Luke Jackson - Rising Star nomination

Chelly

13 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Big action Luke Jackson got us right into the game vs North.

Im loving how there is someone different each week stepping up to alter outcomes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

The Goodes comparison works for me. Also, Jimma?

Just has to learn to squirrel grip opponents, whine to the umpires and slide his knees into opponents on the ground and the Brownlow is Luke's for the taking....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 5
  • Shocked 1

I'm not for the Goodes comparison. Goodes was a linebreaking, power athlete who played ruck at certain times because he wasn't being exposed by him opponents. His best ruck year was comfortably 2003, and he only averaged 12 hitouts a game that year whilst his back up ruck Jason Ball averaged 15. Playing Goodes in the ruck was the equivalent of playing Joel Smith in the ruck, if Joel Smith was a superstar. Also, Goodes was a straight line runner with immense power. He broke into open space and, once he got there, he was devastating. Such a good player to watch.

Jackson is more like a ballet dancer. He's all twists and turns, dancing feet, doing his best work in close confines. There isn't really a good example of him in the game, I don't think. The skills he has are unique, especially in a player of his size. It's hard to know just what he'll end up being because there isn't really a great reference for him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Axis of Bob said:

I'm not for the Goodes comparison. Goodes was a linebreaking, power athlete who played ruck at certain times because he wasn't being exposed by him opponents. His best ruck year was comfortably 2003, and he only averaged 12 hitouts a game that year whilst his back up ruck Jason Ball averaged 15. Playing Goodes in the ruck was the equivalent of playing Joel Smith in the ruck, if Joel Smith was a superstar. Also, Goodes was a straight line runner with immense power. He broke into open space and, once he got there, he was devastating. Such a good player to watch.

Jackson is more like a ballet dancer. He's all twists and turns, dancing feet, doing his best work in close confines. There isn't really a good example of him in the game, I don't think. The skills he has are unique, especially in a player of his size. It's hard to know just what he'll end up being because there isn't really a great reference for him. 

Agree with that AOB, although i do put the bloke from Geelong as being close.

11 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Agree with that AOB, although i do put the bloke from Geelong as being close.

Rhys Stanley? ?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Just has to learn to squirrel grip opponents, whine to the umpires and slide his knees into opponents on the ground and the Brownlow is Luke's for the taking....

Ouch!

What about Jimma? (though I take Bob's point on the ballet skills, which weren't in Stynes's playbook) I'm thinking of the combination of in-the-air and off-the-ground skills.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

And cannon into the back of an opponent unexpectedly and knock him flat on the ground. A cowardly act which caused our fans to boooo him every time he touched the ball that day.  And deservedly so 

• Facepalm 5

Brodie Grundy like, just not the 2021 version. 

Considering where this kid is placed at the minute his upside is off the charts.

13 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

Jackson is more like a ballet dancer. He's all twists and turns, dancing feet, doing his best work in close confines.

There isn't really a good example of him in the game, I don't think.

The skills he has are unique, especially in a player of his size. It's hard to know just what he'll end up being because there isn't really a great reference for him. 

A great analogy.

By his mid twenties he will be a top5 player in the AFL. Of that i have no doubt. A star. 

His versatility and athleticism means there is almost no position they can't play him in, bar small defender. Which will give his coaches so many tactical options - something we have seen already this year in the way they have been able to use Max.

No better example than on the weekend. Gawn was having his worst game for the year. Which is understandable given how hard he works. And Goldie was winning that contest.  

Jackson taking the ruck duties changed that dynamic and created a tactical problem for Noble - do they run Goldy against Jackson in the ruck and risk Gawn getting off the chain. Or do they keep Goldy on max and risk Jackson dominating.

They largely opted for the latter and Jackson was instrumental in changing the momentum of the game and setting up a win for us.  

taylor is going to leave an amazing legacy, for all his work. But in 2019 he was inspired - kossie, rivers and Jackson. Reminds me so much of the year that the hawks got Buddy, Roughhead and Hodge. 

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the no doubt multiple meetings where Taylor was making his case for all three players (there is some great video somewhere of him and some coaches looking at vison of Kossie, including that crazy tackle he laid in a SANFL reserves game)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Absolutely deserved the nomination.
LJ really turned the game and his 2nd efforts were the highlight. 

And he’ll only get better.  He can be a ruckman and ruck-rover type to really uplift our midfield to a new level. 

Gawn is still #1 but when we need to, LJ brings a new dimension to the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

A great analogy.

By his mid twenties he will be a top5 player in the AFL. Of that i have no doubt. A star. 

His versatility and athleticism means there is almost no position they can't play him in, bar small defender. Which will give his coaches so many tactical options - something we have seen already this year in the way they have been able to use Max.

No better example than on the weekend. Gawn was having his worst game for the year. Which is understandable given how hard he works. And Goldie was winning that contest.  

Jackson taking the ruck duties changed that dynamic and created a tactical problem for Noble - do they run Goldy against Jackson in the ruck and risk Gawn getting off the chain. Or do they keep Goldy on max and risk Jackson dominating.

They largely opted for the latter and Jackson was instrumental in changing the momentum of the game and setting up a win for us.  

taylor is going to leave an amazing legacy, for all his work. But in 2019 he was inspired - kossie, rivers and Jackson. Reminds me so much of the year that the hawks got Buddy, Roughhead and Hodge. 

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the no doubt multiple meetings where Taylor was making his case for all three players (there is some great video somewhere of him and some coaches looking at vison of Kossie, including that crazy tackle he laid in a SANFL reserves game)

Agree with everything (except hodge was a different year to buddy/roughy)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adonski said:

Luke Jackson has set a new career high disposal numbers, three games in a row:

image.png.a827ec285bbf805cd94eaabe73d092b4.png

The numbers are nice but how cool, clean and damaging looks while getting them is even better.  The impact is unreal. 

And heres another player comparison -  David Schwarz before the ACL's.   Not in playing style or forward craft, but how the big unit LJ glides and spins around like a ballerina just like Schwarta did.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, binman said:

Stinger is right Bin, but change Hodge to Lewis and your argument works perfectly.

• Like 3

Also this might be the first week when a team will have to spend some good preparation time thinking  "How do we stop Luke Jackson having an influence?  Who the hell do we put on him?  Hes 198cm but plays a like a mid ..  he had 22 touches and changed the game last week.. 11 possessions in the 3rd quarter alone...  he gives them a totally different look in the ruck too and he follows up his tap work at ground level. He just never stops.  What will we do?"

And that will now be the norm for opposition team meetings until the day he hangs up the boots!

• Like 1

Dogga reminds me just a little of a taller version of Dermy... and i'm talking the VERY young rookie version of Dermy.

As to where his development and career takes him from here?  I'm sure he will no doubt be (and already is) very different also and write his own story.  A very juicy start though that's for sure.  Good luck Dogga....fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder, spit spit & all that.

6 hours ago, willmoy said:

No, Blicavs

5 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

I think Jackson plays a bit like a cross between Bontempelli, Blicavs and Marshall.

4 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

What about Koutoufides - I see a bit of that in him

I personally think he plays like Luke Jackson - and others will try, in vain, to emulate him. 

• Like 1