Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tasmanian AFL Team

Demonland

On 06/02/2024 at 10:25, Jibroni said:
8 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know I'll get uproar for this but I'm not sure I want a Tasmanian club.

Well if I do, I would like to eliminate gws or Gcs. Preferably the latter.

My response is from a totally selfish perspective.

More clubs increases the difficulty of winning a flag.

Ok it's exciting having a national comp.

But the in old days of 12 clubs you were more likely to win a cup than today's 18.

And while Tassie may not be a powerhouse like some istate clubs we have seen, it's possible it will get favored treatment and have unfair advantages.

Also look at the competition that Gws offer in such a short amount of time.

Food for thought.

If North or Hawthorn (or Saints) move there maybe ok - odd numbers just make the totally inequitable season scheduling even worse if possible.  

And all the comparisons with Geelong just reminds me of one more demand - frankly spending hundreds of millions on a stadium can wait, but FFS please AFL get one thing right.  
A proper sized and shaped ground ( NOT KP or SCG) with a stable surface right from the start. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know I'll get uproar for this but I'm not sure I want a Tasmanian club.

Well if I do, I would like to eliminate gws or Gcs. Preferably the latter.

My response is from a totally selfish perspective.

More clubs increases the difficulty of winning a flag.

Ok it's exciting having a national comp.

But the in old days of 12 clubs you were more likely to win a cup than today's 18.

And while Tassie may not be a powerhouse like some istate clubs we have seen, it's possible it will get favored treatment and have unfair advantages.

Also look at the competition that Gws offer in such a short amount of time.

Food for thought.

Correct, your response is selfish.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2024 at 21:47, Dingo said:

Tasmanian critics like Richard Flanagan say Tasmania can’t afford to pay for the team - there is no future economic benefit.

Richard Flanagan is put up as a shining beacon as to being a great Tasmanian.  He's not an economist, he's a writer who is heavily focused on the environmental issues. He has no clue on this, and shouldnt' be speaking. He also is a proponent of an alternative use for the land, and as such is biased.

Listen to someone like Saul Eastlake who at least IS an economist.

• Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, monoccular said:

If North or Hawthorn (or Saints) move there maybe ok - odd numbers just make the totally inequitable season scheduling even worse if possible.  

And all the comparisons with Geelong just reminds me of one more demand - frankly spending hundreds of millions on a stadium can wait, but FFS please AFL get one thing right.  
A proper sized and shaped ground ( NOT KP or SCG) with a stable surface right from the start. 

The stadium, like all of the stadiums seemingly in Australia is being built around the dimensions of the MCG, so is the high performance centre at Rosny.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

I think in the end it's going to be about listening to the people.

Their vote will count.

If they think there are more important issues than getting an AFL team so be it.

On 08/03/2024 at 10:55, TassieDevil said:

The ALP are certain they can renegotiate a deal with the AFL - they have no idea.

The AFL's idea of negotiating is telling you what needs to be done.

Correct, the ALP are being shown up as being even less 'transparent' than the govt on this, given that they are accusing of being the same in regards to the deal with the AFL. GWS and GC both had stadium upgrades being a component of coming into the league, this is no difference other than not being an AFL owned venture.
Bec White 'claims' to have already opened dialogue with the AFL about not putting a stadium in place. Andrew Dillon has come out and said words to the effect that no conversation with the AFL has commenced with her to his knowledge and nothing has changed. She also believes that the 18 clubs have no say on the re-negotiations she has put on the table with the AFL. 

Bec White also at the previous election campaigned that if they got in, they would build a brand new 15000 seat stadium  in Tasmania for Soccer, Rugby Union and Rugby League.  Of which NONE of the sports have a national team from Tasmania. it's just pure hypocrisy. This is her third attempt to win a state election as the opposition leader, rumours are very strong that Labor expect to lose, and can't wait to boot her out so that a new leader (likely who will support a stadium) can take over. The former leader David O'Byrne is running as an independent and is pro stadium. The labor party could have potentially won this election if they hadn't played wedge politics on this issue. 

Tas Liberal Government for all the faults, has come out and said that it doesn't want the launch of the team this week to be a political football, and has asked all of the liberal candidates to not attend the launch and let it be about the launch of the team, and the fans, and the people.... and of course Bec White is absolutely wanting it to be political, and is attending and no doubt trying to show 'support for the AFL team.'

Apologies for the rant!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rjay said:

I think in the end it's going to be about listening to the people.

Their vote will count.

If they think there are more important issues than getting an AFL team so be it.

Like... health, cost of living and the things that are issues everywhere that all State govts are managing so well? :)
It will come down to that too, but the biggest thing in this election is the increase of the house from 25 to 35 members, and the fact that it's more likely than not to be a minority govt. 

• Like 1

I was in Tassie for work a couple of months ago. Just before election announced. North west, then Launnie, then Hobart. Talked with stacks of locals: tradies and professionals. Most were against the deal. Many said the money was better spent elsewhere. I think the issues in Tassie are often different from mainland, and we fail to acknowledge that

• Like 1

No....they are being built for concerts i.e. like Baseball stadia because we are continually trying to be American

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Pretty passionate about this event today! It's  a massive day for football. First expansion club in a football state since 1997. Really hope politics just gets out of the way and this is a celebration of football, and what Tasmania has provided to AFL football. 

Also a little bit biased here as my daughter is working with AFL Tas, and a team gives her and others like her a great opportunity to be a part of! :)

Brisbane Council are on the verge of announcing a 3.4 Billion dollar stadium, and they are looking to effectively destroy the Gabba. This after they deemed the Gabba upgrade at 2.7 Billion too expensive!!!!
Tas Gov (not a council!) are putting forward 375Million. The stadium just needs to happen, in the heart of the capital city. Not a suburban ground upgrade of Bellerive, not in Launceston for centrality reasons (in a city of less than 72,000!)  There are almost 300k who live in the Sth of Tasmania! 

This is something to be celebrated.  Tassie provided the Dees with these players (From our own website)
Dale Anderson, Charlie Barnes, Ben Beams, Lloyd Bennett, Ray Biffin, Adrian Bowden, Claude Bryan, Noel Clarke, Cameron Clayton, John Clennett, James Cook, Brent Crosswell, Cec Cumberland, Harden Dean, Col Deane, Matthew Febey, Steven Febey, John Forster, Colin Garland, Bob Gormly, David Grant, Brad Green, Ray Groom, John Hamilton, Peter Hamilton, Jeremy Howe, Graham Hunnibell, Colin Jackson, R ‘Tassie’ Johnson, Peter Johnston, Andrew Lamprill, Noel Leary, Harry Long, Andy Lovell, Peter ‘Trunky’ Marquis, Tony Martyn, Lew Massey, Fred McGinis, Len Norman, Alf Oldham, Terry Peirce, Kerry Rattray, Michael Reynolds, Russell Robertson, Michael Seddon, Ike Sellers, Jamie Shanahan, Scott Sutcliffe, Tony Thiessen, Max Walker, Athol Webb, Geoff Whitton, Grant Williams, Mark Withers, Michael Young.

Plus Neitz and Lyon were born in Tassie so gonna claim them here too! :P

But thats just our great club. There are more stars that had fantastic careers elsewhere Alastair Lynch, Matthew Richardson, Nick and Jack Reiwoldt, Brendon Gale, Rodney Eade, Darren Pritchard, Paul and Peter Hudson, Darrell Baldock, Ian Stewart, Doug Barwick, Paul Williams, Royce Hart, John Devine, Paul Sproule, Michael Roach.

For people who say we don't deserve a side, think of how poorer this great game that we all love would be if you didn't have these players making it the game you love so much!  4 AFL legends, many many more hall of famers. Some of the best players to ever play the game of AFL came from Tasmania!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, dimmy said:

No....they are being built for concerts i.e. like Baseball stadia because we are continually trying to be American

and this is where they're completely delusional

big tours that can fill baseball stadiums - the likes of taylor swift, pink, fredagain etc. - play primarily in melbourne and sydney, not even brisbane, let alone perth or adelaide - they're never going to play in tasmania

when even fairly large acts like queens of the stone age play in tassie they're headlining tiny venues compared to what they can do in melbs or syds cos, well, hobart simply doesn't have the population to support tours by international acts

Edited by whatwhat say what

On 17/03/2024 at 11:11, Ouch! said:

Richard Flanagan is put up as a shining beacon as to being a great Tasmanian.  He's not an economist, he's a writer who is heavily focused on the environmental issues. He has no clue on this, and shouldnt' be speaking. He also is a proponent of an alternative use for the land, and as such is biased.

We shouldn’t listen to flanagan because he has bias and wants something different, and takes into account the opportunity cost by losing the land?

and moreover he shouldn’t even speak?

rightio then

ready The firing squad, I’ve got a long list 

Edited by Superunknown

I feel this will be a big disaster for the AFL, I do a lot of business in Tassie and I’d say around 70% of people i talk to don’t want it.

The stadium will be an eyesore plunked in a picturesque old world natural environment and I can’t see a lot of young players wanting to go there either.

• Angry 1

On 17/03/2024 at 11:28, Ouch! said:

Like... health, cost of living and the things that are issues everywhere that all State govts are managing so well? :)
It will come down to that too, but the biggest thing in this election is the increase of the house from 25 to 35 members, and the fact that it's more likely than not to be a minority govt. 

not to nit pick but if you want the cost of living tackled , talk to the feds

650k net migration last CY = huge pressure on built housing stock = rent through roof (contributor to CPI)plus extra demand - states have to foot the bill for roads schools and hospitals

negative gearing plus CGT concessions = contributes to IP forcing up costs via OO at auctions= bigger mortgages and lost tax revenue

supernnuation concessions = lost revenue

the absolute national treason that is the gas cartel selling $1/GJ gas at net back gas floor (not cap) of $12. Our own gas. Sheer bastardry. Gas sets marginal price of electricity

lack of competition everywhere = monopolised rents and oligopoly 

who controls energy policy (hint hint dom gas reservation and taxing outsized profits), tax and competition policy, immigration 

may as well chuck thhe failure to implement AML tranche 3 laws (hint hint real estate)

it ain’t the states

Edited by Superunknown

23 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I feel this will be a big disaster for the AFL, I do a lot of business in Tassie and I’d say around 70% of people i talk to don’t want it.

The stadium will be an eyesore plunked in a picturesque old world natural environment and I can’t see a lot of young players wanting to go there either.

The state govt hasn't even announced design pictures, and the alternative https://www.stadiaprecinct.com/ isn't an eyesore.  You are calling the port a picturesque old world environment? it's reclaimed land.
Macquarie Point Precinct - Tasmanian Polar Network

Re young players, the AFLPA has already done surveys of male and female players, and there were no issues with people wanting to live here. For someone who 'does a lot of business' here you seem to have a pretty negative view of the state.  

5 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

The state govt hasn't even announced design pictures, and the alternative https://www.stadiaprecinct.com/ isn't an eyesore.  You are calling the port a picturesque old world environment? it's reclaimed land.
Macquarie Point Precinct - Tasmanian Polar Network

Re young players, the AFLPA has already done surveys of male and female players, and there were no issues with people wanting to live here. For someone who 'does a lot of business' here you seem to have a pretty negative view of the state.  

I love the state.

im just relaying the feedback I have gotten from a lot of my clients.

44 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Incidentally, this is what a lot of the public were given as an artists render of what the stadium would look like. This image was produced by the architect behind Richard Flannigan's 'alternative' vision for Mac Pt incidentally.
Anti-stadium group Our Place have enlisted architect Shamus Mulcahy to create an artist's impression of the Macquarie Point stadium, using the dimensions and height that have been made publicly available by the government

Firstly no designs are even released, this is an 'impression' based upon Marvel Stadium. But they put it out into all of the media and newspapers, so of course people thought it would be ugly.

Premier Jeremy Rockliff shared the “real” stadium impact from the waterfront of the proposed at Macquarie Point.

The image in the background is what the perspective would more likely look like. But it was too late with the doctored image that was already in the media. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I love the state.

im just relaying the feedback I have gotten from a lot of my clients.

Was it your comment or your client's calling it a picturesque old world environment?  it's reclaimed land that has had a woodchip port and a waste water treatment site on it. Either of these stadiums could be iconic in terms of location to the water, mountain and city. Why the perception that it would detract from the environment especially when no design plans have been released for this.  2.0 is impressive also.

Edited by Ouch!

On 17/03/2024 at 06:36, Stiff Arm said:

I was in Tassie for work a couple of months ago. Just before election announced. North west, then Launnie, then Hobart. Talked with stacks of locals: tradies and professionals. Most were against the deal. Many said the money was better spent elsewhere. I think the issues in Tassie are often different from mainland, and we fail to acknowledge that

And they fail to understand the money won't be spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Ouch! said:

Incidentally, this is what a lot of the public were given as an artists render of what the stadium would look like. This image was produced by the architect behind Richard Flannigan's 'alternative' vision for Mac Pt incidentally.
Anti-stadium group Our Place have enlisted architect Shamus Mulcahy to create an artist's impression of the Macquarie Point stadium, using the dimensions and height that have been made publicly available by the government

Firstly no designs are even released, this is an 'impression' based upon Marvel Stadium. But they put it out into all of the media and newspapers, so of course people thought it would be ugly.

Premier Jeremy Rockliff shared the “real” stadium impact from the waterfront of the proposed at Macquarie Point.

The image in the background is what the perspective would more likely look like. But it was too late with the doctored image that was already in the media. 

...and, anyway, it's not that Hobartians are unfamiliar with looming modern man-made structures in the vicinity...

image.png.7a8e2d82a03feb1b9fe13620b67ba842.png

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew