dogs but its something they can't rely on.  

49 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Show me examples of his diving (that was me saying he isn't Lindsay) and I'll happily review my option him, I just don't see it and I think you're looking for a reason to confirm why you just don't like him.

what-can-i-say-swans-coach-speechless-as-fans-stunned-by-dogs-free-kick-edge

• “This is getting out of hand,” Gerard Whateley said on AFL Nation after Chad Warner was pinged for a dangerous tackle in the third term.
  • Former Collingwood star and Brownlow medallist Dane Swan tweeted: “An unbiased opinion (mine) would say that dogs getting the rub of the green with the umps.”
  • Football commentator Brenton Speed said: “Umpiring tonight …? Oh boy!”
  • Sports reporter Andrew Wu said: “Swans fans feeling ripped off by the umpires in a game against the Bulldogs. Where have we heard that one before?”
  • Journalist Scott Murphy said: “Imagine how sad the umpires will be if the Swans win this.”
  • Comedian Titus O’Reilly joked: “Find someone who loves you like the umpires love the Bulldogs.”
  • Sports journalist Bulldogs fan Luke McGarry added: “I’m glad the umps are helping us tonight, many of our goal kickers aren’t.”

I think the free kick tally for 2nd and 3rd quarter was 17:3.  Whenever the Swans started to get going during that time a free kick would turn the tide.  Not saying all frees were undeserved but they sure are a momentum killer when there are that many to the opp and so many are missed for the team trying to get going.  The frees were even for the final quarter but the damage was done.

As often is the case it is when and where the frees are paid that can make be difference:  17:3 in two critical quarters is just WOW!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Show me examples of his diving (that was me saying he isn't Lindsay) and I'll happily review my option him, I just don't see it and I think you're looking for a reason to confirm why you just don't like him.

I don't have the time to go and hunt through footage. Maybe start with the EF against Essendon last year and otherwise, watch some full Bulldogs games and make an effort to observe his behaviour. 

I think I fairly clearly explained what I don't like and made clear it's about his behaviour, not what I think his true character might be. I've got nothing against him personally and wanted us to draft him at one point when like you I'd only seen his highlights and footy skills. 

You asked why people don't like him so I took the time to explain - then you turn around and say nah, you just don't like him? 

If you'd watched him enough you'd very likely agree. I know the vast majority of people feel as I do about him. 

Anyway, enough wasted breath and time on an opposition player - was trying to inform but if you're going to shut my view down anyway then let's move on 

1 minute ago, fr_ap said:

I don't have the time to go and hunt through footage. Maybe start with the EF against Essendon last year and otherwise, watch some full Bulldogs games and make an effort to observe his behaviour. 

I think I fairly clearly explained what I don't like and made clear it's about his behaviour, not what I think his true character might be. I've got nothing against him personally and wanted us to draft him at one point when like you I'd only seen his highlights and footy skills. 

You asked why people don't like him so I took the time to explain - then you turn around and say nah, you just don't like him? 

If you'd watched him enough you'd very likely agree. I know the vast majority of people feel as I do about him. 

Anyway, enough wasted breath and time on an opposition player - was trying to inform but if you're going to shut my view down anyway then let's move on 

I have watched the EF and all of the frees he was paid and there is not 1 example of him diving, the umpires may have got them wrong but they were not on him doing something wrong... I watch him closely because I think he is a good player and because of this ridiculous trope about him being a diver and unlikable. He was the Dogs best fwd last night. 

5 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

I have watched the EF and all of the frees he was paid and there is not 1 example of him diving, the umpires may have got them wrong but they were not on him doing something wrong... I watch him closely because I think he is a good player and because of this ridiculous trope about him being a diver and unlikable. He was the Dogs best fwd last night. 

Don't take me too literally on 'diving' - Diving/embellishing/seeking contact/looking for frees - this is what we're referring to. An overall approach in his game which is designed to win free kicks. 

He was their best forward last night, agree. He's a good player. 

If you don't see it now you probably never will - all good, agree to disagree

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Don't be fixated on 'diving' for frees.  You are right, he rarely does it.  But he does just about everything else to get a free.  Watch the Ess EF again.. 

The classic case of a missed free was where Taylor Duryea flattened a Sydney player, straight in his back and the commentators to my amusement said he executed the tackle perfectly so he didn't get in his back...lol

Later a Swans player executed the perfect tackle turning the opponent on his side and it was payed in the back.

It was a poorly umpired game and the 7 commentators aren't helping.

Free kick Hawthorn is definitely now free Kick Bulldogs...

• Angry 1

Switched over to watch the cricket at 9pm last night as I cannot stand how the Bulldogs play for free kicks. This was a real issue with Toby Mclean, Rhys Mathieson and others a few years ago, ducking and diving and most clubs addressed it as a bad look... the Bulldogs embraced it as a competitive advantage. 

I think umpires often pay the decision too early and if they let the play unfold you can see if it is genuine or acting. 

Some asked the question about why people on here hate Weightman so much, for mine as a former backman, i hated players who would milk holding, blocking or contact free kicks. Hated them even more when they smiled when it was paid. For me that is worth a good shirtfront. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

It emanates from the final against the Bombers last year, where he blatantly acted and got 5 frees, most of which weren't there. It was highlighted in the media at the time.  He scored a number of goals from those frees.

But yes he is a good player and I would be happy to have him in red and blue.

Edited by Redleg

11 hours ago, Darkhorse72 said:

I do love Titus’s quote from that article. We should all be so lucky. 

“Find someone who loves you like the umpires love the Bulldogs.”

• Like 1

My player of concern this week is No 5 for Dogs.Playing a little close to the edge. Umpiring is away with the fairies. Even a player who just kicked a thousand goals was bewildered..

Only 25k at the ground with plenty of swans supporters. Not many dogs at round 1 either after a successfulish year last year. Do the afl know the bulldogs can’t pull their own weight even when in contention for flags so feel the need to prop them up year after year with momentum turning decisions week after week going their way? Trying to bring supporters to them with a period of sustained relevance on the ladder. The way they talk up their stars who are actually b graders and the way they are umpired can only lead to this conspiracy theory having some meat on the bone.

6 hours ago, Cards13 said:

He gets over excited kicking a goal = a germ? Yeap he sure does and it looks over the top at times but he’s still young and enjoying being an AFL player plus he worked really hard for this goals (and the only one to kick straight), the team is 0-2 and losing momentum… and it’s a game… it’s supposed to be entertaining. 

You should listen to him mic'd up. Horrible antagonistic carry on that targets the oppo. As you point out, he is young and still making his way in the game, so perhaps he should tone it down and achieve something before carrying on like a pork chop. He is your typical 'rub it in the oppos face' player, even when he knows he has 'cheated' for a free. He is a pest. Look at the humility of Rivers, Bowey, Sparrow, Jackson - all players as young as he, who have medals around their necks. He is just another tip-rat with a silly vintage Doggies hat he bought at the op-shop. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JTR said:

That is a handy analysis. 

Looks like the umpires threw away the whistle for 'dissent ' against WB players and they missed a number of frees/50m, most of them at critical times in the game or in critical spots on the ground.

6 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Is having a very good season.

Is a good player and would be better if he could settle  in 1 position/role only as this year is showing.  The only issue is he looks like a ken doll.  It is all I see whenever I have looked at him. Does he do botox or stay out of the sun as he has no character lines on his face yet!  :)   

18 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

No they weren't. They were unlucky not to win by 40+ points. And I don't like them

You and I obviously view 9.17 very differently, particularly contextualised against the last 10 minutes of the game. I don't call having 26 scoring shots and walking away 9 point winners as 'unlucky'.

If they conceded those I50s against a more experienced side, albeit with the scoring shots that they had, they wouldn't've won that game. 

One man's lucky is another man's unlucky. 

4 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

You and I obviously view 9.17 very differently, particularly contextualised against the last 10 minutes of the game. I don't call having 26 scoring shots and walking away 9 point winners as 'unlucky'.

If they conceded those I50s against a more experienced side, albeit with the scoring shots that they had, they wouldn't've won that game. 

One man's lucky is another man's unlucky. 

But they didn't BLWNBA.

That's a little like the latest stat of 'expected score'. We were told that in some alternative reality we would have lost to the Suns last week. I'm a bit more in favour of reality reality.