NON-MFC: Round 2, 2022

Demonland

23 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

He did in his last year at the Saints and didn’t do anything to stop the issues, literature suggests helmets are ok at preventing some cuts and bruising on the head but does nothing to stop the brain bouncing around in the skull. 

I think that their use is very much a placebo if that makes sense.

Gus, even though consciously knows that they don't offer much protection if you take a hit to the head, apparently feels more comfortable wearing one. Call it a psychological thing.

44 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

That’s interesting. And I guess that’s why so few wear them. 

Yep. In some cases the Helmet actually makes the concussion worse, double vibration increases the brain movements 

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yep. In some cases the Helmet actually makes the concussion worse, double vibration increases the brain movements 

Does this apply to bicycle helmets?

22 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Does this apply to bicycle helmets?

It can. Every case can be different, which is why i am guessing some riders wear a soft helmet 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

A close relative of mine, a doctor, says wear your bicycle helmet. Even a small absorption of impact shock can mean the difference between dead and not dead.

I know of a doc who hit the kerb falling from his bike whose helmet split open  but who only had a mild headache.  He would almost certainly had a severe head injury, quite possibly death. 
I certainly wouldn’t cycle without one. No guarantees but it helps. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I think that their use is very much a placebo if that makes sense.

Gus, even though consciously knows that they don't offer much protection if you take a hit to the head, apparently feels more comfortable wearing one. Call it a psychological thing.

Yeap sure does and have heard him say as much, along with his mum wanting him to wear one. 

• Like 1

They all walk taller when he's out there.
Similar to when we'd wheel Lyon out in a wheelchair and prop him up in the goal square during the latter part of his career.

Paddy McCartin is finally able to show his abilities without the Draft pick 1, or concussion dialogue swirling round him. He looks composed, a great decision maker, a precise kick, and a very good contested mark. I have loved his footy  over these first 2 rounds. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FlashInThePan said:

This

We watched two teams with good attack and contest games but poor defence last night. The score line proves that unequivocally. The blues are going to be tougher to beat with that midfield firing and both Curnow and Mackay clunking marks. The blues were actually the scarier team from my view as they are starting to get their 2 way running game going. A number of times they managed to get an outnumber in defence through a number of their midfielders gut run. Their defensive structure still looks lacking though and Mcgovern has a fair way to go in trying to emulate Jake Lever.

I'm going to have to take back some of my disparaging comments about their list. Adding Cerra and Hewett has totally reshaped that midfield, the emergence of Kennedy has helped too. I'm really looking forward to playing them, the midfield battle will be something to watch.

Let them have the spotlight I say, will make for a more interesting and impactful fall from grace.

They are way over balanced with the offensive side of things. In the past 3 games they looks blistering in the first half and then meh in the second.

In all 3 they nearly got overrun and their defence got really exposed. 5 pts to an underman and out umpired Dees in a praccy, couple of goals to an injured Tigers and last night was another couple with an inaccurate Doggies. 

They certainly do have the cattle though but are probably 1-2 seasons away from really embedding the defensive mindset and selflessness that it takes to win the big dance. It took us 3 years from 2018 to realise and address our weaknesses. Not going to happen for the Blues in 3 months. 

Can’t wait to play them in the season proper though. 

I’m enjoying watching the swannies play, they’re so much more watchable without that [censored] Papley. And hats off to Paddy McCartin, massive first qtr.

I wonder how many more goals Buddy needs?

• Like 1