MFCSS is changing

The playing group's goal is to change how supporters feel about the team . Talk is cheap .

They want us to be able to TRUST the team . They want us to go to EVERY game KNOWING the team will have a crack EVERY week .

Goody talked about this again this week .

They have convinced me ( always happy to change ) with their actions  .

My MFCSS has changed . Anyone else ?

• Like 2

Not for me unfortunately. What I'm seeing on the field is pleasing and different to many of the false dawns I've witnessed in the past. However my MFCSS is so ingrained that I keep expecting the wheels to fall off at every turn. Only a premiership will alleviate the negativity that I have in my head and my heart and even then it will only be a band aid until the next season. Perhaps a three-peat will help ...

• Like 20
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Not for me unfortunately. What I'm seeing on the field is pleasing and different to many of the false dawns I've witnessed in the past. However my MFCSS is so ingrained that I keep expecting the wheels to fall off at every turn. Only a premiership will alleviate the negativity that I have in my head and my heart and even then it will only be a band aid until the next season. Perhaps a three-peat will help ...

Sums up my own feelings perfectly.

• Like 4

MFCSS is very much alive.

Each year brings a reminder.

Last year it was Cairns and this year until the ten minute mark of the last quarter it could have been North Melbourne.

Even if we go through the season relatively undefeated one just cannot help but think we'll stuff up the finals.

MFCSS = Lowering one's expectations and thus preventing disappointment

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

@Craig Hutchinson- I too am feeling cured.  Can testify to feeling nowhere near the same levels of anxiety that I used to feel even when the team gets behind.  THis is in contrast to not so distant moments in the past where I thought the sky was falling in when we gave up a lead and went down by two goals or something similar. 

This must be what opposition team supporters feel like when watching football.  It's great!

• Love 1

I was never a MFCSS sufferer, so this season has just been very enjoyable.

But I have noticed that the season has made a lot of supporters uncomfortable, probably because they are torn. They know that we are a good team, but they've defined their whole supporter experience as being that of a loser. Losing is their comfort zone. They know all the jokes about their team being terrible. They know how to react when someone says they're terrible but don't know how to react when we're good. Like someone who has just lost 50kg and they still see themselves as a fat person who is masquerading as a skinny person. 

I think a lot of supporters are still finding their feet as to who they are as football supporters, now that their football world has been tipped upside down. I think it may take some people a long time. Maybe they'll be telling people that they're still a few kilos overweight forever. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Trust takes time to build. We’ve been conditioned for over 50 years to expect the wheels to fall off. It takes more than 8 games in March and April to build trust again.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Trust takes time to build. We’ve been conditioned for over 50 years to expect the wheels to fall off. It takes more than 8 games in March and April to build trust again.

We should be adopting the players mantra. We start each game zero-zero, but know we have what it takes to win if we bring our best. 

Edited by Deetective Sgt. Taggert
  • Love 1

Need a pillar to post flogging of some lower teams - coming out hot against Carlton would help.

The wins against Syd, Cats, Tigers are slowly making me come around.

Beating the Crows and dogs would help, Lions could go either way, then [censored] the Pies.

Basically not roll over.

It's interesting to note on the Carlton board one person said they think MFC has one - and one only - lazy player (wonder who that is) which to me is a good sign. Team first, pressure forward and back, not giving up....things have changed. I won't be convinced until the acid is REALLY on (Eagles in Perth?) and we stay close/fight back and don't roll over.

• Like 1

MFCSS will be exorcised when we are 10 goals up with two minutes to go in a grand final (or when the siren goes when we are in front, whichever comes sooner)

Edited by BillyBeane
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, let's just call it an encouraging remission with 'monitor closely for symptoms' instructions from the doctor.

I am heartened by the fact that even a pretty ordinary list would be in contention every game if playing with the determination and system we have right now.

As it is, sometimes our effort level will be enough to cover a poor skills day and sometimes our talent will be able to cover a poor effort day. It is still a surprise to be 8-0 - no club would or should ever expect to never slip up - but we are doing what it takes to put an ordinary team into finals and a good team into top 4.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Altona-demon said:

Can testify to feeling nowhere near the same levels of anxiety that I used to feel  

I am the complete opposite. My anxiety is next level this season. It’s off the charts! I can’t eat on game day, and I can only relax once that siren sounds and we’ve won. I guess in previous seasons there was a sense of resignation. This winning thing is something that’s gonna take time to get used to. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd rather be labelled an 'Imposter at the top of the ladder' as we haven't had numerous 10 goal wins... due to certain biases rather than a down hill skiing club.

If anything the last 8 weeks has put that conversation to bed, by the constant resilience shown at different times throughout our games. 

Blowing teams away is sexy and feels good - but this team, just keeps going and going and going, irrespective of strategies used to diminish our better players and at times good luck with injuries/outs to other teams.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2

It's been a long time since I posted on this site but this thread gives me something useful to throw in I reckon. I was at the 64 Grand Final and have been following the team for a long time now. I can't remember a time when it was this much fun to be Dees supporter. The Club is doing everything right this year so far. The team is clearly and obviously playing as a team and as such, despite the scores at times, has looked the better team in each of our 8 games. We have genuine stars all over the ground, many of them in their prime. Form is temporary but class is permanent. We look very fit. Our 2's are winning easily and there are a number of good players who can't get a game. We have locked in the core of our team on long term contracts. 

I challenge anyone to recall a period of time in the past 60 years when we have looked this good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I was wrong to say cured . Treated with drugs that work is a better descrition .

Gone is the terrible feeling when were favourites in a game . Not willing to believe we will win until the last siren . Hoping for a win . Thinking that X , Y and Z need to fire  for us to win . Which team will show up ?

I trust them now and it feels great.  I still always worry our goal kicking could let us down , I worry about injuries , don't mention umpires etc etc

My cure is One [censored] !

Just now, Craig Hutchinson said:

Why was Flag censored ?

You probably typed an o instead of the a in flag.

• Haha 1